Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Community-made Unofficial Strategy Guide for SW:TCG

- - - - - Strategy unofficial community

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

TheEmpireBringsSexyBack

TheEmpireBringsSexyBack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

'aggro' comes from 'aggro crag' from the early 90s television show nickelodeon guts.  it was basically American gladiators for childes.  the aggro crag was the final event/obstacle on the show, and was a big foam mountain 3 childes would race to the top.  fast kid win.  aggro decks want to win fast, so someone borrowed the term from nickelodeon guts to describe them, and it stuck and went viral.  and the rest is history

• Rio, tierdal and TheEmpireBringsSexyBack like this

Fayde

Fayde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

I meant Aggression, sorry!

I always thought Aggro decks were generally the opposite of speed decks. Aggro example would be Navy Captial Ships like Devastator and Executor. Speed decks would be lots of cheap, weaker units that you can quickly swarm with like Trooper decks. I could be wrong, but that was always my understanding. However, again, that is why I am posting this and using the community to help.
Aggro = hard hitting units
Speed = Spamming cheap units, or a quick "mana curve", it use Magic terminology.

pantsyg

pantsyg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

I meant Aggression, sorry!

I always thought Aggro decks were generally the opposite of speed decks. Aggro example would be Navy Captial Ships like Devastator and Executor. Speed decks would be lots of cheap, weaker units that you can quickly swarm with like Trooper decks. I could be wrong, but that was always my understanding. However, again, that is why I am posting this and using the community to help.
Aggro = hard hitting units
Speed = Spamming cheap units, or a quick "mana curve", it use Magic terminology.

I've always used the term to refer to any strategy that tries to win quickly, before the other player has a chance to find and set up their win condition. In SWLCG, this translates to decks that try to blow up objectives as quickly as possible, like Rebels, some TIE decks, and blast-heavy Navy builds. This is in contrast to decks like Jedi and Sith, who are more interested in building a board while removing or controlling the opponent's.
  • BobaFett likes this

Fayde

Fayde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Pantsyg,
Okay, as long as there is a general consensus about the term, and again, I am unable to play OP games, so I wouldn't know how the term is used for this specific game. Thanks for the input. I will change it!

Fayde

Fayde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Additional terms:

OP: Organized Play. Typically referring to tournament games in which the game is played competitively rather than causally.

Meta (Metagame): A term that refers to the current trends and game state that are popularly used in Organized Play. The Meta is not implied by the rules of the game, but rather current card interactions that work well with the current card pool.

Card Pool: The cards (and may refer to Objective Sets rather than individual cards) that are currently available from which to build decks.

PBrennan

PBrennan

Conquest Rules Arbitrator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 874 posts

There's a thread in the Conquest forum that covers a lot of the generic terms:

http://www.cardgamed...tly-used-terms/

• Fayde likes this

pantsyg

pantsyg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

There's a thread in the Conquest forum that covers a lot of the generic terms:

http://www.cardgamed...tly-used-terms/

Man, those Conquest guys are well-organized. I'm always impressed by steinerp's meta tracker work. 

• Fayde likes this

Fayde

Fayde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Let us one-up them then. >: )

Fayde

Fayde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Here is the terms thus far:

OP: Organized Play. Typically referring to tournament games in which the game is played competitively rather than causally.

Meta (Metagame): A term that refers to the current trends and game state that are popularly used in Organized Play. The Meta is not implied by the rules of the game, but rather current card interactions that work well with the current card pool.

Card Pool: The cards (and may refer to Objective Sets rather than individual cards) that are currently available from which to build decks.

Affiliation Splash ("Splash" or "Splashing"): A concept of deck building. Using the Affiliation Card to compensate the minority Affiliation Objectives/cards used in a deck consisting of more than 1 Affiliation (i.e. a deck with both Navy and Sith objectives).

Drop/Dropping: Paying for and deploying a card, typically a Unit, which is preceded by the cost of the card (i.e. "A 3-drop unit").

Flop: Reveling a card or group of cards, specifically used to as reference to reveled Objective cards.

Board Control (or just "Control"): Typically refers to preventing your opponent from executing his strategies or using cards. Using Tactics icons on unit cards is a method to acquire board control. Other Events or Enhancements, such as those that cancel card effects. This can also refer to a deck archetype "Control", which uses these effects to lock down their opponent with Focus Tokens.

Aggro (short for "Aggression"): A deck archetype that focuses on doing the most Objective damage in as little time as possible. Generally one with an increased instance of Blast Damage icons, and cards that give bonus damage toward enemy Objectives.

Spam/Spamming: A deck that consists of cheap, weaker Units that quickly populate the board.

Bounce/Bouncing: An Action/Reaction that moves a card from one place to another. (i.e. Stay on Target Fate card which moves a card from a players discard pile to a target Vehicle.

Mono-Deck: A deck consisting Objective Sets entirely of a single Affiliation (i.e. a deck that consists of only Jedi Objectives).

Pod: Refers to an entire 6-card Objective Set.

Tempo: Typically refers to a players ability to increase the overall quality of cards in their control, and to be able to do so over a steady time frame. It also may refer to being able to use cards/actions to free up resources or unfocus Units/Enhancements. (Honestly, I am not sure how to explain this one quickly, because I've only heard it a couple times)

Resource Blocked: When a player is unable to pay for a card because they do not have enough resources available to purchase it. Specifically used in cases when a player does not have the ability to Resource Match the cards said Affiliation.

Force Control: A deck that is specifically tailored to winning the Force, and/or giving the player special advantages for controlling the Force.

Restricted: Refers to a Objective Set that cannot be included in a deck with another Objective Set in the restricted list per Fantasy Flight Games Star Wars: The Card Game Errata.

Clutch: Refers to a play that drastically changes the outcome or strategy of an opponent in a critical moment. More specifically, a card/action that prevents your opponent from winning the game that turn when they otherwise would have.

1-1-1-1 (1X4): A vanilla unit that costs 1 Resource, yields 1 Force Icon, has 1 Combat Icon and has 1 Health with no other abilities. Thus the four "1"s in the title. Sometimes refereed to as disposable or canon fodder.

That is as much as I have... Please add some more if you notice something missing. I am done with the terms now unless someone adds something. Moving onto other articles.

Edited by Fayde, 10 August 2015 - 06:10 AM.

tierdal

tierdal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2344 posts

'aggro' comes from 'aggro crag' from the early 90s television show nickelodeon guts.  it was basically American gladiators for childes.  the aggro crag was the final event/obstacle on the show, and was a big foam mountain 3 childes would race to the top.  fast kid win.  aggro decks want to win fast, so someone borrowed the term from nickelodeon guts to describe them, and it stuck and went viral.  and the rest is history

Don't think anyone got you sexy, but props. Hidden temple and double dare for life
  • TheEmpireBringsSexyBack likes this

tierdal

tierdal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2344 posts

Aggro is not an MMO term, MMO's  have adopted the term, but aggro decks, for instance, have been around far longer than MMO's have been using it.  Magic has had aggro decks since the early 90's and other card games for possibly longer than that.  The meaning of an aggro deck is an aggressive style deck that usually hits hard and fast.  Often times they are called rush decks, but its essentially the same thing.

If mmo you mean graphical mom's sure...but MUDs were the ones that popularized the saying. Long before mtg.

BobaFett

BobaFett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3037 posts
I honestly don't know what your saying. What I do know is that you were explaining that aggro is from MMO's and what its definition in an mmo is, when we're talking about a card game here, not video games.....

He's making a list of card game terms, not video games, card games for this strategy guide.
  • Fayde likes this

pantsyg

pantsyg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2690 posts
Tempo means getting the most bang for your buck in a turn, usually by optimally using your resources to create the highest-quality board state possible, ideally while preventing your opponent from doing the same. This game is less tempo-oriented as it's often ideal to not spend resources in order to hold some cards for edge rather than playing out as much of your hand as you can afford, and you usually have access to at least four resources from your objectives so optimal resource use during a ramp phase isn't as important. Big tempo swings in this game come from certain cards that give you advantage while removing one of the opponent's; for example, Starship Thief, which gives you a unit while destroying one of the opponent's.
  • Fayde likes this

Fayde

Fayde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Good point, pantsyg. Should we include it then, since it isn't really a major term? If we do include it, I'll include your definition.

GroggyGolem

GroggyGolem

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

GroggyGolem wrote a series of articles aimed at beginners some time ago.

Aaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Tbh I've been skimming the forums here and there for a while. My interest in the game kinda fell off in the winter when I was busy with my new job. Moved onto playing x-wing more around January. Even made it toa store championship! I had intended to continue my articles but I guess with my interest in playing cooling off, my interest in writing about it did as well.

I'm cool with information from my articles being used. Especially if it helps this community grow and gives new players a helping hand.
  • Fayde likes this

Fayde

Fayde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Aaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Tbh I've been skimming the forums here and there for a while. My interest in the game kinda fell off in the winter when I was busy with my new job. Moved onto playing x-wing more around January. Even made it toa store championship! I had intended to continue my articles but I guess with my interest in playing cooling off, my interest in writing about it did as well.

I'm cool with information from my articles being used. Especially if it helps this community grow and gives new players a helping hand.

You are amazing! Thanks. Would your user name for here be suitable credit, or would you want a different name (like a real name or something?)

GroggyGolem

GroggyGolem

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

You are amazing! Thanks. Would your user name for here be suitable credit, or would you want a different name (like a real name or something?)

Username works.

Being back on the forums for more than 10 minutes makes me want to go out and buy some cards to catch up a bit. Still bummed out there isn't a local player base. I tried growing an x-wing community for 2 months so far and just recently decided to make the group meetings a biweekly deal seeing as the group only went from 2 to 3 players in that span of time.

Fayde

Fayde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

I am actually in the same boat. Small town and about 2 hours from the nearest player base. However, I got a couple friends into it enough that we play, but only using my cards. Ever concidered web-cam games? I used to do that with a buddy of mine with MagicTG. Worked pretty well.

GroggyGolem

GroggyGolem

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

I am actually in the same boat. Small town and about 2 hours from the nearest player base. However, I got a couple friends into it enough that we play, but only using my cards. Ever concidered web-cam games? I used to do that with a buddy of mine with MagicTG. Worked pretty well.

Done that a few times, need to buy cards before I get stomped again over Skype. It's painful not having anything past edge of darkness. Also need to get a Web Cam so I don't have to plug another monitor into my laptop just to see what's going on.
  • Fayde likes this

tierdal

tierdal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2344 posts

Bumping for new players, can we get a pin?