After the appearance of future AM cards in other threads we can now fully see the cards available to Coteaz when his Warpack is released.
- Altough early, I and our playing group allow Proxy cards and this is also the same for Warlords and their signature cards. As such it gives you a global feeling on what works and doesn't for certain Warlords.
- The advantage of this is that it allows you to directly thake Coteaz into competative formats or know where his strenghts are and weaknesses.
Note: In all playtests the bloodied version of Coteaz was represented by a 1/5 Torquemada Coteaz, without ability, this due to the difficulty of bloody-ing him in the first place (8HP) and his Attachment where just like Ku'gath, Aun'Shi and others grand him additional ATK (and them some).
Currently the deck is as follows:
- 2x The Emperor Protects
- 3x Mystic Warden
- 3x To Arms!
The basic idea here is to make use of Coteaz's strong starting hand and resources, by playing out the full hand a strong Command presence is guaranteed. The 3 and 4 drops are cut to a minimum, basicly they are only there to gain more cardadvantage as a result.
A couple of cards that currently didn't make the cut:
- Captain Markis, a very potent card but like Coteaz also very demanding in cards. As such I decided to cut him so Coteaz has more cards available. The exhaust effect still is very powerfull but unless opponents retreat Coteaz is very able to remove a multitude of pieces in order to come out victorious.
- Assault Valkyrie, while fantastic is also a huge body, often not worth it for Coteaz to sacrifice, as such the synergy between these cards is to little to make great use out of it.
- Supressive Fire, while still very good I try to steer away from this card because the new aim is to either hit hard with normal ATK or hit hard with Ranged. This card might eventually find it's place in the deck again.
A couple of very interesting combinations, something this deck feeds on, much like Aun'Shi needs his combination cards in order to be dominant:
- To Arms! causes some insane combinations with Catachan Outpost, Formosan Black Ship and Staging Ground when needed.
- Staging Ground, makes Mystic Warden (and most other drops) have Ambush. In special Mystic Warden combined with Elysian Assault Team allow for a very unexpected battle. Staging Ground also allows Coteaz to be deployed much more freely, something he doesn't always initially need (due to the heavy plays on turn 1) but does come in handy during the later stages of the game where opponents might have disrupted the set up more. Staging Ground + Inquisitor Acolythe also allows for much more use out of those 2 cards, causing some very unexpected battle results.
- Cadian Mortar Squad, allows you to 'ping' multiple units if needed combined with Coteaz's ability. Initially I wasn't very impressed by the card but the advantage gained from this can become quite big with a Catachan Outpost + To Arms!
Cards that are still on the table and will be tested eventually:
- Enginseer Augur
- Muster the Guard, the card does allow for a heavier costed Coteaz deck. It will be tested evenentually but does force the removal of Mystic Warden and Staging Ground.
- Steel Legion Chimera, what this card does is something I like a lot. Altough currently I favour Inerrogator Acolythe and Mortar Squad over it due to more direct synergy with Coteaz. I feel SLC is something for the future where AM will be able to run full/heavy vechicle...
- Ammo Depot, as suggested by some Coteaz can create the demand for cards quicker as other Warlords in the game. As such I would probably drop Staging Ground all together for Ammo Depots.
Even moreso than Aun'Shi this deck feeds heavily on multiple card combinations. However with the starting hand of Coteaz and strong Command presence of AM overall it is quite possible to come out on top quickly.
As mentioned before Staging Ground allows much more flexible deployment for Coteaz, so it might eventually end up 3x in this deck, in special combined with Mystic Warden it can set of a very potent battle out of nowhere.
Hope you like this initial sketch, I am looking very forward to more decklists from you guys!
Feedback is always welcome.