Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Aun'Shi Deck Thread

AunShi Ethereal Gift of the Ethereals

• Please log in to reply
510 replies to this topic

sammann11

sammann11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Killax,
I'm with you - I took the prelate out. I may have to give Carnivore Pack more thought!

Also, maybe I'm nuts, but I feel like Warlock Destructor is getting too much love. I think he's great for late game, but early or even mid game it is often the case where you and your opponent are not always sending you warlords to the same planet. It seems more of a back and forth type deal early on. I dunno...I guess someone could quantify how long the average unit survives and see if it's worth it but I just don't get as jazzed about this card as some.
  • Killax likes this

Killax

Killax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2108 posts

Killax,
I'm with you - I took the prelate out. I may have to give Carnivore Pack more thought!

Also, maybe I'm nuts, but I feel like Warlock Destructor is getting too much love. I think he's great for late game, but early or even mid game it is often the case where you and your opponent are not always sending you warlords to the same planet. It seems more of a back and forth type deal early on. I dunno...I guess someone could quantify how long the average unit survives and see if it's worth it but I just don't get as jazzed about this card as some.

Excellent to hear man. For sure Carnivore Pack wasn't on my list before (and also is piece easily changed if we see something better) but it does bring a pure and solid Tau body, which is exactly what works really well with Armorbane on the turns where you don't have initative.

Warlock Destructor remains great during the whole game. In fact I think I like him the most during the initial set up. It is true that he will normally not always see battle, but he does when you deploy him most of the time on planet 1. Which is exactly what I do with him most of the time regardless of iniative.  The thing is, even if it where to die in the next deployment phase (which is often not the worst choice to be honest) he will have done his work. I see him as the "in your face" unit, simple to use (put him on planet 1) and not easy to deal with because of his Command and body.

The other advantage it has is that it's simply a solid unit, something Tau currently lack but was less of an issue with Shadowsun's Cadre.

• sammann11 and ExNihilo like this

Asmoridin

Asmoridin

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Warlock Destructor remains great during the whole game. In fact I think I like him the most during the initial set up. It is true that he will normally not always see battle, but he does when you deploy him most of the time on planet 1. Which is exactly what I do with him most of the time regardless of iniative.  The thing is, even if it where to die in the next deployment phase (which is often not the worst choice to be honest) he will have done his work. I see him as the "in your face" unit, simple to use (put him on planet 1) and not easy to deal with because of his Command and body.

You know, I was wondering about why he's been getting so much love as well, but this is great reasoning- I'll have to give him a shot next chance I get.  Thank you!

• Killax likes this

Killax

Killax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2108 posts

You know, I was wondering about why he's been getting so much love as well, but this is great reasoning- I'll have to give him a shot next chance I get.  Thank you!

Your welcome AND go for it! For Eldorath in particular this card holds a whole lot of power because as soon as Gift of Isha is in your hand you can always decide to let go of the Warlock and bring him back during the later stages of the game, altough this is not his deck thread :P

• kizerman86 likes this

brimmstorm

brimmstorm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts
What do people think of Fire Warrior Elite in Tau decks? Is his lack of a command icon, and 3 cost hold him back?

Killax

Killax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2108 posts

What do people think of Fire Warrior Elite in Tau decks? Is his lack of a command icon, and 3 cost hold him back?

I like him for Shadowsun as she is able to make him huge, getting much more out of his abilities. Aun'Shi however, does not really have that option (technically he has, but you've got to run some "strange" stuff). As such I like the Carnivore Pack for the same cost and a solid body more (for Aun'Shi).

Asmoridin

Asmoridin

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Isn't having him as a 5+ "shield" body nice though?  That's been my thought with him- a way to keep Aun'shi at the planet a tad longer to get more from his ability.  Has this not been working for people?

Killax

Killax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2108 posts

Isn't having him as a 5+ "shield" body nice though?  That's been my thought with him- a way to keep Aun'shi at the planet a tad longer to get more from his ability.  Has this not been working for people?

Well, it can be, the point here is that longer battles are not really Aun'Shi's thing anway. Once he attacks he's gone and in all honesty FWE is not heavily contributing to keeping Aun'Shi at the planet, altough I do agree it is another nice way of keeping the Devilfishes around this is also true for the Kroot, who effectively only cost a card later during the game.

I do have to say, I currently like Aun'Shi the most in his most aggressive form. 3 drops who have 1 ATK simply don't really help all that much.

HoopJones

HoopJones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts

My issue with the elites is that Aunshi has weirder command and planet winning abilities...I don't foresee having room for many no command units in the deck...and 1 attack with Aunshi seems like a waste
  • Killax likes this

Asmoridin

Asmoridin

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts

My issue with the elites is that Aunshi has weirder command and planet winning abilities...I don't foresee having room for many no command units in the deck...and 1 attack with Aunshi seems like a waste

I'm not trying to get attacks out of Aun'shi- I'm hoping to get more than one unit at a planet he's on attacking without worrying about someone droppping a ton of damage on Aun'shi.

I see Killax's point though, I guess I could see that.  It feels like a great card toward the end though, where your opponent knows there's a planet he HAS to win to stop you, and you can park Aun'shi there for a longer battle, and know that he's safe... but I say this without having used him yet (although I did throw together a deck to try him out this week).  I guess I should just try it both ways, eh?

Killax

Killax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2108 posts

I see Killax's point though, I guess I could see that.  It feels like a great card toward the end though, where your opponent knows there's a planet he HAS to win to stop you, and you can park Aun'shi there for a longer battle, and know that he's safe... but I say this without having used him yet (although I did throw together a deck to try him out this week).  I guess I should just try it both ways, eh?

Go for it, there is little that can stop a 1/5 body as soon as it gets hold of an Ion Rifle with Aun'Shi. In fact it also probably is one of the best cards that can actually hold the Combat Attachments in the deck (who are pretty much limited to Gun Drones and Ion Rifle). I guess it all depends on when you want to go "full Aggro" as opposed to going more for a Midgame deck with the option to extend the game to the lategame.

The player who has had some good results with Aun'Shi (I believe he became second) did in fact run them. However it also included Ambush Platform, again to sollidfy a good option for the lategame.

My main reason for not including either FWE or Ambush Platform is to spam my opponent with a multitude of strong cards. Making Archon's Terror less of an issue but also having more to do against Cato's chosen without getting my set up mauled. However, as soon as you do include the FWE your chances against Zarathur would go up dramaticly as this currently still is one of my 'issue' match ups when they start with an ideal hand altough getting Zarathur bloodied on initiative isn't a huge problem offcourse.

Generally speaking though, the bodies I use for my Attachments are Ethereal Envoy, Voir'La Marksmen and Stingwing Swarm. Adding FWE to this set up is fully optional altough you can run into having to many bodies who need Attachments to become really good. The Ranged on both Voir'La Marksmen and Stingwin always pan out great and the "hit and run" on Ethereal Envoy ensures you are able to push trough many battles as soon as you've got Gun Drones attached to them things go really quick.

• Asmoridin likes this

Asmoridin

Asmoridin

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Killax: That's actually basically what I was thinking with him as well- I saw that decklist posted, and it's actually pretty similar to what I was considering.  We'll have to see how it goes.  It looks like one that I'll need to play a lot to figure out.

Having warlords where there's work done to make them work?  That's great design in my eyes.

• Killax likes this

Killax

Killax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2108 posts

Very true, just put those cards to work and find out!

Currently I prefer the Carnivore Pack because they turn into Warlord killers with an Ion Rifle aswell if you can protect them.

sammann11

sammann11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 583 posts

I'm not trying to get attacks out of Aun'shi- I'm hoping to get more than one unit at a planet he's on attacking without worrying about someone droppping a ton of damage on Aun'shi.

I'm with Asmoridan on this. I don't want to attack with Aun'Shi until all my other units are exhausted. You want him at the planet for as long as possible so everyone gets armorbane. With this in mine he'll be around for 2, 3, or even 4 or more units to try to hit him. I like the fire warrior elite to be there in this case. Let him soak up those hits.

Yes, he's not as good as wehn Shadowsun slaps a Stealth Cadre on him, but he can still take 2 or 3 hits.

Plus, if you're running a less expensive deck (and not packing Crisis Battle Guard) then Fire Warrior Elite is a good card to "put into play in your HQ"  if either player triggers that battle ability (as is Devilfish). His ability still works when he's exhausted and you won't have to worry about him arriving at the next planet exhausted and not contributing to command - he doesn't anyway! ;)

And yes - it's great towards the end. I've had a couple games where I've dropped 2 of them on the winning planet. It's demoralising for the other guy...

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts

Have run my first couple of Aun'shi games, and I'm really bad at him.

One thing I hadn't realised is just how bad Aun'shi is in a fight when opposing Warlords are present. Aun'shi plus Borkan Recruits plus Warlock Destructor was a reasonable force, I thought, but that and similar forces consistently dropped in front of enemy Warlord plus a couple of weaker units.

I'm thinking at present my Aun'shi lacks aggression: I need to stack in more hard hitting power. Aun'ui Prelate impressed massively though, so thats going from 2x up to 3x. Am also going to go crazy and go up to 8 Limited: 3 Beacons, 3 Promotions, 2 Recon Drones. What I really want here is more Tau with Ranged as well, so will be adding in a trio of Stingwing Swarms.

Meanwhile I am also running into a dilemma. I know 3x Ambush Platform works for Shadowsun, but I disdained them entirely in Aun'shi, in favour of a build with far fewer attachments. Now I'm kicking myself: I drew Gun Drones and couldn't do anything useful with  them.

Do people run Ambush Platforms out of Aun'shi?

Killax

Killax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2108 posts

I think it all depends on the total decklist Asklepios, the Ambush Platforms can be great when needed, just make sure you are aggresive where possible. However, the initial battle versus Space Marines (due to Indomitable and Drop Pod) isn't always easily won. The key here is to have a much stronger Command presence and make sure DP can't be played.

Altough I do have to ask, what where your match ups, what do you think went wrong and why didn't you include the Stingwing Swarm initially?

Aun'ui Prelate can indeed be another nice option but before anything else Stingwing Swarm is just incredible with Aun'Shi.

You could drop the Recon Drones in favour of Ambush Platform if you really want to.

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts

Was running Tau/Eldar, and went up with it against DE/Eld, and AM/Ork, IIRC.

Don't recall the details, as played a lot of tired games last night and was focusing on my Kith game, mostly trying out Aun'shi to learn how to fight him, as I'm expecting to see at least a few Aun'shis at this Saturday's store tourney.

Wasn't sure about Stingwing Swarm because of my cost curve, basically, but I think that was a mistake. I think big attack values are the key to getting the 1-round battles of Aun'shi working.

Killax

Killax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2108 posts

Looking forward to your next results, also be sure to test the Carnivore Pack. The card is growing on me every game as the potential of this card causes opponents to commit much more savely (for them), which in turn even further improves your Combat presences or makes guessing where your opponent should commit easier.

Asmoridin

Asmoridin

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Wasn't sure about Stingwing Swarm because of my cost curve, basically, but I think that was a mistake. I think big attack values are the key to getting the 1-round battles of Aun'shi working.

I really just imagine the Stingwings are going to be so amazing because Range + Armorbane = sad opposition. 

I haven't decided on Ambush Platform either.. currently I'm not running it... but I have copies on me to swap in tonight to try it out. 

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts

Never rated the Carnivore Pack when trying it with Shadowsun, but I can see that the bigger natural attack value is a good fit for this warlord.

A little worried again about the cost curve though if I'm running 3 Stingwings and 3 Prelates...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: AunShi, Ethereal, Gift of the Ethereals