Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

I love this game. ..

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

BobaFett

BobaFett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3037 posts
That's why I was trying to tell you to read my later posts where I went into a bit more details. I could have left out the "if I was 10" part, and probably should have, since clearly, cartoons aren't necessarily for children. They just aren't my thing.

I've tried to watch the clone wars and made it though 2 episodes and I just couldn't get into them. I've watched gundam, and ghost in the shell and a couple other animes but again I can't get into them. If they become live action sci-fi movies though, I'm all in!
  • IdeYoshiya likes this

IdeYoshiya

IdeYoshiya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Some anime series I recommend to people who think they might like anime but aren't sure:

• Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad
  • Death Note
  • Fate/Zero
  • Knights of Sidonia (cel-shaded CGI)
  • Voices of a Distant Star

These have the quality of being shows that go minimalist on anime-specific tropes, which allows them to be more relevant for people unfamiliar with the medium (some say "genre," but I firmly believe the term is a misnomer when applied to anime, though there are definitely tropes that generally apply to it). That said, if your problem is specifically with the visual qualities of it being non-live-action as you say it is, these obviously won't be any more palatable. :P

IdeYoshiya

IdeYoshiya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Between this, rebels and the new movie. ..tyne stink of the prequels is washing away.

I can be proud of star wars again. #tears

Lackluster successors to the Classic Trilogy though they may be, can we at least agree there are elements of the prequels that are nonetheless amazing? To name a few:

Jimmy Smits (Bail Organa)
Christopher Lee (Count Dooku)

Liam Neeson (Qui-Gon Jinn)

Ewan McGregor (Obi-Wan Kenobi)

Palpatine (Himself)

John Williams deserves special mention, as the composer of all six films' soundtracks. Whatever you may say about the forced romance between Anakin and Padmé (and you are right in saying so), I think you'll find it hard to deny that dissociated with the film itself, "Across the Stars" communicates beautifully the tragic love story that fans knew to expect from the films going in, while "Battle of the Heroes" describes in poignant detail Anakin's descent into darkness, and does so using no words except "ah-ah-ahhh" and the like. In light of this, I tend to look on the prequels as the flawed realization of a story that - taken separately from the films themselves - remains an iconic prelude to the action of the Star Wars we grew up with.

• yodaman likes this

Majestaat

Majestaat

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1913 posts

Not liking Gundam is like not liking Majestaat: borderline impossible.

• IdeYoshiya likes this

Solaris

Solaris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1242 posts

Yeah, Gundam series like 0083: Stardust Memories, Char's Counterattack, and Seed are the best IMO. 08 MS Team is also very good.

Solaris

Solaris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1242 posts

Yeah, Gundam series like 0083: Stardust Memories, Char's Counterattack, and Seed are the best IMO. 08 MS Team is also very good.

tierdal

tierdal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2344 posts

Lackluster successors to the Classic Trilogy though they may be, can we at least agree there are elements of the prequels that are nonetheless amazing? To name a few:

Jimmy Smits (Bail Organa)
Christopher Lee (Count Dooku)

Liam Neeson (Qui-Gon Jinn)

Ewan McGregor (Obi-Wan Kenobi)

Palpatine (Himself)

John Williams deserves special mention, as the composer of all six films' soundtracks. Whatever you may say about the forced romance between Anakin and Padmé (and you are right in saying so), I think you'll find it hard to deny that dissociated with the film itself, "Across the Stars" communicates beautifully the tragic love story that fans knew to expect from the films going in, while "Battle of the Heroes" describes in poignant detail Anakin's descent into darkness, and does so using no words except "ah-ah-ahhh" and the like. In light of this, I tend to look on the prequels as the flawed realization of a story that - taken separately from the films themselves - remains an iconic prelude to the action of the Star Wars we grew up with.

You are spot on. And John Williams score remains a central pillar as to why the prequels are even watchable. Without it they wouldn't be lifeless...they would be dead.

This is why I hate prequel hate. They are tragic...not something to be reviled. They could have been so much more, but the expanded media around them has corrected alot of the flaws.

• IdeYoshiya likes this

TheEmpireBringsSexyBack

TheEmpireBringsSexyBack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

anime sux.  like this post if you agree.

• tierdal, TheEmpireBringsSexyBack, chunkygorillas and 1 other like this

tierdal

tierdal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2344 posts

like just cuz ur sexy

TheEmpireBringsSexyBack

TheEmpireBringsSexyBack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

it is time for everyone to take a stand on this issue.  lines will be drawn.  (figurative lines dividing ppl into opposing camps, not lines used to draw an anime, which btw would be better spent towards anything else.)

• TheEmpireBringsSexyBack likes this

chiller087

chiller087

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts
The prequel hate, all of it, stems from one essential thing:

Nothing in movie history was or ever will be so heavily anticipated, nor prove to be such an ignominious let-down.

People who didn't grow up on Star Wars and didn't like the prequels often just think of them as poorly made movies, in general. Most of us who did grow up on it wanted the prequels to be the 2nd coming of the Lord, and Hor-hay Lucas just wasn't interested in making those movies in a way that we could emotionally connect to.
  • IdeYoshiya likes this

TheEmpireBringsSexyBack

TheEmpireBringsSexyBack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

true. I think that also explains how ppl can hate the prequels while still loving the legends universe, which is just as terrible as the prequels, if not more so. 

"9 hours of movies I don't like may as well have murdered my family.  now excuse me while I spend hundreds of hours over years of my life reading horrible novels."

BobaFett

BobaFett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

true. I think that also explains how ppl can hate the prequels while still loving the legends universe, which is just as terrible as the prequels, if not more so. 

"9 hours of movies I don't like may as well have murdered my family.  now excuse me while I spend hundreds of hours over years of my life reading horrible novels."

But the difference is not ALL the novels are terrible, where as, ALL of the prequels are terrible.  The only one of the 3 i can even sit through today is the 3rd one, and its so unmemorable and bland, if i never saw it again, it'd be no skin off my back.

• IdeYoshiya likes this

tierdal

tierdal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2344 posts

But the difference is not ALL the novels are terrible, where as, ALL of the prequels are terrible.  The only one of the 3 i can even sit through today is the 3rd one, and its so unmemorable and bland, if i never saw it again, it'd be no skin off my back.

My association with that era is the supporting canon material - namely the clone wars. I dont think anyone is arguing the movies are good...but relegating the entire era to "its awful ignore it" is pretty lame and throwing away so many interest characters that BTW are PART of the rebellion era - in canon. Just watch Rebels.

So in essense the prequel era everyone hates now has direct connections to the birth of the rebellion AND the original trilogy - and probably episode 7

TheEmpireBringsSexyBack

TheEmpireBringsSexyBack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

The novels are all terrible (assuming you are no longer a dumb tween/teen), and the prequels are all at the same level as return of the jedi.  If return of the jedi came out in 2003 instead of 1983 (and vice versa for revenge of the sith) you'd all going on about how amazing revenge is and how much return sucks.  That's my opinion tho and I'm not going to convince anyone, or try to, and you're not going to convince me otherwise.  Like I'm honestly puzzled how adults can say any legends book is not total garbage.  there's so many books in existent that are actually good.  you should be reading those instead.

take a step back.  presumably we all here make fun of the twilight books, even if we haven't read them.  10 years from now tho there'll be ppl on the twilight lcg msg board talking about how twilight the book and the twilight eu isn't actually all bad. and that the eu actually builds on the twilight universe and goes deeper into the themes and story and motivations and blah blah blah

yankeefan1355

yankeefan1355

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1225 posts

The whole prequels are horrible.   All the characters are bad.  The scripts are bad.  The CGI is lame.  Yoda was ruined... as was Obi.      

tierdal

tierdal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2344 posts

Empire - star wars books aren't Dune or Dickens quality...but when people say good they are not comparing to Dostoevsky ...they are saying they were good stories in the SW universe.

I agree with you on almost everything you said except that Attack of the Clones is 10x worse than Jedi...and Jedi had the advantage over Revenge of having characters you actualyl cared about.... which is actually why the SURROUNDING media for the prequels make Revenge alot better (although still a poorly crafted movie). When Anakin and Obi fight after 7 seasons of the clone wars...there is this added edge you dont get from just watching Attack of the Clones.

@alliteration

The whole prequels are horrible.   All the characters are bad.  The scripts are bad.  The CGI is lame.  Yoda was ruined... as was Obi.      

Are you just a troll? Does anyone know or play with this guy? Thinking of just /ignoring him.

TheEmpireBringsSexyBack

TheEmpireBringsSexyBack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

dune series is amazing because each book someone gets infinitely more terrible than the one before it, and the first one isn't all that great to begin with tbh. 

I'm not saying star wars books need to be classics of literature, but the movies aren't the godfather either.

Like half the characters between the prequels and the OT are the same, so lol about someone caring about vader/Anakin, yoda, chewie, the droids in ep6 but not caring about them in ep3.  tbh caring about the story and characters in star wars is kinda dumb anyway.  your watching for space wizards to fight with laser swords, and other guys to shoot laser guns, and cool ships to fight and fly around in space, exploring strange new worlds, meeting cool aliens.  I don't need to spend a week reading about han's life as an orphan to appreciate him being a scoundrel in the OT.  Die Hard is fine without reading twenty books about John McClaine's life before, during, and after the stuff that happened in his movies.

tierdal

tierdal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2344 posts

dune series is amazing because each book someone gets infinitely more terrible than the one before it, and the first one isn't all that great to begin with tbh. 

I'm not saying star wars books need to be classics of literature, but the movies aren't the godfather either.

Like half the characters between the prequels and the OT are the same, so lol about someone caring about vader/Anakin, yoda, chewie, the droids in ep6 but not caring about them in ep3.  tbh caring about the story and characters in star wars is kinda dumb anyway.  your watching for space wizards to fight with laser swords, and other guys to shoot laser guns, and cool ships to fight and fly around in space, exploring strange new worlds, meeting cool aliens.  I don't need to spend a week reading about han's life as an orphan to appreciate him being a scoundrel in the OT.  Die Hard is fine without reading twenty books about John McClaine's life before, during, and after the stuff that happened in his movies.

I cant tell if you are the best troll ever, confused, or ... what is this i don't even.

Additionally Dune Messiah is a much better book than Dune - and the first 4 makeup a really interesting story.

Oh and Dune just happens to be the progenitor to modern science fiction.

And as to your point about "You dont care about before or after John McClain"...thats fine? some people do.

People like the universe and like to continually explore it.

You seem to think there is some essential cosmic right and wrong truth out there about what is good and bad... 

IdeYoshiya

IdeYoshiya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

I cant tell if you are the best troll ever, confused, or ... what is this i don't even.

He's a troll, though not the best IMO. His first two posts on this page served no purpose except to bait anime fans like myself, while his later post I'll quote below directly challenged its own position...that is, unless you actually believe he has read every Star Wars novel to have seen print, and hated them all. 

The novels are all terrible (assuming you are no longer a dumb tween/teen) ... take a step back.  presumably we all here make fun of the twilight books, even if we haven't read them.  10 years from now tho there'll be ppl on the twilight lcg msg board talking about how twilight the book and the twilight eu isn't actually all bad. and that the eu actually builds on the twilight universe and goes deeper into the themes and story and motivations and blah blah blah

Also, he likes his own posts. Seriously, who does that?