Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Fighters,Fighters,Fighters..Whats working/What isn't

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
206 replies to this topic

tierdal

tierdal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2344 posts

So now that we have some really GREAT fighter pods - wanted to start a discussion about what people think across the factions.

SMUGGLERS

My own thoughts are that the Smug sets seem very "Bleh" to me. I do love the ability to dodge in and out of fights with outrider - but sadly he has no tactics icon. However, I do see some great ideas that let you poke with a white tactics but also go in with outrider for even more preasure - thus allowing you to tactics their defender AND do some damage AND then leave and attack something else...or if you lose edge just escape and attack something else. Tactics on the other side make this more difficult  - but i definitely see the inkling of a deck here.However besides Falcon I am finding it hard to get this pod into a functioning deck that is on the same level as Jedi.

REBEL:

Not a fan of Jubba/Rebel cheese...as if I am going to do that I could just do Jubba/Jedi Cheese. I really want to make a competitive Rebel mono deck and i think desperation REALLY opens up some oportunities for Rebels. Try to push through some early damage and try to win before 8... while also keeping your units w/ enhancements alive..and then once the dial hits 8 destroy your opponents board and crush them. I think this deck kind of speaks for itself with Home 1, Red 2, 2 new sets, rogue 3 - debating if luke is worth it. Right now I am running 11 (forget what my 1 of is at the moment...but i am curious to see this set in action. It has resources, some decent tricks (Rebel assaults) and devestating blast. And a nice boardwipe to close out a game. The downside I see is lack of tactics and lack of edge power.

SITH/NAVY TIES -

This is where I run into a bit of a snag. There are ALOT of good tie pods now and its hard to choose between them, Right now I am somewhere along the lines of 1 vader/2x new sith squadron - and then the new navy pod with this set + old favorites like defense protocol and repair and refurbish for just a great defensive unit and nice resources. Still trying to find the perfect mix here and what synergizes well. But I still see some of the same issues that have always plagued ties in my book...it hard to hold onto board superiority/do early damage if your opponent plays defensively. You dont have alot of good ways to deal with 3HP+ units doing crazy blast damage and it becomes hard to field the units you need to blow up 3 obj in 1 turn with all the rebel shenanigans. I am most curious what people are doing here.

SCUM -

Sad face :(

brimmstorm

brimmstorm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 899 posts
Scum has the best fighters, Black Sun Headhunters are better than most "common" fighters you'll find in the other factions.

I still don't like fighter decks, low health, few shields, to many edge enabled icons. I think once Vader comes out it will be better. I do like Steele though but mostly since his ship has shielding, and his pilot ability works on any vehicle.

I do like the Rebel sets and will include them with Home1, Defense of Yavin, and Jubba Birds and try that out. I like splashing the birds with ships to help deal with tactic icons but don't like putting mtfbwy.

I'm eh on the Smuggler ships. I'm waiting for Han and the Falcon.

pantsyg

pantsyg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

I'm excited for the Smuggler set. I don't think Outrider needs to make crazy combo plays to be useful. While it's on the table the opponent is forced to block every engagement, or risk having it join into an unopposed engagement for a kill. It can also be used as a pseudo-tactics a la Mauler Mithel, to draw a defender then leave the engagement. I can also see combos with Sleuths or Blockade Runners (enter the fight after the Sleuth/Blockade sneaks in) to dodge the big tactics defenders.

KennedyHawk

KennedyHawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1890 posts

Wait Sad face for Scum fighters????

You should try running

-2x Xizor

-2x The Best Credits Can Buy

-2x Fel

-2x Kuat

-1x Defense Protocol

-1x Motti

It's an awesome build those headhunters pack a punch and you have tons of high count cards to use in edge. Motti is mainly in there for resource purposes but you could easily just take a second Defense Protocol. Also don't forget that The Best Credits Can Buy just decimates a lot of the rebel fighters.

I'm excited for the Smuggler set. I don't think Outrider needs to make crazy combo plays to be useful. While it's on the table the opponent is forced to block every engagement, or risk having it join into an unopposed engagement for a kill. It can also be used as a pseudo-tactics a la Mauler Mithel, to draw a defender then leave the engagement. I can also see combos with Sleuths or Blockade Runners (enter the fight after the Sleuth/Blockade sneaks in) to dodge the big tactics defenders.

People need to stop leaving the outrider unpiloted turn 1. It's just not a good play. I've played against outrider decks 3 times now in each game he ended up on my side of the board with Niles.

• monks, tierdal, yodaman and 3 others like this

SeeThreebilbo

SeeThreebilbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1819 posts

I like the Virago set and wonder what it would combo well with. New Fett is coming, too. Scum might not be especially vehicle heavy, but what they do have seems interesting.

darthbs

darthbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1063 posts

People need to stop leaving the outrider unpiloted turn 1. It's just not a good play. I've played against outrider decks 3 times now in each game he ended up on my side of the board with Niles.

Yeah Kennedy who would do that.......

That's my biggest struggle right now having ships and pilots at the same time in hand or discard.

Begs the question when your limited on what you can play first turn because of a bad draw etc. is it worth the risk playing anything? Or are we at a stage where any loss of pace is just too far to come back from?

KennedyHawk

KennedyHawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1890 posts

Yeah Kennedy who would do that.......

That's my biggest struggle right now having ships and pilots at the same time in hand or discard.

Begs the question when your limited on what you can play first turn because of a bad draw etc. is it worth the risk playing anything? Or are we at a stage where any loss of pace is just too far to come back from?

Nah our game was just bad draws its the other three games where people had pilots that they edged that I'm counting ;)

yodaman

yodaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2741 posts

So Kennedyhawk, what else have you been trying when you use Niles? 

AllTheSithDudes

AllTheSithDudes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

REBEL:

Not a fan of Jubba/Rebel cheese...as if I am going to do that I could just do Jubba/Jedi Cheese. I really want to make a competitive Rebel mono deck and i think desperation REALLY opens up some oportunities for Rebels. Try to push through some early damage and try to win before 8... while also keeping your units w/ enhancements alive..and then once the dial hits 8 destroy your opponents board and crush them. I think this deck kind of speaks for itself with Home 1, Red 2, 2 new sets, rogue 3 - debating if luke is worth it. Right now I am running 11 (forget what my 1 of is at the moment...but i am curious to see this set in action. It has resources, some decent tricks (Rebel assaults) and devestating blast. And a nice boardwipe to close out a game. The downside I see is lack of tactics and lack of edge power.

I'm not pairing Jubbas with my Rebels either, thats like adjusting deckbuilding to easy mode.  It might not be the best but I'll feel a bit more proud of myself if I come up with a comparable deck without them.

As far as edge goes don't be afraid to include pilot Luke.  Not only his objective but also those edge cards can be huge.  Battle of Hoth is a quick 3 edge icons.  Also don't forget Paige, his pod is great for increasing your overall edge count by recurring fate cards.

BobaFett

BobaFett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3037 posts
Really, that's why I haven't been able to get away from speeders and move to all fighters. The hoth speeder sets (heroes resolve, hoth ops, and APD) are all extremely high in edge count at 10, 9, and 9. Those are "Jedi" high! And couple that with heroes resolve and hoth ops objectives, and you rarely lose edge battle, even when the opponent has twists and you don't.

I'm really hoping the final rebel set with tychu celu and Wes Jansen is a really nice support set that can slot into speeders or fighters equally well. Then again, I can't wait to see the keyan farlander Jedi pilot set too....

tunewalker

tunewalker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Its kind of unfortunate that if I want my favorite fighter pilot in Star Wars I have to pick up a Speeder pod... (Wedge Antilles) 

BobaFett

BobaFett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3037 posts
Don't get me wrong, I love hoth ops, but I wish the survival gear was a vehicle enhancement, like tow cable, or something thematic. It would be another enhancement for rogue 3 and could do something to enemy vehicles or whatever.

I'll tell you what though, attack pattern delta's stock could go way up after this cycle because snow speeder launch bay is pretty boss against DS vehicles.

Mike1977

Mike1977

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 843 posts

I have not been having much success with DS Fighters, be it mono IN, or IN/Sith. I have not played around at all with S&V Fighters. 

I think its really hard for DS Fighter to win when both sides are rushing. Due to the need to destroy 4 objectives, while LS only needs 3.

Turn 1 DS: Dial at 1 --> needs to destroy 4 objectives

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Turn 2 DS with the force: Dial at 3 --> needs to destroy 4 objectives

Turn 3 DS with the force: Dial at 5 --> needs to destroy 4 objectives

Turn 4 DS with the force: Dial at 7 --> needs to destroy 3 objectives

And lets say you don't have the force for 2 of those turns, turn 4 will still require 4 objectives.

tierdal

tierdal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2344 posts
Ya. Da rush decks never made any sense to me...especially now with Rogue 3, luke, crow takING 1 to 2 obj a turn. ..then add in size matters not and it becomes ridiculous

BobaFett

BobaFett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3037 posts
I agree, unless you're playing an extremely slow LS deck, racing is generally a losing strategy. For DS to be able to complete, thru almost need something that allows them to get extra ticks from destroying objectives. Similar to devastator or his chud in the set, but maybe on an enhancement.

There is still 2 more navy fighter/pilot sets to go, Vader's being one of them, so maybe we'll get some answers from them.

SeeThreebilbo

SeeThreebilbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1819 posts

Even the tempo of the game seems to argue against rushing as DS. You can't attack during your first turn and almost always have to use those first units you play on defense.

And it's not like taking down defenseless people isn't a Navy thing, anyway. Huh.

tunewalker

tunewalker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

The Death And Despayre set if you can get the right guys out and have the open Resources (which Gaurding the wing does do a decent job of helping with), but ya You are pretty much required to have Death and Despayre for a rush deck, though that should give interesting idea's on how to help Dark Side get a rush deck. It would need maybe 1 more set that allowed for something Similar... or would it. Maybe just Death and Despayre is all that is needed to make it work... maybe not, dont know havent tried it.

darthbs

darthbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1063 posts
I'm thinking will recon mission be required just to try and give you extra cards to improve chaining? Also help in edge.
  • hundreds likes this

brimmstorm

brimmstorm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 899 posts
I stole a Hyperspace Marauder with Niles today. Won the force and brought back Crumb to clear a defender. That was my first time playing him and he's for sure worth a slot in a scum deck.
  • doctormungmung, yodaman, Jarratt and 3 others like this

AllTheSithDudes

AllTheSithDudes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

I stole a Hyperspace Marauder with Niles today. Won the force and brought back Crumb to clear a defender. That was my first time playing him and he's for sure worth a slot in a scum deck.

The more I look at the Niles pod the more I think it might be the best pod released so far.