Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Thousand Youngs

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

Jhaelen

Jhaelen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

The pattern of extra ST cards in the deluxe expansions and the quality of those cards makes it clear to me that there will be no ST deluxe box.

Interesting. The pattern of extra ST cards in the deluxe expansions makes it clear to me that there will have to be another ST deluxe box. B)

If they want to call the game complete with a roughly equal number of cards for each faction, they'll have to!

Carthoris

Carthoris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Yeah, I don't think it's too hard to address the potential "confusion" in a second Silver Twilight box. Just give it a different name. People may be stupid on the whole, but jeeze.

Obtuse

Obtuse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts
I hear shub box is at the printers now? If that's true release by Gencon sounds about right.

pleechu

pleechu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Some new awesomeness from the Dark Forests: https://www.fantasyf...urath-bestiary/

xlizxcte-oonth.png

• Carthoris and jasonconlon like this

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

This box is going to be a big step up for Mi-go themed decks!

Ancient Cthonian looks interesting too, but I think we probably need a couple more Cthonian characters before it becomes a thing.

• Carthoris and HomerJ like this

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts

I'm not a fan of seeing Mi-Go become a thing but will see how it plays out. 

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

It's a popular subtype though, I've seen a lot of people want to try out Mi-go decks over the years but they've always seemed to fall a bit short.  These two cards seem like they are likely to push them into viability, though I don't expect them to be dominant.

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts

yea I just have discussed before that personally I am not a fan of the "sliver" type in games. I just really hope they don't make them to good. The fact that the 5 cost guy although has a very great ability isn't an ancient one does make him vulnerable to a lot of things so that is good at least. I'm a big fan of Shub though tied as my second favorite faction and just don't want to see 60% of the cards be for a subtype that I will never play with. 

Carthoris

Carthoris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

I'm a big fan of Shub though tied as my second favorite faction and just don't want to see 60% of the cards be for a subtype that I will never play with. 

That doesn't sound likely, given the pitch of today's FFG news page. They are emphasizing diversity of subtype in Shub-Niggurath, as contrasted with other factions.

I'd like to see Cthonians become more viable. The new big guy is good, but they need somebody little too. They already had Shudde M'ell, after all. One more character card at cost 3 or less could push them over the top. Maybe there's one in the box, and they just didn't mention it?

• mnBroncos likes this

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

So far it just looks like 2 Mi-go related cards, which isn't that much.

• mnBroncos likes this

NuFenix

NuFenix

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

That doesn't sound likely, given the pitch of today's FFG news page. They are emphasizing diversity of subtype in Shub-Niggurath, as contrasted with other factions.

I'd like to see Cthonians become more viable. The new big guy is good, but they need somebody little too. They already had Shudde M'ell, after all. One more character card at cost 3 or less could push them over the top. Maybe there's one in the box, and they just didn't mention it?

Based on the following, it sounds as if there is only one Chthonian in the box:

Accordingly, though it adds but one Chthonian to the game, The Thousand Young makes this select group of characters even more formidable with the introduction of Ancient Chthonian (The Thousand Young, 21)

• Carthoris likes this

Carthoris

Carthoris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Based on the following, it sounds as if there is only one Chthonian in the box:

Eh, yeah. I expect Cthonians will stay pretty marginal until they get another character. Still, I'm looking forward to to updating my "Flipping Houses" deck (Syndicate real estate shenanigans with Cthonians). I do like the synergy between Shudde M'ell and Ancient Cthonian, with Ancient being a perfect product for Shocking Transformation!

NuFenix

NuFenix

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

Card images from latest spoiler:

baka.pngkeelut.pngsmoke-serpent.pngambushing-ghoul.png

rend.pngancient-chthonian.pngghoul-tunnels.pngmi-go-worker.png

• Carthoris and HomerJ like this

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts

ghoul tunnels, and Baka seem the most tier 1 cards out of the bunch. Seems like a lot of fun cards though non to powerful which is good for Shub. 

ssjevot

ssjevot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Really excited for the Mi-Go.  Both are great cards that can go in my favorite deck.  Really disappointed in Ancient Chthonian.  The article makes it sound like this will somehow get you support destruction when you need it, but it just puts cards on top of your deck that you won't be able to play until the next turn at the earliest and it costs 6.  In a faction with really great tutor and draw cards this seems pretty weak.

Mulletcheese

Mulletcheese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1047 posts
Smoke serpent is just nasty.
  • Carthoris likes this

Skelton

Skelton

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2082 posts

Loving the Mi-Go Worker and the Ambushing Ghoul. 

I'm really excited for this box to be honest. I love many of the Shub themes and this well help bring some of them up to date. 

jasonconlon

jasonconlon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
Who knew Pink Floyd were secretly cultists of Cthulhu!

Another Brick in the Wall (Part II)
We don't need no education [Miskatonic University]
We don't need no thought control [Yog-Sothoth]
No Dark Sargassum in the classroom [Shub Niggurath]
Teachers leave them kids alone.
  • HappyDD, Skelton and Cumber like this

Saint7x

Saint7x

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

ssjevot: I see what you mean but FFG is trying to make this Ancient Chthonian come out on Turn 1 with Ghouls Tunnels which lets you place, say, 3 Grasping Chthonians on top of your deck. True, maybe you won't be able to play one of those Grasping Chthonians until Turn 2 but think of the advantages....not only do you get rid of an opponent's Support, you also get a body into play. On top of that, you can rest somewhat safe knowing that you have the upper hand when it comes to getting rid of your opponent's Supports (at the beginning of the match) which in all likelihood puts a monkeywrench into that person's strategy.

What's lackluster about this whole setup is perhaps not the Ancient Chthonian card itself but the fact that there just aren't that many Chthonians to combo with in the first place. Will this strategy get used? Who knows.

Edit: I'm tired of writing the word 'Chthonian' so many times.

Carthoris

Carthoris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Hm. Keelut is almost that final Chthonian character I was wishing for! He's a para-Chthonian anyhow. And like I was saying before, Ancient Chthonian is such an excellent product for Shocking Transformation, the cheap "Chthonian" imago could be almost anyone! Screw Ghoul Tunnels, I want to keep the big worm. The rush/block element will come from the non-Chthonian part of my deck (Syndicate, for Flipping Houses).