Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Ku'gath Plaguefather Deck Thread

Kugath Chaos Nurgle

• Please log in to reply
584 replies to this topic

Kaic

Kaic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Ok, I think my goal this week is going to be testing Dire Mutation versus Smash n' Bash.  I feel that the best card for me to remove for Dire Mutation is SnB, so I'm going to run SnB one more time this week (Wednesday) and try switching them for Dire Mutation on Thursday.

• Killax likes this

Killax

Killax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2108 posts

Looking forward to reading all about it, currently am building up a blog for myself. Will try to post it here aswell, don't know if it's possible. But will include some shots.

• Kaic and MotoBuzzsawMF like this

Kaic

Kaic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Well, I gave Smash n' Bash one last try last night.  Unless I'm really disappointed with Dire Mutation tomorrow (unlikely) I'm going to SnB for Dire Mutation.  Now that my opponents are getting used to handling Ku'gath, I found myself with fewer opportunities to play this card.  I still feel that this is the best deck that I have ever put Smash n' Bash in, but it still feel lackluster compared to other options.  I'll give my impressions on Dire Mutation tomorrow.

• Killax likes this

Killax

Killax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2108 posts

The problem I remain to have with Smash n Bash is that it needs you to have multiple fat bodies to work with and even than is limited by the fact that the planet should not contain a opposing Warlord...

Today was my first Ku'gath day! And damned I was happy with Dire Mutation all the time, even against the dreaded Cato match up it made sure no Honoured Librarian was save and even Eager Cadets where quite useless. Granted I did lose some Nurglings due to Chosen I also (luckily) found the Plaguefather's Banner who just made things to insane for my opponent.

Currently am very happy with the deck, it does infact include only 1 Xaveas as oppossed to 2 in my Zarathur deck (who has the better Cato match up still, imho). Here's the list I was working with.

All-stars of the game: Ork Kannon (worth mulligan for), Plaguefather's Banner, Ku'gath and Khorne Berserker. The Flesh Hounds are arguably worse in this deck, again it's a place holder for the Gleeful Plague Beast. Nontheless the fact that it can eat Cultists from time to time still make it a bane to anything that has no direct destruction available (currently only Cato and DE have this, damn you Klaivex Warrior!)

Besides that I also have to admit that the Heretek Inventor is growing on me, I initially didn't like the card but in Ku'gath the body is much more relevant. I hope to be able to add more 2 drops in stead of Promotion because I do have to admit I'm feeling the lack of Snotling Attack (which remains fantastic with Zarathur) but can't really be added because a Routed Nurgling will make sure quite some Snotlings are about to die when they hit the same zone.

• Whingewood likes this

Kaic

Kaic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

I noticed you are running Burna Boyz, how has that worked out for you?  Have you found them to be effective in this deck?  I really like Burna boyz and their 1 damage to another unit is similar to the effect of Ku'gath so I've considered running them myself.

• Killax likes this

Killax

Killax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2108 posts

I noticed you are running Burna Boyz, how has that worked out for you?  Have you found them to be effective in this deck?  I really like Burna boyz and their 1 damage to another unit is similar to the effect of Ku'gath so I've considered running them myself.

Just like in Zarathur they preform good. Note that they are only included twice so in most games they will not play a gigantic role.

As you mentioned however, I like their effect because it reminds me of Ku'gath's effect and honestly I feel Chaos' current biggest strenght is spamming the damage. Be it in huge packages with Zarathur or small pings with Ku'gath the end result is the same: an incredible Combat presence. Apart from that it's body is decent enough just like it's cost. It fits the "gap" very well and remains very playable aswell.

Again the only thing I feel lacking now is beefier bodies. Something 2 Command 2 cost (or even 1) would be very welcome.

A 0/3 Cultist with 2 Command and Cost 2 even more, to be honest...

The biggest downside of the current deck is that it's hands are still not extremely consistant. Zarathur needed it more due to his ability focussing on heavier commited planets. Ku'gath can get things done much more by himself, which helps. On the other side, Nurglings are very difficult to use and not that hard to use against you when Routed etc.

Minute

Minute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Taking the thread in a different direction.  I played my first game against Ku'Gath today.  What are people finding deck wise that can stand up to a turn 1 Banner on Ku'Gath?  My Eldar control/ranged deck got wrecked.  Any time he wanted to win a planet, basically all he had to do was send Ku'Gath there and there wasn't a whole lot I could do.

TheFuzzyBunny

TheFuzzyBunny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

I run Ku'Gath last night in preperation for a tourny on Saturday. Trying to decide between him and my first love Nazdreg. Anyhow. I got a first turn banner on the Big Lovin and he did indeed wreck things. The ability to give back 2 damage is huge, especially once I took the remove all damage planet when I was near my max. For me the thing I worried about most was a heavily focused attack. I did have to retreat once because I just wasn't able to shrug it off faster than he was dishing.

So, in essense, you want to bury Big Lovin in as much damage as quick as possible if you get in a fight with him. If you can't dish over 6 in a turn, you might want to tap out.

This is how I run my Ku'Gath. Honestly I don't think it'll be "there" until we get some more good Nurgle cards, but it's pretty good right now.

Deck Created with  CardGameDB.com  Warhammer 40,000: Conquest Deckbuilder

Total Cards: (50)

Warlord:
1x Ku’gath Plaguefather (The Scourge)

Army Unit: (27)
4x Kugath’s Nurglings (The Scourge)
3x Chaos Fanatics (Core Set)
3x Death Guard Infantry (The Howl of Blackmane)
3x Heretek Inventor (The Howl of Blackmane)
2x Incubus Warrior (Core Set)
3x Soul Grinder (Core Set)
3x Splintered Path Acolyte (Core Set)
3x Vicious Bloodletter (Core Set)
3x Virulent Plague Squad (Core Set)

Attachment: (6)
1x The Plaguefather’s Banner (The Scourge)
2x Promotion (Core Set)
3x Rune-Encrusted Armor (Core Set)

Event: (16)
2x Fetid Haze (The Scourge)
2x Archon’s Terror (Core Set)
3x Power from Pain (Core Set)
3x Promise of Glory (Core Set)
3x Tzeentch’s Firestorm (Core Set)
3x Warpstorm (Core Set)

Support: (1)
1x Vile Laboratory (The Scourge)

Minute

Minute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Yeah, Eldar has a hard time bringing that much firepower to bear on him.  It definitely seems like Ku'Gath can very easily (with the banner at least), play a "bloody me or lose" game.

Here's my take on an anti-Ku'Gath deck.  Filled with lots of "surprise" and hit before he can stuff.  I love the use of Even The Odds to potentially move the banner to an easier to kill unit.

Total Cards: (50)

Warlord: 
1x Commander Shadowsun (Core Set) 

Army Unit: (34)
4x Shadowsun’s Stealth Cadre (Core Set)
3x Bork’an Recruits (The Scourge)
3x Crisis Battle Guard (Core Set)
3x Eager Recruit (Core Set)
3x Earth Caste Technician (Core Set)
3x Gun Drones (Core Set)
3x Recon Drone (Core Set)
3x Stingwing Swarm (Core Set)
3x Vash’ya Trailblazer (Core Set)
3x Vior’la Marksman (Core Set)
3x Aun'ui Prelate (Howl of Blackmane)

Attachment: (4)
1x Command-link Drone (Core Set)
3x Ion Rifle (Core Set)

Event: (8)
2x Squadron Redeployment (Core Set)
3x Deception (Core Set)
3x Even the Odds (Core Set)

Support: (4)
1x Communications Relay (Core Set)
3x Ambush Platform (Core Set)

Killax

Killax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2108 posts

What are people finding deck wise that can stand up to a turn 1 Banner on Ku'Gath?  My Eldar control/ranged deck got wrecked.  Any time he wanted to win a planet, basically all he had to do was send Ku'Gath there and there wasn't a whole lot I could do.

Pretty much nothing, honestly. Tau currently are the only ones able to really deal with it. However, Cato, Nazdreg and mirrors are still difficult to handle I found.

Eldar/Dark Eldar still can get really on your nerves when using Archon's Terror on your Nurglings, be aware that those games can also end really quick. 

I run Ku'Gath last night in preperation for a tourny on Saturday. Trying to decide between him and my first love Nazdreg. Anyhow. I got a first turn banner on the Big Lovin and he did indeed wreck things. The ability to give back 2 damage is huge, especially once I took the remove all damage planet when I was near my max. For me the thing I worried about most was a heavily focused attack. I did have to retreat once because I just wasn't able to shrug it off faster than he was dishing.

So, in essense, you want to bury Big Lovin in as much damage as quick as possible if you get in a fight with him. If you can't dish over 6 in a turn, you might want to tap out.

This is how I run my Ku'Gath. Honestly I don't think it'll be "there" until we get some more good Nurgle cards, but it's pretty good right now.

Cool and fluffy deck altough I have no idea why you would run DGI over Khorne Berserkers (or Vertulent Plague Squad for that matter) in this deck and also feel that Ork Kannon will in fact allow you to swing much better with Ku'gath. Incubus Warrior + Soul Grinder is a cool plan but Incubus Warrior imho does not synergize at all with the Nurlings...

The real anti-Ku'gath deck should (imho) win on the fact of routing Nurglings, the added damage and the double-edged effect they have (on themselves) mean that a well played battle is key. In special with Dark Eldar's Archon's Terror, Carnath or Ferrin you should be able to use it against him.

Apart from that, much like Ragnar, try to avoid Ku'gath during the initial stages of the game. Only strike on him with a team that you know will be able to thake him down. Chaos currently does not have many units to win Command struggles with so a heavy command presence + build up will pay out eventually. Trying to battle Ku'gath during the initial stage of the game will often get you dead. Remember Fetid Haze removes all damage on him so only go in to kill. A couple of points vs Ku'gath isn't worth it and can only be used against you.

The best thing about Zarathur and Ku'gath is that they play very differently in terms of single cards but do add up to the same result, which is cool and still very Chaotic. :D

TheFuzzyBunny

TheFuzzyBunny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Pretty much nothing, honestly. Tau currently are the only ones able to really deal with it. However, Cato, Nazdreg and mirrors are still difficult to handle I found.

Eldar/Dark Eldar still can get really on your nerves when using Archon's Terror on your Nurglings, be aware that those games can also end really quick. 

Cool and fluffy deck altough I have no idea why you would run DGI over Khorne Berserkers (or Vertulent Plague Squad for that matter) in this deck and also feel that Ork Kannon will in fact allow you to swing much better with Ku'gath. Incubus Warrior + Soul Grinder is a cool plan but Incubus Warrior imho does not synergize at all with the Nurlings...

The real anti-Ku'gath deck should (imho) win on the fact of routing Nurglings, the added damage and the double-edged effect they have (on themselves) mean that a well played battle is key. In special with Dark Eldar's Archon's Terror, Carnath or Ferrin you should be able to use it against him.

Apart from that, much like Ragnar, try to avoid Ku'gath during the initial stages of the game. Only strike on him with a team that you know will be able to thake him down. Chaos currently does not have many units to win Command struggles with so a heavy command presence + build up will pay out eventually. Trying to battle Ku'gath during the initial stage of the game will often get you dead. Remember Fetid Haze removes all damage on him so only go in to kill. A couple of points vs Ku'gath isn't worth it and can only be used against you.

The best thing about Zarathur and Ku'gath is that they play very differently in terms of single cards but do add up to the same result, which is cool and still very Chaotic. :D

I run the DGI of the Khorne Berserkers because they are Nurgle. It gives me another place to Fetid Haze. I also expect there will be more Nurgle based events coming out as well so I want to be used to using them. Right now the Berserker is better. The plan with the Nurglings is to put them away from the First planet to try to inflict as much Warlord movement damage as possible, while keeping my guys away from them. Once they get to the first planet I just have to be aware so that when I do deploy them with my warlord I do it when I have initiative so they kill themselves before infliciting to much harm on me.

I agree though for most part, this really isn't a fine tuned deck. It's a themed deck that runs fairly well, but is missing some Nurgle cards to finish it off.

Kaic

Kaic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Ok, Dire Mutation is in over Smash n' Bash.  I really don't have a lot of further changes I really want to make to the deck.  I am considering trying to throw in Rune-Encrusted Armor though,  It does seem to synergize well with the Attrition Nurgle theme, but I just don't really know if anything I have is worth cutting for it.  I'm also considering adding in Burna Boyz, their ability feels very similar to the Nurgle ability so they could work well.  The biggest reason they may not be included is because of their low hp.  I'm currently going for a high hp resiliency deck that can stay around for awhile.  Burna Boyz don't quite fit that requirement.  However, I think that might be my next experiment.

Here is my current list.

Warlord:

Army Unit (29)

Attachment (6)

Event (10)

Support (5)

• Killax likes this

VonWibble

VonWibble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2996 posts

Taking the thread in a different direction.  I played my first game against Ku'Gath today.  What are people finding deck wise that can stand up to a turn 1 Banner on Ku'Gath?  My Eldar control/ranged deck got wrecked.  Any time he wanted to win a planet, basically all he had to do was send Ku'Gath there and there wasn't a whole lot I could do.

Even the Odds. A card that should go into any deck that can use it imo, answers so many problems.

Of course, if you allied with Dark Eldar that is not much help!

Wigg

Wigg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

I don't see this mentioned anywhere in the thread, but given that Ku'gath decks do like Smash N Bash I thought I would mention it here.  If you play Smash N Bash, you cannot shield the damage that you have to pay as the cost of playing the card.

There's a thread on the Rules forums, but what it basically boils down to is that the damage you take to use Smash N Bash is part of the cost of the card.  The Shields section of the RRG states that shields can only be used to block damage "When a unit is attacked or dealt damage by an effect".  The cost of a card is neither of those.

The forum thread can be found here:  http://www.cardgamed...ost-shieldable/

Killax

Killax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2108 posts
Yup Smash N Bash is bad, mkay.

gmbuell

gmbuell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I've been doing some playtesting with Ku'gath and wanted to give my thoughts here. As a summary, I feel that DE are better allies for Ku'gath than Orks but I don't think he is quite tournament worthy yet.

Why not Orks?
I'd argue that the standout cards Orks bring to the table are Ork Kannon, Goff Boyz, and some toolbox support hate. Burna Boyz are fine but a bit expensive. I haven't had much success with Smash 'n Bash since every time I would want to use it there is an enemy warlord. I also wasn't able to make Ork Kannon work as well as I would have liked. It's rare to have a Kannon out and be able to take advantage of it to get a single damage on Ku'gath so he can move it when he attacks (the ideal situation). Most of the time I found I either didn't have a Kannon or already had damage on Ku'gath.

What does DE bring?
DE has Archon's Terror which works well with an event heavy chaos build (along with Firestorm + Fetid Haze). Plus running 8 incredible events gives good justification for Coliseum Fighters. I know many people aren't fans of the fighters but I think these events are particularly good and Chaos suffers from only having one 2-shield card. DE also brings some solid ranged units (Marksman and Mandrake). I also happen to be a fan of Kabalite Strike Force in this deck because that cheap AOE 1 along with the Nurglings or Ku'gath's ability are often enough to wipe a planet.

Anyway, here's the latest iteration of the deck, Purple Haze:

Warlord: 
1x Ku’gath Plaguefather (The Scourge) 

Army Unit: (34)
4x Kugath’s Nurglings (The Scourge)
3x Chaos Fanatics (Core Set)
3x Khorne Berzerker (Core Set)
1x Xavaes Split-Tongue (Core Set)
2x Vicious Bloodletter (Core Set)
3x Rogue Trader (Core Set)
3x Void Pirate (Core Set)
3x Coliseum Fighters (Core Set)
3x Incubus Warrior (Core Set)
3x Sybarite Marksman (Core Set)
3x Baleful Mandrake (Core Set)
3x Kabalite Strike Force (Core Set)

Attachment: (7)
1x The Plaguefather’s Banner (The Scourge)
3x Promotion (Core Set)
3x Rune-Encrusted Armor (Core Set)

Rune Armor is probably controversial but I've gotten good use out of the +2/+2 on either ranged units or just the units here that are more squishy than would be ideal. 

Event: (8)
2x Fetid Haze (The Scourge)
3x Tzeentch’s Firestorm (Core Set)
3x Archon’s Terror (Core Set)

Support: (1)
1x Vile Laboratory (The Scourge)

What didn't make the cut:
Heretek Inventor - I think a lot of people are attracted to this because it's a new Chaos card but this deck can't really afford uncontrolled deploys and the movement with the nurglings is a liability.
Virulent Plague Squad - Yeah, it's a Nurgle but the only thing that does you any good for is Fetid Haze and you always want to be using that on Ku'gath anyway. In play, I've found that I'm always playing something else from my hand instead of this since there are rarely enough dead units to make the 4 cost worthwhile.
Other Chaos Elites - Too expensive with the high event cost of this deck.
Dire Mutation - This card is good for picking off weak units that you'd have trouble with otherwise i.e. Honored Librarian, Vior'la Marksman, etc. However, this deck has enough other solutions to those problems (Ku'gath, Kabalite Strike Force, Firestorm)

I've had a few interesting takeaways from playing.
1. Ku'gath is a beast. He has no fear going up solo against another warlord and does well in a lot of Ku'gath vs warlord + single unit matchups. Since he effectively does 2 damage and heals 1 every turn he can put out a lot of heat and end up relatively unscathed.
2. Fetid Haze is very powerful, especially against swarm. However, I've had trouble playing it in a way that isn't obvious. This hasn't really been much of a problem but it's still not great for your opponent to know it's coming.
3. Playing the Nurglings effectively is very difficult. I either save them in hand until I can use one or more of them at the same time as mines to punish the enemy warlord bringing other units with him from HQ or as traps for mobile units.

Killax

Killax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2108 posts

Interesting list and I have to say that it seems like a well thought out idea, which in most cases will mean it can work out just fine.

First of all I do have to say that Im rather suprised by the inclusion of that many 1 drops. While it might be the right thing to do my problem with them is that a whole sum of them have 0/1 bodies. Routing a single Nurling will spell trouble in capital letters...

As for the Coloseum Fighters, I have no problem with including them, in special in a deck like this where you need the Events in order to continue the game to the lategame.

I do feel on the other side that this deck almost auto folds versus Cato (and Ragnar to some degree) and gets a giant whipe by a well played DDD! Nontheless Im looking forward to your results. The deck has the initial turn and in some cases that can be enough to continue the game towards victory.

gmbuell

gmbuell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

My earlier iterations didn't have as many 1 drops but I've moved to the current state of things through trying to compete better in command and have a lower cost curve to make room for the events. Anything less gets destroyed by Eldar and anyone else with heavy command presence.

Killax

Killax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2108 posts

My earlier iterations didn't have as many 1 drops but I've moved to the current state of things through trying to compete better in command and have a lower cost curve to make room for the events. Anything less gets destroyed by Eldar and anyone else with heavy command presence.

I understand your plan, but how do you plan to survive the Dakka Dakka Dakka, Warpstorm or other forms of pinging? Again I feel your initial presence is very powerfull, so turn 1 will most likely be yours. On the other side, if opponents have ways to ping them, you'll have a very rough time.

Im also intersted to hear why you favour the Rogue Trader over the Splinterd Path Acolyte and Kabalite Strike Force over Warpstorm.

gmbuell

gmbuell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

I understand your plan, but how do you plan to survive the Dakka Dakka Dakka, Warpstorm or other forms of pinging? Again I feel your initial presence is very powerfull, so turn 1 will most likely be yours. On the other side, if opponents have ways to ping them, you'll have a very rough time.

Im also intersted to hear why you favour the Rogue Trader over the Splinterd Path Acolyte and Kabalite Strike Force over Warpstorm.

Well lets take a look at which squishy units I have. The 1 health units are:
3x Rogue Trader (Core Set)
3x Void Pirate (Core Set)
3x Incubus Warrior (Core Set)
3x Sybarite Marksman (Core Set)

Definitely more squishy units than many decks but I would say it's par for the course for DE (given it's all DE and neutral units) or Tau (compare to Recon Drone, Trailblazer, ECT). How do I defend against pinging? Rune-Encrusted Armor is one of the answers. Firestorm and Archon's Terror help against Cato style AOE units. I don't have a Dakka answer since I haven't had a chance to play against it yet. I also don't see a clear alternative to these units.

As for the Trader and the Acolyte, since they are both 1 cost 1 health 1 command units, they are pretty interchangeable. Given that this deck only has 2x Bloodletters and 4x Nurglings as the only Demons, I don't see a particularly compelling case for the Acolytes vs the more versatile +1 income from the Trader. It could be worthwhile to give the Acolyte a try though. As for the Kabalite Strike Force over Warpstorm, it is mostly because I found Warpstorm didn't perform for me. It was often as much of a liability for my units as it was for the enemy. Plus the deck was already rather event heavy.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Kugath, Chaos, Nurgle