Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

AGoT 2.0 - Greyjoy Preview

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

Shethek

Shethek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

https://www.fantasyf...6/born-of-iron/

• Zouavez and MarcosTy like this

ScionMattly

ScionMattly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1281 posts

God damnit, I JUST looked

• Ironswimsuit and Zouavez like this

alpha5099

alpha5099

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

So now we know what Pillage does.

"The pillage keyword allows you to discard the top card of your opponent’s deck whenever you win a challenge against that opponent."

Doesn't sound amazing, but should be helpful and synergizes well with Euron.

Also, yay for Asha, my favorite character.

Vorrt

Vorrt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Every preview makes it harder for me to decide who I wish to play

• emptyrepublic, scantrell24, Azeltir and 3 others like this

istaril

istaril

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1741 posts

POPULAR

Best part of the article: 

Next week, we travel south to Dorne to plot vengeance alongside House Martell! In addition, we'll be posting the Learn to Play and Rules Reference for A Game of Thrones: The Card Game with next week's article, giving you the chance to dive into all the rules of the second edition. 

• alpha5099, emptyrepublic, mnBroncos and 8 others like this

Ironswimsuit

Ironswimsuit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1081 posts

The article made me think Greyjoy may be a rush faction, but I don't see anything except awesome extra power, stealth, recursion and removal..  Also, Dracarys, meet Risen From the Sea.

• Vorrt likes this

Azeltir

Azeltir

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Hella looking forward to the rules. And the Martells, yesss.

It's looking very hard to win challenges where Greyjoy is the offense. Spooky!

sniprpenguin

sniprpenguin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Flavor-wise, I'm surprised that Euron is the 7-cost, considering he was off sailing through the Smoking Sea during the first books.

As far as mechanics, Greyjoy seems to be the least-changed as far as differences from 1.0. Saving, unopposed challenges, going first, locations, and pillaging- seems to be a retooling of their previous mechanics more than a reinvention like Baratheon.

I believe it's been brought up before, but I'm curious how splitting up the Holy factions will affect the future card pool. Before we had R'hllor, The Seven, and The Drowned God all under the same umbrella of mechanics and cards, with stuff like Many Powers Long Asleep and Power of Faith. With splitting it up, does that mean we'll see 3 different ways of running the respective themes, or will they sort of go the way of the Others trait in 1.0?

• Zouavez likes this

ErsatzNihilist

ErsatzNihilist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

I think this has been the least surprising of all the previews so far - although I do like the new Aeron a lot. Nothing jumps out at me as spectacular, but it's a solid, thematic base. Do like, will likely continue to main the Greyjoys once 2nd Editions hits.

Pillage seems a bit naff at this point, but all it needs to get going are a couple of cards that say "When you Pillage, discard one more card". There was a crewman for that in the first game but I can't remember for the life of me what it was called. Had some axes. Looked upset.

edit - these have the best card art for me too. I've always loved the drab GJ stuff.

• Zouavez likes this

DarkBlue

DarkBlue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

KRAKENS!!!!!

Seems like Greyjoy and Nightwatch will be natural enemies.

Also, I like that they are pushing UO as a theme, felt very undeveloped in 1.0.

Also, Asha with build-in Support of Harlaw? How nedly!

Aeron and Risen will annoy so many people.

Euron and Balon are strong, Great Kraken is really great.

Funny, that of all cards only 1 location is spoiled so far, while the other have two spoiled and the Drowned Men are indicating, Greyjoy will have a location theme.

Also, Greyjoy don't seem to be a good ally, as most cards needs Ironborn or Greyjoy characters to work with.

But I see good "allies" in Lannister and Baratheon.

Also: Dat ART! No piece that I don't like. I will love and cuddle my new shiny cards!

DarkBlue

DarkBlue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Wrong, istaril. Best part is: It is house Greyjoy! Who needs rules, if you can just raid and pillage them?

JoeyJellico

JoeyJellico

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Love that Asha

IdeYoshiya

IdeYoshiya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts
I wonder why the ships' names arent italicized. They are italicized in the books, right? It's been a while, so not sure.

BullroarerTook

BullroarerTook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

I've long since learned not to rely on the writer of the weekly articles for rules, but I have to ask about this one because the timing has me baffled:

"Because Reactions to winning a challenge are resolved before keywords like pillage, you can play We Do Not Sow during one of Euron’s challenges to discard your opponent’s location, then bring it into play under your control with Euron Crow’s Eye."

That makes sense for why We Do Not Sow works, but not Euron Crow's Eye.  (At least to me.)  If ECE's reaction takes place BEFORE pillage then he can't chose any potential land that he pillages, but the article also says,

"After Euron Crow’s Eye discards a card with pillage, you can put any location from the losing opponent’s discard pile into play under your control."

So does that happen the next turn or is there a timing structure that I'm not seeing?

linkingverbs

linkingverbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Is that Iron Islands Fishmonger the first Ally we've seen in the core set so far?

VonWibble

VonWibble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2996 posts
Bullroarer Took - It happens in that turn, directly after you discard the top card.

Euron's reaction is not to winning a challenge, it is to using the pillage keyword.

It can't be used in the window before pillage at all.

Linkingverbs - No. Littlefinger is an ally and I'm sure there are others.

FallenOn3

FallenOn3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

4.2 Challenge is initiated.
ACTION WINDOW
4.2.1 Defending player declares defenders.
ACTION WINDOW
4.2.2 Compare STR to determine challenge winner.
4.2.3 Gain challenge bonuses.
4.2.4 Apply claim result.
4.2.5 Process challenge resolution keywords.
4.2.6 Challenge ends.

no no... u got it wrong...effects that are responses to winning (or losing a challenge) happens at the first step of resolution when winner is determined (4.2.2)...after that u got unnopposed power, then claim, and keywords at the end of challenges....
so we do not sow triggers on winner deterimination (4.2.2.) and after that euron pliiages a card and response to that happens (4.2.5.)
its much better then in 1.0 :)

• VonWibble likes this

Rivarama

Rivarama

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
They are reactions to 2 diferent thing

VonWibble

VonWibble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2996 posts

4.2 Challenge is initiated.
ACTION WINDOW
4.2.1 Defending player declares defenders.
ACTION WINDOW
4.2.2 Compare STR to determine challenge winner.
4.2.3 Gain challenge bonuses.
4.2.4 Apply claim result.
4.2.5 Process challenge resolution keywords.
4.2.6 Challenge ends.

no no... u got it wrong...effects that are responses to winning (or losing a challenge) happens at the first step of resolution when winner is determined (4.2.2)...after that u got unnopposed power, then claim, and keywords at the end of challenges....
so we do not sow triggers on winner deterimination (4.2.2.) and after that euron pliiages a card and response to that happens (4.2.5.)
its much better then in 1.0 :)

What I said, but explained much better!

FallenOn3

FallenOn3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

What I said, but explained much better!

well i was typing it, didnt see ur answer :P