Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Aun'Shi Deck Thread

AunShi Ethereal Gift of the Ethereals

• Please log in to reply
510 replies to this topic

Killax

Killax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2108 posts

After the other deck threads appearing I have to say that deck discussion reamins the best and coolest thing about Conquest LCG.

- Altough early, I and our playing group allow Proxy cards and this is also the same for Warlords and their signature cards. As such it gives you a global feeling on what works and doesn't for certain Warlords (be sure to see a Coteaz deck thread tonight, as I and many others seem to like him als).

I have to admit the Warlock Destructor has leaded to the early creation of this topic. Currently (post Ku'gath, pre Aun'Shi) we also know which cards will be available (globally) to Aun'Shi.

- The advantage of this is that it allows you to directly thake Aun'Shi into competative formats or know where his strenghts are and weaknesses.

Note: In all playtests the bloodied version of Aun'Shi was represented by a 1/5 Aun'Shi, without ability, this due to the difficulty of bloody-ing him in the first place and his Attachment (much is true for Ku'gath and my money also is on Coteaz being a 1/5). 

Currently the deck is as follows:

2 (15)

Thoughts behind the deck:

• Previous idea was posted in the Shadowsun/Gift of Ethereals thread. As pointed out, it included many Limited cards. Before the spoiling of Warlock Destructor the deck was insanely heavy focused on Aggro. Sometimes this worked out (against Eldorath, Kith, Ragnar and Zarathur really well actually) but could also heavily backfire (agains Cato, Straken, Nazdreg and Ku'gath altough it's early to say, as Ive tested Aun'Shi mostly against SM, DE and Eldar).
  • The deck does not include Void Pirates as they contribute little to combat. Aside from that the signature Army units of Aun'Shi allready make this deck very light on it's cost. Aggro, is the plan of the above deck.
  • Currently the only card that is from another faction (or not Neutral) is the Warlock Destructor. In previous gameplay the Eager Recruit also has proven being fantastic with Aun'Shi as it would allow for more options to win certain battle-rewards. The only dowside was a distinct lack of Command Icons, something that I feel Aggro needs in order futher punish opponents.
  • The deck is fully open for upcomming cards, as such the above is just a sketch and not a template.
  • Experimenting with Experimental Devil Fish. So far I've liked it, due to it being comparable to other 4/2 armorbane units. Protecting it is a bit harder but it does become an insane beatstick with Ethereal Wisdom + Kau'yon Strike. Allowing you to beat in two combats with a 5/2 Armorbane unit.

Strong points of the deck:

+ A demanding Combat presence, due to possible Armorbane, even with it's low drops.

+ The ability to remove any X/2 with your Warlord, often negating not only Resources but also being a Warlord that has something comparable to: Tap, destroy target 0,1,2 drop.

+ Downsides of the deck are migated by the Support cards in the deck (including signature).

Weak points:

- Not claming planets with solo Aun'Shi can be an issue.

- Deck relies on many X/2's itself making Initiative a very important factor to succes.

- Deck loses versus very high HP units (making Orks even more of an issue in a Tau vs Ork match up).

Hope you guys are looking as forward to the release of Aun'Shi like me.

The biggest difference is that unlike Shadowsun you require less mini-combo's to win. 

Looking forward to your sketches and ideas! The Aun'Shi deck is very open to allies, I feel. As long as you keep the core Tau.

• taider54, theamazingmrg, JamesVow and 1 other like this

Killcrazy

Killcrazy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
Have you tried adjusting the command in your deck? Drop the recon drone and trailblazers for eldar survivalist?

Could you share how testing is going for you? Anything not working out?

VonWibble

VonWibble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2996 posts
What interests me at least as much as what is in the deck is what isn't there.

Firstly, why only 2 Prelates? This is an Ethereal card, surely x 3? Also, given the price I'd have the limited reducer in there, which does work on ambush cards.

I also would struggle to miss Ambush Platform out. Surely given the attachments in the deck aren't being held back for the Warlord ability so much, it works better than Shadowsun. Also, you are already holding resources back for Prelates, so why not have another outlet for them?

Finally, why Stingwing Swarm rather than CBT? Ranged AB I'm guessing, though I'd rather have Altansar Rangers under those circumstances. It strikes me that CBT gives far more options for where the warlord can deploy - at the moment you pretty much have to have something on first planet for it to be worth deploying the Warlord there. More mobile units mean you can go anywhere and still benefit.

Ranged AB is very powerful for sure though, tough decision to make.

Talking of mobile units - the one that is no command but lets you draw a card if it moves - worth it for this guy? I'll e honest, I'm not convinced, but I like the thought of having a deck with so much mobile that you simply can't hide from the combat power.

Having not played with the deck at all I stress I am just curious.

KennedyHawk

KennedyHawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1890 posts

This pack came out yesterday I threw together a quick deck with Aun'Shi it went okay I ended up 2-1. The loss was to a Cato deck that had three drop pod assaults in one combat.

I think VonWibble is correct, I only put in two prelates as well but I was always dieing to get this card in my hand.

There's a lot of tricks to be had with action windows when to strike and when to use events to return your ethereal units to a planet.

He pretty easily dismantled a Dark Eldar player, got a warlord snipe using a prelate against Eldorath and lost to Cato.

I had some major misplays against Cato not wanting to waste my two shield cards to return army units to hand I could have easily capped the first 2 planets but held back events for shields. Several poor decisions on my part led to Cato getting a ridiculous resource ramp and at that point it was an uphill battle. Bork'an Recruits are a must in the Aun-Shi deck Ethereal Wisdom and a timely placemwent of your warlord can lead to a quick 5 armorbane strike on a warlord or unit!

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts

You're seriously into Warlock Destructor, aren't you? That's 2 for 1/3/4 with 1 upkeep at the start of each Deploy Phase, right?

Are we sure yet that its non-loyal? Because if they are, I think Soaring Falcons just left my Dark Eldar deck.

As another thought, think in view of Aun'shi decks in general, will be upping Syren Zythlex to x3. Try using Armourbane when all your units save your Warlord are exhausted!

• VonWibble likes this

Koz

Koz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

It is non-loyal.  It's a strong card, upkeep or no

VonWibble

VonWibble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2996 posts

You're seriously into Warlock Destructor, aren't you? That's 2 for 1/3/4 with 1 upkeep at the start of each Deploy Phase, right?

Are we sure yet that its non-loyal? Because if they are, I think Soaring Falcons just left my Dark Eldar deck.

As another thought, think in view of Aun'shi decks in general, will be upping Syren Zythlex to x3. Try using Armourbane when all your units save your Warlord are exhausted!

Deception just got better.

Wait, that's not possible.

Koz

Koz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

That only works with Deployment though anyway.  When Aun'shi uses Kauyon Strike to jump the planet poor Syren get's shot in the face. 

Aun'shi is a scary dude...

Killax

Killax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2108 posts

Hey, the one time you get nothing for days, the other week you get all the eyes! Cool.

Have you tried adjusting the command in your deck? Drop the recon drone and trailblazers for eldar survivalist?

Could you share how testing is going for you? Anything not working out?

I have not yet done this because the deck currently has a very strong Command pressence due to the flexability of the deck. Hower dropping the Recon Drone can be done I suppose. Currently Ive not done this yet because it feels like another Promotion, which is never bad.

Eldar Survivalist currently is a card I like with Eldorath but less so with Aun'Shi. The Combat is where the gold is and it adds little... Perhaps If I was to include Superiority... But I can't find the room.

Currently the deck is working out really well. Has some excellent results agains SM (Ragnar) and DE (Kith), however with just 10 games in it's early to tell. Currently Im 4-1 against Ragnar and 3-2 against Kith.

- Firstly, why only 2 Prelates? This is an Ethereal card, surely x 3? Also, given the price I'd have the limited reducer in there, which does work on ambush cards.

- I also would struggle to miss Ambush Platform out. Surely given the attachments in the deck aren't being held back for the Warlord ability so much, it works better than Shadowsun. Also, you are already holding resources back for Prelates, so why not have another outlet for them?

- Finally, why Stingwing Swarm rather than CBT? Ranged AB I'm guessing, though I'd rather have Altansar Rangers under those circumstances. It strikes me that CBT gives far more options for where the warlord can deploy - at the moment you pretty much have to have something on first planet for it to be worth deploying the Warlord there. More mobile units mean you can go anywhere and still benefit.

- Ranged AB is very powerful for sure though, tough decision to make.

- Talking of mobile units - the one that is no command but lets you draw a card if it moves - worth it for this guy? I'll e honest, I'm not convinced, but I like the thought of having a deck with so much mobile that you simply can't hide from the combat power.

- Having not played with the deck at all I stress I am just curious.

- Why more? The deck currently holds 2 and I feel very okay with it. Combined with the Envoy I have 6 non-Warlord Ethereals to work with. The addition Prelates are cool but feel less needed when you've got a great Command presence available to you. In all honesty I also feel they are great for the lategame but arn't needed in the initial set up.

- Ambush Platform is missed somewhat but not nearly as much as with Shadowsun. Apart from that, I like the interaction with Homing Becon. Granted it is limited, but starting with it feels as powerfull as a Zarathur/Ku'gath starting out with Ork Kannon.

- GBG you mean? I might want to reconsider that card again. In Shadowsun I often felt it wasn't needed. So far again I havn't felt a huge need for it. Ranged is something I very much like. Kau'yon Strike allready allows you to pretty much go anywhere and still benifit... You do have a solid point on that this is the sort of unit that can stay in there for a longer time... I'll have to test it out aswell.

- Excactly, so far I liked the Ranged and Armorbane interaction.

- I started with Piranha Hunters initially but they got traded fast for Experimental Devilfish. In theory the extra cards are nice, but again the Command presence in Tau is strong. It would feel like a shame when I would fully ignore it. Gaining a Card/Resource is nice, but gaining it while denying your opponent a Card/Resource generally is better. It would have been a world of difference if Piranha Hunters had Command by themselves. So far I like the Wraithguard-esque Experiments.

- The deck is very aggressive, which works out sometimes, but also feels like a huge risk against Orks and Chaos who can ignore the Ranged more with big bodies and/or use Actions before the whole combat even begints... I still have to test out those matches however.

This pack came out yesterday I threw together a quick deck with Aun'Shi it went okay I ended up 2-1. The loss was to a Cato deck that had three drop pod assaults in one combat.

I think VonWibble is correct, I only put in two prelates as well but I was always dieing to get this card in my hand.

There's a lot of tricks to be had with action windows when to strike and when to use events to return your ethereal units to a planet.

He pretty easily dismantled a Dark Eldar player, got a warlord snipe using a prelate against Eldorath and lost to Cato.

I had some major misplays against Cato not wanting to waste my two shield cards to return army units to hand I could have easily capped the first 2 planets but held back events for shields. Several poor decisions on my part led to Cato getting a ridiculous resource ramp and at that point it was an uphill battle. Bork'an Recruits are a must in the Aun-Shi deck Ethereal Wisdom and a timely placemwent of your warlord can lead to a quick 5 armorbane strike on a warlord or unit!

Misplays do hit this deck harder than any. Mainly because I feel the deck grands you much less time to see where the combat will go (obviously) as such it's even more important to deploy strong. The low drops help a whole lot with this.

Personally again, I'm liking the Command presence, great as Prelate it I feel it is only needed (or works best) under initiative and with the inclusion of some Ranged units. Which in short is why I included 2 so far.

Hehehe, I really am. I feel like it's one of the strongest 1 drops on planet 1 for Dark Eldar, Eldar and Tau. It actually feels like a Honoured Libby in many ways. For sure people can attack it, but 4 HP on a 2 drop just is... insane. The 'upkeep cost' feels like less of a problem when just flinging him in on planet 1. It's a real presence and if you feel like winning that initial planet (hopefully command and combat) feel free to ditch him.

We are sure it's non-loyal:

10942758_630559930382537_296830639532299

I do agree that Syren Zythlex hurts!

Altough I also have to say, since 2014 ended I never leave my DE without 3 Syren (for competative play).

- The choke is real.

That only works with Deployment though anyway.  When Aun'shi uses Kauyon Strike to jump the planet poor Syren get's shot in the face. 

Aun'shi is a scary dude...

Aun'Shi sure is a scary dude. The only problem is that certain hands can lead to a weak board presence (in short Tau lack "cheap" beefy dudes with command). The Warlock Destructor however is a great outcome to this and so are the Bor'kan Recruits who really push this thing ahead.

- The Carnivore Pack, like Crisis Battle Guard will be tested soon. I'll probably pull out the Experimental Devilfish for CP and Stingwing Swarm for CBG. The Experiment is great on initiative but hard to protect otherwise.

Thanks for all the imput guys!

Cheers,

Killcrazy

Killcrazy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Units

Recon Drone x2

Ethereal Envoy x4

Earth Caste Technician x3

Vior’la Marksman x3

Bork’an Recruits x3

Gun Drones x2

Warlock Destructor x3

Fireblade Kais’Vre x2

Carnivore Pack x2

Altansar Ranger x3

Stingwing Swarm x3

Ann’ui Prelate x2

Crisis Battle Guard x2

Events

Etheral Wisdom x2

Kau’yon Strike x3

Deception x3

Attachments

Honor Blade x1

Ion Rifle x3

Supports

Aun’shi’s Sanctum x1

Homing Beacon x3

In line with Killax’s thought process to bully the field with aggro, I’ve built something similar with tweaks to suit my playstyle. I generally favor a higher unit count to avoid running into a no-unit draw. Recon Drone over Promotions since it’s another unit and could theoretically benefit from the Prelate and Ethereal Wisdom. Carnivore Pack helps recover resources (which this deck needs).

Homing Beacon should provide a resource/card advantage over the opponent.

CBGs are a nice mobile threat when everything is clicking.

Lots of fat 3-costers to counter the prevalence of pinging dmg that I see in the meta with the release of the new pack (Sic’s Chosen, Dakka, Kur’gath, the new Nurgling).

Hope to test this out soon and see if my hypothesis/read of the meta is correct.

knavaros

knavaros

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Eldar ally seems good with the new option of Foretell. 0R 1S. Interrupt when battle ability triggers exhaust warlord to cancel it. then draw 1 card.You can exhaust your warlord and keep him in one more round in the combat if you are not in the first planet.About Homing Beacon im not sure Since you have other limited options  like recon drones.

Killax

Killax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2108 posts

I generally favor a higher unit count to avoid running into a no-unit draw. Recon Drone over Promotions since it’s another unit and could theoretically benefit from the Prelate and Ethereal Wisdom. Carnivore Pack helps recover resources (which this deck needs).

Homing Beacon should provide a resource/card advantage over the opponent.

CBGs are a nice mobile threat when everything is clicking.

Lots of fat 3-costers to counter the prevalence of pinging dmg that I see in the meta with the release of the new pack (Sic’s Chosen, Dakka, Kur’gath, the new Nurgling).

Hope to test this out soon and see if my hypothesis/read of the meta is correct.

Seems like a good read to me, I'll also test the deck out minus certain "extra" cards. The downside is that Tau dont have a huge ammount of heavy attack units available (yet) so I think we can't fully focus on Combat just yet. However the Carnivore Pack is indeed something that has been on my mind. A 3 ATK Armorbane is often enough versus Space Marines and Eldar, which are the potential high contenders. Besides that their Command presence is not the greatest either...

Homing Becon so far has not dissapointed. Again the deck does preform a whole lot better when you start out with one however (out of the 10 games I was lucky enough to have this around 50 %, I believe 4 out of 10 games I started with it). Without it you simply need a strong Command presence most of the time.

I also will try to include more 3 HP units, mainly because I agree that DDD! and many others can really punish a whole lot of X/1 bodies with X/2 bodies not being save either.

Thanks for sharing your list aswell!

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts

As a useful number, always worth remembering that for a 50 card deck with a 7 card draw, your chance of seeing at least 1 of a 3x card in that draw is 37% without mulligan, 60% with mulligan. so if you played 10 games and started with it 4 games, thats exactly on the odds for no-mulligan.

Knowing probabilities is dead handy: I've lost track of the number of times my opponent has said "yeah, you were lucky to have 2 Archon Terrors that last battle", to which I'll reply "actually, 31 cards deep into my deck by the final battle, I had a 95% chance of having at least 1 in my hand by now, and 68% chance of 2..."

Knowing rough probabilities at any given stage of the game is a great way of making those gamble plays into informed gamble plays! And the important number is not so much how many cards they have in their hand, but how many they've drawn so far!

• FedericoFasullo likes this

Killax

Killax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2108 posts
Thanks for the info! I agree with your analysis.

I can also say thay a miltude of Limited cards has not yet been a huge issue. Its set up that decides whats best and/or against DE you work with whats left ;)

sammann11

sammann11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
I have been testing with proxies for a few weeks myself and I decided to take the prelate out. Often times combat will last more than one round and that just added 3 more units that leave the battle after they hit. Since I already had 5 that did that I felt like 8 was too many.

One question I have is should I go with gun drones for AoE with armor bane or ditch those 3 for heavier hitting units like, say, the Devilfish or something.
  • Killax likes this

TheFuzzyBunny

TheFuzzyBunny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

So here is an interesting thing. I played against this Warlord with my new DE choke deck the other night. We had one battle where he had his warlord and one of the other eathereals who would swing then have to retreat. His warlord killed one of mine, then retreated, I failed to kill the other ethereal because he shielded that attack. He then killed my last unit, but had to retreat. This would leave zero units at the planet thus meaning it would be discarded correct? We were both at a loss and he striked the lone ethereal back to the planet to claim. No idea if that was even legal, but I allowed it anyways.

GKZhukov

GKZhukov

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1055 posts

What are everyone's thoughts on Beacon vs Drone vs Promotion?

I see Promotion being favoured here, presumably because of synergy with ECT and secondary use as a shield? Drone is also weak to pingers/dakka.

On the other hand Drone also has synergy with ECT, and although lacking secondary use and vulnerability to ping it does allow you to spread out Command and avoids an eggs-in-one-basket approach that Promotion can sometimes lead to. It also has an edge benefit of being buffable with Prelates. Perhaps most significantly it's never a waste on Turn 1. Promotion can be.

So, why aren't more favouring Drone > Promotion? Something I'm missing?

Kingsley

Kingsley

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1008 posts

I see Promotion being favoured here, presumably because of synergy with ECT and secondary use as a shield? Drone is also weak to pingers/dakka.

On the other hand Drone also has synergy with ECT, and although lacking secondary use and vulnerability to ping it does allow you to spread out Command and avoids an eggs-in-one-basket approach that Promotion can sometimes lead to. It also has an edge benefit of being buffable with Prelates. Perhaps most significantly it's never a waste on Turn 1. Promotion can be.

Drone seems much better than Promotion IMO. My Aun'Shi test deck actually has zero non-Tau cards, not even neutrals...

Minute

Minute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts

So here is an interesting thing. I played against this Warlord with my new DE choke deck the other night. We had one battle where he had his warlord and one of the other eathereals who would swing then have to retreat. His warlord killed one of mine, then retreated, I failed to kill the other ethereal because he shielded that attack. He then killed my last unit, but had to retreat. This would leave zero units at the planet thus meaning it would be discarded correct? We were both at a loss and he striked the lone ethereal back to the planet to claim. No idea if that was even legal, but I allowed it anyways.

This was legal, the battle ends when a combat turn begins for a player and their are no enemy units to attack.  There is an action window before a combat turn begins and after a combat turn ends.

In this example, he would play Kauyon Strike during the action window after he took his last combat turn killing your guy, this would return his guy to the planet.  He would then ready his guy, decide if he was going to retreat, then a new combat round would begin.  When the combat round began, he would go to take a combat turn, and then win the planet.  Since there is an action window before the next combat turn, the battle would not end in a stalemate.

• Killax and TheFuzzyBunny like this

Killax

Killax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2108 posts

Yep Minute cleared that one right up! This does happen from time to time and allready has happend before to me due to the use of Archon's Terror. It isn't a huge deal but good to have cleared for players who are new to that type of situation.

I have been testing with proxies for a few weeks myself and I decided to take the prelate out. Often times combat will last more than one round and that just added 3 more units that leave the battle after they hit. Since I already had 5 that did that I felt like 8 was too many.

One question I have is should I go with gun drones for AoE with armor bane or ditch those 3 for heavier hitting units like, say, the Devilfish or something.

Well I have to say, I can agree with you most of the time. The Prelate remains a nice card but the Command presence and Combat presence of Aun'Shi does play out much better with an Agressive strategy overall. I included some Carnivore Packs for it and it felt great.

I also tested the deck with CGS's now, they are still a very menacing unit but again feel costly for Aun'Shi, much more so than Shadowsun. In special the lack of Stealthcadre "attachments" makes them less of a direct problem to opponents for it's cost.

I personally like the Gun Drones very much as it allows you to make great use out of Envoy's ability. AoE 2 units that can be retreated after they've done their damage generally form a huge problem to any deck. Factor in potential Kauyon Strikes and your able to put the hurt on opponents time after time. When you lose it you only "lose" 2 cards and 3 resources.

The Devilfish still are very nice but their body leaves something to be said. Much like the Eldar Wraithguard they can be great but unlike the Eldar we do not have an option to put them back into play again when it matters.

My favourite for this deck goes to Promotion because it's obviously better during the initial stages of the game. After that however the card/resource advantage gained from Becon becomes better and better. Both are means to gain more cards/resources, but Promotion wins because it costs 0 and has a Shield. Including both still has worked out very well for me. The Drone isn't that much needed but feels like another piece you can use to set up a strong initial turn.

The difference between Drone and Promotion really comes down to shields imho, it's only one, but it does negate parts of the Limited keyword in that it can be used otherwise aswell.

• sammann11 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: AunShi, Ethereal, Gift of the Ethereals