Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

No news of the future of CoC

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

Kwakkie

Kwakkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

By the same standards used in the OP Apple and Google will both be out of business by next year.

I can confirm this. The guy in the apple store gave me a weird look when I asked if they would release anything new after the iPhone 6.

• Jhaelen, theamazingmrg, SapperD and 2 others like this

MotoBuzzsawMF

MotoBuzzsawMF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

So I am a huge fan of H.P. Lovecraft and Robert W. Chambers and I have played this card game multiple times and I love it. But it does not take a genius to see that this game may or may not be on its way out. I was wondering if it was gone as soon as they announced the Warhammer Invasion cancellation since unfortunately, it would be the next likely candidate. As much as I love the game, I won't buy into it unless I hear more about its future. I already made the mistake of investing in Thrones for my card pool to become obsolete. So in defense of the OP, I highly doubt new players will see this post and say "Because of this guy, I am not buying it". Any person with moderate intelligence will realize the potential of this games cancellation. 

I sincerely hope it doesn't happen because I really want to get into it, but until the time comes that I am confident of its future, I won't be putting my money in it.

MotoBuzzsawMF

MotoBuzzsawMF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

As a side note, if there is more product announced after the Hastur set, I will probably buy in. Starting with 3 cores and the hastur set, since that is the faction that I am most interested in. 

• LordTeacup likes this

GrahamM

GrahamM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

If that's your criterion, I don't think there's any need to convince you, since all of us but one firmly believe there will be a set after Hastur, and many of us have been with the game through much, much dicier periods of its history than this. Just wait and see.

That being said, you might want to experiment with some core sets before buying the Hastur box, just to make sure Hastur is really your favorite faction to play.

• MotoBuzzsawMF likes this

Panzerbjrn

Panzerbjrn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

But it does not take a genius to see that this game may or may not be on its way out.

I don't want to sound snarky, but are there *any* other options?

Those two are literally the only options...

I suspect, and this is purely speculation and I have no proof, that CoC is a long running steady money spinner for FFG, and most of the players are also Lovecraft fans in general, which is helping it stay alive.
Other games, I suspect, have fans that perhaps aren't as fanboyish about the IP or they have so many different related things to spend their money on, Like Star Wars for example.
FFG make quite a few Cthulhu related products, so it is in their interest to keep us interested and playing...

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

As much as I love the game, I won't buy into it unless I hear more about its future. I already made the mistake of investing in Thrones for my card pool to become obsolete.  Any person with moderate intelligence will realize the potential of this games cancellation. I sincerely hope it doesn't happen because I really want to get into it, but until the time comes that I am confident of its future, I won't be putting my money in it.

I guess you don't put your money into very many things then, because none of them come with promises of eternal support.  Didn't we JUST get done explaining that?

• MotoBuzzsawMF and emptyvacuum like this

MotoBuzzsawMF

MotoBuzzsawMF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

I don't want to sound snarky, but are there *any* other options?

Those two are literally the only options...

I suspect, and this is purely speculation and I have no proof, that CoC is a long running steady money spinner for FFG, and most of the players are also Lovecraft fans in general, which is helping it stay alive.
Other games, I suspect, have fans that perhaps aren't as fanboyish about the IP or they have so many different related things to spend their money on, Like Star Wars for example.
FFG make quite a few Cthulhu related products, so it is in their interest to keep us interested and playing...

I hear you, I guess I didn't word that as best I could. In a nutshell, I got into GoT around 6 to 8 months before it was announced that the game was being rebooted. So the 5 or 6 hundred I spent on it is now just collecting dust because no one in my area plays it due to it 1.0's cancellation. 

I don't want to invest in CoC and see the same result. Especially since I would have to work on building the meta in my area. 

MotoBuzzsawMF

MotoBuzzsawMF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

I guess you don't put your money into very many things then, because none of them come with promises of eternal support.  Didn't we JUST get done explaining that?

It isn't about the promise of eternal support. I understand that games come and go but to invest a good chunk of money on this game for its potential immanent cancellation would be a poor decision. You look at the game Netrunner and you can see with little research that it is going to be thriving for quite some time. Conquest had a stellar launch and is still building steam to be a very successful LCG. CoC is the grandfather of the group and would be the next likeliest to be cancelled. 

My point is, I saw and felt this worry before the OP pulled this thread up and I doubt this thread will cause someone to look at CoC and say "nope".

Wilbur

Wilbur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
Yes!

Wilbur

Wilbur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
Excellent!

Wilbur

Wilbur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
Understand that my posts have been 'moderated' to reflect the inclusive nature of our community.

TeaBags and BuzzSaw, you are terrible folks.
  • Jhaelen likes this

Wilbur

Wilbur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
Mr. TeaCup: thanks but no thanks... You're a vocal hate-monger. Uhmmm..... Please go away.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

It isn't about the promise of eternal support. I understand that games come and go but to invest a good chunk of money on this game for its potential immanent cancellation would be a poor decision. You look at the game Netrunner and you can see with little research that it is going to be thriving for quite some time. Conquest had a stellar launch and is still building steam to be a very successful LCG. CoC is the grandfather of the group and would be the next likeliest to be cancelled. 

All the other LCGs are much newer than Cthulhu.  So yes, it's better than even odds that Cthulhu is likely to be "next" to end.  That still doesn't mean it will be anytime soon though.  Nor is it guaranteed.  I have no doubt that Netrunner (being the most popular) and Conquest (being the newest until Thrones 2.0 comes out) will outlast it, but it's possible that either Lord of the Rings or Star Wars could fold first too.  Lord of the Rings occupies an odd place as a co-op game, and Star Wars seems to have perpetual balance issues, an unusually stale meta, and many people that don't like the pod-building concept.  Frankly, the Star Wars theme is the best thing it has going for it and is probably what's keeping it afloat.

Cthulhu is at the opposite end, it's got great gameplay but apparently the least-appreciated theme by the general gaming public.  It makes no difference to me whether you get into it or not, but if you look around you'll find that a surprising large amount of people who've played all the LCGs rate Cthulhu as one of the best.

So what if it does end sometime?  Are there not enough cards to keep you busy already?  If you pretended that it was of similar age to Netrunner, and from that point bought cards at one pack a month the way they'd come out new, you'd have years and years of "new releases" to look forward to before running out.  That doesn't even count any community-designed expansions which might come out.

One thing I can say with certainty.  There will be no Cthulhu reboot like what's happening with Thrones.  Cthulhu doesn't have the popularity to be able to pull it off.  It will live in its current form, exempt from rotation, until the end, when it will someday die as the oldest of all LCGs, likely by a significant margin.

• MotoBuzzsawMF and Cumber like this

Mulletcheese

Mulletcheese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1050 posts

Mr. TeaCup: thanks but no thanks... You're a vocal hate-monger. Uhmmm..... Please go away.

That's a bit harsh.

LordTeacup has done so much for the UK CoC scene, promoting the game and growing the meta from almost non-existence to one of the most popular LCG's. Without his active involvement the UK would not be getting a national this year.

The question of whether CoC is ending has been asked frequently since invasion was cancelled and in all that time LordTeacup has been encouraging people to buy into the game. It's a loss for the UK CoC community if he does advise players not to buy the game.

But I think the message that he is sending is that new players shouldn't expect the game to have a long life expectancy but that even when new content stops his store will continue to support the community with tournaments and prize support. If a potential player was put off by the risk of cancellation then that promise of continued support might convince them to buy in.

I don't think this was intended as another "the sky is falling" thread, it's more of a "I chatted with the CEO of FFG about cthulhu and this is what happened" thread. If I had that conversation I'd write a post about if too.
  • NuFenix, jasonconlon, VonWibble and 1 other like this

GrahamM

GrahamM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

This sort of thing can also scare new players away, I think. Everyone who plays Call of Cthulhu is awesome simply by virtue of playing the game, and I really appreciate how our little internet community by and large reflects that. Namecalling certainly isn't going to get people excited about what we do here, and for me, at least, it takes away some of the fun of reading the forums.

Obviously Call of Cthulhu gets everyone here really excited, its a really exciting game, but let's try to keep that excitement directed towards the game rather than each other.

• jasonconlon, MotoBuzzsawMF and Cumber like this

Libor

Libor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

I write from the point of view of man who did not buy and don´t play this game, but...

Who cares about the organized play? :)  Call of Cthulhu seems (and I´m sure really is) great card game! It has so large pool that I think you will have enough cards to build good and funny decks for the rest of your life if the game will end NOW (and as said, there is no evidence it will happen, altough it could, no one knows).

The reason I´m not in this game is not the old age of the game, the possibility of cancelation but the lack of players. It´s all about this thing: Do you have a group of 3-4 players around you? Then pick this game because its cardpool and deckbuilding possibilities are almost unlimited NOW!!! It´s about the thing you can / you can´t play due to the number of players around in your area.

Due to the deluxe model and house expansions it is the most new player friendly game amongst all LCG´s (and I looked at all of them and think I know something about each one although I did not play some of them). You don´t have to buy all, you don´t have to have 3 core sets (I read you don´t have to have core set at all), take the deluxes for all your favorite factions (it´s a very reasonable price in comparison with other LCGs) and play if you have the opportunity. Some doesn´t have.

• Cumber likes this

MatsuPancake

MatsuPancake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

So, as someone who started playing in March of this year and has about three months of time in the community, I knew this was an old game.  I knew that there was a possibility of cancellation.  I knew there were two more deluxes planned and then there was a big question mark.  I'm now seven asylum packs away from having a full set of every card currently in print, despite the possibility that in a few months I'll have collected a "dead" game.  This is one of the best customizable card games out there period.  We have a pretty dedicated fan base, and other games (Decipher's Star Wars and Ophidian 2350) somewhat survived their cancellation with fan created expansions.  I know I'm going to get many many many more years of fun out of my collection, and it's big enough I can recruit a group if I have to, although Mansfield, Ohio seems to house a pretty awesome group as is.

Now, on the bright side, CoC is an amazingly well designed game.  That gets it credit.  It's also a low cost license to maintain, and never overlook the fact that the people that make it really like it.  Two (or even one) deluxe expansions a year to appease a fan base like CoC's is a pretty easy pace to maintain, and God only knows the design space is there.  CoC has more unplumbed design space than almost any other game I've ever played, and it's already a complex and rich game with an expansive license.  They have material for pretty much forever, if they keep going at the current pace.  It's less of a matter of what Fantasy Flight has to gain from dropping CoC but more of a matter of what does it have to lose?  Since they're still pumping out cards, it must at least be selling, and they still have a bunch of asylum packs that if they did a PoD for, they would sell well (seriously, if you guys do end up canceling, please PoD the Summons of the Deep cycle first!).  Just the PoD options would be enough for adding another 6-8 months to CoC's lifetime, and even if they drop the game, supporting events couldn't be that hard.  It's not like they don't have other CoC games to use art from to print us pretty playmats and boxes.

• Jhaelen, MotoBuzzsawMF, Cumber and 1 other like this

LordTeacup

LordTeacup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

A well thought out and constructive addition to the thread.  Thanks Wilbur, I'll cherish your insight.  You have managed to irritate both the people who are interested in my post and also those who are against it, taking up a largely unrepresented middle ground of those who have nothing whatsoever to contribute.  Well done.  Kudos.

Meanwhile, back at the bat cave.

While the comments are mostly 'its not ending, you know nothing Jon Teacup' and that's fine and dandy, it really is, and its also par for the course so no one should be surprised or upset, what is of actual interest to me is the comments regarding 'What happens if...'  This is where the positive stuff is.  As an organiser and further to that an organiser of a game I really like to play, I want to see what can be done AFTER the event that will not happen, no, no, no actually happens.  What I'm seeing is a bunch of players who would definitely be interested in the legacy gaming that could follow.

To give you an example.  At our store we have a bunch of guys who play RAW DEAL every few months at our store.  They organise cup matches, royal rumbles and have also devised their own point system for deck building (Raw Deal is horribly broken).  They travel from all around the UK to do this and it proves that like minded players can keep a good game, even a broken game (which CoC is not) going for a long, long time.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

What I've seen for other card games that end is that if there is sufficient interest the community will form some sort of committee composed of high level players who want to continue the game.  They can work on fan expansions with new cards which players can then decide whether these are legal or not at their events/venues.  The rate of release is typically a lot slower, but at least it's something to look forward to.  Art I'm sure is an issue as well.

If Cthulhu ended then I presume that a call would go round and see who all is interested in being part of such an arrangement whether as designer, playtester, artist, the guy who knows how to properly format things for the print-on-demand site, etc...

• MotoBuzzsawMF and LordTeacup like this

LordTeacup

LordTeacup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

There was a fan made set for Raw Deal and as far as I'm aware it was considered to be pretty robust.  The lads at our store don't actually use it but they all consider it to be a valid set as it was so well thought it out.