Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

more greater good

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
220 replies to this topic

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts

I am not sure.... I hate to say it  because I am one that always says to not talk about it but until they do a box like that I think they will be done once every faction gets a box. I am really hoping that isn't the case but it seems likely... 

Asmoridin

Asmoridin

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts

I'm hoping its not the case too.  I'd like to think for the best in this case- maybe they really think its more important to get these faction boxes out to help make the game more accessible for new players, and then will get back to non-faction specific Deluxes?

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts

Well if you do think about it it does make most sense to get everyone their box so that their isn't this power gap between factions that don't have their box. 

Kwakkie

Kwakkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

All Hastur needs is few more control elements. Make control an actual option. Give them a conspiracy/support that while its in play terror doesn't effect from insanity and then they are fine.

Like enchanted wood? These cards already exist and are not that great. Generally you need too many cards removing terror. Some mass willpower removal might be good. But then again, all the terror and willpower removal take up too much space in a deck, space that can be dead a lot of the time.

What hastur needs isn't more insanity dealing or cancels, but some good characters to go along with them.

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts

Hmm don't own dreamlands so never knew about that card, seems like it be very good for Hastur. They do need better characters though when I want Hastur its for some of there effects never their characters though (expect the few with key effects)

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

Having it on a Conspiracy would be better since it would almost certainly be cheaper and it wouldn't be vulnerable to Support destruction.  But overall, Terror suffers from having two different kinds of immunity which means you need countermeasures to both and one or the other is likely to be dead cards in some match ups.  A "goes insane ignoring protection" card would be of only minor help because insanity works better when you can get multiple characters insane, otherwise they come back too easily.

Perhaps they could get some cards that work off of winning Terror regardless of whether anyone actually goes insane because of it?  That would give some reason to play a more classic Terror-heavy Hastur over the Lunatics that seem more dominant now.  I also like some of their cards that give a secondary effect if the target cannot go insane, or which actually punish protection from insanity by lasting longer such as Stygian Eye.

Either way though, they definitely need better characters.  It seems like Hastur often overpays for redundant multiple Terror icons (and occasionally multiple Arcanes) and could really use some additional Combat or maybe ways to transform their other redundant icons into Terror.

On the Deluxe expansions...  There has never been any official announcement about dropping non-faction Deluxe boxes.  My impression is that due to some delays on the way the faction boxes are taking longer than originally hoped and they're probably trying to compensate by doing all the faction boxes first to make up time.  Then, once they're all out they can do some more non-faction deluxe boxes.  Since they're doing new story decks for Draft I'm thinking they may eventually choose to use those decks for tournaments as well as they're easy to put out, cheap, and by making players buy draft starters they're more likely to try out some draft boosters as well.  Makes sense to me, and it preserves space in the deluxe boxes for more player cards.

• WWDrakey likes this

Asmoridin

Asmoridin

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Since they're doing new story decks for Draft I'm thinking they may eventually choose to use those decks for tournaments as well as they're easy to put out, cheap, and by making players buy draft starters they're more likely to try out some draft boosters as well.  Makes sense to me, and it preserves space in the deluxe boxes for more player cards.

Meaning that those of us who don't particularly want to play Cthulhu draft would have to buy the draft starters in order to have tournament legal story decks?

Actually, that's really not too bad an idea.  That's not too pricey, and heck, you're probably right in that I'd be willing to give draft a chance after that.

Hmm...

Nightmare588

Nightmare588

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
as a huge fan of Delta Green, im super pumped for this box. I think the case could be made to bridge the two games to get more interest. in my group, once I made the association that the Agency is actually DG, a few of my RPers decided to give the demo a try. maye with this box I can finally hook them in

Mulletcheese

Mulletcheese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1047 posts
Ffg said in the state of the union that the deluxe only model was doing really well for cthulhu, and that the first 2 cycles would be made available via POD.

The problem is that while half your factions require asylum packs and you need to buy a AP for the legal story cards you don't have a deluxe only model, and you need to keep the AP's in print.

I think FFG have prioritised the faction boxes so they can move all the AP's to POD as soon as possible, then we'll get new stories in a multi-faction box.
  • WWDrakey likes this

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

Meaning that those of us who don't particularly want to play Cthulhu draft would have to buy the draft starters in order to have tournament legal story decks?

Actually, that's really not too bad an idea.  That's not too pricey, and heck, you're probably right in that I'd be willing to give draft a chance after that.

Right.  A draft starter is only $5 retail, so I don't think anyone can really complain that it's a gouging move.  In return, it frees them up to release story decks independent of the deluxe box schedule and giving an incentive for people to try draft ought to be worth something for keeping the game profitable.  I don't know how big an effect, but anything helps, right?  My goal at this point is to keep Cthulhu alive and getting new releases for as long as possible, and while I admit having been skeptical up front I enjoyed trying draft as so have the other players I've talked to.

• LordTeacup likes this

Asmoridin

Asmoridin

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Right.  A draft starter is only $5 retail, so I don't think anyone can really complain that it's a gouging move.  In return, it frees them up to release story decks independent of the deluxe box schedule and giving an incentive for people to try draft ought to be worth something for keeping the game profitable.  I don't know how big an effect, but anything helps, right?  My goal at this point is to keep Cthulhu alive and getting new releases for as long as possible, and while I admit having been skeptical up front I enjoyed trying draft as so have the other players I've talked to.

Yeah, I was skeptical, but after trying Netrunner draft for the first time last week... I could definitely see some potential in trying the Cthulhu version.

And I'd love for this game to stay living as long as possible as well. Whatever works, so long as it works :)

BeldVanGuard

BeldVanGuard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

This set looks amazing, and it's nice that Agency won't be a 2 trick pony anymore

Draft is Amazing

Hastur needs his box damnit

That is all =p

• aronpolemic likes this

aronpolemic

aronpolemic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Not quite on topic, but... Does anyone think that Silver Twilight will get another box of its own? Really the only reason it did in the first place was to introduce it as it didn't exist before then. So say maybe... Shub then Hastur then general, then Silver Twilight?

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

I would like it to, but I am not expecting it.  Lately they've started releasing some extra ST cards in each box, I think they're doing this instead of a separate box.  That, and to avoid confusion for new players not understanding the difference between two different Silver Twilight boxes.  But, I would love to be proven wrong.

• Carthoris likes this

blinovitch

blinovitch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

I'm pulling for another Silver Twilight box. They're a fun faction to play and I'd love to see them get the same kind of focus on one or two of their elements in a new box.

• Carthoris likes this

Mulletcheese

Mulletcheese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1047 posts
There's a lot of existing government characters that don't make the cut in my agency decks, some only just fail to make it. The new government synergy will breath life into those old cards. The new cost reduction means I finally get to play with g-men and other high costed agency characters.

ultimate26

ultimate26

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

I bet james logan will be even more awesome with the cost reduction guy from this set ;)

Play james for 3cc, then attach 2 prize pistols and double kill 2 guys ftw!

• Saint7x likes this

Obtuse

Obtuse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts
James Logan is an Independent and doesn't have government subtype sadly, so he won't get big buffs.

ultimate26

ultimate26

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

The new 3cc card reduces the cost of any agency card, so james is still good to go ;)

Obtuse

Obtuse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts
Oh must have missed that one! I still think they should unrestrict James Logan. Anyone else want to protest outside FFG HQ with a "Free James" picket sign?