Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Is this game dying?

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

TimeZero

TimeZero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

As the title says. I am currently seeing some signs I don't really like. I've seen other card games dying over the years and they all have in common the same sign: complete silence from the company about upcoming products because let's face it, Descendants of Isha is officially released, The Great Devourer is still "in development" and we have no new previews (which is way overdue for The Great Devourer) and no fresh news about upcoming warpacks.

Take Lord of the Rings or Star Wars LCG for exemple. They both have plenty of announcements and previews of what's coming next. For Conquest? A big nothing.

I don't want to be the Doomsayer, but there are signs that don't lie so far.

What are your thoughts?

Kingsley

Kingsley

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1008 posts

POPULAR

Surely you're joking?

• Koz, kizerman86, sammann11 and 10 others like this

taider54

taider54

Advanced Member

• Podcast
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Dead like FFG has stopped making new cards? The answer to that is no the game is not dead.

• MotoBuzzsawMF likes this

alpha5099

alpha5099

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

This seems a bit premature. I am also a bit concerned that we haven't heard more about The Great Devourer or an announcement for the next cycle. But that hardly means the writing is on the wall.

Having played most of FFG's card games (primarily AGOT, SW, and now Conquest, dabbled in Netrunner and LotR) for the last four or five years, I can say delays shouldn't be too surprising. They're a great company, but they have a history of being slow.

• MotoBuzzsawMF likes this

taijibear

taijibear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

I think FFG bungled the release a bit.  

The only real release events were at Gencon, without support for retailers to run exciting events to really launch the game with some special tournament.  Add to that the game being delayed several times, and the deadlines for various tournament kits being before the game came out resulted in the game being available, but not really supported for quite a stretch.

However now Regionals and Nationals are rolling.  Initial reports from the Land of Eng speak of tournaments with over 30 players, which seems *very* healthy for the first tournament season.  A full cycle has rolled out successfully, and the first big box is already planned out and previewed.  The only announced National Championship is fully booked out, and has a first prize of an all expenses paid trip to FFG Central to compete at Worlds.

I think overall the game has recovered from a slow start very well, and is handily picking up steam.  Balance is fantastic at the moment, and more players are learning to be better, to where soon the skill tree will be less of a pointed pyramid with just Kingsley and the one guy who beats him on top.  The spring kits have shown creative approach to alt arts and even playmats with a fine art-style frame, distinct from the other LCGs, showing dedicated creativity pouring into Konquest, and a promise of much to come.

As far as not being flooded by spoilers, I think that is a deliberate choice, especially seeing as FFG have been criticized (at least by the Netrunner community) for sometimes spoiling too much, to where the meta is stuck holding it's breath, waiting for key cards to come out, without letting people truly experiment with each warpack in turn.

Based on the above information and my growing personal enjoyment of the game, I am of the opinion that it is in a great place right now, and if you, to quote the great philosopher Dr. Jimmy Cliff, look straight ahead, there's nothing but blue skies. 

• BayushiSezaru likes this

Kingsley

Kingsley

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1008 posts

This seems a bit premature. I am also a bit concerned that we haven't heard more about The Great Devourer or an announcement for the next cycle. But that hardly means the writing is on the wall.

Having played most of FFG's card games (primarily AGOT, SW, and now Conquest, dabbled in Netrunner and LotR) for the last four or five years, I can say delays shouldn't be too surprising. They're a great company, but they have a history of being slow.

Yeah, I remember when people were claiming Netrunner was dying and that FFG had sabotaged the game because of all the delays with that game's first cycle. This too shall pass.

• sammann11 and taider54 like this

Killax

Killax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2108 posts
I think FFG could use a better form of marketing sometimes but apart from that the game is not dead.
  • taider54 likes this

TimeZero

TimeZero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

I played WoW TCG from day 1 until the game died and people had the exact same reaction when I pointed out we had no new information about upcoming products after the set Reign of Fire. I was called names, crazy, doomsayer, hater, i was told to GTFO, etc....

WoW TCG had growing numbers for attendance, but it still died.

The sign is exactly the same and this game has the same problem as a lot of other games: they all run on a license.

You can call me whatever you want, but I would have told you.

I would the first to be happy to be wrong on that one though.

someguy11

someguy11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts
FFG just announced new products based on wh 40k so we should be ok.

WarFather

WarFather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 686 posts

The game is only growing in my area, Twin Cities MN.

Leventa

Leventa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

I played WoW TCG from day 1 until the game died and people had the exact same reaction when I pointed out we had no new information about upcoming products after the set Reign of Fire. I was called names, crazy, doomsayer, hater, i was told to GTFO, etc....

WoW TCG had growing numbers for attendance, but it still died.

The sign is exactly the same and this game has the same problem as a lot of other games: they all run on a license.

You can call me whatever you want, but I would have told you.

I would the first to be happy to be wrong on that one though.

Firstly, nobody called you anything. All you're getting in return are reasonable responses. We just received the last Warpack in this cycle and now we have the first deluxe box to look forward to. They'll almost certainly do a preview for that before it drops. Then they will do an announcement for the next cycle and spoil a few cards, maybe a warlord or two. Then they'll do individual spoilers for each pack as they come down the line. 

FFG always has a habit of announcing products and going pretty silent on them for some time. 

TimeZero

TimeZero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

If you read my post, you would have seen it was for WoW TCG i was called everything, not Conquest.

Whingewood

Whingewood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Seems fine so far.  If anything, Conquest communities should experience a significant boom in attendance once the Tyranids are released (I cannot count how many people have said to me that they will start playing once the 'nids are out).

• sammann11, Cimadon and Killax like this

Killax

Killax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2108 posts

TimeZero, I can assure you that the game will at least have a 5 year long lifespan.

Apart from that the main reason why Wowtcg got the shaft is because of Heartstone (even if that isn't confirmed, be sure Blizzard has no interest in 'real board/cardgames' anymore because this isn't where their Core buyers are.

Games Workshop on the other hand embraces the boardgame and cardgame community. So unless GW suddenly decides that they can do a better job at FFG in making a cardgame (which they can't) the license will continue to run and the game will continue to excist.

Now eventually, after a 5th-6th cycle perhaps the game will cease to exist but we arn't anywhere near that step yet. 

• Whingewood likes this

TimeZero

TimeZero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

We all know Hearthstone is the primary reason WoW TCG got shafted. It's the same game dumbed down basically.

For Conquest, i really hope you're right.

Kingsley

Kingsley

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1008 posts

Seems fine so far.  If anything, Conquest communities should experience a significant boom in attendance once the Tyranids are released (I cannot count how many people have said to me that they will start playing once the 'nids are out).

Yeah, I expect The Great Devourer to cause a big influx of players. Right now Conquest is popular but less so than Netrunner (though apparently it's doing better than Netrunner was at this stage in Netrunner's life?), and I'm hoping The Great Devourer pushes it over the top into #1 LCG status.

• Elmios and Lightbright like this

Leventa

Leventa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Whats really nice is that for those people they can simply buy one Conquest core set for like $30 and then one Tyranid box for $30, and they are good to go. They'll have 3 copies of each Tyranid card and can build competitive decks right away. 

Killax

Killax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2108 posts

We all know Hearthstone is the primary reason WoW TCG got shafted. It's the same game dumbed down basically.

For Conquest, i really hope you're right.

Well the way GW has develloped they own Core game, that is Warhammer 40.000, they are aware that games like FFG is making often inspires people to look back at armies or potentially "lure in" newer players. The biggest advantage for both compagnies here is that there is some significant overlap in their general public, being boardgamers and cardgamers.

To add to that I also think this is one of the reasons why GW decided not to further invest heavily into PC games. Games like Warhammer Total War and Mordheim all are upcomming and they do have some licenses with Sega but they will not go much deeper into this themselves (which 'for example' could be done if you buy a Warhammer unit box which will 'for example' provide a code so you can use the unit aswell on the PC game).

Now there are many ways a product can be marketed but results from the past have shown us that there shouldnt be a huge dissconect between player groups. Generally speaking "wargamers" do play PC games aswell but the wargamer who invests heavily into his armies is more often found in a boardgame store and likely more intrested in a cardgame like Conquest.

Last but not least my own example would be our player group who all consists of ex-Warhammer players. Some have allready mentioned perhaps getting a unit or two again for the fun of it. Others I know have also invested into a new army.

- Dawn of War series on the other hand never really inspired my friends to go and play the awesome Blood Ravens.

Killax

Killax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2108 posts

Id also like to point out that it is a shame Wowtcg got the shaft, it was at least on-par with MtG (if not better in it's core design, being a free mulligan and every card being able to act as a resource aswell).

I also have to say that I really think that Deathwish Warrior with the Equipment Swiss Knife build is my most favourite Wowtcg ever. I've even added some rancid Queen's Blade sleeves to that deck to make it too sexy.

However this really hasn't much to do with Conquest and it's possible end.

The game will eventually end but not now or this year or after Nids are out.

GKZhukov

GKZhukov

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1055 posts

It hasn't been *that* long since the last "news" and there's usually a larger time gap for Deluxe's anyway. FFGs news releases can get haphazard at times depending on what else is going on.

Seems a tad premature.

Of course there can be local areas it is dying in (or simply never took off in) - it's a struggle over here to get much going, but I live in hope.

• sammann11 likes this