Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[Deck Building] Reviewing my "Many Tricks" Mono-Syndicate deck

- - - - - Syndicate

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

JChoong212

JChoong212

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

A MONO-SYNDICATE CARD DECK
Total cards: 50

Character (31)

2x Clover Club Bouncer (Core Set) 
3x Clover Club Pit Boss (Denizens of the Underworld) 
2x Crooked Attorney (Denizens of the Underworld) 
2x Hatchet Man (Denizens of the Underworld) 
1x Henry Knoll (Denizens of the Underworld) 
1x Isaac Miles (Denizens of the Underworld) 
2x Jacob Finnegan (Denizens of the Underworld) 
3x Johnny V's Dame (Aspirations of Ascension) 
1x Jon Pechon (Written and Bound) 
2x Lena Di Boerio (Denizens of the Underworld) 
1x Martin Herring (Denizens of the Underworld) 
2x Naomi O'Bannion (Denizens of the Underworld) 
1x Numbers Runner (Denizens of the Underworld) 
2x Peter Clover (Seekers of Knowledge) 
1x St. Claire (The Sleeper Below) 
1x Tommy Malloy (Denizens of the Underworld) 
2x Triggerman (Core Set) 
2x Wheelman (Denizens of the Underworld) 

Support (6)
1x City Map (Denizens of the Underworld) 
1x Danny O'Bannion's Office (Denizens of the Underworld) 
1x Dutch Courage (Core Set) 
1x House Advantage (Denizens of the Underworld) 
2x La Bella Luna (Denizens of the Underworld) 

Event (13)
2x Immurement (Denizens of the Underworld) 
2x Kidnapping 101 (Screams from Within) 
3x Low Blow (Core Set) 
3x On the Lam (Denizens of the Underworld) 
1x Panic (Core Set) 
2x Pay Tribute (Denizens of the Underworld) 

GENERAL STRATEGY:

• The idea behind this deck is to leverage on the following:
  • The synergy between Crooked Attorney and La Bella Luna
  • The granting of Willpower to Criminal characters by Clover Club Pit Boss
  • Johny V's Dame to get discount for playing Criminal character in order to establish a strong board presence quickly
  • The ability of Naomi O'Bannion and tactic cards
  • The effects of House Advantage for card draw control (especially when a Tactic card is played via Naomi O'Bannion ability)
  • The many tricks of Syndicate such as uncommitting character via Kidnapping 101, exhausting opposing characters, and some skill manipulation to win story struggle

However, after playing this deck, I find some changes need to be made. Here are my thoughts.

REVIEWING MY MONO-SYNDICATE DECK
Number Runner
I don’t feel Number Runner is a significant card in this deck.  Perhaps, he will be more useful in a deck that is designed to win story struggles using skill like if there is David Pan, Parallel Universe and the conspiracy card A Cunning Ruse.

Correct me if I am wrong but having 2 Arcane icons seems “meh” to me as it will be difficult to commit Number Runner to a story where the Syndicate player will likely to lose on Terror and Combat struggle.  If exhaustion is an effect I want, I think I will be better off putting in some event cards or use Hard Case (which works better if played with Eldritch Nexus).

Isaac Miles
I think Isaac Miles is a good card to disrupt decks that focus on character recursion strategy.  As 2 coster, I like the fact he has 3 Skill and an Arcane and Investigation icon to boot.  My only dislike is that he is an Independent character, meaning he will not be able to derive the benefits from Clover Club Pit Boss and Crooked Attorney.  I think I will maintain him in the deck for fun measure but to have greater consistency, I would probably cut him out.

City Map
City Map does not seem to present any significant impact to this and I feel this is a card that I can do without.  Most of the times, I just build it as resource.  

Danny O'Bannion's Office
The same goes with Danny O’Bannion’s Office  I don’t find that there are many occasion in which I will be having my character destroyed.  But then this may be very match-up dependent.  For example when facing with Cthulhu deck which utilise Deep One Assault and Khopesh.

However, I think with Dutch Courage, it runs counter to the utility of Danny O’Bannion’s Office.

Panic
I find that I seldom can play Panic because most of the time my Domain have 2-2-2 resource due to benefit of Johny V’s Dame.  I feel that Panic will be useful in a deck that will utilise many skill reduction cards and rely in building a Domain with at least 3 or more resources.

Clover Club Bouncer
I find that Clover Club Bouncer without any icons and his ability to reduce a character skill by 1 did not do much for me.  Perhaps, he is better suited in decks that will play Hanyatl’s 12:3 and some high cost character.  Therefore, I would like to replace him with Clover Club Torch Singer.  Even though we have to pay to trigger her ability, the ability to minus 2 skills and having a combat icon seem more significant and she can be supported by Eldritch Nexus.  She can easily put into play when Johny’s V Dame is on the board..

Also, Clover Club Torch Singer may combo well with Henry Knoll to destroy a 3 cost character but this may depends on too many elements to make it work.

Hatchet Man
I am on the fence whether I want to maintain Hatchet Man in this deck since this is not a skill manipulation deck.  It seems to me that Hatchet Man is better suited for defence but I like to have a card that can work for both attacking and defending.

I feel that I wanted to remove him to put another copy of St. Claire and have space for Eldritch Nexus.  But then maybe I am not playing enough game to appreciate his ability.  But I think he could work out well once Clover Club Pit Boss is on the board, so Hatchet Man will not have to worry about getting insane due to loss of Terror struggle and can have the option of applying his ability to other icon struggle.  Also, he can be formidable when supported by Jon Pechon.

LATEST ITERATION
Here the latest iteration of this Mono-Syndicate deck
-2 Clover Club Bouncer
-1 Number Runner
-1 Isaac Miles
-1 Hatchet Man
-1 City Map
-1 Danny O’Bannion’s Office
-1 Panic

+2 Eldritch Nexus
+2 Clover Club Torch Singer
+2 Hard Case (I realise Hard Case is missing in this deck)
+1 Tommy Malloy (to surprise opponent during Combat Struggle)
+1 St. Claire (I like to have another copy of her so I can draw her early and can capitalise on her strong set of icons as well as her ability to prevent any character with 3 skill or less to utilise their icons; can combo well with Clover Club Torch Singer)

WELCOMING SUGGESTIONS AND IDEAS
  1. Do you think there are any cards I should take out and replaced?
  2. Do you think there are cards that should have additional copy?
  3. Do you think this deck has too many unique characters especially after I include another copy of Tommy Malloy and St. Claire?
  4. Do you think this deck is doing too many different things and lack focus?
Ideas and suggestions are welcomed.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

I agree that City Map isn't that good.  In general, it's worth taking a close look at any 1x cards.  Unless you have a way to tutor them the general rule of thumb is that if they aren't good enough to want more then they're likely not good enough to take at all.  There may also be exceptions for very high cost cards that you can't play until very late in the game as well.

St. Claire is very good, certain a second copy would be worthwhile.

Will see if I can find time to post more later but I've got to get going to meet some people...

• JChoong212 likes this

Nightmare588

Nightmare588

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Well you seem to be missing mr. David Pan, whome i consider a staple in syndicate. also Bound and Gagged is worth its weight in gold with the sheer number of times it has blanked someone inportant.

Also fall guy can really save your bacon sometimes.

Lastly, as dborean said, any card in your deck that is a 1 of, and cannot be searched for, should be dropped. choose your cards carefully and congiel a stgrategy, and you cannot go wrong. ive found that tightly focused decks, syndicate or otherwise, preform far better than pocketknife decks as they tend to win before the fringe cases that beat them can be fully mobilised
  • JChoong212 likes this

VonWibble

VonWibble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2996 posts
You have Tactics in the deck? And Naomi to replay them?

Where is the Claret Knight?

JChoong212

JChoong212

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Well you seem to be missing mr. David Pan, whome i consider a staple in syndicate. also Bound and Gagged is worth its weight in gold with the sheer number of times it has blanked someone inportant.

Also fall guy can really save your bacon sometimes.

Lastly, as dborean said, any card in your deck that is a 1 of, and cannot be searched for, should be dropped. choose your cards carefully and congiel a stgrategy, and you cannot go wrong. ive found that tightly focused decks, syndicate or otherwise, preform far better than pocketknife decks as they tend to win before the fringe cases that beat them can be fully mobilised

I didn't have David Pan but will consider of putting him in.  Not sure which card to cut.  Perhaps, I remove Henry Knoll.  He will do well with the presence of Jon Pechon and Crooked Attorney.

My issue with Bound and Gagged is that it is a support card that has to be played during Operation phase so it could not provide the surprise element.  Also, it only works on characters with 2 skill or less but then i can use Skill reducer from Clover Club Torch Singer's and Lena Di Boerio's ability.  But I find there is too much that needs to go on to play Bound and Gagged effectively as compared to some other event cards.

I haven't tried Fall Guy so I wonder what I can take out if I am to put him in with at least 2 copies.  Also, wouldn't it be counter-intuitive having Fall Guy and David Pan? This is  because most of the time David Pan will help win all the struggles so Fall Guy's ability becomes moot.

You have Tactics in the deck? And Naomi to replay them?

Where is the Claret Knight?

Good suggestion. Perhaps I should include at least 2 of them.  In my mind, I was just trying to build a mono-Syndicate decks using only Syndicate cards so I did not give thought to having Claret Knight.

Nightmare588

Nightmare588

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

I didn't have David Pan but will consider of putting him in. Not sure which card to cut. Perhaps, I remove Henry Knoll. He will do well with the presence of Jon Pechon and Crooked Attorney.

My issue with Bound and Gagged is that it is a support card that has to be played during Operation phase so it could not provide the surprise element. Also, it only works on characters with 2 skill or less but then i can use Skill reducer from Clover Club Torch Singer's and Lena Di Boerio's ability. But I find there is too much that needs to go on to play Bound and Gagged effectively as compared to some other event cards.

I haven't tried Fall Guy so I wonder what I can take out if I am to put him in with at least 2 copies. Also, wouldn't it be counter-intuitive having Fall Guy and David Pan? This is because most of the time David Pan will help win all the struggles so Fall Guy's ability becomes moot.

Good suggestion. Perhaps I should include at least 2 of them. In my mind, I was just trying to build a mono-Syndicate decks using only Syndicate cards so I did not give thought to having Claret Knight.

Fall guy is a great backup plan. you hope you never need him, but dont forget that he is still a character with 2 skill, making Pan that much better if needed.

Maybe your meta is different, but locking a character out of stories, espeically early game, is definatly worth it in my games. the fact that you have to play it in the operations phase has never come to me as a disadvantage for how obseenly powerful it is to lock them out of stories AND blank them, for 1 no less. with all your skill reduction in syndicate, getting a really harrowing guy down to 2 skill should never be an issue

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Syndicate