Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Torquemada Coteaz Deck Thread

Torquemada Coteaz Inquisitor The Threat Beyond

• Please log in to reply
484 replies to this topic

Solaris

Solaris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1242 posts
I checked the SC results and I'm surprised to discover that Corteaz actually has 3 wins. Do they all run the same deck with the Mortar Team? I'd like to hear about some winning strategy in a meta dominated by Worr.

LordVampire

LordVampire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 861 posts

I checked the SC results and I'm surprised to discover that Corteaz actually has 3 wins. Do they all run the same deck with the Mortar Team? I'd like to hear about some winning strategy in a meta dominated by Worr.

Troop Transport is pure gold for Coteaz as is Shrine Guard. So not much surprise there really. I don't think Coteaz needs the Cadians btw.

ellonellanfair

ellonellanfair

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

HI guys,

Regarding Coteaz Swarm, I've upped the Inquisitorial to 3x. As to how to play it, Syntax is on the money.

First, Opening hand. Depending on the planet flop, you need to evaluate your hand properly. No card bonuses on planet flop? Mull for Ammo Depot immediately. This is even if you have a solid command hand. A case could be made if you have blackship though. If there are good amount of card bonuses on planets, then even without depot, as long as you have a good command hand, then keep it. These are first things you must consider on opening hand for Coteaz. He lives and dies on cards because of his own ability. Next to consider is icons. The Coteaz Swarm build is scary on mid to long games. He can rush a bit with snakebites and inquisitorial fortress but he's stronger when he has a 'deathball' with him on the train.

First round, deploy phase. Aim to win command on cards, unless you have ammo depot (at which point, win resources and a little cards). if you can't win planet 1, then don't and give it up, play your winnies to win command instead of putting them in planet 1 as a death sentence. You will know if you can win battle at planet 1 from the get go. If you can't win, commit Coteaz elsewhere and snipe or sometimes commit him to planet 1 just to steal command. All your 1 for 1s have an attack now so you can snipe properly. With the addition of troop, I don't fear archon's terror when sniping. You want to draw into Ammo Depots to play more dudes and ultimately reach the 'deathball'. Control battles with inquisitorial fortresses.

Second Round onwards, continue to evaluate if you can win planet 1. Depending on opponent's presence, you might need to give it up. However, around round 3 onwards, the deathball should be building up or you just have snakebites and inquisitorials to contest planet 1. Cadian Mortar Squads is scary. There were reports in this thread of Cadian dealing up to 6 damage by itself with Coteaz. Note that after Coteaz swings and there are no more henchmen to eat, you can still sac another army unit even if you're exhausted to ready Cadian once more and squeeze more damage. The deathball combo is really just henchmen, cadians, markis, Coteaz and his eagle and bunch of other army units. All of this is made possible by ammo depot and muster. The deathball can deal 12 to 20 damage all in the ranged phase killing all ready units. The good thing about Coteaz Deathball is that they still work even if you commit with them exhausted. I've won battles where all my opponent's army units are ready and I commit my deathball.

Coteaz is a combo warlord in this sense. He is not played like other tier 1 warlords where you are just autopiloting on the deploy phase and combat phase. His toughest matchup is Zarathur due to 3 damage warpstorms but you have stronger command than Zara and the 3x inquisitorial helps a lot. Against Kith, Syntax is right in tying command but more importantly, win command on the 1C 1R planets. Punch through the choke with ammo depot and muster. Make sure cadians and markis are undamaged. If you have blackship, you're in a better state and have higher winning chance. Other warlords you can just dominate them with the deathball and the command.

• cadupa96, Liyan, SyntaxLost and 2 others like this

Solaris

Solaris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1242 posts

Thanks for a very insightful post about Coteaz! I admit that I struggle to make him work, and reading your strategy makes it easier for me to comprehend the mechanism that defines this warlord. I do wonder if the recent addition of Vanguard and Lasgun will help Coteaz, since Vanguard can ready an unit after he leaves play, and Lasgun can go back to your hand once its attached unit leaves play. Seems like these two cards were meant for Coteaz to take advantage of. 

TheNick

TheNick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

I've experimented a little with Vanguard. He really needs something bigger to trigger off. Unfortunately, he only triggers army units to ready. So thinking of his as a slightly bigger, tougher, more expensive Coteaz Henchmen doesn't quite work, leaving his best combo to take a big 3 Attack, suck up an attack, get sac'd to Coteaz to power him up and re-ready a mortar. Not very efficient. If you had a deck that ramped up to some bigger guys or more buffs, or perhaps some good exhaust abilities (AOE, such as Cardinis, come to mind), he might be a bit better.

The Lasgun, on the other hand, is great. Quite a few times, it's not being just short on cards or resources that nets me the loss, but being a quarter of a turn behind. A game drags on and I see the assassination possibility, but I had to give up so many planets that the 1st planet is the win, not the remaining planet where I can get the assassination. When it comes down to straight fights, Coteaz eats his own men and this puts him a little behind.

Quite a few times, I wish I had the option to power up some of the little guys. One more resource to net an extra attack and toughness is just what the doctor ordered for the imperials.

A Ratling Sniper with 1/2/2 at 2 cost? Ideal.

A Saecellum Shrine Guard at 1/2/2 that's sometimes 1/3/3 for 2? That's personal cadre quality right there.

The real benefit is being able to throw the lasgun into a fight without having to worry about "losing the buff" when something dies. You can use a lasgun or two in the first turn, but still have something near the fifth turn to buff it later. You can even put it on something you plan to 'eat' with Coteaz and not worry about losing out on your card advantage. You might even be able to swing a Coteaz/Ammo Depot deck with all those 0 cost cards.

• Asklepios likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Torquemada Coteaz, Inquisitor, The Threat Beyond