Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Warpack The Scourge elimination thread

The Scourge Warpack Kugath

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

Kaic

Kaic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

I do feel like we are underrating Soul Seizure, but we won't really know until Urien is out (or at the very least more torture events).  I agree with Asklepios, if any Warlord is going to really shake up how we build decks it's going to be Urien.  I can see a deck that is very heavy on events with a lot less units.  Whether it will work or not is going to depend on what comes out in these next few packs.  I really want Urien to work well and I am really excited about playing him, but I don't see much reason to start trying to build a deck right now.  I don't think there is any way we could build something worthwhile for Urien with the current card pool.  I don't know if I agree about not playing Razorwings though, I think they are going to really help with the control aspects of Urien.

Kingsley

Kingsley

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1008 posts

I believe Razorwing will probably be a 3x in every Dark Eldar deck forever.

• Killax likes this

Kaic

Kaic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

That's a pretty bold statement Kingsley.  I don't know about forever, but it will definitely be a strong card for quite awhile.

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts

I believe Razorwing will probably be a 3x in every Dark Eldar deck forever.

Yeah? Its a tight slot, is no-command units. Don't know about you, but I feel very uncomfortable running fewer than 28 command bearing units, and in a Rakarth deck its going to be hard not to carry as many Tortures as the deck will economically support.

It's a good 5/5 card, for sure, but as the meta grows more combat-powerful, a 0/1/1 unit is going to become less and less relevant.

Kaic

Kaic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

It's a good 5/5 card, for sure, but as the meta grows more combat-powerful, a 0/1/1 unit is going to become less and less relevant.

I actually tend to view Razorwings as an event.  The effect would be good even without the 0/1/1.  The extra unit is just gravy for me.  With that said, it might have less of a place in Urien for that very reason, since you want to run as many real events as possible.

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts

Exactly, its an Event in disguise.

Though its one he doesn't pay a surcharge for, so there's that.

All we really need is enough alternative cheap Events of quality, and Razorwings will slide out of the deck.

• Kaic likes this

Kingsley

Kingsley

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1008 posts

Yeah? Its a tight slot, is no-command units. Don't know about you, but I feel very uncomfortable running fewer than 28 command bearing units, and in a Rakarth deck its going to be hard not to carry as many Tortures as the deck will economically support.

Who's to say the meta will grow more combat-powerful (or that this will nerf Razorwings)? If anything, the Razorwings have grown better since the core set now that there are more cards to support choke, and in my experience choke effects are most effective against opponents who have focused on combat rather than command.

The unit doesn't really do much of anything most of the time-- it's an "I win this battle by default" button or a little piece of backup in a larger encounter-- but overall I think Razorwings is one of the standout cards of the Core Set and I seriously doubt that cutting it will ever prove correct. If worse came to worse, I would cut Suffering before I cut Murder of Razorwings-- and I would probably even cut Archon's Terror before Razorwings in a Rakarth deck!

• Asklepios likes this

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts

Sure - I'm not building the deck, but I've already mentally cut any non-Torture event just because of the surcharge. Likewise Suffering. I think others are looking at running fewer Torture events, but I think for this deck to work it has to be mostly command/combat Units and Torture Events, and almost nothing else. I'm not intending to include Suffering either, I think.

Let's wait and see what Tortures we get between now and Rakarth though, so we can inform our assessments further.

Kingsley

Kingsley

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1008 posts

Sure - I'm not building the deck, but I've already mentally cut any non-Torture event just because of the surcharge. Likewise Suffering. I think others are looking at running fewer Torture events, but I think for this deck to work it has to be mostly command/combat Units and Torture Events, and almost nothing else. I'm not intending to include Suffering either, I think.

Let's wait and see what Tortures we get between now and Rakarth though, so we can inform our assessments further.

I think Suffering will make it into a Rakarth deck, barring strong two-shield attachments or Tortures coming out-- keep in mind that Suffering actually is a Torture, and while Rakarth's ability doesn't work on it since it's not an event, it still counts as a Torture card for Soul Seizure.

• Kaic, VonWibble and Killax like this

Killax

Killax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2108 posts

I think Suffering will make it into a Rakarth deck, barring strong two-shield attachments or Tortures coming out-- keep in mind that Suffering actually is a Torture, and while Rakarth's ability doesn't work on it since it's not an event, it still counts as a Torture card for Soul Seizure.

Perhaps even more important it works on his Twisted Wracks. Untapping 3/3's are really powerfull.
  • Kaic likes this

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts

Hoo, I missed that Suffering is a Torture, though that makes sense!

Good one.

• Killax likes this

Killax

Killax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2108 posts

No worries.

Ontopic, and my last post for this thread:

I hope all the following Warpacks will give as us much as the Scourge did. All in all I feel every faction got at least a single great card in this pack (and plenty more with potential) but also give out the much needed boost.

Apart from that I think the diverse faction top 3 in this elimination validates that.

Thanks FFG!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: The Scourge, Warpack, Kugath