Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Community-made Unofficial Strategy Guide for SW:TCG

- - - - - Strategy unofficial community

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

jawbone

jawbone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Can we add "clutch"?  I've been playing for 2 years, and I still can't figure out what "clutch" means (in the lcg/ccg sense).  

Ex:  "This card is super clutch."|

SmokeyJ

SmokeyJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Can we add "clutch"?  I've been playing for 2 years, and I still can't figure out what "clutch" means (in the lcg/ccg sense).  

Ex:  "This card is super clutch."|

Clutch depends on context. In general, it tends to mean key to winning a game or at least thwarting your opponents current strategy, and usually corresponds to good timing as well. For instance if you draw a Force Lightning that you need to keep your opponent from winning on their turn with your Counsel of the Sith, that would be a clutch draw and/or card.

Rio

Rio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2209 posts
This topic is adorable. :)
  • DavFlamerock likes this

Fayde

Fayde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

According to Googles all-knowning dictionary: "adjective US informal: (in sport) denoting or occurring in a critical situation in which the outcome of a game or competition is at stake."

I've been really busy, but have compiled a few articles on the side. I am currently trying to write to a few questions I have come across in regards to deck-building, specifically about only having a single Core set.

Would it be helpful to assign topics?

Edit: added Clutch

DavFlamerock

DavFlamerock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 823 posts

I've been keeping my eye on this project for a bit, because it VERY significantly interests me. Basically as soon as it was started, I decided that I want to add some articles into my lineup for Team Sandcrawla that are essentially chapters of this project (my articles being designed to improve players' skill). I've started dabbling in it by discussing card advantage in this game (which I'm going to revisit soon because I only stumbled through it the first time), but I'd like to do things like deckbuilding strategies, combat tactics, edge battle strategies, etc. Basically, all the things that would go into this project.

So I might as well officially say I'm in, and planning on writing articles that amount to chapters of the compilation (someone just commented on what I wrote about resources in deckbuilding in terms of this project). If there's an organized compilation where people are volunteering/appointed to write certain bits just point me there, otherwise I'll link all my relevant articles in this thread to help collate them.

• Fayde likes this

chiller087

chiller087

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts
"Aggro" stands for aggravate. As in, it's really aggravating when Rebels go aggressive turn 1 and I don't have my defenses set up yet.
  • BobaFett and Fayde like this

Fayde

Fayde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

I've been keeping my eye on this project for a bit, because it VERY significantly interests me. Basically as soon as it was started, I decided that I want to add some articles into my lineup for Team Sandcrawla that are essentially chapters of this project (my articles being designed to improve players' skill). I've started dabbling in it by discussing card advantage in this game (which I'm going to revisit soon because I only stumbled through it the first time), but I'd like to do things like deckbuilding strategies, combat tactics, edge battle strategies, etc. Basically, all the things that would go into this project.

So I might as well officially say I'm in, and planning on writing articles that amount to chapters of the compilation (someone just commented on what I wrote about resources in deckbuilding in terms of this project). If there's an organized compilation where people are volunteering/appointed to write certain bits just point me there, otherwise I'll link all my relevant articles in this thread to help collate them.

This is going to be epic. And I hope it helps a lot of players come to the game with a good understanding of what it's like. Thanks for your efforts!!

Fayde

Fayde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Edited the Terminology list again (on page 2). Watched a few videos from regional's and decided to update it.

SeeThreebilbo

SeeThreebilbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1819 posts

This should be really helpful! I can find some good tips.

Fayde

Fayde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

So, wanted to bump the thread by posting a quick little article about owning a single Core Set, and some ideas to give such a player ways to build viable decks to enjoy on the kitchen table. I also have a Beginners article on the importance of Edge Battles, and suggestions for what to look for in one. I'll post that one later.

Only a single Core Set: A deck building option.

Before I go into this, having 2 Cores is a great way to play the game on a more serious note. It increases your options to have 2 copies of each pod in your deck, allows you to mix and match factions more consistently, as well as making your decks a lot more predictable in your card draws (especially if you want “legal” decks).
I personally had a single Core and 1 Force Pack for almost 4 months before I felt ready to expand the game. So during that time, I mostly used the pre-made decks that the Rule Book suggests. However, I started mixing factions and adding/subtracting different pods into my decks. So I developed a theory that would make use of a single Core Set, giving new players the ability to build some consistent (albeit still limited) decks. It should be noted before I delve into the advice that these decks will not be tournament legal.

Using the pre-constructed decks found in the rule book as a template, you will only be including 8 pods in your deck. This is to make your deck more consistent, being that you only have 1 copy of each pod to work with, as well as a smaller card pool to choose from.

When mixing factions (Navy + Sith, for example), I kept my ratios of 5:3. 5 pods of Navy, 3 pods of Sith, and vice versa. Use the faction with the least amount of pods as your Affiliation to splash resources.

If you want to collect Force Packs without buying a second Core, I would suggest sticking to the 8 pod limit, and additionally only using a single copy of the pods found in the Force Packs. At least until you have a whole bunch of Force Packs to negate the fact that you have a single copy of most pods in your deck. However, I suggest getting the Edge of Darkness Core instead, which adds the Scum and Villainy and Smugglers and Spies as full, playable factions instead. This will open up far more options for a beginning player than a couple Force Packs will.

Lastly, you will probably be used your own decks you make for both you and your opponent. So keep that in mind. Don't give one deck a clear advantage over the other. Obviously the factions and sides are not asymmetric, but think about how the decks work internally and externally with each other. You are not playing in tournaments and you don't have to build with that assumption in mind.

I had a great experience with 1 Core and the Force Pack I had to start with, especially when using those suggestions I put together above. While there are not a huge number of viable decks possible with 1 Core, it gives you time to understand the mechanics of the game, and how basic deck building works with the new pod system that you probably are not familiar with.

Fayde

Fayde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Also, please vote:

If you could name the BEST 5 Force Packs for a beginning player to buy, what would they be? In no particular order, and not for specific factions. Just the ones that give the best, most well rounded cards to start the game out with.

SmokeyJ

SmokeyJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Also, please vote:

If you could name the BEST 5 Force Packs for a beginning player to buy, what would they be? In no particular order, and not for specific factions. Just the ones that give the best, most well rounded cards to start the game out with.

1)Join Us or Die

2)Knowledge and Defense

3)Heroes and Legends

4)Escape from Hoth

5)Lure of the Darkside

Fayde

Fayde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

That is a really similar list to what I came up with too. I wanted to put in Draw Their Fire instead of Escape from Hoth. Mostly because almost all the cards from Draw Your Fire have made their way into decks, for me, anyway. I only use 1 (maybe 2) pods from Escape. And while it does include the pilots, it gives a nice boost in vehicle units for almost all the affiliations and works well with the cards included in the Core, especially if you are mixing affiliations (like a Sith/Navy Fighter deck).

scwont

scwont

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Also, please vote:

Heroes and Legends

Lure of the Darkside

Knowledge and Defense

Ready for Takeoff

Attack Run

I would recommend the last two only if bought together, to provide enough critical mass for the Pilot mechanic.

Honourable mentions for Draw Their Fire (in place of either H&L or LotD if the player has a preference for the vehicle/pilot theme) and Join Us or Die (if they want to get into competitive play May the Force Be With You is a must, but the rest of the pack is meh).

• Fayde likes this

DavFlamerock

DavFlamerock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Also, please vote:

1) Join Us or Die

2) Knowledge and Defense

3) Ready For Takeoff

4) Attack Run

Those are the only four that are home-runs for almost all factions. After that it gets a little harder. I would probably say Chain of Command? But then the Sith set in that (which is quite good) relies on a set from Escape From Hoth and I don't want to recommend Escape From Hoth because only the Sith set is worth it in that pod (though it's hugely important for Sith). Actually it's probably just Draw Their Fire because you need Guarding the Wing to support Vader, and Rahn to slot into Jedi, and it gives you Desperation. Alternatively you could go Lure of the Dark Side for Mara, Dash, and Zuckuss.

5) Draw Their Fire/Lure of the Dark Side

• Fayde likes this

Fayde

Fayde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

I disagree that The Imperial Bureaucracy has to have Executor Arrives to be good... I use it as a 1-in support pod and it works fantastic with Core Sith sets. Not saying it's an amazing pod, but it works well with a lot of pods.

That said, I didn't think about how good Chain of Command is all around. It is a pretty well rounded pack! Really, the only pod that is lack-luster is the Smugglers pod, even though it has Surprising Maneuver (which is probably why the rest of the pod is so-so).

Keep up the votes! I will be including the top said packs in a Beginners Buying Guide (which will include 2X Core, 2X EoD, and these 5 packs). 

Fayde

Fayde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Here is my list:

Join Us or Die

Knowledge and Defense

Heroes and Legends

Draw Their Fire

Lure of the Darkside

(Note: I worry that with the above sets, Jedi is basically unstoppable considering the other affiliations included... I know that is just how the meta has been, but still, for a beginner, who is simply using cards from the box to supply other players as well, it seems a little unfair lol)

yodaman

yodaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2741 posts

I know a lot of people will put Join Us or Die first because MTFBWY is so good, but if we're looking at packs overall, I wouldn't put it at the top.  I'd go with

1. Knowledge and Defense - Gamor, Prophetess and Slave Trade are in here.  Then you also have Hoth Gambit and Flight of the Crow. 

2.  Join Us or Die - May the Force Be With You.  Enough said even if the rest of the pack may not be up to snuff.

3. Heroes and Legends - Kyle, False Report gave LS some seriously needed cards at the time.  DS got Dark Trooper Project and the tech lab had everyone going nuts when it first came out because the other affiliations hadn't gotten the 2-2 force resources yet.  Jerec was in the World's winning DS deck. 

4.  Lure of the Dark Side - Dash, Mara and Zuckuss. 

5.  Ready for Takeoff - gets the pilot mechanics going for both sides.  Hobbie, Fel, are key to pilot decks.

• Fayde likes this

Fayde

Fayde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

I totally agree with Join Us Or Die. I actually went and looked at the set as a whole and thought about changing my mind about it included here.

Draw Their Fire didn't come with Fel or Hobbie.... That was Ready for Takeoff. Unless you were referencing something I am too thick to understand.

Fayde

Fayde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Another quickie article over Tactics. Let me know if there is anything I missed or am overlooking.

Tactics:

One of the bigger mistakes I made as a new Star Wars player is underestimate Tactics icons. I focused on Blast Damage, and maybe some Unit Damage in there as well. Tactics? Not for me. I only used them when I had to. It was rare that I would drop a Twi'lek Loyalist, and only would do so if it were my only option.
So here a quick breakdown as to why Tactics Icons are important:

First, they prevent a unit from attacking/defending. Say your defending With that Twi'lek Loyalist against two attacking units (say, Darth Vader and Nightsister). You win the Edge and destroy Nightsister with the Unit Damage and Focus Vader with your Tactics. No more attackers and you are safe for another day. The beauty is that Tactics can have a target that is not restricted to the same unit that will take your Unit Damage. The target doesn't even need to be participating in the Engagement.

You can pile Focus Tokens to make units useless. Palpatine is the first to come to mind. You can either lock down a handful of units, or bury a single unit in up to 3 Focus tokens, preventing them from doing anything for 2-3 turns (depending on the Elite keyword). Not only do they just sit there and look pretty, but they cannot contribute to the Force as they could if you simply dealt damage to them. Another perk is if you bury a Unique unit, they cannot play another copy of that unit as they could if you just destroyed it. Sometimes, especially in the case of powerful Unique units, it is better to bury them with Focus Tokens than to kill them off.

Lastly, thinking in futuristic terms, you could attack/defend with Tactics buy Focusing a unit that isn't currently participating in the Engagement, so to prevent them from attacking/defending in a future Engagement that same turn. In those situations, it gives you control over who attacks/defends, and who doesn't. Any time you influence the choices your opponent makes is extremely powerful and allows you to make better predictions as to how they will act, or force their hand, as it were.