Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Playing against Cthulhu with a Syndicate deck

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Looks good to me!

Immurement is worth keeping.  It's a tactic and it's your only support card control.  Other than the Sewer Rats, you have limited direct removal for troublesome characters (such as Carl Stanford, Gustaf or Ravager from the Deep if your opponent is mostly playing Cthulhu) so it can potentially save you the game.

I find Immurement can be useful as a first-turn hit (before resourcing, so you only have to drain a 1-resource domain) to remove an initial character, and then play a character with investigation to go in unopposed.

My suggestion is to play this deck several times before making any tweaks (between 3-5 games).  During play you'll start to learn which cards work for your playing style and which don't, what you want to see in your opening hand, if there are any interesting card synergies you missed on first glance but reveal themselves in play, and if there are any holes your opponent is constantly exploiting.  Then come back here and share with us how it went.

Good hunting!

sparkyUK71

sparkyUK71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Yes sorry about that

Total Cards: (57)

Character: (36)

Support: (7)

Event: (14)

Conspiracy: (0)

and this is what I've changed

-1 Sarnath

-1 Extortionist

-3 Clover Club Ringer

-2 The Clover Club

-2 Outmaneuvered

-1 Naomi O'Bannion

+1 La Bella Luna

+3 Feint

and thanks for the On the Lam explanation, that will be useful

sparkyUK71

sparkyUK71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Looks good to me!

Immurement is worth keeping.  It's a tactic and it's your only support card control.  Other than the Sewer Rats, you have limited direct removal for troublesome characters (such as Carl Stanford, Gustaf or Ravager from the Deep if your opponent is mostly playing Cthulhu) so it can potentially save you the game.

I find Immurement can be useful as a first-turn hit (before resourcing, so you only have to drain a 1-resource domain) to remove an initial character, and then play a character with investigation to go in unopposed.

My suggestion is to play this deck several times before making any tweaks (between 3-5 games).  During play you'll start to learn which cards work for your playing style and which don't, what you want to see in your opening hand, if there are any interesting card synergies you missed on first glance but reveal themselves in play, and if there are any holes your opponent is constantly exploiting.  Then come back here and share with us how it went.

Good hunting!

Ok I will so the list I have now is good to go?

sparkyUK71

sparkyUK71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

One other thing, when a card is destroyed and goes in the discard pile I can't bring it back unless I have a card like Naomi O'Bannion that says search your discard pile for a tactic card and return to your deck, but if it's been destroyed I can't do that can I? my oppo once played the card even death may die and that would let me bring a card back into the deck so I'm confused, and also with the sacrifice thin as well, I know the rules say destroy and sacrifice are different but is there a difference in terms of what you can bring back from the discard pile?

Obtuse

Obtuse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts
Sacrifice and destroy put things in the discard pile. There are a number of cards scattered throughout the card pool that will recur things from the discard pile. Some of those cards let you bring things to hand, some even directly into play from the discard!

There are other effects that will remove cards from the game and use that specific wording. Cards removed in this way can never be brought back.

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Wound, destroy, sacrifice, discard - these are all different ways to remove cards from play, and they all send those cards to your discard pile.

For example, your opponent plays Deep One Assault on your Naomi O'Bannion.  She is destroyed and goes to the discard pile.  If you have a card that allows you to search your discard pile for a character (and perhaps return it to your hand or put it into play), then you could choose Naomi.  Once a card is in the discard pile it has no memory of how it got there.

However, Even Death May Die is unique.  It doesn't remove a card from play (i.e. sends it to the discard pile).  Instead, it removes it from the game altogether which means nothing can bring it back into play.  This is very rare in Cthulhu, and only cards that say "remove from the game" don't send cards to your discard pile.  Everything else that removes a card from play sends it to the discard pile where it's perfectly legal to use another card to fetch it.

Last note, when you play a tactic (an event card) it's not destroyed.  Destroy is a specific type of removal, not a generic word for a card leaving play.  Remember that CoC's wording is very specific - wound, destroy, sacrifice, discard, remove from play and remove from the game are not interchangeable terms.

Events are cards that trigger an effect and then leave play.  Once it's in your discard pile you could use Naomi's ability to trigger it from there.  In the case you described above, if your opponent had attached Even Death May Die to your discard pile, then the tactic card would be removed from the game instead of going to the discard pile as usual.  Then Even Death May Die would receive a fated token (i.e. it can trigger this effect up to 4 times total).

And yes, I think your list is good to go.  You just need to give it a fun name.  I have a similar deck that focus on Criminals and Day called "Daylight Savings Crime."  What's the name of your deck?

sparkyUK71

sparkyUK71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
It's a bit boring but I've called it O'Bannion's inner workings?

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
The Day aspect is why the deck I made for the boxed set was called the Clover Club Lunch Special too :) Thumbs up for crimes in the daytimes!
  • Yipe likes this

sparkyUK71

sparkyUK71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
How about daylight robbery?

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

The Day aspect is why the deck I made for the boxed set was called the Clover Club Lunch Special too :) Thumbs up for crimes in the daytimes!

That's a great deck name, dboeren.

As for this deck, hmm... some possibilities based on your important themes (O'Bannion's Inner Council and replaying tactics for free):

Scare Tactics

Boardroom Brawl

Free Counseling

Wartime Consigliere

sparkyUK71

sparkyUK71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
I don't have any day cards do I? Only the crooked attorney to make it day and la Bella Luna to take advantage of it being day?

NuFenix

NuFenix

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

Crooked Attorney is a Day card, which is how he makes it Day.

All cards which make it Day or Night constantly are themselves Day or Night in bold too.

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Day cards will have the following text:

"Day.  It is Day.  Destroy all Night cards."

Night has the same text, but just the opposite.

Some cards, such as La Belle Luna, will reference the Day/Night mechanic with text such as "If it is Day, do X."  These aren't Day/Night cards because they don't have the text I specified above.  They can't make it Day/Night and aren't destroyed if your opponent makes it the opposite time of day.

sparkyUK71

sparkyUK71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Ok so crooked attorney could be destroyed but I have two? So I need to make sure I don't resource him so if first one is removed I can play the second one to make it day again?

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

With only 1 La Bella Luna in your deck, making it Day isn't all that important (though he is a great card that boosts all of your Criminals).  If you end up resourcing him that's probably okay.

sparkyUK71

sparkyUK71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Ok thanks guys, much appreciated 😊 👍

sparkyUK71

sparkyUK71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
was also looking at patsy v anarchist? the ability to remove two tokens is good right? especially if it stops my opponent winning a deciding story? any thoughts?

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

I like Patsy (as well as Fall Guy who is another sacrifice to do X character), but I've found they work best in a deck that allows you to replay them to keep your opponent locked down.

For example, pairing them with Shub for Hungry Dark Young or Corrupted Midwife gets you more mileage out of their abilities.  Another good option is to run Silver Twilight (which pairs nicely with Syndicate) to use B. Ramsdale Brown to bring Pasty back more than once in a single turn.

And if you're going with a character recursion deck, than Hack Journalist can be fun.

My deck-building skills are adequate but not exemplary, so perhaps someone else has found other ways to leverage these characters?

NuFenix

NuFenix

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

For recursion tricks with cheap characters, Rite of the Silver Key is king of the hill, though the steadfast 3 can be an issue early game.

In terms of Patsy vs Anarchist, it is a case of a defensive card vs an offensive card.

Patsy simply delays an opponent winning a story, which could be enough to allow you to win it the following turn, but otherwise he is a 1 skill character who adds no icons, and won't want to be wounded or driven insane during a story.

Anarchist meanwhile gives you combat and investigation, but more crucially he is Fast, so it mean you opponent will need their own character with Fast, or to beat you on icons for story struggles. The disadvantage is that he is cost 2, which means on the first turn you wouldn't be able to have more than one, unlike Patsy.

It would depend on how many other 1 cost and 2 cost characters you intend to use, in terms of which to use in a deck.

sparkyUK71

sparkyUK71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Thanks for that but I don't have the silver twilight box set, I was think of a pair with shub but as yipe has said I need to play some games with this deck first