Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Attack Run up on CardgameDB

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
334 replies to this topic

tierdal

tierdal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2344 posts

My biggest challenege is how to include marrek...his event is so good.

pantsyg

pantsyg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

I actually just don't know what to do with Vader TBH. Too many fighter sets all competing for space. The support sets like Training Procedures or Superior Numbers make some builds harder. Empire's Elite is also kind of support but feels so necessary.

Of course the old guard of Defence and Kuat have the Talon Rolls. Playing without them is so hard.

Also I just can't get past Maarek Stele. It's easily my favourite DS pilot set. The only problem is that Stele requires vehicles that aren't in his set but he is the surgeon. He is the master of dealing with the empires enemies by just blowing up their stuff and pushing the game towards it's inevitable conclusion. He is the Superlaser that doesn't need a Death Star or an ambitious Grand Moff.

I just built my latest Maarek Stele deck. So much fun.
Scum
2x Masterful Manipulation
2x Emperor's Web
2x Black Squadron Formation
2x Black Squadron Assault
2x Emperor's Sword

I was tempted to go with Mara over Xizor so it could be an Emperor's Hands deck. I didn't go Vader because I needed a resource. Xizor has the headhunter and is a better fortress defender so that is why he won out over Mara. It's got some nice tech against vehicles and fighters as well as removal for pesky LS units. I feel like it's a much stronger deck than the fighter deck I was playing earlier for Maarek Stele.

This is pretty clever. I like the inclusion of multiple tactics units to give Stele his shot at objectives. I was considering something like this, but running Jawas to clear the way for a Maarek bomb. With Emp and Xizor, you're less reliant on 181st to take the force. 

pantsyg

pantsyg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

My biggest challenege is how to include marrek...his event is so good.

I've stuck him straight into Sith Control shells before and had success; 4 Heat of Battle is nothing to sniff at. He's also nice in the old-school Targeted Sith build, the Attack Squad really benefits from both Maarek and the Concussion Missiles. 

I've actually enjoyed all of the DS pilot sets (minus Niles, which I see as more of a tech set), though Maarek is way more versatile than most of them. 

• chunkygorillas likes this

Solaris

Solaris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1241 posts

I just made my Vader into a mono Navy, because I don't want to use Black Squadron just because they're Black Squadron:

Affiliation: 
Imperial Navy 

Objective: (10)
2x Defense Protocol (Core 30-1)
2x The Empire’s Elite (Ready for Takeoff 144-1)
2x Guarding the Wing (Draw Their Fire 150-1)
2x Training Procedures (Evasive Maneuvers 154-1)
2x Defending the Trench (Attack Run 159-1)

I'm thinking about taking out 1 TP for a Kuat Reinforcements. More testing is needed.

IdeYoshiya

IdeYoshiya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

I actually just don't know what to do with Vader TBH. Too many fighter sets all competing for space. The support sets like Training Procedures or Superior Numbers make some builds harder. Empire's Elite is also kind of support but feels so necessary.

I'm fond of the Black Squadron theme that's being pushed in this cycle, and just taking that one idea to its logical extreme. Like this:

Affiliation: Sith
1x Black Squadron Assault

2x Black Squadron Formation
1x Defending the Trench

2x Defense Protocol

2x Guarding the Wing

2x Kuat Reinforcements

This build gives you a good 7-3 spread between Navy and Sith, and includes a lot of the key synergy between Black Squadron units.

tierdal

tierdal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2344 posts

I've stuck him straight into Sith Control shells before and had success; 4 Heat of Battle is nothing to sniff at. He's also nice in the old-school Targeted Sith build, the Attack Squad really benefits from both Maarek and the Concussion Missiles. 

I've actually enjoyed all of the DS pilot sets (minus Niles, which I see as more of a tech set), though Maarek is way more versatile than most of them. 

And having a shielding 3 helath defender aint nothing to scoff at either, i like him in executor builds 

Jarratt

Jarratt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3660 posts

And having a shielding 3 helath defender aint nothing to scoff at either, i like him in executor builds

I get it but I don't think it's worth it. the Executor is such a massive commitment to then drop Stele on it as well is trying too hard. I haven't actually tried it but it seems like it's a lot of work to maybe get 2 damage from a sacrifice. I just feel that you might be gimping the rest of you deck because you suddenly need a ton on resources and the other vehicle pods that also help Stele don't really have a lot of resources.

Delta One is pretty solid. Absolutely awesome against vehicle decks and a bit overcosted against character decks. It is one of the best fighters for the Concussion Missiles though because it give it 3 black guns to defend with. More if they attack with more but 3 should be enough most of the time.

I just sort of feel that if you aren't running Hybrid fighters you aren't getting the most out of the set. And running Stele and Executor means you are likely running a character mains deck.

The only thing I don't like about the set is the art on Stele himself. I dream of a full bleed for him.
  • tierdal likes this

TheMAC

TheMAC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

I just made my Vader into a mono Navy, because I don't want to use Black Squadron just because they're Black Squadron:

Affiliation: 
Imperial Navy 

Objective: (10)
2x Defense Protocol (Core 30-1)
2x The Empire’s Elite (Ready for Takeoff 144-1)
2x Guarding the Wing (Draw Their Fire 150-1)
2x Training Procedures (Evasive Maneuvers 154-1)
2x Defending the Trench (Attack Run 159-1)

I'm thinking about taking out 1 TP for a Kuat Reinforcements. More testing is needed.

I found out that guarding the wing is not that wonderful even if it offers more black squadron. I tested with them out and 1X superior number and 1X imperial command. The lastest might not be seen first choice but a 2 resource set with an enhancement that gives a blast had helped a lot. Sad thing is your stuck with 2 troopers that you have to throw away. In  sith tie I include counsel of the sith for the same reasons, but as mentionned before I prefer navy one.

Jarratt

Jarratt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3660 posts

I found out that guarding the wing is not that wonderful even if it offers more black squadron. I tested with them out and 1X superior number and 1X imperial command. The lastest might not be seen first choice but a 2 resource set with an enhancement that gives a blast had helped a lot. Sad thing is your stuck with 2 troopers that you have to throw away. In sith tie I include counsel of the sith for the same reasons, but as mentionned before I prefer navy one.

Sadly Guarding the Wing brings 1 trick to the table and resource ramping for units that don't really need it. I just don't know if that 1 trick, no matter how good, is worth putting this set in for.

Solaris

Solaris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1241 posts

I found out that guarding the wing is not that wonderful even if it offers more black squadron. I tested with them out and 1X superior number and 1X imperial command. The lastest might not be seen first choice but a 2 resource set with an enhancement that gives a blast had helped a lot. Sad thing is your stuck with 2 troopers that you have to throw away. In  sith tie I include counsel of the sith for the same reasons, but as mentionned before I prefer navy one.

Sadly Guarding the Wing brings 1 trick to the table and resource ramping for units that don't really need it. I just don't know if that 1 trick, no matter how good, is worth putting this set in for.

Yeah, Guarding the Wing isn't that great, but I only put it in when I go mono and took out Black Squadron Assault & Formation. Maybe replacing 2 of them with Kuat Reinforcement is another option.

IdeYoshiya

IdeYoshiya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

I found out that guarding the wing is not that wonderful even if it offers more black squadron. I tested with them out and 1X superior number and 1X imperial command.

Just pointing this out, but neither of those objectives contain Black Squadron cards. Naturally Guarding the Wing's Black Squadron synergies become less effective for each objective without Black Squadron you include - and I do think this is the main benefit Vader's set brings to the table.

TheMAC

TheMAC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

The only card really working with black squadron in defending the trench is vader's tie. The original list contained 16 black squadron cards. Even with this number you have to draw the tie, strike and actually flip one of those. I could be great but I prefer the reliability of precision flying or extra tallon roll that will actually help every time you draw them.

Arkard

Arkard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1098 posts

Have you guys tried a navy - scum build? Mayne something like below, that gets use out of Boba with recursion and Fel's set. Maybe the Black Squadron synergy is too weak there, though. Still, I think Boba is a better pod than the Sith BS pod with the pilot enchancement.

- 2x fel

- 2x pilot vader

- 2x guarding the wing

- 2x boba

- 1x best credits can buy

- 1x defense protocol

BobaFett

BobaFett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Have you guys tried a navy - scum build? Mayne something like below, that gets use out of Boba with recursion and Fel's set. Maybe the Black Squadron synergy is too weak there, though. Still, I think Boba is a better pod than the Sith BS pod with the pilot enchancement.

- 2x fel
- 2x pilot vader
- 2x guarding the wing
- 2x boba
- 1x best credits can buy
- 1x defense protocol

I've got a similar deck I've been running but I don't think guarding the wing is a good choice at all. It has no synergy with any sets other then Vader's set.

I was playing 2x Fett, 2 xizor, 2x defense protocol, 2x Fel, and 2x defending the trench. I need a lot more plays with it, but it's got quality pilots all around for the interceptors, 4 stay on targets, 4 pilot resources, some twists, and decent edge counts.

I tried virago, but xizor is such a better unit and still comes with head hunters, and scheme plus I have you now is a good combo, plus you have 10 fate cards for the tie attack squadron to go off.

Another set I wouldn't mind including is merc support. Gives you another way to drop Boba fett onto a vehicle at action speed and gives you anther vehicle for him, in just not sure if it's better than xizor in the deck.

Another option is to run 3 to 4 sets of navy and 6-7 scum, but then you run into issues with affiliation if you want xizor in there, but you could always run something like 2x Fel, 1x or 2x Vader (or defense protocol), 2x fett, 2x virago, 1x merc support, and 1 or 2 of something else scum. I guess you could still run 2x xizor, and hope to flip masterful into a navy set of your locked out, but that can make for dinner need first turns. I like the other set up better though. At least for now, till I get more testing in.
  • Arkard likes this

Arkard

Arkard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1098 posts

It isn't actually all that rare to trigger Vader's Tie's BS reaction even with just 4x BS sets. I don't know if that's a good reason enough to run Guarding the Wing in a deck like that, but it's something. DS-61-3 on the other hand seems like a strong card to play in both a control and an attacking deck, and it's an another (basically free) pilot.

Still can't decide if just taking out the Bobas and switching to the BS Mauler sets makes for a better deck. I think Boba is too strong to not play in pretty much any DS vehicles deck, though.