Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

House Tyrell

- - - - - Game of Thrones Tyrell Baratheon

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

Archrono

Archrono

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
Who's looking forward to more cards? Is it confirmed at all that it's the new house expansion? What kinds of cards/mechanincs/interactions are expected?

I looked through the old CCG cards and there's some really cool stuff! I could care less about the Lannister/Tyrell cards, (There's only one Baratheon brother left, so if he dies then the only house "Baratheons" left besides minor characters are the Tyrells.)

The old stuff has a lot of discounts, intrigue/control and blocks (like prevents counting of strength or participation) and good use of influence. (I wish Bara had more use of influence. See Who is Stronger and Ser Parmen Crane seem to be all I ever use, and rarely.)

Butterbumps is the man.

Overall theme I'd like to see is interesting intrigue effects, and Martel like cancels and control. (As well as more vigilant and stand effects in general.)
I'm a big fan of "Global" effect cards, like King Robert's Host (TWot5K),Robert Baratheon (KotStorm) and Catelyn Stark (AToT), so some locations or characters that add (or remove!) challenges would be sweet.

House weaknesses? Nothing comes to mind. Tyrells are one of the richest houses, and field the most men, So draw and income should be outstanding. Military, Power,and intrigue all have very strong support. Old Tyrell cards have decent saves too. I think some send them back to your hand though...
Maybe some Tully-like synergy would be required (and supported).

That might be interesting. Tyrells get power in interesting ways, but power tends to fall off them if you want to keep them alive. (Pay power to save I'd like to see on Baratheon and Tyrell.)
Anything that diffuses Valar Morghulis (Core) or other resets (At HEAVY cost) is cool by me. B)

Also, some more house specific plots and agendas, as well as some more faith of the seven neutrals Warrior's Sons (LotR),High Septon (LotR), and maybe more smallfolk. (Maybe not all in Tyrell, but I still want em.)

Berserker Knight of Flowers plot, event, or character would be amazing.

A whole new house? New agenda (Brothers at war anyone)?New house specific keyword!?
Outlandish speculation and ideas welcome.

I looked at the old ccg stuff at AGOTCards

emptyrepublic

emptyrepublic

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 702 posts
How would including a new House work at this point? It seems to me that FFG would have to shoehorn in a lot in order to give them a broad enough base so they don't feel like a juiced up sub-theme. Would we be talking about a super-deluxe expansion where you can essentially make a few decks out of the box with some cards from the core set? I'm not so sure if it works that thematically either. They only showed up in books in and around Kings Landing engaging with either the Baratheons or Lannisters. Even though some people don't care for the Martells in the books we at least we went to Dorne and saw how things worked there.

Archrono

Archrono

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
Yeah a new house probably wouldn't work, but if say Tyrell cards were more expensive, but had an agenda for Lannister or Baratheon that lowers the cost (and maybe a house specific benefit.) that might be cool.

I'm not sure. Seems like a pretty major house to me. They go from a pretty minor tie to house Baratheon (besides being bannerman), to turning the tide of the war and being pretty much on top. If I understand correctly they end up having almost more hold on the realm then the Lannisters.

They certainly have more members and strength then the Baratheons. And a strong base of cards from the CCG.

This is more of a what if scenario.
If they expand following Tyrells as a theme, what kind of things would you like to see?

emptyrepublic

emptyrepublic

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 702 posts
I think an Agenda is a good way to bring in the other great houses that aren't part of the game already (Tyrell and Arryn as well). You could have the House Tyrell Agenda be Lannister/Baratheon only. Arryn would be Stark (possibly Baratheon) only. The agenda would remove out of house costs for characters with printed House Tyrell or House Arryn trait. Since The Reach is second in physical size only to The North it should be relatively location heavy. What the locations do I'm not so sure. My thought is since they have sparred with the Dornish a lot perhaps they have some more potent icon addition?

slothgodfather

slothgodfather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2951 posts
I just decided which trait that the Bara "across the narrow sea" location should reduce... the bastard trait.

While I know that doesn't follow your Tyrell theme, u did mention cards we r hoping to see.

I do think you ideas about Tyrell agenda and such do so pretty interesting.

Archrono

Archrono

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

I just decided which trait that the Bara "across the narrow sea" location should reduce... the bastard trait.

Why would you want a bastard reducer? They're already really cheap.

Staton

Staton

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1207 posts
I think it was a joke. lol

slothgodfather

slothgodfather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2951 posts
Indeed it was a joke. But Bara does have a lot of bastards. Well, at least Robert did. The seed was a little too strong with that one. And then there were Stannis' shadow-baby bastards. After they get their murdering done, where did they go?

But back on topic of speculation, I would like to see Sand Snakes get some type of boost to make them more competative. As for the other locations to hope for (Bara, Lanni and Targ) I really hope they are not common traits to that house. Such as I think it would be dumb to give the location for OOH Bara the ability to reduce Knights, Targ to reduce Dothraki or Lanni to reduce Ally. Lanni Kingsguard would actually be pretty interesting I think. Targ queensguard? Bara Bastard? (lol) And a new Kingsguard or Queensguard agenda and some additional cards to make them more competative themes.

Basically anything that makes additional themes (direwolves, house dayne, kingsguard, etc.) competative is what I would like to see.

Staton

Staton

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1207 posts
Spoiler alert. Baratheon Free Cities is Knights.

slothgodfather

slothgodfather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2951 posts
You make me sad. They give Mercenary to GJ, who has 2 that are playable OOH. Martell gets Lord who has 7 playable OOH. Stark gets Lady who has 7 playable OOH. And Bara is going to get Knight with 25 playable OOH... Actually the only "House Bara only" knight is TLS (thank GOD). They really make some interesting choices at FFG.

I'm adding no-Shadows Knight of Flowers to my new decklist right now, he can hang out with no-kneeling Asha and a The Red Viper!

agp

agp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I think House Tyrell would be great as a new sub theme. Give them an agenda and a bunch of good support cards. If they did it I think it would cool to see it be more powerful than wildlings or botherhood. Make them something that can challenge the more powerful agendas.

I didn't check, but it seems most House Tyrell cards are in Baratheon and Lannister. Maybe make the agenda give -1 gold penalty and something we haven't seen on other agendas.

Staton

Staton

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1207 posts
If they were going to do something with Tyrells I think they should follow the House Arryn route and make them all Neutral. They could then either make house attachments or agendas that let you "ally" with the Tyrells and they would all gain your house affiliation.

doulos2k

doulos2k

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1798 posts
Well, if Bara is getting Knights... which I agree seems kinda crazy considering where the Free Cities seemed to be going (traits with lower than average appearance within that particular house)... at least it's a highly usable trait throughout the game. That reducer still reduces the first Knight by one... in-House, OOH, or Neutral. So, I see that one getting some pretty heavy use (and, of course, there are some really great Bara Knights).

What's going to be interesting is how much change we'll see in the meta next year with all of these in play. Playing almost any card OOH has suddenly become far more viable than it has been. Time will tell.

Staton

Staton

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1207 posts
I hope Men With No King (SA) doesn't kill the use of OOH characters though. That card is crazy good.

doulos2k

doulos2k

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1798 posts
Yeah - it'll be interesting to see how that pans out. There are only 6 eligible events, right? Would Paper Shield (QoD) both cancel the event and thereby nullify the response of Men With No King (SA) since the event wasn't successfully played?

Staton

Staton

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1207 posts
Hmmmmm I forget how that works. I'll check.

slothgodfather

slothgodfather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2951 posts
To start paper shield couldn't cancel the event since they all cost a gold. So lets use Hand's Judgement instead. Just because the event was cancelled does not mean it was not played. The same is said for triggering your Dragon's limited Reponses. Just because I cancelled the effect it was still triggered. The cost is still paid. In the case of the dragons, the FAQ states that if a limited response is cancelled it is still considered to have been initiated and therefore cannot initiate again that round.

So, I would say a cancelled Reinforcements is still played, the cost of 1 gold is still played, regardless of if it was cancelled. So the requirements of "a reinforcements card being played" is still satisfied, even if the event was cancelled. This would be entirely different if the text on the character said "then choose ..."
The "then" effect would require the previous requirements to be completed successfully.

That's my take at any rate.

doulos2k

doulos2k

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1798 posts
Ah - yes - technically, 5 of the 6 do require gold, so THJ would be the only thing that could cancel those. (The one exception being Retreat and Regroup (SA).)

I think you've got it right though, the event has to be discarded when cancelled, so it seems it was actually "played" at that point.

Archrono

Archrono

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
Well this got off topic quick. :P

Still no word or hints from ffg? I've been looking at the old ccg cards and I'd like to see more cards that move power around. Like
The Red Queen's Faithful (CD), or something that does the reverse. And things that work well with stuff like that.

Seems like a interesting mechanic, seeing as Tyrell is like half Baratheon half Lannister. (And works with Maester Lomys (CbtC) etc.)

I'm all for more agendas, especially for houses that don't have an exclusive one yet, but I don't know what I'd make for Tyrell.

Just bring back Brothers at War.

MrCarbohydrate

MrCarbohydrate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
You know what I would like? Some f'ing support for Night's Watch to make them viable. I really want to play them, and you kind of can with the agendas, but man, 6 extra power is a pain and they just aren't cost effective for how you have to slow the game down to play them. And they don't really have enough control to slow your opponent down either. Anyways, that's my rant for one of my favourite groups in the books.
  • Archrono likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Game of Thrones, Tyrell, Baratheon