Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Warpack The Scourge elimination thread

The Scourge Warpack Kugath

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

Killax

Killax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2108 posts

Hello and welcome, the "long awaited" Warpack: The Scourge is out now and most people just recieved their packs and looking forward to play with them.

Because of the great cards included in it I think it's time to start the elimination process.

For those of you who have not seen an elimination thread before, an explanation.
The idea is that we as a community decide on a ranking of all of the cards in this Warpack.

- Every card starts on 15 points.
- Once per day, you can vote on this thread to decrease the score of a single card by 3 points, and increase the score of a single card by 1 point. This will change once the list contains 12 cards and once again once the list contains 6 cards.
- The best way to do this is to copy and paste the list from the previous poster and input the scores.
- Reasons for scores would be nice.

I will do my best to check these every day, amending arithmetic and if it arises dealing with ninjas.
Once a card is reduced to 0 or less it is eliminated.

Once we get down to less cards these values will increase to speed up the process.

- This set contains 17 unique cards (without Warlord and signature cards)

- The process will be speed up once we reach 12 cards ( +1 / -6)

- The process will be speed up once we reach 6 cards (+1 / -9) 

Here is the list. My next post will then be my vote so you can see exactly how I intend it to work.

Morkai Rune Priest 15

Fenrisian Wolf 15

Iron Guard Recruits 15

Dozer Blade 15

Inquisitorial Fortress 15

Attack Squig Herd 15

Dakka Dakka Dakka! 15

Kustom Field Generator 15

Klaivex Warleader 15

Bladed Lotus Rifle 15

Soul Seizure 15

Black Guardians 15

Death from Above 15

Dome of Crystal Seers 15

Brok'an Recruits 15

Kauyon Strike 15

Blacksun Filter 15

(Thanks VonWibble for the rules!)

LET THE ELIMINATION BEGIN

Killax

Killax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2108 posts

Morkai Rune Priest 15

Fenrisian Wolf 15

Iron Guard Recruits 15

Dozer Blade 15

Attack Squig Herd 15

Dakka Dakka Dakka! 16 (+1)

Klaivex Warleader 15

Bladed Lotus Rifle 15

Soul Seizure 15

Black Guardians 15

Death from Above 15

Dome of Crystal Seers 15

Brok'an Recruits 15

Kauyon Strike 15

Blacksun Filter 12 (-3)

Dakka Dakka Dakka! Is what makes Orks competative and I am really happy with them reaching that level.

Blacksun Filter seems even more useless as the Bladed Lotus Rifle in special because the Tau Attachment Warlord likely won't even use it.

Kaic

Kaic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Morkai Rune Priest 15

Fenrisian Wolf 15

Iron Guard Recruits 15

Dozer Blade 12 (-3)

Attack Squig Herd 15

Dakka Dakka Dakka! 16

Klaivex Warleader 16 (+1)

Bladed Lotus Rifle 15

Soul Seizure 15

Black Guardians 15

Death from Above 15

Dome of Crystal Seers 15

Brok'an Recruits 15

Kauyon Strike 15

Blacksun Filter 12

I see no reason to upvote the obvious winner of this pack this early one (DDD).  I'm giving my upvote to Klaivex Warleader, I can't wait to get my hands on this card!  It is a great answer to those hard to kill targets.  Unfortunately, since it's cost is so high it is easy to see coming.  That doesn't stop it from being a good card, but will probably hurt it's final ranking a bit.  -3 to Dozer Blade, I don't see AM vehicle decks as a very competitive option yet and the best target for this, assault Valkyrie, doesn't make any thematic sense.

• Killax likes this

FedericoFasullo

FedericoFasullo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1056 posts

Morkai Rune Priest 15

Fenrisian Wolf 15

Iron Guard Recruits 15

Dozer Blade 12 

Attack Squig Herd 15

Dakka Dakka Dakka! 17 +1 

Klaivex Warleader 16

Bladed Lotus Rifle 12 -3

Soul Seizure 15

Black Guardians 15

Death from Above 15

Dome of Crystal Seers 15

Brok'an Recruits 15

Kauyon Strike 15

Blacksun Filter 12

Asmoridin

Asmoridin

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Morkai Rune Priest 15

Fenrisian Wolf 15

Iron Guard Recruits 15

Dozer Blade 12 

Attack Squig Herd 15

Dakka Dakka Dakka! 18 (+1)

Klaivex Warleader 16

Bladed Lotus Rifle 12

Soul Seizure 15

Black Guardians 15

Death from Above 15

Dome of Crystal Seers 15

Brok'an Recruits 15

Kauyon Strike 15

Blacksun Filter 9 (-3)

Upvoted Dakka- hard to argue with how much this card is going to change the game, and it's a card several decks are going to have to think about when you build them.

I downvoted Blacksun Filter.  I just can't see using it, but I admittedly don't have the pack to actually test it out yet.

• Killax likes this

LucaGirolami

LucaGirolami

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Morkai Rune Priest 15

Fenrisian Wolf 15

Iron Guard Recruits 15

Dozer Blade 12 

Attack Squig Herd 15 (-3)

Dakka Dakka Dakka! 18 (+1)

Klaivex Warleader 16

Bladed Lotus Rifle 12

Soul Seizure 15

Black Guardians 15

Death from Above 15

Dome of Crystal Seers 15

Brok'an Recruits 15

Kauyon Strike 15

Blacksun Filter 9

DDD is a meta-changer. I won't play orks in any way possible, but I feel the game will change once this pack will be released. Thanks to DDD, in my opinion. Anything that makes a game changing has my admiration. "Who stops is lost" is an old tuscan saying.

I downvoted Attack Squig Herd. This card has nothing: no interesting trait, no interesting cost/strenght, no immunities, no abilities... I would gladly take my words back if anytime a squig/creature synergy comes up. I don't like the fluff-wise too.

• Killax likes this

VonWibble

VonWibble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2996 posts
Scores updated as LucaGirolami didn't change them.

Morkai Rune Priest 15
Fenrisian Wolf 15
Iron Guard Recruits 15
Dozer Blade 12
Inquisitorial Fortress 16
Attack Squig Herd 12
Dakka Dakka Dakka! 19
Kustom Field Generator 15
Klaivex Warleader 16
Bladed Lotus Rifle 12
Soul Seizure 15
Black Guardians 15
Death from Above 15
Dome of Crystal Seers 15
Brok'an Recruits 15
Kauyon Strike 15
Blacksun Filter 6 (-3)

Upvoting Inquisitorial Fortress, it is comparable to Archon's Terror which is one of the best cards in the game. Sure it is telegraphed, but so are most strong combat action plays - and this one could win you a command struggle instead if you use it in deployment.

Blacksun Filter - Like a less reliable reducer - in its best case scenario. Needed to be 1 resource and 1 card or 2 resources to be worth considering.
  • Killax likes this

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts

Much as I love elimination threads, this one is way too soon.

Yeah, I know I've splattered my opinion all over the card previews, but I can (and will) go back to say "oops I was wrong" on cards, whereas elimination threads give such permanent answers!

I'm not done testing the cards yet, will read this thread for now, but don't feel ready to pass definitive judgment. Expect me to say lots about why choices are wrong though!

• snagga and Kaic like this

jeermaster

jeermaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Morkai Rune Priest 15
Fenrisian Wolf 15
Iron Guard Recruits 15
Dozer Blade 12
Attack Squig Herd 12
Dakka Dakka Dakka! 19
Klaivex Warleader 17 (+1)
Bladed Lotus Rifle 12
Soul Seizure 15
Black Guardians 15
Death from Above 15
Dome of Crystal Seers 15
Brok'an Recruits 15
Kauyon Strike 15
Blacksun Filter 3 (-3)

Agree with Asklepios for the most part but that still doesn't mean that I can't downvote the freaking filter.

FedericoFasullo

FedericoFasullo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1056 posts

Morkai Rune Priest 15
Fenrisian Wolf 15
Iron Guard Recruits 15
Dozer Blade 12
Attack Squig Herd 12
Dakka Dakka Dakka! 19
Klaivex Warleader 18 (+1)
Bladed Lotus Rifle 12
Soul Seizure 15
Black Guardians 15
Death from Above 12 -3
Dome of Crystal Seers 15
Brok'an Recruits 15
Kauyon Strike 15
Blacksun Filter 3 

Death from above is really a bad card, it waste a slot just to reduce the cost of an unit (a non elite veicle, not a generic unit). Dump

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts

Non-elite mobile unit actually, and the prediction of many is that this is suggesting we'll see a mobile signature squad for the last Eldar Warlord, which would make this card very viable.

My comments on the card page pretty much covers my thoughts, but essentially its that the numbers don't look great on paper, but its an effect that suits the Eldar long game and can help tip the balance in a key battle or deploy phase.

Small balance tippers have board advantage value. Card/resource advantage isn't everything (as the strength of a card like Suppressive Fire shows): tempo control and surged strength are important too.

This puts DFA somewhere around the middle of the bunch I believe.

However, hard to say till its been tested...

• Killax likes this

FedericoFasullo

FedericoFasullo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1056 posts

This card is bad due to:

- non-elite: so you will gain something like 2 credit at best

- last planet: wow

- mobile restriction: ok, you will see more card with mobile, who cares? to trigger this card you still need both this card and a mobile unit, how many of them you need in your deck to don't make it a dead card? 

- "bigga is betta" is betta

Killax

Killax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2108 posts

Morkai Rune Priest 15
Fenrisian Wolf 15
Iron Guard Recruits 15
Dozer Blade 12
Attack Squig Herd 12
Dakka Dakka Dakka! 19
Klaivex Warleader 18 
Bladed Lotus Rifle 12
Soul Seizure 15
Black Guardians 15
Death from Above 12 
Dome of Crystal Seers 15
Bork'an Recruits 15 (+1)
Kauyon Strike 15

Blacksun Filter 0 (-3) - ELIMINATED

Decided it was time for the worst card in this pack to be gone. Even when attached to opposing units this card does to little, gaining additional information of your opponent is not worth 1 card unless you instantly gain other benifits (which is why Promotion is ballin')

An up for the Bork'an Recruits (OOPS I MISSPELLED IT INITIALLY) because it's great for any Tau Warlord and allied Warlords. All in all this card is a beast.

This card is bad due to:

- non-elite: so you will gain something like 2 credit at best

- last planet: wow

- mobile restriction: ok, you will see more card with mobile, who cares? to trigger this card you still need both this card and a mobile unit, how many of them you need in your deck to don't make it a dead card? 

- "bigga is betta" is betta

I can't agree with you, while it gains less Rources I do feel this card can become insanely powerfull once you are able to drop 3-4 drops with them. These big bodies also initially mean your opponent will have a tough descision to make when commiting as these 3-4 drops are also Mobile.
- Granted I do feel the card is at best on the initial turn and becomes worse afterwards.

The last planet can be as much interesting as any other, discarding the card because of that is no real reason. This always depends on the Planet Line up so might as well say Mobile is worth nothing, that statement is very wrong.

I care about Mobile because it allows you to set up much more flexible for battle. As the Mobile units have currently allready shown in a competative setting this can be very important. In special because there are options to move your opponents units away, options to heavily punish heavy commitment on a single planet and even can create unexpected advantages with Foresight for example.

Bigga is Betta is a signature card and therefore by devault unable to be compared with other Events.

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts

Agree with you Killax, though of course I'm not using Death From Above yet.

My thinking for Eldar is that we need an alliance that is going to give us at least 12 Mobile cards of value to play with DFA.

Right now, if you go tau we get Piranha Hunter, Soaring Falcon and Vash'ya Trailblazer. Max discount available is 2, as noted, and only 1 on Trailblazer. For good targets, that pretty much cuts it down to Falcon and Hunter.

For the Hunter, 2R and 2C to set up this unit is not a good play, and it doesn't have quite enough combat presence for it to be for anything other than card advantage. For the Falcon, its a passable combo, as though Falcons don't often win battles, the 2 command icons helps a great deal.

Out of DE, we have the Falcon and the Vile Raider, and actually I think this is the way to go. Dropping 2 command icons and another fighting body is clearly the role of this card, and 2R 2C is not a bad deal to get a Vile Raider into play, considering the unexpected tempo shift and the resilience of this unit.

I'm not sure if Vectored Vyper Squad is an eligible target, as its card text won't be active while its in your hand... I think.

Thus for this card to become viable, we need at least two more Eldar or Dark Eldar units that cost 3-4, have Mobile, and have at least 1 command icon plus some fighting ability.

Alternatively, there may be a play for going for the deep-search deck and assembling this combo with a lower incidence in the deck.

I realise I'm arguing myself OUT of this card here, and indeed I think there's every possibility it may never be playable. However, I live in hope.

• Killax likes this

Killax

Killax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2108 posts

I realise I'm arguing myself OUT of this card here, and indeed I think there's every possibility it may never be playable. However, I live in hope.

I'm sharing the hope. But I also do have to say that I feel very positive about it (and less so about an mayor Chaos Event that looks at the Nurgle Trait for example, mainly because making Warpstorm 2.0 is something I can't see comming very fast).

I also have to say that currently we have not seen anything in the form of Swooping Hawks and I do think FFG will make sure new players reconize the Shadow that is depicted on Death From Above.

... I'm not really a betting man but I'm willing to bet the next Eldar Warlord will be more agressive and I think it might not be very wrong to see Mobile signature units from him. The only real mayor question then remains wheter or not these signature cards will be Cost 2 or 3, which I feel makes the biggest difference in terms of Death From Above becomming good to incredible (with CRC 3 cards being bonkers with it).

When we look at Aun'Shi for example we see that he can make incredible use of Kau'yon Strike but I do feel they made his signature units much weaker to compensate for that. So I think Eldar Warlord 2 will have CRC 2 Mobile signature units.

Kaic

Kaic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Morkai Rune Priest 15
Fenrisian Wolf 16 (+1)
Iron Guard Recruits 15
Dozer Blade 12
Attack Squig Herd 12
Dakka Dakka Dakka! 19
Klaivex Warleader 18 
Bladed Lotus Rifle 12
Soul Seizure 15
Black Guardians 15
Death from Above 9 (-3)
Dome of Crystal Seers 15
Bork'an Recruits 15
Kauyon Strike 15

Upvote for the Wolf, it's a good card and will help the SM counter ranged.  Downvote for Death from above, sure it might become good later, but I tend to vote based on the state of the cards right now.  In which case this card isn't worth it.

Killax

Killax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2108 posts

Morkai Rune Priest 15
Fenrisian Wolf 16 
Iron Guard Recruits 15
Dozer Blade 12
Inquisitorial Fortress 17 (+1)
Attack Squig Herd 12
Dakka Dakka Dakka! 19
Klaivex Warleader 18 
Bladed Lotus Rifle 9 (-3)
Soul Seizure 15
Black Guardians 15
Death from Above 9 
Dome of Crystal Seers 15
Bork'an Recruits 15
Kauyon Strike 15

All things considerd I think the best overall cards in this pack are Inquisitorial Fortress, Klaivex Warrior and Dakka Dakka Dakka! As such I'll try to upvote some of them now so they just won't suddenly dissapear.

For sure DFA is currently not good enough, even worse is the Bladed Lotus Rifle as that currently is totally useless.

Kaic

Kaic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Morkai Rune Priest 15
Fenrisian Wolf 16 
Iron Guard Recruits 15
Dozer Blade 12
Inquisitorial Fortress 17
Attack Squig Herd 12
Dakka Dakka Dakka! 19
Klaivex Warleader 19 (+1)
Bladed Lotus Rifle 6 (-3)
Soul Seizure 15
Black Guardians 15
Death from Above 9 
Dome of Crystal Seers 15
Bork'an Recruits 15
Kauyon Strike 15

I'm going to give another +1 to Klaivex again, after playing a game with this it is quickly becoming my favorite card.  I'm also starting to feel that the impact of Dakka Dakka Dakka! on the meta might have been a bit overrated.  -3 to Bladed Lotus Rifle, I don't agree that it is a totally useless card, but it is weak enough that it might as well be.

theamazingmrg

theamazingmrg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Morkai Rune Priest 15
Fenrisian Wolf 16 
Iron Guard Recruits 15
Dozer Blade 12
Attack Squig Herd 12
Dakka Dakka Dakka! 19
Klaivex Warleader 19
Bladed Lotus Rifle 6
Soul Seizure 12 (-3)
Black Guardians 15
Death from Above 9 
Dome of Crystal Seers 15
Bork'an Recruits 15
Kauyon Strike 16 (+1)

I'll downvote Soul Seizure.  I can see the uses but really you want this card to take control of a powerhouse.  The 5 resource cost makes it very expensive - you won't be using this to take a 2 cost card.  You also need a heavy investment in Torture events to make it worthwhile.  Will be a decent card in Rakarth decks but they're months away.  At this moment in time - not worth the investment.

My upvote goes to Kauyon Strike.  This card will be fantastic after the next pack and, even now, allows you to Ambush you Aun'ui Prelate, get the str boost, attack with him for 4, return him to HQ then send him into the fight again.  It's a nice card, soon-to-be a great card.

Kaic

Kaic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Morkai Rune Priest 15
Fenrisian Wolf 16 
Iron Guard Recruits 15
Dozer Blade 12
Attack Squig Herd 12
Dakka Dakka Dakka! 19
Kustom Field Generator 16 (+1)
Klaivex Warleader 19
Bladed Lotus Rifle 6

Soul Seizure 9 (-3)
Black Guardians 15
Death from Above 9 
Dome of Crystal Seers 15
Bork'an Recruits 15

Kauyon Strike 16

Upvote for Kustom Field Generator, now that I've had a decent number of games with this pack, I personally feel that this is the best card that the Orks received.  It helps spread out big hits and can activate brutal on all of your units.  It also helps your Warlord survive this big hits.  -3 for Soul Seizure, as much as I have dreams of using this to summon a Black Legion Heldrake, I feel that this card is going to fall flat in most decks, even with Urien.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: The Scourge, Warpack, Kugath