Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Concerns with lack of interest

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
228 replies to this topic

TheEmpireBringsSexyBack

TheEmpireBringsSexyBack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

@wraith87's comment that you should promote the game for yourself, not for ffg.  (quote doesn't work for me on this site, otherwise I'd quote your post)

that's all well and good, but it leads to situations where communities live and die based on one superstar TD.  he or she puts a ton of effort into growing and promoting the game, and the game grows (not always of course).  but then that TD gets tired of doing ffg's job for free and takes a month or two off, and the game dies.  and when that person later wants to get back into the game, their community died without them, and the TD is starting back at square one, and probably will have a much harder time getting things going the second time around.

if ffg supported those superstar TDs (with say free force packs), it helps prevent that burnout.  also, if that TD wants to step back or take some time off, it makes it more likely that there'll be a new person willing to step up and take over running the community (since the job is no longer thankless).

• America and TheEmpireBringsSexyBack like this

pantsyg

pantsyg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

I agree Skelton. It is getting better but so few games are neck and neck the whole way through and there isn't really a comeback swing you can have in star wars with either side coming out of nowhere for the win or like netrunner with the runner hitting just the right agendas on the last turn or the corp flat-lining the runner when they're on 6 points.

This has been my experience with Conquest as well. I find the game fun, as I was a 40K tabletop player for a long, long time, and I feel that the cards capture the setting well, but I see just as many low-quality cards in that game as I do in SWLCG. Basically any unit over cost 6 is unplayable given the Command system, which is a shame because there are lots of iconic units at those price points, and many of the cheaper units fall by the wayside because they're not efficient enough in Command. I personally like the swingy nature of SW, precisely because a comeback is possible from all but the most dire situations--and even some of those can be turned around. 

I'm also not a fan of having to buy 3x Core to have all the cards, but boo-hoo, right?

Majestaat

Majestaat

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1913 posts
We were to have 2 SC in Santiago, Chile. It's come down to zero now, as there are no players left. We will be holding a SW day on April the 11th though. Hopefully, we'll be able to hook some people into the LCG. If it doesn't go well, I think it would be fair to say the game is officially dead here.

CharlieFilms

CharlieFilms

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

I've seen nothing but an increase in my area. My friend and I picked the game up last May/June and since then we started a group at our local shop and we now have 9 regulars. It just takes time and the willingness to sit at the store to play and talk to the people that come by to check out what you're playing.

KennedyHawk

KennedyHawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1890 posts

I actually have noticed a increase in interest from last year particularly an increase in excitement for the current set as opposed to the last one. Perhaps that is due to the new keyword or simply Echoes coming at an absolute low.

I completely agree that FFG is behind the times in thier promotion, of not just this, but all of the games. Even thier flagship X-wing or Netrunner. There is no incentive from FFG to be that person organizing and running things. At best you get a playmate if you run an SC? Great...

There is especially no incentive to sit out and run a Regional. The result? Regionals with a lower TO standard then the SC.

Agree on all three points. We had higher store championship attendance at all of the SC I attended, we have roughly the same or 1-2 more local weekly players. Everything is on an upswing for us. The only thing that isn't is free time. Especially with FFG putting out 4 Star Wars games (LCG, X-Wing, Armada, Imperial Assault).

Mattropolis

Mattropolis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 672 posts

I've seen a bit of both near our area. Travels to Pittsburgh and West Virginia showed that those groups have all but died off. But in Erie we've had 3 new players start buying their own cards in the last month or so.

I like the flyer idea and have also been trying ways to find Magic players that maybe like Star Wars stuff and get them to try the LCG. But it's kind of difficult when the only real night I know that demographic will be around is Friday night for FNM, and then they are busy with that. And like America said, free time is a bit harder to come by for myself as well nowadays.

holliday88

holliday88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
I agree with all the points America brought up.

Another factor, at least at our store, is the amount of Star Wars products themselves. We have XWing, IA, now Armada. The LCG is lower on the priority than the other games.

pantsyg

pantsyg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

It just takes time and the willingness to sit at the store to play and talk to the people that come by to check out what you're playing.

This is definitely a key factor. I play in my FLGS on Saturdays, and I've had a good number of people walk up and ask to watch when they see the game. I try to slow down and explain the basic mechanics and what's going on if my opponent is cool. 

I'm hoping that Rogue Squadron will garner interest from the X-Wing playerbase, or at least convince some of the miniatures people to take a look at the game.

• CharlieFilms likes this

CharlieFilms

CharlieFilms

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

This is definitely a key factor. I play in my FLGS on Saturdays, and I've had a good number of people walk up and ask to watch when they see the game. I try to slow down and explain the basic mechanics and what's going on if my opponent is cool. 

I'm hoping that Rogue Squadron will garner interest from the X-Wing playerbase, or at least convince some of the miniatures people to take a look at the game.

Two of the people in our group have migrated over from X-Wing, though one still occasionally plays. I agree though. Imperial Assault is also starting to pick up at our store, so hopefully we can get some people to play both. 

tierdal

tierdal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2344 posts

I would say that FFG's content marketing team could be doing ALOT more. They got lucky with NetRunner but even that has been dwindling.

Star Wars LCG is not just a good star wars game - its a great COMPETITIVE CARD GAME. Probably one of the best systems ever. It removes so many problems from Magic/NetRunner and other CCGs.

They probably don't have a huge marketing budget and remember LCGs arn't NEARLY as profitable as CCGs. 

I think they are doing their best and the community really needs to drive active recruitment - its just hard when you have a day job + family + other commitments. 

Despite all that I have seen an uptick in overall players. The North East Meta has never been more connected (Especially New york and North/South Jersey)

I hope the movies help drive interest but SW Licensed products have a huge stigma behind them and overcoming that is half the problem.

And lets not forget... card games are a niche part of an already niche hobby - boardgaming.

• Wrath87 and TheNameWasTaken like this

romo

romo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Hopefully the Judge program will be done well.  The game would certainly benefit from quality volunteers who were actually rewarded for their time and efforts trying to grow the community.  

I haven't really seen much change in the player base since inception of this game in 2013, and I have been part of communities in three somewhat large cities since that time (Toledo, Columbus, Grand Rapids).  All three of those places had a couple regular players, several more who just bought the cards, and not much in the way of a tournament scene.  I also play Netrunner, and there is really no comparison.  Those same cities had (and still have) thriving, growing metas with regular organized play and an influx of new players.  

I was hit with a lot of conflicting obligations this SC season, and only attended one Star Wars event, compared to four last year.  Big life changes, competing ANR events, and non-gaming interests all conflict for my time.

stevepop

stevepop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

I would say that FFG's content marketing team could be doing ALOT more. They got lucky with NetRunner but even that has been dwindling.

Where? Netrunner's more popular than ever here and I'm pretty sure attendance has gone up every year at Gen Con and worlds.

Around here the game still occupies the same small niche it always has. I'm okay with that. I'm less okay with the balance issues, but haven't quit. I actually took a break from Netrunner because of balance issues and how annoying the psi game is.

yankeefan1355

yankeefan1355

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1225 posts

Um, the thread is called,"Concerns with lack of interest."  One of the reasons that there's a lack of interest is the objective system concept.  Just saying, and that isn't "derailing the thread," since the subject is why this game is not generating a lot of interest so it's a valid objservation and point.  That and a lot of players are migrating to Armada now.

IMO, there are so many SW themed games, X-Wing, Armada, Imperaial Assault, SWLCG and only so much money and time that players can spend that they're chosing other games over SWLCG which like it or not has been plagued with problems for quite a while.  I mean it got to the point where the community had to send a letter to FFG.

Netrunner is very well balanced as is Conquest and release more consistant product and has a larger player base.

Caal

Caal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Didn't read all posts but seems to me forum activity is at its maximum right now. That doesn't sound like lack of interest to me.
  • Mattropolis likes this

BaraBob

BaraBob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

The interest for the game is definitely increasing in our local area. Coming from a low level of interest across Scotland as a whole over the last year, but there now seems to be players coming out of the woodwork in various places. Store Championship had excellent (well, 11 players at least) joining in.

The pod system definitely turns some players away. Not sure I'd agree that it is a deciding factor in not making the game more popular though. Best way of encouraging play is to play at the local store/pub/venue and other players will often gravitate to games they see played. 

tierdal

tierdal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2344 posts

The pod system just needs to be explained properly...people see it as a limitation but it actually opens up a TON of the play space...creates even more difficult decisions... will eventually create deck diversity the likes of which has never been seen in a card game.

And on top of all that ... it is easier for new players.

This game needs advertising and influencers - id run their marketing campaign for free if they wanted... it wouldn't take much to light a fire.

• chunkygorillas likes this

yankeefan1355

yankeefan1355

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1225 posts

No offense, however, IMO it limits play space.  I don't know about everyone elses expierances but I usually see a lot of the same objectives in both LS and DS decks.  There may be a few different objective sets splashed into a deck but typically you're going to see a very similar core deck build.

For example, if you see a Sith deck, you pretty much can be assured that Vader, Palpy, and Sariss will be included.  Probably Councel as well.  Now their may be some variations like Executor, Mara Jade, Call of the Cult, etc but Vader and Palpy will always be in the deck.

Speeders decks are kind of the same way.  You're going to see APD, Hoth Ops, and Hoth Gambit as a core deck build.

If you see a Jedi deck you can bet that Yoda and Luke will definetly be included.

Fnnrqwin

Fnnrqwin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Despite the dominance of Sith and Jedi archetypes, I've never seen a game with decks as truly different from each other as Star Wars. Without objective sets you'd just end up with obvious staples thrown into a deck (like Thrones' streets and seas situation, or Magic's mana) and then as many high edge-count black tactics units as possible. It would absolutely limit deck diversity and ruin a great game.
  • Wrath87, chunkygorillas, Mattropolis and 2 others like this

CharlieFilms

CharlieFilms

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Despite the dominance of Sith and Jedi archetypes, I've never seen a game with decks as truly different from each other as Star Wars. Without objective sets you'd just end up with obvious staples thrown into a deck (like Thrones' streets and seas situation, or Magic's mana) and then as many high edge-count black tactics units as possible. It would absolutely limit deck diversity and ruin a great game.

This. 

It forces you to think outside the box and find new ways to use cards that you may not typically run.

tierdal

tierdal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2344 posts

No offense, however, IMO it limits play space.  I don't know about everyone elses expierances but I usually see a lot of the same objectives in both LS and DS decks.  There may be a few different objective sets splashed into a deck but typically you're going to see a very similar core deck build.

For example, if you see a Sith deck, you pretty much can be assured that Vader, Palpy, and Sariss will be included.  Probably Councel as well.  Now their may be some variations like Executor, Mara Jade, Call of the Cult, etc but Vader and Palpy will always be in the deck.

Speeders decks are kind of the same way.  You're going to see APD, Hoth Ops, and Hoth Gambit as a core deck build.

If you see a Jedi deck you can bet that Yoda and Luke will definetly be included.

The problem is you are seeing this from a limited deck pool.

Of course there will be go-to pod combinations...just like there are go to card combinations. I would argue that 1 pod change in SW creates much more difference in a deck than a few card changes in NetRunner. Running 1 set of resource generators vs another in netrunner is not an interesting choice...but choosing between Vader and Sariss IS an interesting choice.

You have to remember that our card pool by comparison is SMALL. I am not talking about even total cards...im talking about a POD vs a card. I would say FFG messed up designing sub par pods for sure... but once we have a ton of GOOD pods the choices become much harder because you cant just take all new lukes cool new cards but use old luke ...they come as a package. This creates HARD choices vs just OBVIOUS choices (Welp this 1 cost 5 resource card is STRICTLY better than this 1 cost 4 resource card in netrunner). ITs a trade off with opportunity cost not seen in any other Card Game. 

Its something special that I dont think has been sold the right way and that people dont always seen the potential too.

This. 

It forces you to think outside the box and find new ways to use cards that you may not typically run.

EXACTLY! Who would ever use a Twilek Loyalist? EVER? Its horrid. And yet it has won me more games then I can count, because i learned how to use it effectively. I was forced to play with something subpar and that adds strategic depth.

• scwont and CharlieFilms like this