Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

more greater good

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
220 replies to this topic

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts

Brad is the other designer.  He's been on Cthulhu for a while though.

Yep that is the name couldn't think. I don't know how much he worked on it before Syndicates though. 

Mulletcheese

Mulletcheese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1047 posts
After the first preview I thought this box would be broken, in a bad way, but now they've spoiled more cards I think it should be ok.

Conspiracies that people want to play, wow.

The other sub theme is hunters, which we'll probably see in the next preview.

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts

there are some "broken" cards but there have been in every box so I am not to upset about it just shakes up the meta and make people adjust, none of these make Agency by far the best by any means and they needed a lot of help. Also, most of there best cards seem to really want to be in a mono agency deck which limits them. 

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

If a faction is under the curve, I don't know any way to pull them up without giving them some strong cards.  I'm not worried about the meta suddenly being dominated by Agency, especially mono-Agency since as mnBroncos pointed out some of the cards seem to encourage this.  It would be nice to see them show up *sometimes* though which seldom happens now.  Going by memory, I don't think any of the 2014 Gencon decks were using Agency, and although I wasn't there I haven't heard of any 2014 Worlds decks using them either.

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts

As far as I saw there was I think one deck that was running agency but think was in bottom two....could be wrong but if I am wrong then it was zero haha

Mulletcheese

Mulletcheese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1047 posts
I usually play agency and I do well with them, they already have some broken cards (e.g. basilica).
This box will just give two themes that new players can use just by using a core plus deluxe.
Another anti yithian card is welcome.

NuFenix

NuFenix

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

I bet this is getting you more excited for the box Mulletcheese, especially if it's out in time for the SC at GTG in March.

Unnamable

Unnamable

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

The Foundation's multiple domain payment is nice! I've been expecting an ability such as this for some time now and wonder if it is a major theme? Hunters seem like a very flavorful theme, I wonder what their schtick will be? Love the artwork for The Usual Suspects and hope to find a readable version perhaps on the artist's website. I also enjoy the Warrant Officer's art! It reminds me of the movie Alien, being hunted by some horror in the bowels of a ship! :o  

Kwakkie

Kwakkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Not a fan of agency, most bland faction out there. The box looks ok at this point, powerful things but still nothing that screams "WOW, I have to play this".  Just hope it brings something worthwhile to make me want to build an Agency deck. At least the conspiracies and Intelligence Agent look neat.

Also, why is there a silver twilight symbol on the agency conspiracy cards? Some hint?

Mulletcheese

Mulletcheese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1047 posts

I bet this is getting you more excited for the box Mulletcheese, especially if it's out in time for the SC at GTG in March.

I won't be playing it in the SC if it's out.
I try and avoid playing factions that will be popular at the event, I think it's more fun for other players if they face a wider range of factions, and if it's a new box it should be popular. That's kind of how I ended up playing agency in the first place, I thought "nobody plays these agency guys and everybody on the forum says they are rubbish" and went with them and they worked really well for me.

I might make an exception if there are a card or two that really inspire me in the box.
I wouldn't normally be using the Cthulhu box with it being the most recent box but I've been inspired by the story attachment that makes you sacrifice a character when you lose a skill check. I'm building a syndicate skill manipulation deck for the SC using the attachment plus 3x khopesh and 3x the support that gives all your characters toughness ;)

I'll always have an agency deck available for casual games.
  • LordTeacup likes this

HomerJ

HomerJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Also, why is there a silver twilight symbol on the agency conspiracy cards? Some hint?

What?  Am I missing something?

Oooooh, I see.  The watermark in the textboxes.  Error in the PDF I'd assume.

Edited by HomerJ, 16 January 2015 - 02:01 AM.

Jhaelen

Jhaelen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

Of the newly previewed cards I like Intelligence Agent and The Great Work best. The former could be nice to get rid of Negotium and the latter because I still dislike decks focusing on cards that can be triggered from the discard.

Yuggoth

Yuggoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Looks great (both art and design), I am always hungry for new cards, and I think this box will provide lots of interesting possibilities. Looking forward to trying it out.

HomerJ

HomerJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Even more exciting?  With the impending release of this box, FFG should be announcing the next box soon too!

Hastur?  Shub?  Silver Twilight?  New stories?   Can't wait!!!

blinovitch

blinovitch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Even more exciting?  With the impending release of this box, FFG should be announcing the next box soon too!

Hastur?  Shub?  Silver Twilight?  New stories?   Can't wait!!!

My recollection is they mentioned during the State of the LCG event that the next box will be Shub-Niggurath's.

• Carthoris likes this

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts

Yea they already announced that Shub is next, I love shub but for balance should be hastur

• HomerJ, VonWibble and aronpolemic like this

Obtuse

Obtuse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts
I have a theory that they just don't have the first clue on how to "fix" Hastur and have shoved that problem as far down the road as they can.

New agency box looks sweet. That character that blows up conspiracies (Intelligence Agent?) could do so much for "weenie" decks that get hit hard by the unrestricted Negotium. Looks like lots of options for some lock down with new Agency stuff. Looking forward to tinkering with the new box!

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

I have a theory that they just don't have the first clue on how to "fix" Hastur and have shoved that problem as far down the road as they can.

Or, they're saving the best for last :)

• dormouse, NuFenix, Carthoris and 1 other like this

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts

All Hastur needs is few more control elements. Make control an actual option. Give them a conspiracy/support that while its in play terror doesn't effect from insanity and then they are fine. I also like their cancel and discard theme so maybe little more with that. They aren't actually that far behind but they just need their 4 or so staple cards that every other faction has. 

• Carthoris likes this

Asmoridin

Asmoridin

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Have they stopped doing non-faction Deluxe Expansions?  I thought their goal was to try to throw one of those (Like Terror in Venice) into the mix every 2 or so faction Deluxes.