Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Playing against Cthulhu with a Syndicate deck

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

I agree with NuFenix that Anarchist is better suited to what you have now, which is a fast-paced aggressive deck.  That's why I suggested tossing him into the deck in the first place.  He's a good early game drop alongside Lena or Jacob, especially if you can Intimidate an opposing character or use Lena to steal terror/more combat.

sparkyUK71

sparkyUK71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

ok great, thanks

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

Patsy can be quite good, but as NuFenix points out "good" on its own is not always as important as "fits my deck".  He's not really that direct a comparison to Anarchist because they serve different roles and also have different costs.  Different costs doesn't always mean that cards aren't comparable but I find that cost 1 cards are significantly different than cost 2 because they're usually something you play in addition to your other cards rather than instead of.

I don't usually play Patsy in a recurring role.  This is likely just playstyle differences, it's certainly isn't wrong.  But, to play him non-recurring will take more timing which as a beginner you won't have much of yet :)  Basically, I use him in several roles:

1.  Go insane to protect my other guys form Terror

2.  Send him alone to stories and use his ability as an escape clause if my opponent is going to win combat (or as bait to lure someone into a Black Dog or other pop-in card).  He'll pull defenders whose effort is usually wasted but if they don't then you gain tokens.

3.  Use him to remove  tokens - the obvious thing to do

But, removing tokens isn't worth a darn thing unless doing so will let you flip the story from their side to yours, or less commonly, delay the game long enough to win in some other method.  So you can't just use it indiscriminately, you've got to predict ahead what's going to happen with the story and whether it will pay off.  Otherwise you're just sacrificing him for no real gain.

So yeah, basically Patsy is trickier to use than Anarchist whose strengths are very face-value.  In a well developed card pool, Anarchist tends to get glossed over for his low skill, but with what you've got he's worthy enough and Fast is pretty handy as well as fitting in with an overall aggressive approach.

sparkyUK71

sparkyUK71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
This deck is going to cause me problems deciding what to keep/resource as there are so many useful cards I want to keep! I can see it happening?

Unnamable

Unnamable

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

One of the signs of a well constructed deck!  :rolleyes:

This deck is going to cause me problems deciding what to keep/resource as there are so many useful cards I want to keep! I can see it happening?

• Nightmare588 and sparkyUK71 like this

sparkyUK71

sparkyUK71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Dboeren: So is anarchist more of a support I'm not sure when to play him?

sparkyUK71

sparkyUK71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
[/quote]Anarchist tends to get glossed over for his low skill, but with what you've got he's worthy enough and Fast is pretty handy as well as fitting in with an overall aggressive approach.[/quote]

Does the Fast thing work very often I don't think I've come across it yet as my characters are destroyed before that!

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

Well, considering that you're trying to get other cards out too, it often boils down to which of two options are better at the moment.

If you have an open 2-domain with nothing more important to play and he's your only cost 2 guy, then it's easy.  Play the Anarchist.

If you've got more than one cost 2 card, then you've got to make a judgement of which will be more useful.  It's going to depend on a lot of things.  What you've got out already, the current board position, etc...  For the most part, just make a call and whether you make the right pick or the wrong one, you'll learn by watching and seeing what happens.

Anarchist has decent icons w/ Fast, so he will help immediately with icon struggles, but that's all he does - he has no special abilities.  If his icons and Fast will grab you some good tokens right now, then he's likely a good choice.  If not, like if you're not in a position to go to stories right now, then maybe someone else will work out better (depending what your other options are).

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

I'm not dboeren (obviously), but here's how I use Anarchist/what I like about him:

Anarchist is a straightforward character, with Investigation being his most important feature.

He's 1 of 8 characters in your deck that has Investigation (and the only non-unique character with it).  Investigation can be critical to fast decks like yours, so he's either a great way to get a jump on the stories (play him early), or to place that final success token on a story if things are turning into a slog (play him late).  When I draw him mid-game I'm more likely to play a character like Naomi, Hatchet Man or the Torch Singer, so he may get resourced at that time.

I generally use Anarchist with a buddy.  For example, Clover Club Pit Boss and Anarchist make a natural combo.  Both now have Willpower, and you're bringing 3 Combat + Fast and Investigation.  For a pair of 2-cost characters that's pretty decent.

He also works well as a 1st turn drop alongside Lena.  Use your remaining 1-resource domain to power up Lena to steal Terror or Combat to protect them (or actually win terror due to Anarchist's Fast).

If playing him as an opener and you don't have Lena, then try to remove your opponent's characters so Anarchist can go to a story unopposed.  Cards like Intimidate, Immurement and On the Lam are perfect for this.  And don't forget about Feint.  Though it works better with Diseased Sewer Rats and Henry Knoll, Feint also removes a combat icon.  If you bring their character down to 1 combat then Anarchist will wound them due to Fast.  Because Feint is free, you can drain all of your domains on turn 1 (perhaps to play Jacob Finnegan and an Intimidate, leaving their only blocker as a character you can reduce to 1 or 0 Combat icons) and make it look like you're out of tricks.  If they commit to block, hit them with Feint, kill their character and put up to 4 success tokens on the story (Anarchist + Jacob) in a single sweep.

If I have a lot of characters on the board then sometimes I will attack multiple stories simultaneously (hoping to put up 3 success tokens with the Anarchist).  If my opponent decides to block Anarchist and not the other characters (driving him insane or killing him) that's fine, he's relatively cheap and expendable.

Right now it seems you're focused on playing against mono-Cthulhu, but on his own Anarchist can be quite effective against decks without terror, and his Investigation + Fast can give Miskatonic or Silver Twilight problems.

This isn't to say Anarchist isn't without drawbacks.  His printed Skill 1 is a definite weakness against certain match-ups and he can go insane, but that's why he only costs 2.

sparkyUK71

sparkyUK71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
So if you draw combat the anarchist would win because of the Fast thing? The same would apply to the investigation icon?

sparkyUK71

sparkyUK71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
So much info thank you! You guys are the best! Thanks for putting up with my questions and taking the time to reply with quite extensive replies

sparkyUK71

sparkyUK71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
I over played one hand recently committing 3 characters to a story to ensure I would win but overlooked the fact he didn't have any in play so I needn't have, my opponent said all he could have done was play an event card? But can't he play cards from his hand anyway?

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

So if you draw combat the anarchist would win because of the Fast thing? The same would apply to the investigation icon?

Correct.  If you have more characters with Fast committed to the story than your opponent, then you win all ties.  Fast is a Syndicate speciality, so you will typically have more Fast than your opponents (Tommy Malloy, Martin Herring and Anarchist are the Fast characters in your deck I believe).

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

I over played one hand recently committing 3 characters to a story to ensure I would win but overlooked the fact he didn't have any in play so I needn't have, my opponent said all he could have done was play an event card? But can't he play cards from his hand anyway?

In most cases you can only play character and support cards during your Operations phase (see page 13 of the rulebook for a timing chart on when the different phases occur).

You can play event cards on either turn.  Again, see page 13.  It shows all the different times you can play events/take actions.  I recommend making a copy of this page and keeping it next to you during your games, it's very handy.  For new players I laminate miniaturized versions of the timing chart and give them away as player aids.  After you have a few more games under you're belt you'll find that a big part of winning at Cthulhu is timing - knowing when to play events or trigger character abilities - and this is doubly true for the Syndicate faction.

Note, there are some characters and support cards that allow you to bypass the normal play restrictions and bring them into play outside the Operations Phase,  such as on your opponent's turn as a surprise move.

A good example of this is Tommy Malloy.  You pay 2 and play him from your hand already committed to a story.  You can do this on your turn or during your opponent's.

If your opponent focuses on the Cthulhu faction, then other good examples of characters popping into play at strange times are Dreamlands Fanatic and Uroborus.

sparkyUK71

sparkyUK71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
A smaller copy of the timings would be good, is it A5 size? There's so much to think about!

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Here's what I use:

Universal Head's Call of Cthulhu Rules Summary

I printed off pages 4 and 5, then cut them out and laminated them together to create a double-sided stick that's the perfect size for use during a game.

blinovitch

blinovitch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Here's what I use:

Universal Head's Call of Cthulhu Rules Summary

I printed off pages 4 and 5, then cut them out and laminated them together to create a double-sided stick that's the perfect size for use during a game.

Universal Head's now keeping up their reference sheets over here: http://www.orderofga...-the-card-game/

sparkyUK71

sparkyUK71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Thank you, was going to post that Yipe's link didn't work

How many success tokens is it possible to achieve in one turn? an example could be

1x token for winning investigation struggle

1x token for winning skill

1x token for being unchallenged at a story (this bit i'm not sure on? unchallenged seems to say in the book if your opponents skill is zero or less, then you get a token, but what if the opponent hasn't committed any cards to the story anyway? do you still get a token?)

1x token if you succeed at a story where Jacob Finnegan is committed 

so that's a potential of 4 tokens right? 

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Strange, the link works for me.  Here is the BoardGameGeek link:

Universal Head's Cthulhu Rules Summary

sparkyUK71

sparkyUK71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Strange, the link works for me. Here is the BoardGameGeek link:

Universal Head's Cthulhu Rules Summary

that works for me know but I can't download anything?