Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Imperial beaucracy. .actual spoilers from TC (link inside)

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

Hida77

Hida77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

I really like this set.  It's probably not as good as Plan or something like it, but I think it always has a lot of uses and the units in it are far from terrible.

Objective is really nice, free edge cards and helps you get some cards in your yard right off the bat so Sate is decent.

Sate is pretty awesome.  Get back a twist/heat/or that Force Lightning for the lulz.  Maybe even get back the Emperor or Vader if something bad happened or you had to use them for edge.  I like the recursion, and I think he will always be a decent value for 3. Hes way better than the Interrogation Droid and he sees play here and there.

Advisor - While not the best card in the world, a dude that has a tactic, makes sith resources and has 2 force pips is never terrible really.  Glad hes not a Kuat Clone, thats for sure.

Quarren - Not great but certainly useful here and there.  And he's not over costed, so that's nice.The amount of LS enhancements these days is pretty crazy, and being able to cancel Keyan/Luke/etc. and still be good against Trust Your Feelings and the like is never terrible.  Probably one of the weaker cards in the pod, but still quite useful

Event - While not great, its certainly not terrible, for all the reasons Zach mentioned.  Again, pretty terrifying with Fate cards, since your opponent will never know if you have them. Especially since you can stack most fate cards on top at the end of the Edge, then play this to put them back in (and potentially re-draw them).

Supporting - Yea, not the greatest, but it is pretty hilarious when you put this out there by itself and your opponent has to be afraid of Twist and then you just throw a card to win.  Works pretty well with the pod itself and is not typically the worst thing to have.

In any case, I think its definitely playable. I'd give it a B on first glance, with potential to go up.  Nothing stands out as flat out bad and even the weaker cards are pretty useful.

dbmeboy

dbmeboy

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3910 posts

A 3 cost 2 health main with a black tactics. Hi targeted strike luke. The ability is cool and could be cool to cycle twists or chokes or whatever. This card is pretty cool overall.

Yes... go ahead and strike me down targeted strike Luke so I can get back that Force Lightning and kill you.

Honestly, I think 2 health is perfect for Sate.  He's an ok unit to have around, but you may get even more utility out of him dying than you would keeping him alive.

CataractCowboy

CataractCowboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Rules Gurus: Can Sate return himself from discard with the interrupt?

• CellBlock1138 likes this

Solaris

Solaris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1241 posts

I don't think he can return himself. 

Jarratt

Jarratt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3660 posts

Interrupt means he won't be there yet but he could return a different copy of himself that is already there.

BobaFett

BobaFett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Objective is really nice

Sate is pretty awesome.  

Advisor - While not the best card in the world

Quarren - Not great but 

Event - While not great

Supporting - Yea, not the greatest

In any case, I think its definitely playable. I'd give it a B on first glance, with potential to go up.  Nothing stands out as flat out bad and even the weaker cards are pretty useful.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement lol, but yeah the set looks decent enough.  I think the objective and the main are probably the 2 cards i like best, but even then i don't know what i would supplant for this set.  You could say council, but council is another support set that serves in the same vein.  It has card draw that can help you win edge battles, has resources, a free event that gives card draw and synergizes with vader, but it has a twist which i like better than the supporting fire, and running this as a one of might not be consistent enough to run, but maybe i'm wrong.

yodaman

yodaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2741 posts

Overall, I think this is a decent, although probably not great, set.   I think it's probably the best Sith Control type support set that we've gotten since Plan.   My guess is someone will be able to build a deck that uses this and make it work really well.  I like the objective, even if it is a double edged sword since if you use it, you might end up putting a card there that you would have rather played.  Imagine if you had a holocron in your opening hand and then use the objective.  You might end up having to bury a Palpy or Vader among the 3 cards because of the wording .  I guess then you could at least edge those good units ASAP and hope you get Sate early to get him back.

• BobaFett likes this

tierdal

tierdal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2344 posts

I think time will yell Yodaman - but I see a lot of shenanigans with Sith recursion. I've seen Scottie LOL my board with a good aggression setup. And this just makes that easier.

And in the edge card is almost as good as a twist , sometimes better.

Einherjar

Einherjar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Anyone have a thought on what happens to the stacked cards on the objective if it gets destroyed without using them?  I assume they are discarded.  However, there could be an argument to be made that the "side deck" it creates is generated by the reaction on the objective and, thus, would persist even after the objective is destroyed.  There's also the possibility that the cards follow the objective to the victory pile since they are "stacked on" the objective.  I just dropped a question to the FFG website on this and will post if I get a reply.

In any event, I love the objective itself.  Having +3 edge cards in your hand at all times is potent just for the mind games it plays.  I'd love to find a deck that runs this and Pilot Vader.  I have 8 effective cards in my hand and I'm running I Have You Now.  Do you feel lucky Luke?...Well do ya, punk?

yodaman

yodaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2741 posts

Well, IMO, I would classify a set like this as great if the vast majority would definitely consider it as either an auto-include in any sith control deck (because it could flat out replace something that's already a staple  in that archetype like Vader, Counsel, Palpy), or as a set that forms the foundation of a completely new and powerful deck archtype.  I personally don't think the set reaches that level, but I do predict that some good players will find a way to use it exceptionally well.

• BobaFett likes this

brimmstorm

brimmstorm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 899 posts
This set is why I love the pod deck building system. Nice Objective, nice main, resource chud, situational/bad chud, eh event, and fate card that is ok. You get some good, you get some bad but I think it balances out.
  • TwoShedsJackson, tierdal, yodaman and 1 other like this

pantsyg

pantsyg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Overall, I think this is a decent, although probably not great, set.   I think it's probably the best Sith Control type support set that we've gotten since Plan.   My guess is someone will be able to build a deck that uses this and make it work really well.  I like the objective, even if it is a double edged sword since if you use it, you might end up putting a card there that you would have rather played.  Imagine if you had a holocron in your opening hand and then use the objective.  You might end up having to bury a Palpy or Vader among the 3 cards because of the wording .  I guess then you could at least edge those good units ASAP and hope you get Sate early to get him back.

The Holocron thing would be pretty painful, but in most other cases you can't play Vader or Palp turn one anyway, so I wouldn't mind having them as extra ammo for the first edge battle.

yodaman

yodaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2741 posts

Yeah, I agree.  It's not that likely to happen, but you have to decide whether or not you want to put cards under the objective before you see them so you are taking a risk. 

Hida77

Hida77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Yeah, I agree.  It's not that likely to happen, but you have to decide whether or not you want to put cards under the objective before you see them so you are taking a risk. 

This is not a risk.  It is just as likely that the cards you put here would be the bottom 3 cards of your deck and you would never see them anyway.  Losing cards that you have no knowledge of is not risky at all. 

This is doubly true here, where the set itself has innate ways to get the cards back in your deck or your hand.

Did you ever play Magic? Demonic Consultation was one of the best tutors in that game for a long time, and it could end up RFG'ing half your deck. Punch line: it didn't matter. Cards you don't have to use are not relevant to the game.

• scwont and pantsyg like this

yodaman

yodaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2741 posts

I never played Magic so I don't know comparisons.  While it is true the three cards are equally like to be on bottom or top and you might never see them, we'll have to agree to disagree here about what constitutes a risk. 

You do have a chance to potentially use the cards that are on top of your deck, whereas you really don't if they're on the bottom.  As noted, the set does at least give you ways to get cards back if you draw them. 

I personally think it is a risk to use the objective, but not a large one and, IMO, the potential reward of using the objective's ability would make it worth doing and outweigh any risk.  Whereas, if you actually use something like the Superlaser Engineer's ability where you really could regret using it, IMO the potential reward for that card is not worth the risk. 

tierdal

tierdal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2344 posts

This set is why I love the pod deck building system. Nice Objective, nice main, resource chud, situational/bad chud, eh event, and fate card that is ok. You get some good, you get some bad but I think it balances out.

YESSSSSSS - Pod System is AMAZE balls.

You want recursion? You got it...but it comes with other things you must build around.

So much better than MIN MAXING single cards.

• Hida77 likes this

Slio9

Slio9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Holy Smokes this is powerful recursion. For those unfamiliar with other LCG's, Sate is extremely close to a very powerful Thrones 1.0 card (http://www.cardgamed...-seaworth-atott) with even less restrictions on what you can recur. 

I wonder what combo caused the Non-Enhancement clause to be added?  

Huge fan of that Objective as well, Imagine seeing 2 of these on the flop giving you a free 6 cards for any Edge Battles. Yikes!

tierdal

tierdal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2344 posts

Sith Holocron Slio :)

im surprised it wasnt event also....

it would have been fine at recur unit alone.

giving you 4 palps (for edge and play) is amazing  PLUS a (i forget the farte card name) that lets you plop down a palp to just win... its AMAZINNNGGGGGG

But it certainly has "no gas" as stated above, so we might as well just play MTFBWY instead :P 

BobaFett

BobaFett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

I wonder what combo caused the Non-Enhancement clause to be added?  

Sith Holocron?

Slio9

Slio9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Sith Holocron Slio :)

im surprised it wasnt event also....

it would have been fine at recur unit alone.

giving you 4 palps (for edge and play) is amazing  PLUS a (i forget the farte card name) that lets you plop down a palp to just win... its AMAZINNNGGGGGG

But it certainly has "no gas" as stated above, so we might as well just play MTFBWY instead :P

Sith Holocron?

Of Course! Going back to the Dale Seaworth comparison, the most common card that he would recur was Seat of Power (http://www.cardgamed...t-of-power-wotn) which is literally a Sith Holocron. It makes sense that they realized to block that combo before it starts. 

• scwont and BobaFett like this