Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Next Star Wars deluxe expansion

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

BobaFett

BobaFett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

The first two big expansions have been scoundrel/scum and jedi/scum. So scum clearly doesn't need another one. Sith has been strong from the beginning so we definitly need navy in the next one. I tend to agree that rebel/navy would be ideal, however, I'm expecting them to beat the pilot mechanic to death by the end of the current cycle which means lots of navy and rebel. Who knows if we'll still need more help for those factions by the next expansion or if they are
moving on from pilots at that point as well.

You realize there is only 5 sets for each affiliation in the entire cycle. So at best we get 5 pilot sets for navy and 5 for rebels, and we already know 1 rebel set is capital ships and 1 navy set is grand admiral thrawn.

So that leaves a grand total of 4 pilot sets each. That's not exactly beating the mechanic to death I would say. Now, granted, we're going to get some pilot sets in other affiliations but even then that's going to be few and far between in some cases, Jedi, for example, look to only get a single pilot set.
  • pantsyg likes this

pantsyg

pantsyg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

I think I'd be OK with the pilot mechanic being more prevalent in Navy and Rebel, to give them more of a solid niche. 

That and the concept of Jedi pilots just doesn't excite me from a setting perspective. 

• SeeThreebilbo likes this

tierdal

tierdal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2344 posts

Sith actually needs some love IMHO - it needs diversity... a tool kit.

when LOL VADERCHOKE + PALP was enough to beat core luke/han/twilek loyalists... that was one thing...but at this stage in the game Sith deserves a bit of evolution IMHO.

NAVY needs ALOT of work

Rebels I feel not so much...if it wasnt for LOLYODA/LOLJUBBAS/SPIDERS Rebels would be pretty dominant right now imho.

pantsyg

pantsyg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Rebels I feel not so much...if it wasnt for LOLYODA/LOLJUBBAS/SPIDERS Rebels would be pretty dominant right now imho.

I don't get this...Jubbas and Spiders do a lot of work for my more successful Rebel decks right now. I don't think Rebels kick ass on their own yet, though full disclosure, I haven't tried the new Rogue Squadron set yet. 

chunkygorillas

chunkygorillas

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts

I don't get this...Jubbas and Spiders do a lot of work for my more successful Rebel decks right now. I don't think Rebels kick ass on their own yet, though full disclosure, I haven't tried the new Rogue Squadron set yet. 

The new set is a good step in the right direction but rebels do still need more help to stand on the own against Sith/Scum; though so far my mono rebel fighter deck has been destroying tie fighters :)

BobaFett

BobaFett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

The new set is a good step in the right direction but rebels do still need more help to stand on the own against Sith/Scum; though so far my mono rebel fighter deck has been destroying tie fighters :)

Yeah, the new rebel set (I assume your using it), is so good. Rebels needed that set.

life

life

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Darth maul and mace windu would be cool.  

• Mattropolis likes this

TheEmpireBringsSexyBack

TheEmpireBringsSexyBack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

based on history, the next deluxe will be rebel/scum. bet on it

• America, Fnnrqwin, TheEmpireBringsSexyBack and 1 other like this

gmac

gmac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

I'd love to see some stuff from The Force Unleashed at some stage.

someguy11

someguy11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts
We have a force lightning promo with him on it.
  • BobaFett likes this

Scottie

Scottie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1968 posts

You realize there is only 5 sets for each affiliation in the entire cycle. So at best we get 5 pilot sets for navy and 5 for rebels, and we already know 1 rebel set is capital ships and 1 navy set is grand admiral thrawn.

So that leaves a grand total of 4 pilot sets each. That's not exactly beating the mechanic to death I would say. Now, granted, we're going to get some pilot sets in other affiliations but even then that's going to be few and far between in some cases, Jedi, for example, look to only get a single pilot set.

The Rebel set being Capital Ships does not preclude a pilot being in the set.

Caal

Caal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Why not? An Admiral Pilot card with effect that apply only when he is piloting Capital Ship would be great. We already know Independance is in the set, but we don't know if there is a Pilot in the pod

BobaFett

BobaFett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

The Rebel set being Capital Ships does not preclude a pilot being in the set.

correct, i'm making an assumption as there could be a pilot in that set, but regardless, that would still only makes 4 sets utilizing the pilot mechanic, and i don't consider that being "done to death".  Which is why i could see the next deluxe fleshing it out a bit more.

Wrath87

Wrath87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts
Pretty sure I read somewhere that the 5th or 6th pack has 2 rebel pilots in its set. Seems like all the rebel pilots may be unique which isn't the case with what we've seen for the tie stuff coming/that's already out. They seem to have a mix.

While I agree navy need a boost I can see them doing a rebel sith or rebel navy expansion next. As long as it isn't yellow or green I'll be happy.

SeeThreebilbo

SeeThreebilbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1819 posts

Whenever they do a deluxe for Smugglers, I wish they would give them more of a mechanical niche. Right now they just seem to be a bunch of randomly broken cards that do crazy things.

Caal

Caal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Last Rebel pack as Wes Janson and Tycho Celchu, who both served as Rogue Squadron

BobaFett

BobaFett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3037 posts
We're still missing a lot of iconic pilots though. Biggs, porkins, dutch, garven, pops, and how about Nien Numb? And that's just a small list.
  • pantsyg likes this

someguy11

someguy11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts
Maybe it can have more pilots for all factions. Id love to see more huntets and their ships.

yankeefan1355

yankeefan1355

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1225 posts

Honestly, I think that after this cycle the game has run it's course.  What else is there left that hasn't been introduced?  I don't want any Prequeal cards.  I maybe, could see something around new movie but that doesn't come out until December so what's really left?  There's already 3x Lukes, 3x Yoda, 2x Leia, 2x Vader.  You get to the point where you're just reprinting old cards with new abilities. 

I mean, what, where going to have 5 different Lukes or Yodas or Vaders 2x years from now?  There are only so many ships and characters that you can make cards out of before the pool runs dry. 

Maybe a Han Solo with the "broken ankle" trait?

pantsyg

pantsyg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Pilot Chewie plz.

I'd love to see more of the Bounty Hunters and their ships. Right now, most of the Scum cards we know about in this cycle (outside Boba and Slave I) aren't pilots, which leaves lots of material open.

I'd also love to see more of the secondary characters explored. While it's nice to have the big guys, there's a huge pile of characters and settings in the Star Wars universe that I'd like to see in cards. I guess some would argue you always need Luke, Vader, Yoda etc because people want to play with the iconic dudes, but as a long-time player I'm honestly a little tired of always seeing the same characters on board. Secondary characters with strong abilities in good sets would be awesome. 

I think Rogue Squad was a smart move, as it allows them to focus on iconic ships as well as characters, and there's huge depth there. I can imagine sets that don't feature a unique character, but 2-3 ships with neat abilities or some generic pilots. I want more of the various Rebel Squadrons with some abilities that reflect their combat niches--Green Squadron with sacrifice effects or daring A-wing pilots, for example. I'd love to see Capital Ships from both sides make more of an appearance, especially another playable Super Star Destroyer :)

And of course, the fleet commanders have been largely overlooked. Ackbar or Needa as Pilots for Capital Ships only would be so fun. 

TLDR I think there's lots of room for further expansion, if they're willing to step away from the 5-6 main characters of Star Wars. 

• medfreeman and SeeThreebilbo like this