Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

LS / DS Actual Statistics From Store Champs/Regions

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

yodaman

yodaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2741 posts

I think Counsel is in a bit of an odd place right now.  It used to be a 2x auto-include for Sith Control (and rightfully so), but it also has one of the fewest total force icons in it of any set (only 4 total) and that can hurt a DS deck vs. a Jedi main decks that can include 90+ force icons.  Sure you have twists but that can only get you so far.  I agree with dbmeboy though that the card draw/cycling power of the set is what makes it so useful still.   That and the fact that the Advisor is the only thing that needs a resource match so the set could pretty much go in any deck and be useful.

tierdal

tierdal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2344 posts

I wouldnt underestimate twists... they have a huge impact on your opponents total deck pips. If you get a yoda along its huge...

BobaFett

BobaFett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3037 posts
Agreed, I still love 2x counsel. Can't underestimate twists, and card draw, and a chud with a tactics is great too. When you do flop double counsels, that's still makes for a rough game for the LS
  • medfreeman, pantsyg and CharlieFilms like this

Solaris

Solaris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1241 posts

I've been finding CotS x2 to be less useful in the recent meta because it leaves a good chunk of my deck without a real threat to put on the table (though the card draw helps make up for that some). It's been turning into a x1 set more often for me... though it's always a threat to jump back to x2 because it's such a good support set overall.

Would you rather play with 2 CotS or 2 Mara? I have the latter but I'm leaning toward the former.

tierdal

tierdal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2344 posts

Would you rather play with 2 CotS or 2 Mara? I have the latter but I'm leaning toward the former.

in this meta...Id rather have Yoda :P

pantsyg

pantsyg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Why not one of each? I like having a Rage floating around in my deck enough to drop a Twist. 

BakaMatt

BakaMatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

That's a broad question given that both sets fill different needs and will depend on composition of the rest of the deck. Counsel is probably one of the strongest support sets in the game, but doesn't offer up any threats within itself. Mara offers less support, but comes with a threat.

If assuming the "Core Sith control" with 2x Emperor's Web/2x Fall of the Jedi, I lean towards Counsel because of how valuable I find the draw is for consistency and digging for what I want.

Solaris

Solaris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1241 posts

Why not one of each? I like having a Rage floating around in my deck enough to drop a Twist. 

I usually see decks either run 2 of CotS or Mara, though. I think it would make the deck more focused.

That's a broad question given that both sets fill different needs and will depend on composition of the rest of the deck. Counsel is probably one of the strongest support sets in the game, but doesn't offer up any threats within itself. Mara offers less support, but comes with a threat.

If assuming the "Core Sith control" with 2x Emperor's Web/2x Fall of the Jedi, I lean towards Counsel because of how valuable I find the draw is for consistency and digging for what I want.

Yeah, it's for a Sith Control with 2 Emperor's Web/Fall of the Jedi/Executor Arrives.

dbmeboy

dbmeboy

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3910 posts

Right now, I almost feel like the Sith control core is Vader, Emperor, Xizor... Xizor's and the Emperor's ability to deal with 2-3 units in one strike seems key against rebel rush decks and Vima decks.

yodaman

yodaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2741 posts

I'm certainly not underestimating Twists, but you can get Twists in other sets that have more total force icons (like Jawas for example) I hardly ever play DS decks without at least 2 twists. 

pantsyg

pantsyg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

I usually see decks either run 2 of CotS or Mara, though. I think it would make the deck more focused.

Yeah, it's for a Sith Control with 2 Emperor's Web/Fall of the Jedi/Executor Arrives.

In that deck I probably would run 2 CotS just for the resources, since you can't count on the Holocron being there when you need it. 

I personally do like to have Mara in my Sith somewhere as a one-of, even if I run 2 Counsel. Everything about her set is useful. 

Right now, I almost feel like the Sith control core is Vader, Emperor, Xizor... Xizor's and the Emperor's ability to deal with 2-3 units in one strike seems key against rebel rush decks and Vima decks.

Good point. His extra tactics are great, and Shadows is key with all the strong LS objectives out there (MTFBWY and H&L especially).

• yodaman likes this

Solaris

Solaris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1241 posts

I saw decks with Vader, Emperor, and Xizor out there, but they usually use the Scum affiliation and not Sith's. 

yodaman

yodaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2741 posts

Gotta use Scum if you're running Xizor since his set is Scum only, but I certainly agree that Xizor's set plays into the Sith Control archetype. 

pantsyg

pantsyg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

So here's a question--if you're playing Sith Control in today's meta (assume 2 Emp, Vader, Xizor, and your choice of support or additional mains--I've been liking 1 Executor, 1 Stele, 1 Sariss, 1 Counsel), what do you mulligan for? A main? A couple chuds and some removal? Gotta have a resource?

Another question: so-called "toolbox" decks are pretty common on LS (decks with 2 repeat sets and the rest singles), does anyone like to take the same approach to DS, or is DS more dependent on consistently seeing certain mains?

These seem like basic questions, but I haven't played competitively in awhile and I'm interested what more experienced folks have to say.

dbmeboy

dbmeboy

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3910 posts

So here's a question--if you're playing Sith Control in today's meta (assume 2 Emp, Vader, Xizor, and your choice of support or additional mains--I've been liking 1 Executor, 1 Stele, 1 Sariss, 1 Counsel), what do you mulligan for? A main? A couple chuds and some removal? Gotta have a resource?

Another question: so-called "toolbox" decks are pretty common on LS (decks with 2 repeat sets and the rest singles), does anyone like to take the same approach to DS, or is DS more dependent on consistently seeing certain mains?

These seem like basic questions, but I haven't played competitively in awhile and I'm interested what more experienced folks have to say.

I tried a really crazy DS toolbox deck:

2 Emperor

2 Xizor

1 each Vader, core Boba, Jabba, BotF Mara, Delta One, Sariss

The general thought being that the best way to counter LS tactics insanity is by having a variety of mains to get on the board (with tactics everywhere of my own).  It worked ok, but is certainly not the best version of the toolbox deck you could build (definitely a fun version though).

pantsyg

pantsyg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

I tried a really crazy DS toolbox deck:

2 Emperor

2 Xizor

1 each Vader, core Boba, Jabba, BotF Mara, Delta One, Sariss

The general thought being that the best way to counter LS tactics insanity is by having a variety of mains to get on the board (with tactics everywhere of my own).  It worked ok, but is certainly not the best version of the toolbox deck you could build (definitely a fun version though).

That's a good idea, so if you have a main locked down, you're not stuck with the other copy helplessly in hand but can instead present a new threat. I think I'd take Echoes Mara and a Counsel or Zekka in place of Jabba and Balance Mara myself, but I do like your "tactics everywhere!" approach. 

I'll have to do some more experimenting with Balance Mara; she's a pretty nice little unit, and while her chuds are dead, the rest of the set seems pretty legit!

dbmeboy

dbmeboy

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3910 posts

BotF Mara is nice, but has the disadvantage of being a poor turn 1 play (since you don't want to commit her).  The chuds at least have 2 force icons...

Join Me is fun though :D

tierdal

tierdal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2344 posts

BotF Mara is nice, but has the disadvantage of being a poor turn 1 play (since you don't want to commit her).  The chuds at least have 2 force icons...

Join Me is fun though :D

i like that mara so much - tactics is great...refresh for defense...chuds are bad bt have 2 icons

Join me is really cool 

TheMAC

TheMAC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Recently I payed with Shadows of dathomir (emperor's blesing) and Call of the cult (Hate) As support set. Hand's blessing really saved the day as I could remove all the focus icons locked characters. All out brawl also come to my mind especially to be used as timed bomb with wither agression/lightning/deadly sight

dbmeboy

dbmeboy

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3910 posts
Zekka doesn't work with Aggression. He only triggers when destroyed, not when sacrificed (both are methods of discarding, but they aren't synonymous).