Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

DS Trooper Decks

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

yodaman

yodaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2741 posts

Ok played someone on OCTGN last night who had come up with a very cool trooper deck variation.  I don't want to spoil the whole thing here since he's still tweaking it, but needless to say if the DS drops not 1 but 2 Imperial Disciplines, then Espo Troopers plus Killing Cold is a nightmare to play against.  I ended up making it respectable but it was clear from about turn 2 that my mono-jedi deck which has won many games since the new cards came out was not going to win. 

• pantsyg likes this

pantsyg

pantsyg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Ok played someone on OCTGN last night who had come up with a very cool trooper deck variation.  I don't want to spoil the whole thing here since he's still tweaking it, but needless to say if the DS drops not 1 but 2 Imperial Disciplines, then Espo Troopers plus Killing Cold is a nightmare to play against.  I ended up making it respectable but it was clear from about turn 2 that my mono-jedi deck which has won many games since the new cards came out was not going to win. 

I thought about this, but I ended up not building it because I was concerned that it would be too easy to play around by avoiding putting damage on Hoth objectives. I assume he had enough Hoth to make that difficult?

yodaman

yodaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2741 posts

I think he had at least 6 Hoth.  He started Vader's Fist, Killing Cold and Family Connections.  I managed to destroy Family Connections then he flipped Sabotage in the Snow so it was all Hoth out and anytime I tried to get damage in, he was able to sack stuff to remove the damage with Killing Cold while at the same time doing damage to my objectives with the Imperial Disciplines. 

pantsyg

pantsyg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Imperial Discipline is just such a strong card when there's free troopers. He defends, you're obligated to kill his guys if you don't want to lose your units, and for your trouble you take objective damage. Then if Tagge is around, he just plays them again next turn for free :(

• yodaman likes this

yodaman

yodaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2741 posts

I actually managed to get rid of Tagge by playing 2 Lightsaber deflections during one attack, recycling one with Obi and then using it again for the 3rd damage.  The one thing about the Trooper Deck he played was that it literally NEVER took the force after I got it on my first turn.  The early Obi let me recycle good edge cards and/or useful cards.  The problem was I could never get enough Damage on Vader's Fist to turn it off long enough for me to have 6 cards in hand on my own turns, because of that stupid Killing Cold. 

pantsyg

pantsyg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

I feel like that deck is much weaker if Killing Cold isn't out.  I do like that set against the preponderance of LS Character-based decks.

Rio

Rio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2211 posts
I played my trooper deck yesterday at the store championship, I loved it. I think I needed 2 Tarkin pods instead of the 1 of I was running.

2x Family connections
2x Motti
2x take them prisoner
1x Tarkin
1x sabotage in the snow
2x Dark Trooper

like I said might pull Snow for another Tarkin, Superlaser and his ability with The enhancement from Family Connections makes the lightside think about a lot of attacking and defending choices.

yankeefan1355

yankeefan1355

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1225 posts

That was sort of the type of concept I was thinking of initially when I posted it on the Rebel thread and it was the 1st Trooper deck I built the day I received BtS:

Sith Affiliation

2x Vader's Fist

1x Killing Cold

1x Imperial Command

1x Take them Prisoner

1x Dark Trooper Project

2x Family Connections

1x Corporate Exploitation

1x Sabotage in the Snow

However, my next thought was of taking out Imperial Command and Dark Trooper Project in favor of A General's Imperative, and A Dark Time for the Rebellion.  The idea being that with 6 Hoth objectives and BOH edge cards you'd have a better chance of not only winning edge battles but healing Hoth objectives while using cheap shielded units that can work with Forward Command Base, which is sort of like the DS's version of Asteroid Base and out race the LS to run up the dial.

There's also Trooper Assault, Tear this Ship Apart, and the E-Web, as well as The Desolation of Hoth to use.

yankeefan1355

yankeefan1355

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1225 posts

2x Vader's Fist

1x Killing Cold

2x Family Connections

1x Take Them Prisoner

1x A General's Imperative

1x A Dark Time for the Rebellion

1x Sabotage in the Snow

1x Corporate Exploitation

Any thoughts about this deck?

doctormungmung

doctormungmung

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 861 posts
3/5/2 objective split will be tough some games. Especially since none of your navy units are neutral, and none of your sith troopers are neutral.

yankeefan1355

yankeefan1355

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1225 posts

That's what BobbaFett said as well. :) 

If you nix Corporate Exploitation than I guess you could add in Imperial Command or DTP or double up another Hoth, Navy, or Sith set.  I've just been really wanting to use Corporate Exploitation somehow in a Trooper deck!  :P

MasterJediAdam

MasterJediAdam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1623 posts

Have you run into many problems drawing all 4 neutral objectives initially or 1 Navy and 3 neutral?  That seems like it would be crippling.

Interestingly enough, this is called hypogeometric probability, and here is a website.

• HomerJ, yodaman and yankeefan1355 like this

MasterJediAdam

MasterJediAdam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1623 posts

Yoda's maths check out. I always use this lovely calculator. http://stattrek.com/...rgeometric.aspx

I should have just quoted you! I was so excited I knew this answer I missed your post.

mikado

mikado

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

if the DS drops not 1 but 2 Imperial Disciplines, then Espo Troopers plus Killing Cold is a nightmare to play against.

Does Imperial Discipline 3 times limit per phase apply total or per card? Secondly, can you react with each ID separately to each trooper leaving play?

pantsyg

pantsyg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Does Imperial Discipline 3 times limit per phase apply total or per card? Secondly, can you react with each ID separately to each trooper leaving play?

Definitely yes to the second part, since both cards' reactions are triggered by the same event.  I'm unclear about the first, though; I lean towards the interpretation that it's 3 per card, but Force Choke and Rebel Assault have a similarly worded limits and those obviously are not per card.

jjohnson111

jjohnson111

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

This was the idea I referenced earlier in this thread.  I had been working up a hoth trooper deck, then realized I could just throw my troopers into the laser beams of the Executor to sacrifice them.  Espo troopers during deploy phase with a killing cold out and all Hoth objectives is awful in terms of LS damage.  The one thing that I have been fighting with and haven't had a chance to tweak this weekend with work was figuring out how to reliably get Executor out with resources.  Get Tagge out to interrupt the troopers going to discard and it becomes a sad, bleak day for LS, unless I am missing something in the rulings or wordings of the cards.

So far:

x2 Killing Cold 

x2 Executor

x2 Family Connections

x1 Sabotage in the Snow

x1 Espo Troopers

x2 501st Legion (I think this one is going to come out for something else)

• yodaman likes this

TGO

TGO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2588 posts
If only they didn't Faq the killing cold. Tagge + espo + killing cold + executor would be fun times.
  • chunkygorillas likes this

Letux

Letux

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1590 posts

So far:

x2 Killing Cold 

x2 Executor

x2 Family Connections

x1 Sabotage in the Snow

x1 Espo Troopers

x2 501st Legion (I think this one is going to come out for something else)

My version ended up being identical! Haven't gotten a chance to try it yet though.

jjohnson111

jjohnson111

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Well, if you allow your enemies to damage it without killing it, than it could be a great pain in the butt.  Or, if you have other Hoth objective out, it's still awful.

jjohnson111

jjohnson111

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

My version ended up being identical! Haven't gotten a chance to try it yet though.

I found myself resource starved for getting Executor out.  I had a turn 1 Holocron, turn 2 Executor, and objectives on the table were Killing Cold, 501st Legion, and something else (not an Executor arrives, which would change this scenario entirely).  I never got a chance to play Executor with no luck in drawing the forward command posts or another holocron.  

Something I am considering is putting in the Second Phase - getting the objective out, sacrifice Holocron, damage it to get Executor out, and then the event in the pod that allows you to re-heal the objective.  The Holocrons would also lower the cost of the big troopers in the pod too.