Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

So how's S&V now?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

BobaFett

BobaFett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Second this.  Other factions get 1-1 resources paired with useful mains (Core Luke, Han, Yoda, new Obi, Mara, Emperor); Scum have to take certain sets just to get resources IMO, or count on inefficient resources like Debt Collector.  This is my #1 frustration with Scum.  I'm happy Boba comes with a Prized Possession at least.

I third this! I can't tell you how many times I've laid out all my sets put together what seemed like a good deck with good overall synergy, then started counting resources and... Oh ****, 2 resources..... Tear it apart and start again.

Now I generally lay them out in 3 groups. Ones with a resource, ones with capture, and ones with both, then I just get frustrated and give up and pull my Sith cards out....
  • Crouton, yodaman and chunkygorillas like this

Elrathion

Elrathion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

On a different note, new Jedi decks suffer slightly from this too.

Mike1977

Mike1977

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 843 posts

On a different note, new Jedi decks suffer slightly from this too.

I third this! I can't tell you how many times I've laid out all my sets put together what seemed like a good deck with good overall synergy, then started counting resources and... Oh ****, 2 resources..... Tear it apart and start again.

Now I generally lay them out in 3 groups. Ones with a resource, ones with capture, and ones with both, then I just get frustrated and give up and pull my Sith cards out....

This is no lie... When you make an SV deck, you need to decide whether you want to make a capture deck, or have a deck with resources... ><

Jarratt

Jarratt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3660 posts

Taking this to a more extreme then probably what your saying...

But SV feels like it has no synergy at all... WITH ITSELF...

lol

I feel like it is getting better. One of my initial problems with it was that the sets didn't have internal consistency. Why doesn't Jabba not have Bounty? Why is Reversal of Fate not with Boba Fett? Why do the sets that key of capture either through objectives or units not actually have any capture (Jabba, Slave 1). Stuff like that.

But I feel like Slimy Scheme works within itself and helps boost other parts of Scum. The Hunters as well, though again the more unit capture from units or black sun you have then the better The Hunters is. Xixor seems like a pretty solid pod in general. His objective can give you an early resource ramp for a turn.

There is definitely a puzzle to building Scum. Some of the objectives are so useful that you want to draw them, but the pods are lacking. Some things are needed to combo together. It's definitely not easy.

I agree 100%.

But how about we put them where they make sense?

SV has the worst resource placement of any faction.

This is a solid reason why Scum deck building is hard.

I do like the Slimy Scheme placement (because I really like that objective). Jabba also has one though I wish he had the Weequay one and they had more capture. Also I'm not entirely sure Jabba is strong enough to make it to a deck. I like the double black tactics but the Sail Barge is too expensive for its ability (it should just straight up remove for 3).

They have some interesting unit resource options like Bib and the Outer Rim guys but they are all pretty expensive. That said if you are playing a Tatooine Deck with Slimy Scheme the Sarlaac Pit is some awesome resource ramping because you can heal your objectives with the Gamoreans.

The only set with Prized Possession in it unlikely to see play is the Carbonite Transport. Scum also has the Force Resource in the most playable set compared to the others (barely edges out Sith).

While I agree that Slave Trade is an awesome objective and the Force Resource is highly playable because of that I don't see it as a strong contender in a Scum deck, or maybe that it is just so much better in a Sith deck. Slave Trade really needs to win both the force struggle (at least on their turn) and edge (to enable the white tactics) which Sith are much better at doing than Scum. Maybe some of the new sets can help with that, Xixor certainly does by being Elite and having that edge card, but I still think Slave Trade is tool for Sith more than it is for Scum. That might just be that to get all the synergies of Scum working together there just isn't room for arguably their best objective.

Budgernaut

Budgernaut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
I know everyone's time is limited, but if you can, I'd love for anyone to try out the deck I posted. I usually feel like I have plenty of resources to do what I want to accomplish. I think you'll be surprised by Bounty Collection in this deck, and Pay Out has always been good.

yankeefan1355

yankeefan1355

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1225 posts

I'm curious as to why the designers of the S&V affiliation made it such a pain to build around while other factions just align better and it's more of picking certain deck types that work well with strategies, intergrate together better and have the objective sets that work with play styles and run better (faster) than what S&V have to offer.  This has been a main reason why I, personally, don't use many of the sets in S&V.  They not only are slower but are really difficult to put together effectively and if you can build a half way decent one, how much better are they compared to other proven decks types?   They're like the red headed step children of the galaxy.

• Budgernaut likes this

yodaman

yodaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2741 posts

@ Budgernaut - I'll give your scum deck a try when I get the chance.  Heck I'll try about any deck at least once just to see what happens.  I did some stats for it and it really does technically have a bunch of resources (25 to be exact).  I guess the thing is that it doesn't have them in the traditional "1 for 1" style.  But I could see how things like PayOut, Lucrative Contracts, Bounty Collection and Bespin Exchange could help clear off tokens when needed.  Still not a fan of Remote Hideout, but I could see how your build would even get around that.   I like the use of the Scum Khirax Assault Fighters as another way to trigger Boushh. 

Budgernaut

Budgernaut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Still not a fan of Remote Hideout, but I could see how your build would even get around that.   

Actually, I always edge that card in this deck. The Bespin Exchange is the only card in the deck that can refresh the extra resource and there aren't many cheap units in this deck. Before BtS, I was using The Tatooine Crash in place of Lucrative Contract and Hive of Scum and Villainy in place of The Hunters. In that deck, the Jawas were perfect for absorbing the focus token from my Remote Hideouts. But that deck didn't have as much synergy as this new one.

yodaman

yodaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2741 posts

My bad, misread Bounty Collection.  That's what I get for hardly ever playing core Boba's set.  I thought it was remove tokens from units, not non-units.  Edge stack it is for remote hideout!

Budgernaut

Budgernaut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Wait, you're right, I'm wrong. I was thinking Bounty Collection had to be S&V cards only, but it actually could refresh Remote Hideout since that card is not a unit.

Bounty Collection reads:

Reaction: After you capture an enemy unit from play, remove 1 focus token from up to 3 different non-unit cards you control. 

EDIT: And incidentally, I was wrong about The Bespin Exchange clearing tokens from Remote Hideout since it only works on Objectives. I must have mixed those two up.

EDIT 2: Wait, I get it now. I misread your post the first time. I thought you were saying you could refresh Remote Hideout, but you were thinking of refreshing the units that were exhausted by Remote Hideout. Yeah, it's a tough card to play around. I don't mind it so much in a TIE deck ...

DavFlamerock

DavFlamerock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Budgernaut:

One of the things I noticed when we were playing on OCTGN the other day (I'm sorry we couldn't finish, btw) is that you had two Lucrative Contracts out and the Outer Rim Pirates from the same set. I don't know if you were doing this on purpose because you wanted the unit or because you had nothing good in your hand, but with 2x Lucrative Contracts you can use all three of the Pirates' resources without worry. If I had a 5-cost unit with three resources that all cleared off every turn, I'd use them as a resource for sure (I kinda treat Crix Madine that way).

I don't like Dengar's pod, even after having played with it when I was messing around with mono-Scum a few months ago (I was so sure it would be an answer to Hired Hands and Nudjs). The fighters cost too much, the resource is beyond horrible, Dengar's ability is almost never going to get used, and the Target isn't needed. I get that it goes with The Hunters, but with Lucrative Contract + Hunters + Bossk (+ Slimy imo) I don't think you need any more "capture-from-play" effects. Just jam some Slave Trade or some other intrinsically-powerful set and honestly I think you've got a good backbone.

That said, Core Boba was forcing me to play suboptimally, since I had to make sure my Katarn focus always went on him so he couldn't capture my guys, and by the time I could kill him I had Core Luke + Saber with more than enough unit damage for him (so his 2 HP wasn't an issue). And I did like the way the 2-resource Lucrative Contracts went with Pay Out. Ironically I think an increase in Scum Capture stock will actually make Core Boba better.

I haven't figured out what I want my first mono-Scum build to be, but this one tickles me:

2x Hunters

2x Slave Trade

2x Tatooine Crash

1x Jabba's Orders

3x ???

PROFIT

• Holubaloo likes this

Noonerz

Noonerz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
I've invested like no time in reading this thread (which I'll do tomorrow at some point), but Snoova costs 3 and Bounty Collection removes 3 tokens? Coincidence? Dunno but it's good. Add in a salacious objective or a chain reaction and we've got a good ol barbecue down by the sarlac pit.

Wrath87

Wrath87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts
I have managed to trigger bounty collection of bosk half a dozen times. With the new stuff it's only going to get better. New fett with mandalorian armour would be crazy but hardly ever happen.

Budgernaut

Budgernaut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
@DavFlamerock

Good point about using the Outer Rim Space Pirates' resources with Lucrative Contract. I thonk my hesitation with that was I didn't want them getting them locked by your tactics and I felt like I needed them to hold the Force.

Thanks for bringing up the point about Core Boba Fett needing to be dealt with. It's something I've thought about with my testing. I think Boba doesn't last long but he is a real threat that changes how your opponent plays. This is truer now than before because Boushh makes capture from play more potent.

Letux

Letux

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1590 posts

My first thoughts with Boba were to splash him into Sith instead of running him in mono scum.

• yankeefan1355 likes this

dbmeboy

dbmeboy

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3902 posts

My first thoughts with Boba were to splash him into Sith instead of running him in mono scum.

He'd definitely be good there.  I want to experiment some with mono-scum options, but after that it's Boba-Sith.  Maybe something like Vader, Mara, Emperor, Boba, Zekka (Mara loves getting an extra unit damage after all).

• yodaman likes this

yankeefan1355

yankeefan1355

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1225 posts

I just want Mara Jade or Vader with both a lightsaber and a flamethrower!

Probably try something like:

2x New Bobba Fett

2x Vader

2x Palpy

2x Sariss

1x Mara Jade

1x Call of the Cult

No Twists but resources for days.

pantsyg

pantsyg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2690 posts
I have a Scum deck that I'm loving, but it's a secret!

Tried Zekka with Mara, Emp, Vader, Counsel. Found the deck seemed to lack units, and was overloaded with events. Boba might have been a better fit.

I'm loving Armed to the Teeth. Hilarious to play on new Yoda when the opponent thinks he's getting 3 unopposed tactics icons :)

dbmeboy

dbmeboy

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3902 posts

I'm loving Armed to the Teeth. Hilarious to play on new Yoda when the opponent thinks he's getting 3 unopposed tactics icons :)

Armed to the Teeth only works with friendly units.  No matter how much you pretend to be his friend, Yoda isn't a friendly unit ;)

pantsyg

pantsyg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Armed to the Teeth only works with friendly units.  No matter how much you pretend to be his friend, Yoda isn't a friendly unit ;)

Good to know!  That actually happened to my Yoda...L2FR for me :(