Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Strongest 7 Cost Character

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

Poll: Who ya got? (152 member(s) have cast votes)

Strongest Seven Coster

1. Eddard Stark (11 votes [7.24%])

Percentage of vote: 7.24%

2. Tywin Lannister (27 votes [17.76%])

Percentage of vote: 17.76%

3. Old Bear Mormont (7 votes [4.61%])

Percentage of vote: 4.61%

4. Robert Baratheon (46 votes [30.26%])

Percentage of vote: 30.26%

5. Daenerys Targaryen (21 votes [13.82%])

Percentage of vote: 13.82%

6. Euron Crow's Eye (19 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

7. The Red Viper (8 votes [5.26%])

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

8. The Queen of Thorns (13 votes [8.55%])

Percentage of vote: 8.55%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Alando

Alando

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

1. Dany. Draw wins games. Throw in a great passive ability and lots of in-faction support and she's the winner imo. Immune to Tears of Lys, and if Targ retains their attachment speciality she'll be the best at staying unMilked.

2. Robert. Huge challenge str, renown, and character control in one package. Has Cressen in-faction for Milk.

3. Queen of Thorns. Economy is going to be a problem, at least early game, so her ability does a lot of work and allows a lot of tricks.

4. Tywin. Another economy helper and general large body for challenges.

5. Euron. The intrigue icon is welcome in Greyjoy but his ability is a little too situational.

6. Eddard. Decent, but stealth and other things can Throw an Axe in the gears.

7. Red Viper. Another hefty tricon, but his ability seems too hard to trigger for the cost.

8. Old Bear. Practically blank without the Wall in play. Putting a card into play at the end of challenges removes a lot of the potential Olenna has, and has a far more difficult trigger.

FinalWarrior

FinalWarrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Scion - The problem with Oleanna is that you have to win that intrigue challenge, and her lower strength can make that harder. Also I feel her value degrades over the rounds. Strong at first, but not so much later. Claim 2 can be rough, but hopefully you have the board presence to deal with it.

Kennon - I feel the longer a character is on the board, the more likely he is to not stay there. Especially if he's building power. (Although this may be different now with more dups).  A sudden punch with the Viper late game could put you over the edge. However, you're right about Treachery.

I guess that's why all 8 of these cost 7- there could be an argument for each. I just feel like the Viper is going to be underestimated by a lot of people.

ScionMattly

ScionMattly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1281 posts

Claim two is going to be hard to mitigate when you've spent all your resources on Arianne, Doran, and Viper.

Mulletcheese

Mulletcheese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1050 posts
Viper.

Out of all the characters he has the potential for the biggest power gain.
He may not seem the best at the moment but once standing effects and renown attachments are released he will be really great.

Kennon

Kennon

Podcast Editor

• Small Council
  • 1487 posts

But you have to win by multiples of 5. If he wins a challenge by himself completely undefended that's only 1 power. Him and another character undefended is only likely to get 2. How often is your opponent letting your challenges go undefended entirely with him on the board? I just don't think he's likely to get much past 1 per challenge as an average.

michaelius

michaelius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Danny imho - draw is expensive and very conditional in 2.0 so far so Insight on character that can win 2 challenges is priceless plus her combo toolbox can be brough back from the dead directly into play with Fire&Blood.

Mulletcheese

Mulletcheese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1050 posts

But you have to win by multiples of 5. If he wins a challenge by himself completely undefended that's only 1 power. Him and another character undefended is only likely to get 2. How often is your opponent letting your challenges go undefended entirely with him on the board? I just don't think he's likely to get much past 1 per challenge as an average.

I think it's going to be easy enough to get 1-2 power from him, possibly 3-4 when going for the final push.
Martell control and his 3 icons should enable you to find an opening for him.
Power behind the throne will enable you to get double use out of him.

ScionMattly

ScionMattly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1281 posts

Martell control? What control?

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts

Martell control? What control?

Your judging the whole faction on four cards!

ScionMattly

ScionMattly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1281 posts

there are no more event slots in the core, or location slots in the core. So unless confinement is amazing, i doubt theres a "control" game yet

Mulletcheese

Mulletcheese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1050 posts

Your judging the whole faction on four cards!

We've seen more than 4 martell cards, and we know that they include icon removal, return to hand and forcing characters to defend.

We might not get a "control faction" out of such a small card pool but there will be enough control to force an opening for the viper.

hop

hop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Confinement is something like prince's wrath limited to 4- STR characters.

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts
Okay I'll start arguing about cards until it's out

JCWamma

JCWamma

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 2033 posts

Claim two is going to be hard to mitigate when you've spent all your resources on Arianne, Doran, and Viper.

I don't fully understand why this is a problem for the Viper but not for other factions? Surely you can just as easily say "claim 2 will be hard to mitigate when you spent all your resources on Old Bear, Jon and Benjen", or "Robert, Stannis and Melisandre", or whoever else. 2 claim and a poorly-structure gold curve is an issue for anyone. I know you're disappointed in the Viper, and as I indicated in my ranking I think he is the weakest 7-cost character, but don't you think you're going a little overboard with the hate for it here?

• emptyrepublic, mnBroncos and Avatar like this

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts
Exactly what JC said. I'm also not happy with the Viper I'm really not but acting like it's the most unplayable card ever is greatly under appreciating it. It is a strong card and just gaining three power late game is all it needs to do.

ScionMattly

ScionMattly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1281 posts

Where are people seeing confinement? or the icon removal?

ScionMattly

ScionMattly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1281 posts

I don't fully understand why this is a problem for the Viper but not for other factions? Surely you can just as easily say "claim 2 will be hard to mitigate when you spent all your resources on Old Bear, Jon and Benjen", or "Robert, Stannis and Melisandre", or whoever else. 2 claim and a poorly-structure gold curve is an issue for anyone. I know you're disappointed in the Viper, and as I indicated in my ranking I think he is the weakest 7-cost character, but don't you think you're going a little overboard with the hate for it here?

My aregument was along the lines of "its not good, because you're spending a crapton of resources on three guys when i can get a better result for less, thus giving me buffer for claim"

Mulletcheese

Mulletcheese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1050 posts

Where are people seeing confinement? or the icon removal?

It's on BGG. Choose a character of str 4 or lower and until the end of the phase they lose a MIL, INT and POW icon.

There is also a fuzzy image of what looks to be an orphan of the greenblood, which could be additional control.
Sadly the image is too small and fuzzy to make any text out.

ScionMattly

ScionMattly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1281 posts

Ah, I see it now. 

OKTarg

OKTarg

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1756 posts