Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Imperial beaucracy. .actual spoilers from TC (link inside)

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

pantsyg

pantsyg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Oh, please no limiting Hobbie. Hobbie is great as he is, and pretty lame as once per turn.

Rather. I'd hate to see all potential combo fun removed from his card.

brimmstorm

brimmstorm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 899 posts
Just make the xwing once per turn?

BobaFett

BobaFett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Just make the xwing once per turn?

IMO, this is probably the best solution for a couple reasons, but mainly because while the x-wing with hobbie is a very good combo unit, an x-wing with a astromech, and, say, proton torpedos, and hobbie (or god forbid, wedge), you can now single handedly wipe out damn near 2 or 3 objectives in 1 turn.  if you have a stay on target(s) in your hand, you can essentially swing 6 times with that x wing, and if it is hitting for 3 blast, 2 guns, and removing all damage and focus tokens every time it drops a pilot, thats pretty crazy.

I actually had almost this same situation happen at the origins tourney against anthony.  He deployed a rogue x-wing, with astromech, and hobbie i believe, with 2 stay on targets in hand.  He was able to swing 4 times with it and did like 9 or 10 damage in 1 turn, and killed all defenders fairly easily since each strike hits for 2 unit damage.

Jarratt

Jarratt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3660 posts

I keep saying it. The easy solution is to make Well Paid only playable during the deploy phase Infinite combo avoided.

Yeah either this or hero's trial limit once per turn shuts it down and neither is super invasive to the original sets.

I prefer the change to HT simply because it also stops the overuse of Hobbie during the conflict phase. If you have a ton of resources it doesn't really matter if Hobbie if free or not. If you can play him 8 times for example you should be able to win the game. It won't be first turn so the DS has the chance to get rid of HT but it feels exactly like Asteroid Base to me which they have already limited.

I do agree that Well Paid feels like a deploy only card anyway. Before the Hero's Trial ruling change it was unlikely you could use it at any other time.

Personally I think they should be more specific about these sort of cards. Just because the game mechanics mean that the card is only useful in the deploy phase doesn't mean you shouldn't specifically state that this is when the card happens. This is a great case in point for a mechanical change that gives Well Paid use outside of the phase it was really intended for.

I do feel like the Core was a lot better structured and controlled in regards to this, limiting cards to phases or turns. If Desperation was in core it would have definitely been you turn only from the start. It might even have had more restrictions.
  • yodaman likes this

Jarratt

Jarratt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3660 posts

IMO, this is probably the best solution for a couple reasons, but mainly because while the x-wing with hobbie is a very good combo unit, an x-wing with a astromech, and, say, proton torpedos, and hobbie (or god forbid, wedge), you can now single handedly wipe out damn near 2 or 3 objectives in 1 turn. if you have a stay on target(s) in your hand, you can essentially swing 6 times with that x wing, and if it is hitting for 3 blast, 2 guns, and removing all damage and focus tokens every time it drops a pilot, thats pretty crazy.

I actually had almost this same situation happen at the origins tourney against anthony. He deployed a rogue x-wing, with astromech, and hobbie i believe, with 2 stay on targets in hand. He was able to swing 4 times with it and did like 9 or 10 damage in 1 turn, and killed all defenders fairly easily since each strike hits for 2 unit damage.

I have zero problem with this. I like that Rogue's pose a real problem. If they didn't everyone would still be on Jedi. I think there are several answers and this is quite a few cards to get the whole thing going.

Having said that I don't think that changing Rogues to limit once would diminish them too much. I think they would be just fine.
  • scwont and BobaFett like this

TheMAC

TheMAC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

The ruling was also to maintain internal consistency with allowing Pilots to be played as enhancements around Hidden from the Empire.

It's not the first time time I see this. Rule clarification, that can make sense, then cause a problem with another card set and cause a "problematic" combo.

Clarification on that moving cause the card to actually attach to the target made the TP/Boba combo.

Clarification that pilot are played as enhancement and can be played with trial leads to the Derek well paid combo.

The dev and playtest team and rule people should really start to talk toghether a lot.

• yodaman likes this

TheEmpireBringsSexyBack

TheEmpireBringsSexyBack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
Derek Hobbie is not thematic. The only canon thing left about him is his line in esb " two fighters against a stah destroyer?!?"

If movie derek hobbie was anything like lcg derek hobbie, his line would have been, "two fighters against a stah destroyer? That's way too many. I should be able to handle the imperial fleet for us."

Instead, the derek hobbie card should have been dack who had the ability to take on the whole empire himself somedays
  • TheEmpireBringsSexyBack likes this

Scottie

Scottie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1968 posts
Actually the Hobbie card is very thematic. His biggest claim to fame other then being a Rogue Squadron ace was the amount of crashes or other accidents he survived. He actually was a spokesperson for a bacta company. So constantly returning to hand to get back in the fight pretty much is his thing.

tierdal

tierdal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2344 posts

Actually the Hobbie card is very thematic. His biggest claim to fame other then being a Rogue Squadron ace was the amount of crashes or other accidents he survived. He actually was a spokesperson for a bacta company. So constantly returning to hand to get back in the fight pretty much is his thing.

The theme is this game oozes from everywhere, the easter eggs are soooooo many.

Kyle Katarn has YUNS yellow Saber for instance.

BakaMatt

BakaMatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Kyle has three different colored sabers within his set. Yellow saber on Heroes and Legends, green on Kyle Katarn and purple on Ataru Training. Somehow I had tuned this out before it being mentioned right now that it was yellow with my reaction of "It's yellow? Isn't there a green glow on him?"

tierdal

tierdal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2344 posts

Ya...i wish his set was better ;0