Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

So how's S&V now?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

chiller087

chiller087

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts
What have you found to be pretty good for the Green Team? Are capturing effects worth it now? As in, a deck built around the idea?

Aggressive S&V decks seem viable now. Has anyone had any success with that type?

In other words, what are y'all doing with Scum post-Shadows?

pantsyg

pantsyg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

My first trial deck was:

2 Xizor

2 Hunters

2 Virago

2 Slave Trade

Jabba's Orders

Slimiest Scheme

The idea is to buff up objectives with Hunters and Jabba's Palace, heal with Palace Security, use Galactic Scum and Weequays to defend while Headhunters, Virago and Snoova went in to do damage.  It is a little light on resources, and while I didn't get punished in my first test game, I'm sure it could happen easily.

I was playing against a vehicle deck, so I didn't get much sense of whether Scum really got any better at holding the Force since my opponent didn't even try to take it from me after I committed Boushh on the first turn.  

The defensive abilities of the deck are very sound, and as usual for Scum it does well in edge battles--I don't think I lost one.  Snoova is a pretty useful removal card.  

Show of Force is amazing.  If the LS doesn't have event cancel, you can freely play Xizor, Boushh etc to edge, let Headhunters die in your refresh, then bring them all back with SoF for the killing blow--usually against an LS board that is at least somewhat exhausted from attacking on their turn.  

Xizor's Fate card is excellent, basically an "I win this edge battle" card in lots of situations.  Better than Twist IMO, since you don't have to have more cards in hand to follow it up, and it's harder (but not impossible) for your opponent to play around.

Overall, I'm happy with the additions to Scum.  Still need to tweak the deck above a little, but it plays nicely and I feel more confident playing it than I did pre-BtS Scum.

Budgernaut

Budgernaut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Scum & Villainy

2x The Bespin Exchange

2x Lucrative Contract

2x Hunt Them Down

2x Trandoshan Terror

2x The Hunters

I've done 4 games with this deck so far and it's 3:1. The first two games felt like everything just fell into place (like starting with two The Hunters in play on game 1). The third game was a bit more of a fight. The last game just didn't go well. I drew the cards I wanted in all the wrong order and my ability to capture was severely hampered, meaning I couldn't trigger Boushh like I wanted. Perhaps this deck is too combo-oriented to be top tier.

Things I like:

-resource acceleration (4 2-resource objectives, 2x Pay Out, 2x Bounty Collection, 2x Outer Rime Space Pirates)

The resources a bit combo-centric, but I pulled off some cool turns like having 2 objectives still exhausted, using Pay Out to ready them, deploying Bossk, capturing a unit, clearing the objectives with Bounty Collection, and playing an Assault Fighter. Good times.

-easy ways to deal with C-3PO, Nudj, Ewoks, other support (Khiraxz-Class Assault Fighter, Snoova)

-a fun new way to bump the dial (Boushh)

My previous decks were slow and usually closer to decking the opponent than they were to getting the dial to 12. I really like that one of Scum's key concepts now directly affects their win condition.

-enough blast damage to close a game (Boushh, Snoova, Khiraxz-Class Assault Fighters)

On that last point, I really like the Fighters in this deck because you just want to strike with them throughout the game, softening objectives and capturing units.

• GroggyGolem and pantsyg like this

Venryk

Venryk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

I've been running

2x Lucrative

2x No Disintegrations

2x Masterful

2x Best Credits

2x Slave Trade

I have been very successful so far but Boba's pod seems hit or miss to me. Sometimes he just dominates and sometimes he is meh. I am thinking of trying the Hunters in place of No Disintegrations.

MasterJediAdam

MasterJediAdam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1623 posts

I am just playing the decks suggested on the box, and they seem to work pretty well.

• Budgernaut likes this

pantsyg

pantsyg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Scum & Villainy

2x The Bespin Exchange

2x Lucrative Contract

2x Hunt Them Down

2x Trandoshan Terror

2x The Hunters

It's funny to me that old Boba is the one who has synergy with Boushh, while new sexy Boba has no capture at all.  

• Jarratt likes this

AllTheSithDudes

AllTheSithDudes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Scum & Villainy

2x The Bespin Exchange

2x Lucrative Contract

2x Hunt Them Down

2x Trandoshan Terror

2x The Hunters

I've done 4 games with this deck so far and it's 3:1. The first two games felt like everything just fell into place (like starting with two The Hunters in play on game 1). The third game was a bit more of a fight. The last game just didn't go well. I drew the cards I wanted in all the wrong order and my ability to capture was severely hampered, meaning I couldn't trigger Boushh like I wanted. Perhaps this deck is too combo-oriented to be top tier.

Things I like:

-resource acceleration (4 2-resource objectives, 2x Pay Out, 2x Bounty Collection, 2x Outer Rime Space Pirates)

The resources a bit combo-centric, but I pulled off some cool turns like having 2 objectives still exhausted, using Pay Out to ready them, deploying Bossk, capturing a unit, clearing the objectives with Bounty Collection, and playing an Assault Fighter. Good times.

-easy ways to deal with C-3PO, Nudj, Ewoks, other support (Khiraxz-Class Assault Fighter, Snoova)

-a fun new way to bump the dial (Boushh)

My previous decks were slow and usually closer to decking the opponent than they were to getting the dial to 12. I really like that one of Scum's key concepts now directly affects their win condition.

-enough blast damage to close a game (Boushh, Snoova, Khiraxz-Class Assault Fighters)

On that last point, I really like the Fighters in this deck because you just want to strike with them throughout the game, softening objectives and capturing units.

I just made a deck last night that is similar to this, also runs Hunt Them Down but I had 2x Masterful Manipulation.  Xizor's ability also helps to put cards on Dengar and I was having Dengar pummel objectives when loaded up by the fighters/Xizor/Snoova.

chiller087

chiller087

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts
I don't think Xisor and Dengar work together, because Dengar can only attach cards captured from play. Cards in a player's hand are not considered to be in play.

*edit: clarity*

BobaFett

BobaFett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

which is the problem with many scum cards including dengar.  they all call for specific forms of capture to be used (from play, units, exhausted units, character units, etc etc)

• theamazingmrg, yankeefan1355, GroggyGolem and 1 other like this

AllTheSithDudes

AllTheSithDudes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Yeah I didn't read close enough I guess.  The deck I was running used Findsman x2 so I guess I can just keep putting those cards on that objective for holding the force.

Mike1977

Mike1977

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 843 posts

I'm not having the greatest success with SV... :(

BobaFett

BobaFett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3037 posts
It's entirely possible that they still aren't there yet (at least for mono builds). I mean let's face it, EoD was pretty bad for scum, so bad in fact that FFG decided they needed a second deluxe to try and repair them.

I can say with a good degree of certainty that there is a fair amount of scum sets I will never play with because they make no sense internally, don't pair well with anything, or were just designed very poorly.

I think we'll get a pretty good deck out of what we have now though, it probably just isn't going to jump out and smack you in the face at first glance like jedi or sith deck building does.
  • sellout23 and pantsyg like this

pantsyg

pantsyg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

It's entirely possible that they still aren't there. I mean let's face it, EoD was pretty bad for scum, so bad in fact that FFG decided they needed a second deluxe to try and repair them.

I can say with a good degree of certainty that there is a fair amount of scum sets I will never play with because they make no sense internally, don't pair well with anything, or were just designed very poorly.

I think we'll get a pretty good deck out of what we have now though, it probably just isn't going to jump out and smack you in the face at first glance like jedi or sigh deck building does.

Scum deckbuilding is my favorite puzzle in the game right now. It doesn't have super-clear archetypes like the other factions do, at least at the moment, so trying to figure out good synergistic decks is a fun challenge.

While initially I thought that a Black Sun deck would just build itself, I've found that just throwing the Black Sun sets together isn't the strongest possible combination. 

• Holubaloo and Jarratt like this

Mike1977

Mike1977

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 843 posts

It's entirely possible that they still aren't there yet (at least for mono builds). I mean let's face it, EoD was pretty bad for scum, so bad in fact that FFG decided they needed a second deluxe to try and repair them.

I think we'll get a pretty good deck out of what we have now though, it probably just isn't going to jump out and smack you in the face at first glance like jedi or sith deck building does.

Taking this to a more extreme then probably what your saying...

But SV feels like it has no synergy at all... WITH ITSELF...

lol

TheEmpireBringsSexyBack

TheEmpireBringsSexyBack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
LOL

Mike1977

Mike1977

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 843 posts

I mean they give us Zekka Thyne, and instead of putting a Prized Possession in the objective set as a resource, they put Debt Collector.

I mean seriously what are they trying to tell me?

At least the Debt Collector's name is fitting...

• yankeefan1355 likes this

Scottie

Scottie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1968 posts
That you can't throw limited resource enhancements into too many sets otherwise you limit your ability to run those sets together. Thus some sets either have no resources or character resources.
  • fliptheforce likes this

Mike1977

Mike1977

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 843 posts

That you can't throw limited resource enhancements into too many sets otherwise you limit your ability to run those sets together. Thus some sets either have no resources or character resources.

I agree 100%.

But how about we put them where they make sense?

SV has the worst resource placement of any faction.

• GroggyGolem likes this

pantsyg

pantsyg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

I agree 100%.

But how about we put them where they make sense?

SV has the worst resource placement of any faction.

Second this.  Other factions get 1-1 resources paired with useful mains (Core Luke, Han, Yoda, new Obi, Mara, Emperor); Scum have to take certain sets just to get resources IMO, or count on inefficient resources like Debt Collector.  This is my #1 frustration with Scum.  I'm happy Boba comes with a Prized Possession at least.

Scottie

Scottie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1968 posts
The only set with Prized Possession in it unlikely to see play is the Carbonite Transport. Scum also has the Force Resource in the most playable set compared to the others (barely edges out Sith).