Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Playing coc online

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
239 replies to this topic

kriss

kriss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

does CoC work on octgn at all? If so someone should give me a demo game asap (: i just don't want to download new software if don't have too

db0 made a plugin for octgn and i modified it : it was ok before the new update changed many architecturals files.
I saw someone post an octgn plugin available for the new update in cardgamedb, not sure about the date netheir the member: a little search should be necessary.

I was very interestead about octgn program and i liked to play with , but after the big update i just drop it : too many crash, very low to access play option, no game save (very important when you lost connection after 30 min play !!!) and no means to join a game when it starts yet..

Btw many thanks to PlasticXO to maintain this plugin

plasticXO

plasticXO

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I have not tried OCTGN for a month or so, but last time I tried, I was very frustrated about not having the 3 or 4 latest expansions included.
Sure it's a bit nicer and more modern visually, but some manipulations are quite painful while playing. Such as looking at one's or at the opponent's discard pile.
Unless OCTGN's CoC plugin has been updated, I would not recommend using it for the time being.

As for Lackey's plugin, thanks to all members sending me messages about things that need to be corrected.
The plugin supports auto-update, so you should have a message prompting you to update if you checked the right box in the options.
  • Jhaelen likes this

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

I have not tried OCTGN for a month or so, but last time I tried, I was very frustrated about not having the 3 or 4 latest expansions included.
Sure it's a bit nicer and more modern visually, but some manipulations are quite painful while playing. Such as looking at one's or at the opponent's discard pile.
Unless OCTGN's CoC plugin has been updated, I would not recommend using it for the time being.

As for Lackey's plugin, thanks to all members sending me messages about things that need to be corrected.
The plugin supports auto-update, so you should have a message prompting you to update if you checked the right box in the options.

It looks like someone is updating the OCTGN plugin as of the beginning of November. http://octgn.gamersj...lhu-set-images/
The image set includes everything through KatG, but there are still some issues with functionality. Everything right now is pretty much "drag and drop." Hopefully Darksir23 can work these out and we'll have an updated CoC plugin for OCTGN soon. Also it looks like the OCTGN devs are working on being able to save games. But I've never had a ton of problems with crashes in OCTGN, and games in CoC are quick, so it's not a huge concern for me.

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts
what is wrong with drag and drop? I prefer game of thrones on octgn then star wars and netrunner to me the animations make game actually slower and annoying to try to memories all that stuff.

blinovitch

blinovitch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
I like the simpler way. It makes me learn the rules instead of relying on the software.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

I like the simpler way. It makes me learn the rules instead of relying on the software.

I agree. I prefer the software to just be a virtual table and not much else. In real games I move my own cards around just fine, I can do it online too. This keeps the interface simple and makes it easier to add support for new games when you don't have a bunch of customization to do for each one - plus you don't risk the plugin introducing its own errors.

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts
No, I mean that all you can do is drag and drop. None of the scripts work for draw, mulligan, stand all, etc.

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts
as long as it can shuffle be fine I first played online at tradingcardsonline or something like that until ffg took rights and shut it down and it only worked that way it really isn't to big of deal, I just want people to play with ha

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts
Darksir23, the plugin admin, replied and said that he expects a serviceable plugin for OCTGN by the end of November. Hopefully this will include TiV, but even if not it will still be very helpful. I know a lot of current CoC players like Lackey, but a lot of Netrunner and AGoT players use OCTGN, so it will only help to fuel cross-over.

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts
problem I see is with CoC being smaller group be nice if everyone uses same system, if its lackey i don't mind I will figure it out I just want to be able to play against all you once understand the game (:

Jan

Jan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
I still think OCTGN has the best idea even if the feature set is not as complete (I think?). It also looks more appealing visually. The best would of course be a platform-independent modern responsive web application with HTML5 and Javascript (and maybe WebSockets?).

Who's a software developer out there? Care to team up? ;)
  • Danigral likes this

blinovitch

blinovitch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
Living in the Mac world, I think Lackey is all I'll ever know. I tried installing OCTGN in a virtual machine once and it wouldn't launch, so far as I could tell.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

I still think OCTGN has the best idea even if the feature set is not as complete (I think?). It also looks more appealing visually. The best would of course be a platform-independent modern responsive web application with HTML5 and Javascript (and maybe WebSockets?).

The idea is just to be able to play card games online and as far as I can tell it's the same across all the programs that do this sort of thing. Feature-wise, I would say that OCTGN is fancier than necessary. Lackey doesn't try to automate anything or know how to play the games, it just lets the players do that stuff. The cross-platform part is where OCTGN horribly botches things of course. If they'd written it in Java instead of C# we'd all be much better off.

Like blinovich, I'm on a Mac here and while I do have a Windows emulator I have never been able to get OCTGN to run so Lackey is the best alternative.

wildefox

wildefox

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
I've tried following some of the links in this thread, but I'm afraid I'm not very tech savvy when it comes to certain things and I can't figure out how to download and install the plugin for Cthulhu (on Lackey, I know how to work OCTGN now). Would anyone be kind of enough to give me a brief step by step, or link me to a tutorial? I'd love to try out some online matches.

Darkman

Darkman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
Just get the lastest version of Lackey at www.lackeyccg.com.
If you had previous versions installed then go to your plugins folder and remove your folder "cthulhu_lcg"

After starting the program go to tab >> plugin
then at the line with the button "Paste Autoupdate URL": you copy in the line >>
http://dl.dropboxuse.../updatelist.txt (first click the link, then copy the complete link from your browser)
then you push the button behind the text box "Install or update from URL!"
After that you push the button below called "download all missing card images"
then you have to wait a while for all images have been downloaded

Thats it, then you go to tab "server" and connect to server and you can see which games are being played at that moment. You can start your own cthulhu game or join an existing one (if there's any!!)

In the deck editor you can make your own decks or upload the ones you made in the deckbuilder with the button "browse".
Deck builder >> http://eric.minet.fr.../dbdownl_en.htm

then you can test them out even in a single player game by pushing the button "load entire deck to you". This button can be found in the tab "Deck Editor"

Hope this helps you
  • Danigral, Midian and Jhaelen like this

wildefox

wildefox

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Thanks, that's just what I needed!

badash56

badash56

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
Danigral and I tried a test game on OCTGN yesterday, and it is usable. It's a little rough around the edges, but once it gets finished it should work and we can get some games in.
  • Midian likes this

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts
does the save deck as a lackey file not work for CoC? and does Octgn not have all the images wondering why it didn't load deck said error when tried on there.

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts
I've started learning Lackey this week, and I've found it to be buggy. Part of that is my inexperience to be sure, but it's also the software. Sometimes when I click on buttons they simply don't work, then they do.

The same thing happened with my deck. I went through all the steps, saved it, loaded it to me, and it was there. Then it was gone the next time I logged in. I re-did everything and now it's back again. Strange.

Anyway, I'm trying my first game tonight. If I manage to get the hang of how Lackey works hopefully I'll be around for a few online matches in the future.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
I've used Lackey quite a bit. I haven't had much trouble with bugs but I'll admit that I don't do a lot of fancy stuff with it either. I just drag my cards, flip/exhaust them, etc.. Very little automation.

The save deck function on this site doesn't work for Lackey - it seems to be aimed at an older Lackey plugin that nobody uses anymore. The difference is in the abbreviations of the expansions - if you correct these it will find the "missing" cards. One of those things that would be nice to get fixed one day.