Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Hastur Box: The Mark of Madness!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

NuFenix

NuFenix

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

Quick question regarding Acute Melancholia:

Could you use Patron of the Arts to drive insane a character you've committed to a story (say Starving Artist) to then play Acute Melancholia on another character?  The difference is between "drive insane" and "made insane" but I think it works. This opens up all kinds of fun possibilities with bonus card draw and The Greatest Fear.

I was thinking you could combine it with targeted insanity once a character is committed to a story, so I think that strategy is sound.

I was thinking of Hastur with ST - Josef Meiger gets you Drawing the Sign, Magical Theorist can accelerate tokens being placed, and The King in Yellow Folio means you have pure terror struggles as well as a tome for the Theorist.

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Finally insanity means something! :blink:

The new Hastur is everything I've been 'dreaming' of and the artwork of Tru'nembra is unparalleled!  :angry:

I agree wholeheartedly on Tru'nembra.  The art is amazing (though I'm not sold on a 7-cost AO with no toughness or invulnerability).

I also love the muted palette and Rive Gauche feel of Acute Melancholia and Starving Artist.  They really capture that 20s Parisian feel for me.  Well done FFG, well done.

Edit:  I thought about Meiger and Drawing the Sign, but 8 success tokens takes a long time.  Once Meiger leaves play all your hard work will be gone.

• aronpolemic likes this

crackotage

crackotage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

I'm glad everyone is so stoked about this box. Hastur is probably my favorite faction, theme-wise, and it always made me sad that it was seen as a sub par faction due to the limited ability of using the insanity mechanics. This is going to be a great addition, and looks like a lot of added flexibility for the types of hastur decks that can be feasible from the general descriptions in the FFG article.

Also, Paris theme is very cool.

• aronpolemic likes this

NuFenix

NuFenix

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

For those who are already planning ahead, these are cards I identified that add additional Terror struggles, as well as reminding that Hastur has a three Terror conspiracy.

• Carthoris, jasonconlon and aronpolemic like this

Carthoris

Carthoris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Edit:  I thought about Meiger and Drawing the Sign, but 8 success tokens takes a long time.  Once Meiger leaves play all your hard work will be gone.

Yeah, Mieger is too great a hazard. Magical Theorist is the ST character you really want to work with Drawing the Sign. With a couple of tomes he can get you to 8 pretty quickly.

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

ST/Hastur could definitely work with Magical Theorist + The King in Yellow Folio and/or T'tka Halot.

I'm interesting in finding a way to make Raising the Great Old Ones pay off.  It could even help ramp up a domain to drop Hastur by purposefully losing combat struggles on your weenie artists/cultists.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

I agree, Meiger is risky here and you're losing a lot of investment.  He really works best with supports that you can get some immediate value.

Tru'nembra art is amazing, you start going crazy just looking at that card.

Carthoris

Carthoris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

ST/Hastur could definitely work with Magical Theorist + The King in Yellow Folio and/or T'tka Halot.

Hell, throw in The Book of Black Stones (it's cheap!), and maybe even Whateley's Diary. The latter could allow you to usefully recoup your tokens from the story that you subsequently win by fiat with Drawing the Sign.

Mulletcheese

Mulletcheese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1047 posts
F YEAH!!!

Give me madness or give me death.

This is the best news ever.

All of those cards are really good additions to the card pool.
  • aronpolemic likes this

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

I was thinking you could combine it with targeted insanity once a character is committed to a story, so I think that strategy is sound.

I was thinking of Hastur with ST - Josef Meiger gets you Drawing the Sign, Magical Theorist can accelerate tokens being placed, and The King in Yellow Folio means you have pure terror struggles as well as a tome for the Theorist.

Yes, Acute Melancholia would work initiating the trigger with a lunatic at a story, since "made insane" covers both "drive insane" and "go insane" (from game effects, for example).

That Hastur. MmmmHmmmm. Very well-designed! Ties in well with having insane characters (like artists and/or lunatics) and definitely makes terror struggles more meaningful. I can see even a very defensive deck that just leverages winning terror to create a no-win situation for your opponent. 

• Jhaelen and aronpolemic like this

Unnamable

Unnamable

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Library of Nalanda should have some traction once this set hits! Are people REALLY suggesting that this could be available at GenCon?! Honestly, we'll be lucky to get The Thousand Young by then!

I understand the doubts about Tru'nembra but we have only seen a handful of spoilers so there may be more artists to come and in a deck focusing on the subtype you might end up with a very cheap Tru'nembra followed by a free Hastur considering neither have a minimum. Starving Artist provides an additional benefit when used to reduce the cost of Tru'nembra. Other artists within the set may provide similar benefits?

The lack of flavor text concerns me but I'll reserve judgement for now.  <_<

I too look forward to and would expect a mask or two in this set especially considering we still lack the iconic Pallid Mask.

BustaMazoo

BustaMazoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

New Hastur + The King in Yellow Folio = instant story win.

Mulletcheese

Mulletcheese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1047 posts

New Hastur + The King in Yellow Folio = instant story win.

Throw in a military bike and you win 2 stories, plus because you've won 8 terror struggles you can cash in drawing the sign straight away to win the third story.

Obtuse

Obtuse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts
Isn't there a character that turns every struggle into a terror struggle? In either Hastur or Cthulhu? Am I on the dope?

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Isn't there a character that turns every struggle into a terror struggle? In either Hastur or Cthulhu? Am I on the dope?

Are you thinking of The King in Yellow Folio?

Obtuse

Obtuse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts
No. I had it in my head somehow that there was a character that turned everything into terror while it was at a story. Could be my imagination though, as I can't find it.

Hey FFG. Make that card for me, mm'kay?

Jhaelen

Jhaelen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

I have nothing to add - except I'm excited about the box!

Unnamable

Unnamable

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Yeah, it's written all over your face!  ;)

I have nothing to add - except I'm excited about the box!      photo-thumb-2008.jpg?_r=0

• Jhaelen, Skelton and aronpolemic like this

GrahamM

GrahamM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Maybe Shub's Grim Wraith, which works for one struggle at a time?

tdnordine

tdnordine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

There is Non-Euclidean Geometry in Cthulhu from the "For The Greater Good" box that changes Investigation struggles to Terror struggles...

Also Optic Warehouse in Shub (The Wailer Below) that has "Action: Exhaust Optic Warehouse and pay 2 to choose a story. That story gains or loses a (T) struggle until the end of the phase."