Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Is this game dying?

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

Etaywah

Etaywah

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1046 posts

Coolstuff games sold out of their 70 copies of "Decendants of Isha" in less than 4 hours.

/Thread?

• taider54, VonWibble, CommissarFeesh and 4 others like this

Liyan

Liyan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
Made me remember WOWTCG again. Pleaserino no hurting my heart.

HoopJones

HoopJones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Compared to Star Wars LCG, this game is still getting REGULAR releases. Like..every 4-5 weeks. That's awesome. I feel we will have a bit of a delay before the Great Devourer and the game will enter a mild "stale" release schedule before the deluxe release, but not long enough to ruin the game because (unlike another game..cough..) there doesn't seem to be any "godly" deck that auto-wins and is the only viable option for tournament play. 

Actually, I'd like a month or so off without a pack to catch up on other warlords I haven't played for a while.

• starkjoy, Cimadon, GKZhukov and 1 other like this

Killax

Killax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2108 posts
Fully agree with the latter Hoop granted I do hope Orks get a backbreaker card in Nids.

We soon have 14 Warlords and I feel Urien and Baharroth will bring interesting options to the meta.

deazra

deazra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

I think we'd have to agree on what dying means exactly, but as to the question if Conquest has already peaked, I don't think so. Regular groups and events are only getting bigger, you can pretty much always find someone to play on OCTGN and people from games "in dicline" (for us here in Germany that's AGOT and Star Wars) are latching onto Conquest.

Balance is fantastic at the moment, and more players are learning to be better, to where soon the skill tree will be less of a pointed pyramid with just Kingsley and the one guy who beats him on top.

I'd say it's "Kingsley and the people who beat him in the final round of whatever's going on, cause they discarded one of his key cards.". :) Right now that's Jeremy and Paul. Also... I've found that the OCTGN meta tends to be a lot meatier than some local metas. Then again, playing against better opponents eventually turns you into a better player - although the process might be a painful one (That one last game you decide to play, cause you really want a win before goin to bed... and then bigbellyjarelli joins the lobby... *g*)

I think FFG could use a better form of marketing sometimes but apart from that the game is not dead.

Although that might be true, we should also keep in mind that boardgaming - despite being very present in our daily lives - is not a phantastillion bucks big industry like the movie industry. The "marketing department", e.g. "The people writing spoiler articles, etc." probably consists of one and a half people spending their day typing new articles and probably girl-friday-ing the hell out of 10 other tasks.

I played WoW TCG from day 1 until the game died and people had the exact same reaction when I pointed out we had no new information about upcoming products after the set Reign of Fire. I was called names, crazy, doomsayer, hater, i was told to GTFO, etc....

It's a stretch to compare WoW TCG with other cardgames. First of all there were the (major) issues with UpperDeck, then the game got picked up by a newly formed publisher that was pretty much "Blizzard with a different label stuck on it" (Cryptozoic). All involved parties threw a lot more money at the project, than what we see with Conquest or LCGs in general - also resulting in a lot less expectations from the Publisher's / IP owner's side. It kinda reminds me of how Firefall approached it's pre-launch/release...

Well the way GW has develloped they own Core game, that is Warhammer 40.000, they are aware that games like FFG is making often inspires people to look back at armies or potentially "lure in" newer players. The biggest advantage for both compagnies here is that there is some significant overlap in their general public, being boardgamers and cardgamers.

To add to that I also think this is one of the reasons why GW decided not to further invest heavily into PC games. Games like Warhammer Total War and Mordheim all are upcomming and they do have some licenses with Sega but they will not go much deeper into this themselves (which 'for example' could be done if you buy a Warhammer unit box which will 'for example' provide a code so you can use the unit aswell on the PC game).

Now there are many ways a product can be marketed but results from the past have shown us that there shouldnt be a huge dissconect between player groups. Generally speaking "wargamers" do play PC games aswell but the wargamer who invests heavily into his armies is more often found in a boardgame store and likely more intrested in a cardgame like Conquest.

Last but not least my own example would be our player group who all consists of ex-Warhammer players. Some have allready mentioned perhaps getting a unit or two again for the fun of it. Others I know have also invested into a new army.
- Dawn of War series on the other hand never really inspired my friends to go and play the awesome Blood Ravens.

I think what Games Workshop realized by now is that to stay alive they should concentrate on the core of what they are good at (Miniature Games) and leave other areas (Cardgames, Computergames, RPGs, etc.) to the people who are good at these.

Coolstuff games sold out of their 70 copies of "Decendants of Isha" in less than 4 hours.

/Thread?

I was hanging out at our local store on the day the last warpack came out and it was very entertaining to see the who's who of the local meta wander in throughout the day and slowly dissolve the pile of "Threat Beyond" that was stacked on one of the tables.

Actually, I'd like a month or so off without a pack to catch up on other warlords I haven't played for a while.

Yeah. I'm really looking forward to the 3 month between now and Nationals to get some routine into my game.

• Killax and BayushiSezaru like this

alpha5099

alpha5099

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

I think it's also worth remembering that FFG has had seven LCGs (A Game of Thrones, Call of Cthulhu, Warhammer: Invasion, Lord of the Rings, Android: Netrunner, Star Wars, and Warhammer 40K: Conquest), and only one of those (Invasion) was ever been discontinued, and after being the least popular LCG for quite a long time. They supported that game for a very long time. And, in case the license is of concern, it had nothing to do with that (and most of the LCG licenses--Star Wars, LotR, and AGOT--are much more valuable than Warhammer, which is pretty niche).

Conquest, on the other hand, is very, very new, and by all accounts seems to be extremely popular. They aren't pulling the plug after less than a year. FFG has its issues--they could communicate more, and they could ship things quicker--but cutting and running is not something I have ever known them to do.

TimeZero

TimeZero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

I read everything so far, but you guys read only part of my posts. I'm asking if the game is dying not because of the attendance of the events, but because it's a complete silence on upcoming products.

I'll repeat myself here and read the complete post please before posting things not even related to what I'm saying.

-We are overdue for Great Devourer additional previews

-The Great Devourer is still tagged as "in development"

-Descendants of Isha was just released and yet, no announcements for the 2nd cycle.

-By now we should have already seen the announcements for 2-3 packs of the 2nd cycle.

WoW TCG had the same problem, sales and attendance were great, but in the end, Blizzard pulled the plug.

So is FFG giving us the same treatment and the plug will be pulled quietly after The Great Devourer?

Shunsen

Shunsen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Blizzard pulled the plug because selling bits and bytes at the price of card board is awesome... So actually they didn't pull the plug, they put it in.
  • Killax likes this

GKZhukov

GKZhukov

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1055 posts

I read everything so far, but you guys read only part of my posts. I'm asking if the game is dying not because of the attendance of the events, but because it's a complete silence on upcoming products.

I'll repeat myself here and read the complete post please before posting things not even related to what I'm saying.

-Descendants of Isha was just released and yet, no announcements for the 2nd cycle.

-By now we should have already seen the announcements for 2-3 packs of the 2nd cycle.

WoW TCG had the same problem, sales and attendance were great, but in the end, Blizzard pulled the plug.

So is FFG giving us the same treatment and the plug will be pulled quietly after The Great Devourer?

Erm, I did respond to that, albeit briefly. I don't believe we're overdue an additional preview. FFG are not consistent with their previews. They are currently spamming out LotR previews left, right, centre, but there was a period where there were very few. If anything I wonder if they are trying to complete the LotR main saga line before a potential LP expiry date.

I definitely wouldn't have expected previews 3 packs into the next cycle. Don't forget TGD isn't necessarily going to come out next month, followed by cycle 2, pack 1 the month after. There's often a delay when it comes to bigger packs with other LCGs, and consequently FFG have plenty of time to preview things.

The Descendants of Isha news item still technically counts os previews, since although the Ork stuff had been spoiled elsewhere, it hadn't actually been spoiled on FFG's own website...

Furthermore we've consistently heard that Cycle 1 was designed/play-tested as a whole - we don't actually know where FFG are with future stuff (we can guess their standard however many months ahead they usually plan, but we still don't know if the way cycle 1 unfolded is influencing last minute changes before previewing or anything). They've also had a lot of other stuff to preview lately, and can't exactly spam a million press releases a day.

Show me a 100% consistent release schedule/preview schedule over all past LCGs and how this doesn't fit  and then we can have a debate about it...

Also please stop comparing with WoW - it is useful to mention once, but I think you're giving it too much weight, different company, LP, business model, player-base, everything really

TimeZero

TimeZero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Blizzard pulled the plug because selling bits and bytes at the price of card board is awesome... So actually they didn't pull the plug, they put it in.

Hearthstone is indeed part of the reason it died. We suspected the license renewal went south also, but Hearthstone is a dumbed down version of WoW TCG. Hearthstone could have been glorious instead of...that...thing...

PBrennan

PBrennan

Conquest Rules Arbitrator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 874 posts

I don't know what kind of assurance you're looking for, but from what I've seen coming through as a playtester, FFG pulling the plug on this game seems about as likely as lightning striking a flying pig wearing a tutu.

• taider54, CommissarFeesh, Killax and 1 other like this

Killax

Killax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2108 posts
Yeah as long as the tutu is on we seem save.

TimeZero

TimeZero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Show me a 100% consistent release schedule/preview schedule over all past LCGs and how this doesn't fit  and then we can have a debate about it...

For the purpose of giving accurate informations, I went back only to the announcement of Lost Realm. The archive articles before that might not have an accurate timestamp.

Alright, i did some research with Lord of the Rings LCG and here is what I found:

18 August 2014
Announcement for The Lost Realm Deluxe Expension

25 August 2014
A Preview of The Road Darkens

8 September 2014

17 September 2014

3 November 2014
The Treason of Saruman
Announcing a New Saga Expansion for The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

7 November 2014
About The Lost Realm
The Fourth Deluxe Expansion for The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

20 January 2015
Shall We Turn East or West?
Preview the Side Quests of The Lost Realm Expansion for The Lord of the Rings

26 January 2015
The Dark Tide Approaches
A Preview of the Helm's Deep Scenario from The Treason of Saruman

29 January 2015
The Wastes of Eriador
Announcing the First Adventure Pack in the Angmar Awakened Cycle

11 February 2015
Secret Vigil
A Preview of The Lost Realm Deluxe Expansion for The Lord of the Rings

25 February 2015
Now May I Make a Right Choice
A Preview of the Boons and Burdens from The Treason of Saruman

3 March 2015
Escape from Mount Gram
Announcing the Second Adventure Pack in the Angmar Awakened Cycle

12 March 2015
The Secret Defenders
A Preview of the Rangers from The Lost Realm

3 April 2015
Dark Things Come
The Lost Realm Expansion Is Now Available for The Lord of the Rings

6 April 2015
Across the Ettenmoors
Announcing the Third Adventure Pack in the Angmar Awakened Cycle

13 April 2015
A Call to Arms
A Preview of the Heroes from The Treason of Saruman

23 April 2015
Doom Hangs on a Thread
The Treason of Saruman Is Now Available for The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

30 April 2015 | The Lord of the Rings LCG
The Land of Shadow
Journey with Frodo to Mordor in This The Lord of the Rings Saga Expansion
Announcing The Land of Shadow 1 week after the release of Treason of Saruman

I'm sure we could find something similar for Star Wars and Netrunner.

CommissarFeesh

CommissarFeesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Overdue by what metric? We don't know FFG's release schedule. We're living in an age where we're so used to being saturated with information and spoilers, that we apparently now lose our bottle because FFG are taking their time over something?

This is tournament season, FFG have other things to deal with right now. I seriously doubt a temporary lack of website updates is any indication the game is dying.

Slick

Slick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

As the title says. I am currently seeing some signs I don't really like. I've seen other card games dying over the years and they all have in common the same sign: complete silence from the company about upcoming products because let's face it, Descendants of Isha is officially released, The Great Devourer is still "in development" and we have no new previews (which is way overdue for The Great Devourer) and no fresh news about upcoming warpacks.

Take Lord of the Rings or Star Wars LCG for exemple. They both have plenty of announcements and previews of what's coming next. For Conquest? A big nothing.

I don't want to be the Doomsayer, but there are signs that don't lie so far.

What are your thoughts?

I find your lack of faith..disturbing

LordVampire

LordVampire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Ok so, the game might not be dying. However, I am worried over the number of players in my "local" meta. Maybe there are more players than I know of, but currently, only 2 shops in my country organise Store Championships, we had no Regionals and although we might have a Nationals, we're likely to see as much if not more foreigners than natives to join (in comparison: I live in a small country, but apparently, we do run a relative huge amount of Netrunner events).

I live near one of the four biggest cities we have, and the shops that sell this game, don't organise anything. I've asked around about players at these shops, but there don't seem to be that much. So I have to travel an hour to a shop that does organise events and, having only 2 shops in the country that do so, hate to see the numbers that attend dwindling. At first we had about 8-10 people, but now it's less with each event it seems. 

I really hope the Great Devourer will help new players to start playing this game, but at the same time, apparently AGoT 2.0 is being released later this year as well. As the fanbase of that game is obviously larger, so are the number of people that read the books and/or watched the show, pushing more people into that than into Conquest.

Conquest is the first cardgame that I really dive into, so I'm not familiar yet with any "signs" about the future of cardgames. However, I really hope the number of people over here will expand soon, else I fear the game might "die" right over here, even though it will continue elsewhere.
If not for Octgn, I might have quit the game as well I guess...

Wessex

Wessex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
This is completely incomparable to WoW TCG. There should definitely be more information from Fantasy Flight about the Great Devourer, but there is nothing to suggest the game is going anywhere as first waves consistently sell out to demand, and Fantasy Flight are still making other games based off of the 40k license (not to mention a new range of sleeves is also in production).

The Warlord cycle releases have been rapid, I'd expect an announcement on Cycle two as well as more Devourer details to be released before the end of May.

jeermaster

jeermaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

There are only two possible outcomes here and they both entail the same result for each player.

The game is not being discontinued: Enjoy the game.

The game is being discontinued: Enjoy the game.

Yes, the game will cease to exist someday. But instead of worrying when that day will be I'd much rather make the best out of the time that FFG has given to us. Because that is something we can influence, we cannot influence when Conquest will end.

• LordVampire likes this

alpha5099

alpha5099

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

For the purpose of giving accurate informations, I went back only to the announcement of Lost Realm. The archive articles before that might not have an accurate timestamp.

Alright, i did some research with Lord of the Rings LCG and here is what I found:

18 August 2014
Announcement for The Lost Realm Deluxe Expension

25 August 2014

8 September 2014

17 September 2014

3 November 2014
The Treason of Saruman
Announcing a New Saga Expansion for The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

7 November 2014
About The Lost Realm
The Fourth Deluxe Expansion for The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

20 January 2015
Shall We Turn East or West?
Preview the Side Quests of The Lost Realm Expansion for The Lord of the Rings

26 January 2015
The Dark Tide Approaches
A Preview of the Helm's Deep Scenario from The Treason of Saruman

29 January 2015
The Wastes of Eriador
Announcing the First Adventure Pack in the Angmar Awakened Cycle

11 February 2015
Secret Vigil
A Preview of The Lost Realm Deluxe Expansion for The Lord of the Rings

25 February 2015
Now May I Make a Right Choice
A Preview of the Boons and Burdens from The Treason of Saruman

3 March 2015
Escape from Mount Gram
Announcing the Second Adventure Pack in the Angmar Awakened Cycle

12 March 2015
The Secret Defenders
A Preview of the Rangers from The Lost Realm

3 April 2015
Dark Things Come
The Lost Realm Expansion Is Now Available for The Lord of the Rings

6 April 2015
Across the Ettenmoors
Announcing the Third Adventure Pack in the Angmar Awakened Cycle

13 April 2015
A Call to Arms
A Preview of the Heroes from The Treason of Saruman

23 April 2015
Doom Hangs on a Thread
The Treason of Saruman Is Now Available for The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

30 April 2015 | The Lord of the Rings LCG
The Land of Shadow
Journey with Frodo to Mordor in This The Lord of the Rings Saga Expansion
Announcing The Land of Shadow 1 week after the release of Treason of Saruman

I'm sure we could find something similar for Star Wars and Netrunner.

You're cherrypicking a game that is already deep into its lifecycle, compared with a new LCG like Conquest. The release schedule is always the most volatile for these LCGs in their first year or so. There was a very significant break in the LotR release schedule early on, during or after its second cycle (I unfortunately can't find anything online that lists when everything for that game was released). There was nearly a year gap between the first and second cycles of Star Wars packs, during which time two expansions were released.

And maybe that's what's happening here. They don't want to leave the Necron and the Tyranids out of the war packs for too long, so they'll push out both their boxes before doing more packs. Or maybe there's just a delay somewhere in the design or production or shipping process. Or maybe they're just a bit behind on communicating what's happening. That happens (see: everyone who had to sit around waiting to hear what they planned to do with AGOT).

I don't think anyone is denying that it's unfortunate we haven't heard anything about the next cycle or anything more about The Great Devourer. We're just not attributing it to the game's imminent demise. Because that's not what it is: it's Conquest's growing pains.

taijibear

taijibear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

I don't think anyone is denying that it's unfortunate we haven't heard anything about the next cycle or anything more about The Great Devourer. We're just not attributing it to the game's imminent demise. Because that's not what it is: it's Conquest's growing pains.

I will happily deny that. There is plenty to play with at the moment, and I am not a fan of having many sets previewed at once, to where new releases can already be overshadowed by stuff that will be coming out at some indeterminate point.

I think it's nice seeing just a set into the future, especially while they are experiencing logistics issues with all your dock workers hiccups, to where the gap between releases grows very uncertain for reasons outside their control.