Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Playing coc online

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
239 replies to this topic

Jhaelen

Jhaelen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

Was just speaking to a chap on OCTGN and he said that he wasn't buying into the game nor giving it much interest, because there wasn't enough popularity online for the game and he felt it would be discontinued soon as nobody seemed to be playing it.

Dunno. Sounds like a lame excuse to me...

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts

Dunno. Sounds like a lame excuse to me...

no that is most peoples reason, it was the reason I didn't play sooner. It is scary dropping down 200 or more on a game that you can't find people to play with or worried is going to be dead soon.

arkhaminmate

arkhaminmate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
It may be a lame excuse, but one I encounter quite a lot. SOOOOOO many people aren't interested in the game because the hard core gamers want an experience beyond just tournaments and a couple of friends, and this involves regular online play. But Cthuhlu has NO presence on Lackey or OCTGN, and so it attracts NO new players using this medium. Its so ridiculous that we're missing out on such a large audience but people seem to be quite ambivalent towards increasing the games popularity (and possibly saving its existence long term).

Jhaelen

Jhaelen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

no that is most peoples reason, it was the reason I didn't play sooner.

Let me quote the argument again:

because there wasn't enough popularity online

Emphasis mine.
Now, what does the availability of online players have to do with a decision to buy physical cards?

There's no direct connection between the two. I'd understand the argument, if he had said, there wasn't enough popularity locally. That would have been a valid reason.
However, there's also no way for him to encourage others in his area to play the game, if he doesn't want to buy the cards.
Being able to play online won't help him to grow the local playerbase - and that's what you need the cards for - apart from participating in larger tournaments, maybe.

arkhaminmate

arkhaminmate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
Wrong I'm afraid Jhaelen.

There is a DIRECT co-relation to someone learning / being introduced to the game online and finding they enjoy it. THEN they might buy the cards and start participating in tournaments / start building the local meta. In fact I see this as being a crucial avenue for recruiting new players, as NO-ONE is going to spend a fair amount of money out of the blue on a game that they have no idea about, that no-one plays locally, and that doesn't have an online presence to play against and that presents an opportunity to play regular matches and build a love for the game, which would then translate to card purchases and a desire for a local group.

I've lost count how many people I've taught throughout the past year. In the beginning they are always very keen and excited by the marvellous mechanics, and some even buy a core set to get started. Unfortunately though within a month or two EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM has lost interest as there wasn't enough impetus online to foster their new enthusiasm and they've all returned to playing ANR, AGoT or Magic and I've never seen them again. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM. And they quote directly that this is the reason for them giving up on Cthulhu.

A lot of these people aren't looking to invest the time in building a local community from scratch, and like me would be quite happy to play regular games online and refine their decks (if this existed), collect the cards, and then travel to tournaments. The ONLY reason I'm still here is because I bought the card pool en masse second hand, was already a massive H.P Lovecraft fan, and play this card game and no others. If I was in fact someone who had no idea who Lovecraft was, only bought a few starter sets, played and spent money on other LCG/CCG's, and then tried to enjoy the game online then I'd have given up just like all the others I've watched fall by the wayside, as frankly Cthulhu sucks online at the moment and I'm forced to attend tournaments with decks that have not fully been playtested.

Building a local scene can also be a lengthy and frustrating process. For those people just getting into the game and trying to foster a group, the online experience is a way of staying involved with the game and keeping the motivation to continue trying with their local attempts. Without this ability to enjoy the game throughout the process by playing it online then it is all too easy for them to find themselves with a card game they never get to play, and the daunting task of getting to physically play it too much to invest the time into when there are so many other card games they DO get to play both online and in person, as EVERY OTHER game has a great online presence (EDIT: Even My Little Pony).

It is a proven and personally experienced FACT that we are losing / not gaining players because of the abysmal attitude the community has towards online play, and for some strange reason people won't buy cards for a game they've never had the opportunity of experiencing nor one that they don't CONTINUE TO EXPERIENCE REGULARLY, and a vibrant online community is the perfect place to present people with this chance. It just isn't happening.
  • Zephyr likes this

Jhaelen

Jhaelen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

Wrong I'm afraid Jhaelen.

Well, I am not wrong just because you disagree :)

So, you have some anecdotal 'evidence'. Well, here's mine: I know exactly no one playing CoC locally who is also playing CoC online!

I can only guess that things are different in Australia than they are here in Europe. That's actually even likely since distances between players can be a lot larger than they can be here.

If someone isn't interested in buying a CoC core set 'out of the blue' they also won't start playing CoC online 'out of the blue'.
About the only positive effect I can see is this: If you already started buying cards and cannot find players locally, then being able to play online might increase the likelihood that you keep up interest in the game and keep buying the cards. If you only ever played CoC online, though, and you don't see a chance of eventually finding players locally, I strongly doubt there would be any incentive to actually start buying cards.

It is a proven and personally experienced FACT that we are losing / not gaining players because of the abysmal attitude the community has towards online play

Well, either you don't know what a FACT (bold and capitalized, no less!) is, or you're just trying to make me laugh. I can report that you succeeded in the latter, so that's what I'm going to assume :D

It's obviously impossible to prove a general statement ('we are losing / not gaining players...') with personal experience, especially, if my personal experience is different.

arkhaminmate

arkhaminmate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

1) I know exactly no one playing CoC locally who is also playing CoC online!

(break)

2) If someone isn't interested in buying a CoC core set 'out of the blue' they also won't start playing CoC online 'out of the blue'.

1) Then your area is exactly the problem I'm expressing.

2) I've had several players ask me to start learning when I put out there in the forums that I'm willing to teach, 'out of the blue'. You're obviously not understanding that this is what I'm trying to do. But without help and regular people online then these people quickly become disinterested.

If you're never playing online (as you confess yourself) then my experience in the online platforms (which I visit several times daily) far outwieghs any 'guesswork' you may have about what is actually happening on there. Sorry Jhaelen. Not trying to start a ruckus, but really, if you're not getting on Lackey or Octgn regularly then you have no grounds for making any comments about it at all.

Jan

Jan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

2) I've had several players ask me to start learning when I put out there in the forums that I'm willing to teach, 'out of the blue'. You're obviously not understanding that this is what I'm trying to do. But without help and regular people online then these people quickly become disinterested.

If you're never playing online (as you confess yourself) then my experience in the online platforms (which I visit several times daily) far outwieghs any 'guesswork' about what is actually happening on there. Sorry Jhaelen. Not trying to start a ruckus, but really, if you're not getting on Lackey or Octgn regularly then you have no grounds for making any comments about it all.

Fair arguments from arkhaminmate here. The online presence of Call of Cthulhu (be it Lackey, OCTGN, these forums, FFG forums, G+, Facebook, Podcasts) is much smaller than it should be. The other LCGs are much more visible online. It really deserves more attention in general.

I am not in your timezone arkhaminmate, and I don't have the option to do dedicated online game nights. When I have time to play I prefer live games, but I am definitely up for a OCTGN game given the possiblity.
  • arkhaminmate likes this

arkhaminmate

arkhaminmate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
I am timezone divergent Jan, and am often on Lackey and OCTGN from 8pm - 12am American and European timezones trying to push the game. The couple of players already invested in the game that I do get to occasionally play are from Apple Valley and Walker USA along with Finland and Germany. I have no problems being there at these times (and generally are, twiddling my thumbs every day). Would be great to see you on there one day.

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts
What!? Who is from Apple valley??

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts
Also their are people like me that are okay owning cards to play with family and friends and few tournaments but those are often like a game a month for people like me and need online to play regularly and be worth the investment. Also I understand playing few games first online to see if like it but you shouldn't constantly play a game online without owning the cards that is what makes ffg upset with online play. I play 5 lcgs, going to stop netrunner though, and I almost can only play online elusive don't have local game store. The thing is online play is a good sign or indicator how a game is doing and after warhammer got cut others are thing CoC is shortly behind and when people that are itching at trying see very little talk or people playing online adds to their doubt

arkhaminmate

arkhaminmate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
This is very true Mn Broncos.

I just did a count on OCTGN during off peak hours (around 6pm American and 1am European times) and there are 367 users online. That's 367 people who aren't thinking 'Hmmm. Absolutely no Cthulhu games going on nor a single person talking about it. Now that's a game I gotta get me some of'.

And the poor people like Mr. MnBroncos who don't even have a local gamestore (the horror !!) and only get to play perhaps once a month, where would their priorities and interests lie if they didn't have (and really only barely have now) someone online to play against? How are they supposed to hone their skills and decks so they feel confident about attending tournaments and present the best challenge for others that they can offer?

Jhaelen

Jhaelen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

Err, what? So we have a problem because players are buying CoC cards without playing online? Odd problem, that!

If you're never playing online (as you confess yourself) then my experience in the online platforms (which I visit several times daily) far outwieghs any 'guesswork' you may have about what is actually happening on there. Sorry Jhaelen. Not trying to start a ruckus, but really, if you're not getting on Lackey or Octgn regularly then you have no grounds for making any comments about it at all.

Lol. Now you're getting seriously ridiculous. Thanks for making an effort to read what I'm writing!

First, we've even met online when I was playing against a player in France.
Second, you've been trying to fabricate a connection between people playing cards and playing online.

So let me return your argument in kind: Since you just confessed you are only playing online you obviously have no business making any comment about people buying cards.

I should have known better than trying to engage in a meaningful conversation with you. Have a nice day!

arkhaminmate

arkhaminmate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
No problems Jhaelen. It was always going to be difficult having a meaningful conversation when both of us think we're right and neither of us it seems is bothering to listen to what the other has to say.

In reality I don't think we were even 'discussing' the same topic anyway. It might just be me but it seems to make perfect sense that if we had a strong online presence, and we not only used this to teach people the game but more importantly provide regular games to enrich their knowledge and interest in Cthulhu, that it may very well lead to them buying cards and trying to build a local community when there was none, mainly because no-one in that area had been given the opportunity to see the game being played and enjoyed by a great group of online Cthulhu players. Looks like you don't see it this way though and that's your opinion and fair enough.

I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree. Sorry if I offended you in any way as I'm trying very hard to be good, but I can still be somewhat opinionated. Have a nice day yourself !

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts
The thing isn't that we are saying you need to play online over with cards, of course not. The thing is playing online does help increase popularity for the game that is all. But this conversation got out of control.

darksir23

darksir23

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
I think the important thing to remember is that promoting online play shouldn't hurt the physical play community, and promoting physical play shouldn't hurt the online community. I discovered the game physically, but couldn't build a local play community, so I threw myself into helping build the online community. I figure online play gives me the opportunity to teach people how to play that might not find time to let me do so personally. Now that I live away from the few people I did play in person when I discovered the game, I can now still play them, in theory.

The thing to remember is that both communities CAN thrive because of the existence of the other, they both just need to get bigger before it's going to be a noticeable impact on either community.
  • Jhaelen, arkhaminmate, mnBroncos and 1 other like this

arkhaminmate

arkhaminmate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
Well said Darksir23, and I am in no way advocating one over the other. I've collected the entire card pool up until SoK, but without online play it does sometimes strike me as a complete waste of money and time spent building decks / posting on forums when I've managed a grand total of 4 face to face games in the past year.

plasticXO

plasticXO

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

I've been out of the loop for some time, and I don't know if it's still used much compared to OCTGN, but I have made the update for the Lackey plugin by adding the Denizens expansion. Thanks to Blinovitch who provided some data for it.

Here is the link for the update again if anyone is interested.

http://dl.dropboxuse.../updatelist.txt

• Jhaelen and blinovitch like this

blinovitch

blinovitch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Great news! Thank you, plasticXO!

amberan

amberan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hi,

the plugin link does not work, there are links to some dropbox files that probably aren't there any more. Anyone has a functional link, please?

Thanks a lot.