Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

No news of the future of CoC

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

Skelton

Skelton

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2082 posts

In the unlikely event that CoC would get a reprint, I would buy into it again. A number of my gaming friends in Sheffield would play the game were it not for the huge cardpool. Much the same story as with AGoT.

Personally, I hope we carry on with the deluxe expansion method of distribution for some time yet. It keeps it casual and more importantly, keeps it cheap. I am under no illusion that the day will come when this game will come to an end but hopefully it wont be anytime soon. I want more deluxe expansions focused on some older themes as well as some new ones. That would be very cool.

• LordTeacup and Cumber like this

LordTeacup

LordTeacup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Its a real bind isn't it?  A reboot means a better chance of getting new players but could cast away veterans.  Expansions mean we are all happy but its a tough call to bring in new people and of course the threat of retirement will always hand unless FFG decide to state otherwise (that's saying it gets past November).

In this instance I would have to just go with the flow.  I'd rather be playing the game than not so I'll take it as it comes.

• VonWibble likes this

Skelton

Skelton

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2082 posts
The beautiful thing about CoC is that with just a few choice purchases you can have a top tier deck. No other LCG has that kind of availability (Conquest aside because it's new). A pair of core and a single deluxe is all you really need to build a solid, functional deck. That is how to hook those new players as you yourself know, Eddie. Then a steady purchase every month or so will open up new and exciting options. I loved joining this game later into it's life as there were loads of options compared to a newer LCG where decks look more alike.

I had better get back to deckbuilding. We have our learn to play event tomorrow and I only have 3 decks built so far.
  • Carthoris, MotoBuzzsawMF, Cumber and 1 other like this

NuFenix

NuFenix

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts
If you need any help on decks for tomorrow let me know what you're building from and I can try to plan something for you.
  • MotoBuzzsawMF likes this

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts

I want them to do a rotation where rotate out all the asylum packs and have just core set and all deluxe expansions only legal cards for one year and see if it gets a lot more people to try the game. Would be a nice test for ffg to see if just the huge card pool/cost is what keeping most people out. 

Panzerbjrn

Panzerbjrn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

I want them to do a rotation where rotate out all the asylum packs and have just core set and all deluxe expansions only legal cards for one year and see if it gets a lot more people to try the game. Would be a nice test for ffg to see if just the huge card pool/cost is what keeping most people out. 

It would be. The large pool of cards was one of the things that attracted me to the game in the first place...

Other than being Cthulhu themed which was #1 ^_^

• Carthoris, LordTeacup and Antaiseito like this

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts

No you can't automatically conclude the game would be more popular lets be honest for most people the Cthulhu theme isn't that appealing compared to the other lcgs. (Me included I had zero interest in the theme but feel in love with the mechanics). 

Sure may get more people to try it but not necessary more people to buy in and go to tournaments. 

• LordTeacup likes this

Panzerbjrn

Panzerbjrn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

No you can't automatically conclude the game would be more popular lets be honest for most people the Cthulhu theme isn't that appealing compared to the other lcgs. (Me included I had zero interest in the theme but feel in love with the mechanics). 

Sure may get more people to try it but not necessary more people to buy in and go to tournaments. 

Of course, without actually polling a statistically significant number of players, we have no way of establishing this, only pure speculation.

Personally I don't know anyone who plays it, that aren't playing it because of the theme. But since that is only 4 people...

• Antaiseito likes this

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

If there was a reboot, I'd have to see what the new version was like.  Maybe I'd collect it, maybe not.

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts

I would get into a reboot if they did one, however, I find it very very very unlikely will get a reboot. I don't know why would reboot a game that has never had a huge following.... 

Wilbur

Wilbur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
I apologize for my aggressive tone the other day. We Yanks are not used to talking to mighty lords and ladies, and struggle at times to show proper deference.
However, it seems a bit unfair when individuals put out provocative, inflammatory points of view, ostensibly in the name of 'dialogue', but then refuse to listen and respond to the measured and reasonable responses their remarks elicit. Insistence that 'no, you guys don't understand; if you did, you'd agree I'm correct' isn't dialogue, it's grandstanding.
That said, this thread does seem to have settled into an actual dialogue since then...

LordTeacup

LordTeacup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

I would get into a reboot if they did one, however, I find it very very very unlikely will get a reboot. I don't know why would reboot a game that has never had a huge following.... 

Yup.  Financially CoC has only ever been a survivor, not a leader, compared with the others.  Itswill be a real shame to see it go under, if thats the case, when something like a solid presence is starting to grow.  I can't speak for the USA of course, only for the UK, but we are certainly feeling a very positive vibe for the game

KingMob

KingMob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I wouldn't want to see a reboot. I would like to see every faction with a deluxe box and then make the Asylum Packs illegal for tournament play (casual play still fine, of course). It would get more people interested with a smaller card pool but equal power among factions. Then any subsequent releases could be deluxe boxes with a theme and equal distribution among factions. 

• Carthoris and Cumber like this

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

I wouldn't want to see a reboot. I would like to see every faction with a deluxe box and then make the Asylum Packs illegal for tournament play (casual play still fine, of course).

That's an interesting idea.  I could definitely see this working for the regular tournament season, including store championships, and then allowing the entire card pool for regionals, nationals and the world championship.

I don't know if I'd want to make Asylum Packs illegal for all tournaments as there are quite a few fun/iconic cards in them (Mr. David Pan, Khopesh of the Abyss and Stygian Eye come to mind) and players who purchased all those packs should get to use them at some point.

KingMob

KingMob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I don't know if I'd want to make Asylum Packs illegal for all tournaments as there are quite a few fun/iconic cards in them (Mr. David Pan, Khopesh of the Abyss and Stygian Eye come to mind) and players who purchased all those packs should get to use them at some point.

I think this underscores why they should be made illegal. While I love them as much as the next Cultist, they can really discourage new players from coming on board because they are overwhelmed by the packs they need to buy to be semi-competitive. Just my 2 cents. 

Mulletcheese

Mulletcheese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1047 posts
TO's can already choose to run deluxe only tournaments, we don't need FFG to tell us they should be mandatory.

A lot of players are drawn to the depth of the card pool, removing the asylum packs may be new player friendly but it's a blow to the long time players and won't greatly increase the uptake in the game.

LordTeacup

LordTeacup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Tournaments without Asylum Packs are good for existing meta's to use occasionally, especially to allow new players to get a look in.

• Mulletcheese and Carthoris like this

Jhaelen

Jhaelen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

Deluxes forever isn't an option, even if we get a few more years of releases it will have to end eventually.

Uh, why?

I'd be happy to get new Deluxe sets 'forever'.

Regarding a version 2.0 like AGoT: I'd be out. I'd be happy to have a complete set of cards for version 1.0 of the LCG, but I'd not be interested in starting to collect cards for virtually the same game again.

I could imagine a reboot might be nice for new players who'd be interested in CoC but are unwilling to get into it because they're intimidated by the large card pool (or the amount of existing errata). But would there be enough potential players to make it profitable for FFG?

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

Running occasional limited format tournaments is a good idea and brings variety, but this can easily be done at the local level and with far more creativity than a blanket "no asylum packs" rule.   Forcing it on everyone would be oppressive and annoy players.

It's easy to say "you can always ignore it at your local level" but I've found in all games with a tournament scene (whether cards, minis, etc...) that people prefer to mostly play the official format rather than spent too much time practicing an illegal game that will throw them off when it comes time to attend official tournaments that DO play by the rules.

• Antaiseito likes this

Corwin81

Corwin81

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Ok it is unpleasant to see this topic still sitting at the top of the CoC forum.

I was hoping people would let it sink since it is essentially about the absence of news of any sort, but well...

I'd like to sum up the way I see it.

Either a.) you're not attracted by the game, don't intend to play etc... and questioning the future of the game is quite pointless, you should debate the merits of the game instead, if anything

Or b.) you are attracted by the game, would like to see it continue, and then the question that matters really is how to make it happen.

Now some comments to a collection of interesting points raised throughout the topic.

1) FFG is widely committed to Call of Cthulhu games; they benefit from marketing synergies across games in the same universe and save money by exploiting a free licence almost a century old and recycling artwork. If they let one of these games die, they will lose synergies and profitability for the other CoC games will decrease.

2) Card pool size or age of the game is not the real problem; new players are still picking up Magic the Gathering now, and I don't need to explain how difficult it is for beginners to catch up. Wizards policy to address the issue has been the creation of different tournament formats, rapid rotation and more recently, release of "best of" editions with no crap filler cards whatsoever (Modern Masters, which was a massive success). I do not support a solution of multiple formats or any rotation for CoC: a unified, eternal format seems preferable for a smaller game with more limited audience, and way more enjoyable for deck building. It does not prevent from organizing draft events either.

However reedition of the good unavailable cards, and only the good ones routinely used in competitive decks, is definitely the way to go.

To help players access cards for non-reprinted asylum packs, FFG should progressively re-edit the 10-20% of truly playable cards from these APs, with new artwork, as a small fraction of upcoming Deluxe boxes. The print-on-demand of old APs is a bad fix, unpractical and economically inefficient for everyone - FFG included.

3) Quarterly release of Deluxe is largely sufficient to keep everyone interested, by the way I really enjoy the steady, moderate expense it takes to stay in this game unlike... pretty much every other card game around. This is a very underrated selling point for new players.

4) In conclusion, it just boils down the the ability of this community to renew itself and recruit new players. Yes, us. If we succeed there, there's no need to worry about termination of CoC LCG anytime soon. Hence I'll post right away a constructive topic to share strategies on how to create and grow player groups for CoC LCG.

• Greynomad38, Carthoris, GrahamM and 3 others like this