Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

No news of the future of CoC

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

LordTeacup

LordTeacup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

As promised I pitched the question to Chris Petersen regarding whether Call of Cthulhu had a future in 2016.  As expected he stated that Cthulhu was 'very dear to him' but couldn't state anything regarding games not yet announced, and instead referred me to the Hastur box due in the Fall.  I tried a few other avenues and tactics over the weekend but got nothing other than consoling looks.

So, while I have to stress that I have absolutely no evidence other than hearsay and supposition to go by, it doesn't look good for a continuation of releases after Hastur.

I could be wrong, I could be wrong, I could be wrong.

However.  That FFG is not offering any reason for new players to get on board it is unlikely that there is anything in the pipeline.  So what from here on?  We still have a bunch of Regionals and a National, there will be a Worlds but after that?  I suspect it will be down to investigators and acolytes to persevere with the secret war.  For me I intend making of the most of what could well be the games Swan Song events.  If I can get to Worlds (tricky as we have big things happening with our store shortly) then it will be to play in the CoC event.

I sincerely intend to try and maintain a tournament presence in the UK.  Hell, there are a million and one things to use as prizes.  So while we keep our fingers crossed that I'm wrong (not often I wish for that) I think that even if the hammer falls Cthulhu has life in it.  After all, That is not dead which can eternal lie....

• NuFenix likes this

FunkeXMix

FunkeXMix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

In my experience companies in general do not make any promises for dates that far ahead. It's not a good question to ask and goes unanswered for good reasons regardless if there are plans or not. So I would say you assumptions are unfounded and you are getting ahead of yourself. They might, they might not.

• Jhaelen, Greynomad38 and Carthoris like this

LordTeacup

LordTeacup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

I stressed the 'I could be wrong' statement but the chat with Chris was not the only insight which steers me towards this, people who know things kept their mouths closed but looked at me as if I'd just lost my favourite aunt in an accident.  

You are dead right regarding FFG not stating their intent for future products but there is a fundamental difference in this and not being able to acknowledge events happening in February (Regional Season in the UK).  I've seen this happen with Invasion, World of Warcraft TCG and other titles that had been selected for retirement by their publishers.  Rather than saying something, they say nothing.  The product is excluded from press and board announcements. I recall vividly the pitch by Crypto at a retailer summit concerning their next 'cool' products.  The guy had news about ALL the goodies for the year to come.  When asked about their premier Card Game....he had no idea.  'Er...I'm not sure what is coming, but look at this other stuff...its shiny!'  That's what we got and every retailer in the room knew it was time to hit eBay with their stock.

Call of Cthulhu effectively reaches the stage that Warhammer Invasion was at when it paid the ferryman.  The game is no longer driven through chapter packs but by deluxe boxes, each faction has its own box when Hastur is released and the previous packs are already print-on-demand.  Regional and Worlds attendance will be the lowest of most if not all of their titles (despite our best efforts) and that also reflects sales.

Still, dumb optimism keeps me hoping that FFG will continue to give us product.  Here on the boards we have discussed options that the game could take such as themed expansions like Terror In Venice, the question is will their be enough financial incentive for FFG to commit artists and designers to CoC while they have such big titles as Imperial Assault and Conquest (plus the new Thrones) demanding resources?

Unnamable

Unnamable

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Have you considered that the constant casting of doubt upon this game by posting such subject titles and questions might instead be what will cause the curious gamer visiting these forums to ultimately choose not to invest in it? You could be perpetuating a self-fulfilling prophecy? It reminds me of FOX news here stateside, no real news to report so doubt and fear are what you are peddling.  :o

However.  That FFG is not offering any reason for new players to get on board it is unlikely that there is anything in the pipeline.  So what from here on?  

"

• Greynomad38, Obtuse and crackotage like this

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

I don't know your aunt and I didn't see the look, but all I'm reading here is that FFG didn't break their policies about when they want to announce things.  Surely that is what we would expect?

We've seen this thread so many times, I guess I just don't get why people are so negative about the game.  Yes, it will end eventually as all things do.  But until then, I would rather enjoy the ride than spend my time worrying.

Lovecraft ALSO said "It ain't over till the fat shoggoth sings".  He may not have written it down, but I'm pretty sure he said it at some point.

• Carthoris, TwoShedsJackson, Avemier and 1 other like this

LordTeacup

LordTeacup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

"It ain't over till the fat shoggoth sings".  

I'm fairly certain that is in fact a Lovecraft quote.  It certainly has something eldritch about it.

• Cumber likes this

Nightmare588

Nightmare588

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
It is for this reason that i am so excited about the In Flight report at Gencon this year. until then, im just going to keep going like nothing is going to change.
  • Danigral and LordTeacup like this

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

I agree with David. They are following their policy on product announcements. The "very dear to us" line is something that all the FFG employees have been saying about CoC for years (about as long as the doomsaying has been happening, too). So I'm not worried. The CEO of FFG likely does not know everything that his many design teams are working on at any given moment, even though he may be part of the committee that ultimately okays the development and production.

• Avemier likes this

Obtuse

Obtuse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts
While I'm sure this post was created with the best of intentions, can we please as a community STOP THE FEARMONGERING over the future of the game? The topic keeps popping up, and I also fear the effect that has on anyone thinking about picking up the game.

There's no evidence whatsoever the game will be "ending" soon and everything you hear about this is speculation and heresay.
  • Kwakkie and Unnamable like this

LordTeacup

LordTeacup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

...while I have to stress that I have absolutely no evidence other than hearsay and supposition to go by

...I could be wrong, I could be wrong, I could be wrong.

Did I stutter?

The effect it would have on a potential player is that they would consider whether it was worth investing in.  If they were smart they would hold off until after the Hastur box is released and then if there is anything announced in the positive they can break out their credit card, if not, they can look at whether the game will receive good community support in their area and if not in that instance, look into another title.

I personally don't want to see guys chuck literally hundreds of pounds at a game and then see it cancelled the following month.  This is not particularly FFG's fault, they have a business to run and stocks to clear but I'll be damned if I'll lead one of my guys down a primrose path only for him to find that there is a cliff at the end of it.  A healthy amount of speculation (backed up by some pretty decent contacts) is never harmful.  Plus the statements can be put to the test or disregarded.  Extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence as Christopher Hitchens said, however this isn't particularly extraordinary, its business and the weight of business factors would lead, well...me certainly...down the route of a healthy wrapping up of the title.

And remember that regardless of what is on these forums the decision to carry on with the game or end it has already been taken long before we all started to get itchy.

• Cumber likes this

LordTeacup

LordTeacup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Incidentally, not many people like to be proven wrong but in this instance I will whoop and rejoice if I am.  And you can all send me pics of your bared bums to show me the ass I have been and I'll take it with glee.

Unnamable

Unnamable

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

After these comments I will abandon this thread entirely.

You seem to be convinced LordTeacup, that you are doing someone a service? The Hastur box was just announced so by all accounts it is business as usual for this game as far as FFG is concerned. Warning players away from a healthy game based on speculation is in my opinion a disservice to the community. The player base for this game is growing but if these sort of subjects are discussed incessantly on these forums do you not think that the game's recent growth could be adversely effected? So even if FFG had initial plans to continue with the game a drop in sales and participation could change that? The first LCG to be discontinued by FFG got the axe right in the middle of playtesting a new set! 

I suspect your claims of saving some blokes their hard-earned pounds is really an effort to draw attention to yourself by floating some conspiracy theories.

Incidentally, this is not about being proven wrong. As it has been said, no game lasts forever so support and enjoy it while you can. It may end a month from now or it could be years. You offer nothing new or useful here. This subject has been discussed over and over and it seems the active community here is asking you to 'Give it a rest.' 

• Avemier and crackotage like this

LordTeacup

LordTeacup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Well I don't run away from a discussion because I don't feel my point is coming across.  Instead I look at what is actually being said and consider it, then if I can't agree I accept that, and am happy to take on board that views differ and run with it.  

The point of the post was to acknowledge, whether you like it or not, that Cthulhu is nearing the end of its life as a 'current' title, that is, one that will be expanded upon, and in that instance to ask what will be done after its demise. I'm looking forward to seeing community run events, player-devised additions and art.  I see life after death for CoC, because I like it a good deal.  

What I'm not prepared to do however, is stick my head in the sand and have people be unaware of the situation with any of the games that they might invest in, and that might ultimately cause them a good deal of financial loss and also turn them away from FFG.  I've seen this with other games, other publishers, not just FFG.  You seem more concerned that a new player might not buy CoC than of them losing money and faith.  I'm the opposite.  And I sell the the things, so players buying systems is quite a big deal.

FFG reacts to sales of a title historically when they design and produce their expanded products.  They don't plan to end it and then suddenly change their minds because three guys bought a core in a week.  If its scheduled to end in November 2015 do you actually think they are going to have an expansion designed, tested and ready for release four months later because it might do better?

And if you think I'll be battered down by 'my opinion is worth more to everyone than yours' as an argument you are sadly mistaken.  If you can produce an actual rationale that defeats my speculation I'll accept it and thank you for the information.  For example 'Hey, Teacup, we just saw that XXXX artist has been contracted to paint some more art for FFG, you know, the guy who does most of the CoC art but currently isn't doing any,'  this isn't PROOF that the game is continuing but its GOOD SPECULATION and would make me lean towards thinking there is more hope than I have right now.

That's what you need to chuck my way.  I don't need to draw attention to myself for negative things either, I'd rather be the flag carrier than the pall bearer, so your poor insult condemns you, not me.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

If they were smart they would hold off until after the Hastur box is released and then if there is anything announced in the positive they can break out their credit card, if not, they can look at whether the game will receive good community support in their area and if not in that instance, look into another title.

So what would have changed?  Say one more box is announced.  But surely the game is about to die after THAT one, because FFG hasn't announced any firm plans to continue!  We'd better wait until after this second box arrives, and then demand the announcement of a third before procrastinating even more due to continued uncertainty.

I know what you're saying, but there is no further assurance to be gained for this or any other episodic game.  Netrunner could end tomorrow.  So could any other card game, minis game, etc...  There is simply no way that a publisher can provide a binding forever contract to keep making more stuff and without that you will always have *some* chance that the game is going to end soon.

What folk keep pointing out though is that if you insist on impossible degrees of assurance, all you accomplish is that you will enjoy what you have less due to worry and that by spreading fear you actually (even if only in a small way) accelerate the loss you dread.  While it is difficult to measure how much dissuasion might be caused at the global level, at a local level it can certainly be large enough to feel.  Further, it is possible to destroy your enjoyment of the game even easier than it is to destroy the game itself.

• WWDrakey, LordTeacup and Unnamable like this

LordTeacup

LordTeacup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

I'm fairly certain that people would be more angry at me for recommending they buy a game that stops production four months after buying it than because I put them off for a few months.  And note, while I am truthful about my expectations I also pitch my belief that because CoC has a better balanced and more varied card pool than say, Warhammer Invasion and that I have every intention of pursuing events after the game bites the dust (whenever that may be) I have had success in getting people on board.

When a player sees 'Sure, its ending (when it ends), but we are still playing, the game is strong' they know its not just some trunk of cards that's going up into the loft.  I think its wiser to be pragmatic but positive than optimistic but without plans.

Obtuse

Obtuse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts
I'll be abandoning the thread after my own comments here as well.

First, nobody has hurled an insult that I've noticed so just slow down a minute and take it easy. If any insults were perceived allow me to apologize on behalf of myself and Jeff both.

Second, I can't stop you from expressing an opinion nor would I dare try. If you want to put on a sandwich board with "the end is nigh" scribbled on it just go out there and own it if you feel you must.

But we go over the same topic about 2 to 3 times each month. Personally I'd rather not do that. Normally I'd just keep my trap shut, but I do have concerns we make scare off new players based on speculation alone. So I humbly and politely ask anyone who would think about bringing this topic up again and again to please reconsider.
  • WWDrakey, Unnamable and Avemier like this

Mulletcheese

Mulletcheese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1050 posts
LordTeacup, at a recent CoC event you mentioned that you'd heard something that indicated that there would be another silver twilight deluxe box after hastur. Do you no longer think that would be happening?

Greynomad38

Greynomad38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Yah, this doom and gloom speculation doesn't do anyone nor the game itself any service.  I move to delete this thread altogether.  I, for one, am optimistic of the future of this game.  A FLGS tells one of my regulars every time he gets a core set in it sells quickly (not sure where those players are as they're not playing with us but as long as it's selling).  Our local meta has grown steadily and only Netrunner beats it for regular local players.  FFG obviously has a love of the Cthulhu universe, with five games set in the genre.  Barring a reboot, this game isn't going anywhere.  Mark me down for there will be another deluxe release after Hastur!

• WWDrakey, GrahamM, Unnamable and 1 other like this

GrahamM

GrahamM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Yeah I'd second a vote for removal

• WWDrakey, Greynomad38, Unnamable and 1 other like this

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

All we can do is keep reiterating the same points we always do.  There is no direct evidence that the game is ending.  FFG likes Cthulhu.  It's a cheaper game because the license is inexpensive and art costs can be shared between their several other Cthulhu games, so it doesn't need to make as much profit as some of the other games in order to be profitable.  FFG keeps saying that the game is selling better after the move to only boxes.  Faction boxes are a strategy aimed at new players.  etc... etc...

• WWDrakey, Greynomad38 and Avemier like this