Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Chain of Command shipping now

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

Solaris

Solaris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1241 posts

Devil's Advocate:

Thrawn seems good. However, I think we need IE for him to truly be utilized to the fullest.  At the moment, I don't really see him splashing into Sith or Scum since his set is geared more toward officers.  I don't think a mono navy list is ready yet.  He's cool, but needs different cards to make a difference.

Thrawn can definitely splash into Sith control deck, like they're doing with Sith/Scum right now pairing Emperor with Xizor. Just replace Xizor with Thrawn, who is cheaper, and thematically it makes more sense to have Thrawn working with Palpatine than Prince Xizor. Eventually, new Tarkin and Thrawn will come together to make a good officer deck, but we'll have to wait for Imperial Entanglements for that.

Btw, would anyone put Thrawn in their Navy TIE deck for some added defense, since a TIE deck pretty much has zero? 

BobaFett

BobaFett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Devil's Advocate:

Thrawn seems good. However, I think we need IE for him to truly be utilized to the fullest.  At the moment, I don't really see him splashing into Sith or Scum since his set is geared more toward officers.  I don't think a mono navy list is ready yet.  He's cool, but needs different cards to make a difference.

While i agree, i think he might get even better once IE comes out, i think he could splash into Sith fairly well.  how about 2x thrawn, 1x core tarkin into sith core?   tarkin's set gives you objective removal, another officer for the chuds to protect, a 3 black gun storm trooper that can be protected by royal guard, and a main that makes your opponents objectives easier to kill, which could be real nice for sith!

Btw, would anyone put Thrawn in their Navy TIE deck for some added defense, since a TIE deck pretty much has zero? 

I don't know if they have no defense.  I think vader's set made defending a real thing with ties.  I couldn't do **** to a black squadron deck i played against yesterday because they had black 2 with Fel, vader's tie with Vader, and and stay on targeting DS-61-3, and Mithel on another tie made attacking into that a nightmare and nearly impossible.

• LethalHobo likes this

LethalHobo

LethalHobo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Thrawn can definitely splash into Sith control deck, like they're doing with Sith/Scum right now pairing Emperor with Xizor. Just replace Xizor with Thrawn, who is cheaper, and thematically it makes more sense to have Thrawn working with Palpatine than Prince Xizor. Eventually, new Tarkin and Thrawn will come together to make a good officer deck, but we'll have to wait for Imperial Entanglements for that.

Right, but look at Xizor's set compared to Thrawn's.  

-Xizor has a useful fate card that can totally turn edge battles. You can argue that Supporting fire does that too, but IME, I'd rather take Scheme.

-Xizor adds more cheap blast, with shielding.  Shielding palp or xizor is a clutch play that a lot of people don't anticipate. Thrawn comes with 2 chuds that don't really do anything outside of protecting Thrawn in this scenario.

-Thrawn V. Xizor is a tough match up.  Thrawn is cheaper and his ability is dope, but so is Xizor's.  I've plucked many good cards using his capture. I see them about equally.

-The event that comes with Thrawn literally only works with himself in that build.  Xizor's can get rid of ****** objectives early on and trigger Xizor himself.

- Xizor has a resource, albeit a living one.

-Objective wise, Xizor's is better IMO, because it helps you ramp out higher units while not losing any resources the following turn.  Also, it trigger's Xizor's ability.

Without playing or proxying anything, I honestly don't see what Thrawn offers over Xizor in a sith deck...

chiller087

chiller087

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts

I would think that Sith would be quite happy to have him around.  2 black tactics or action-speed tactics?  he actually counters the spiders.

Well, the damage, anyway.

LethalHobo

LethalHobo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 821 posts

While i agree, i think he might get even better once IE comes out, i think he could splash into Sith fairly well.  how about 2x thrawn, 1x core tarkin into sith core?   tarkin's set gives you objective removal, another officer for the chuds to protect, a 3 black gun storm trooper that can be protected by royal guard, and a main that makes your opponents objectives easier to kill, which could be real nice for sith!

I'm not saying that he can't be splashed in a sith deck; I think what I meant was, why would you when there are other options atm that are, IMO, a lot stronger than Thrawn by himself?  Maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way, but as I sit and compare sets, I have no idea what I'd take out of my current sith build to make it stronger with Thrawn.  Thrawn's set just doesn't synergize as well, IMO.

LethalHobo

LethalHobo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 821 posts

I would think that Sith would be quite happy to have him around.  2 black tactics or action-speed tactics?  he actually counters the spiders.

He does, but paying 4 for a hard counter to a spider that cost (essentially) 1 doesn't scream efficiency to me.

YEEZUS

YEEZUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
All the tie deck does is play defense.

TheEmpireBringsSexyBack

TheEmpireBringsSexyBack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

*happy dance*

I am coming.

lol

• America and TheEmpireBringsSexyBack like this

pantsyg

pantsyg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2690 posts
Thrawns chuds do have icons that I like; I've been wanting more units with 2 guns. That said, I agree that Xizor looks like the better splash right now, more versatility.

I don't think I'd put him in a TIE deck, there are a lot of sets available for that archetype already, and with the new Vader I don't think they need much additional help.

BobaFett

BobaFett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Right, but look at Xizor's set compared to Thrawn's.  

-Xizor has a useful fate card that can totally turn edge battles. You can argue that Supporting fire does that too, but IME, I'd rather take Scheme.

-Xizor adds more cheap blast, with shielding.  Shielding palp or xizor is a clutch play that a lot of people don't anticipate. Thrawn comes with 2 chuds that don't really do anything outside of protecting Thrawn in this scenario.

-Thrawn V. Xizor is a tough match up.  Thrawn is cheaper and his ability is dope, but so is Xizor's.  I've plucked many good cards using his capture. I see them about equally.

-The event that comes with Thrawn literally only works with himself in that build.  Xizor's can get rid of ****** objectives early on and trigger Xizor himself.

- Xizor has a resource, albeit a living one.

-Objective wise, Xizor's is better IMO, because it helps you ramp out higher units while not losing any resources the following turn.  Also, it trigger's Xizor's ability.

Without playing or proxying anything, I honestly don't see what Thrawn offers over Xizor in a sith deck...

i think they are pretty close tbh. 

here is my rundown:

Objetives:  they are both 2 resource objectives, masterful has 1 less health, but also allows you to use both each turn.  Edge goes to masterful

Mains: Both elite, both 3 force icons. Xizor has slightly better icon spread, but costs more.  Xizors ability can often times go unused if your opponent pitches all his cards, or just doesn't have any, or you could just grab a bad card and help them filter their cards.  Thrawn just shuts down everything.  Doesn't even have to be in the engagement.  can also defend and wait to see who wins the edge battle before using his ability or using his 2 black tactics.  IMO, edge goes to thrawn.

chuds: Headhunter and debt collector vs 2x noghri bodyguards:  head hunter brings great damage, health, shielding, debt collector is MEH.  bodyguards bring protect officer, but also double unit damage, so 3 guns with a heat of battle.  edge to scum chuds.  In a predominantly navy based officer deck, edge to bodyguards.  Edge depends on deck type.

Events: Shadows of the empire is real nice, but so is double striking with thrawn, or using his ability, then also striking in an engagement.  Again. in a navy officer deck, chain of command is amazing, where as shadows can be good in any setting.  Edge goes to shadows, unless CoC is in navy officer deck.

Fate cards: Like chain of command, princes scheme loses a lot of effectiveness when not in a predominantly scum deck, as it only has a single target when splashed, where as supporting fire is a nice fate card to root out twists.  Edge goes to supporting fire unless scheme is in predominantly scum setting.

So over all, it seems like Xizor's set might have an ever so slight edge, BUT i think thrawn is so good, that he might be worth using over xizor, and as i said, maybe coupled with core tarkin, then i think that combo might push them ahead of xizor in that setting.

He does, but paying 4 for a hard counter to a spider that cost (essentially) 1 doesn't scream efficiency to me.

what makes you think he's just a hard counter to the spider?   He counter's every unit.

TGO

TGO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2588 posts

chuds: Headhunter and debt collector vs 2x noghri bodyguards: head hunter brings great damage, health, shielding, debt collector is MEH. bodyguards bring protect officer, but also double unit damage, so 3 guns with a heat of battle. edge to scum chuds. In a predominantly navy based officer deck, edge to bodyguards. Edge depends on deck type.

I think I would give the edge to the bodyguards. 2 guns and a 2 cost unit is a potent blocker. The headhunter is going to cost you 1 resource or you lose it on the following turn.
  • BobaFett likes this

LethalHobo

LethalHobo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 821 posts

what makes you think he's just a hard counter to the spider?   He counter's every unit.

He's not JUST a hard counter to the spider, I agree. I was just trying to point out that when using the point that Thrawn is a way to handle the spider, there are cheaper and, IMO, better alternatives (Lightning, IHYN, etc.)

tierdal

tierdal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2344 posts
Keenan on speeder bests him and the emperor. ..but he's good:)

Solaris

Solaris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1241 posts

Keenan on speeder bests him and the emperor. ..but he's good:)

Can't Thrawn use his ability to remove Keenan as a participating unit from the engagement before Keenan use his ability first? 

Caal

Caal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Keyan and Thrawn's abilities both resolve at Action speed.
During LS turn, after declaring attackers, LS player as the first opportunity to take action. If LS player doesn't use Keyan's ability, then Thrawn can focus its unit.

dbmeboy

dbmeboy

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3902 posts

Well, he counters the spider (among other things) by basically shutting down lone attackers, especially if you have another unit with Tactics out.  Block with Thrawn and Emperor.  If you lose edge, focus Thrawn to lock down the lone attacker and let the Emperor go to town.  He's also great against BtS Yoda, Speeder Bike, or any other multi-tactics unit or unit you otherwise don't want to get the chance to strike.

He is pretty useless against Keyan (particularly in a a unit with all black icons, like Rogue 3 or the Speeder Bike), but so is just about everything not named Hand of the Emperor.

Arkard

Arkard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1098 posts

Not knowing what's in the deluxe box, I'd rather look at the current Navy builds to find a shell for Thrawn. 4x Noghri bodyguard is a lot and it's just a chud if you're not getting use out of that protect keyword, which has been pretty important for the sith and jedi since the beginning of the game.. wookies too! If we forget Deluxe Tarkin, what are the officers we would want to protect? Let's see (I might be forgetting some):

- Core Set Tarkin: Perfect target for protect. Elite, has tactics and a nice ability. Time to bring this pod back?

- Captain Needa: Well, he does have 1 health..

- Tagge: He's already a pretty high health character, having protect would basically make him stay around the table forever. From my experience he's the least threatening of the trooper deck officers (Tagge, Mohc, Veers) for the other side, though.

- Mohc: Possibly, but like with Tagge it just raises the question is the trooper deck the right shell for Thrawn anyway? Usually a late game play, anyway.

- Veers: Definitely needs protect, with 2 hp, a nice ability and that much needed tactics. Unfortunately his pod is in a weird place that makes you go two ways (I've tried out a walker / trooper mix which was pretty decent actually) and the walkers are only good if you Forward Command Posts out.

- Motti & Duty Officer: Motti is usually a guy that stays back, but I'd still say this is a go-to pod for resources along with Thunderflare for the navy.

someguy11

someguy11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts
There is also Starck who sports some pretty great icons while attacking.
  • Arkard likes this

DavFlamerock

DavFlamerock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 823 posts
In the Thrawn vs Xizor debate, I'm going to say that in the gameplay video I have releasing this afternoon, I talk about how Xizor is better than Vader in almost every way. So yeah, I think Xizor is better overall. I actually really like the fact that his pod is a little bit of everything, since all the good Sith pods are so heavily focused on defense.
  • chunkygorillas likes this

Thaliak

Thaliak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Ysanne and the two Intelligence Officers are officers as well. All three have tactics, and Ysanne's is black.

• Jarratt and Arkard like this