Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Valar Morghulis(or the lack thereof)

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

widowmaker93

widowmaker93

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1418 posts

So, many of you may know that I really hated the existence of Valar in 1.0. I thought it was a stupid, broken, necessary evil that was bad for the game. So having said that I have just a couple simple questions...

How does everyone seem to be taking the lack of Valar in the Second Edition environment? Who thinks it should come back in some way? Who wants it to stay gone forever(hint: this is the correct answer ;) )?

Thoughts?

• maxchaos likes this

kizerman86

kizerman86

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1177 posts

I hate the stupid, broken, necessary evil state of the game without Valar.

I get why we don't have it (yet?) but I'm already sick of the race to get your big guys out, then the cat and mouse of Confiscation vs. Milk that follows.

It makes the game feel too shallow, for now.  Once we get Valar (we need more unique characters and more cards in general first) people will stop running 3x of the big guys and games won't feel so relatively 1-dimensional.

DISCLAIMER:  I still love the game, I just long for the classic 1st Edition "feel".  

• imrahil327, TheGriffinReborn, PulseGlazer and 2 others like this

IdeYoshiya

IdeYoshiya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

im%20lovin%20it.jpg_zpsnwvnhwlu.gif

• widowmaker93, starkjoy, Meromero and 1 other like this

IdeYoshiya

IdeYoshiya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts
EDIT: McDouble-post

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts
I'm surprised how much I'm glad it isn't around. It's nice playing characters with out knowing going to die right away from a plot. If it comes back we need more ways to protect our six and seven cost characters or won't play them. Also, need a lot more card draw. Right now top decking on turn four if that is the case when have valar it's going to be a boring game that is decided on top of players deck.
  • widowmaker93 and TravisSnow like this

widowmaker93

widowmaker93

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1418 posts

I get why we don't have it (yet?) but I'm already sick of the race to get your big guys out, then the cat and mouse of Confiscation vs. Milk that follows.

It makes the game feel too shallow, for now.  Once we get Valar (we need more unique characters and more cards in general first) people will stop running 3x of the big guys and games won't feel so relatively 1-dimensional.

DISCLAIMER:  I still love the game, I just long for the classic 1st Edition "feel".  

Well, in the game's defense there is only the Core Set. It's going to feel shallow no matter how many games you play. Once you get more unique characters people will stop running 3x of the big guys by default because there just won't be the deck space to accomodate everything. So that should solve that issue right there. You're right, it no longer has a 1st edition "I play dudes, get board control, you Valar and kill all my guys, we both play dudes, I Valar kill your dudes, then whoever has more cards in hand wins" and honestly thank GOD for that.

• maxchaos and Solaris like this

widowmaker93

widowmaker93

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1418 posts

I'm surprised how much I'm glad it isn't around. It's nice playing characters with out knowing going to die right away from a plot. If it comes back we need more ways to protect our six and seven cost characters or won't play them. Also, need a lot more card draw. Right now top decking on turn four if that is the case when have valar it's going to be a boring game that is decided on top of players deck.

If it comes back I think it needs to be the same. 2/0/0 stats and a reserve of 4 would be fitting. Or, it could even come back as an event that cost 4-5 gold instead of a plot. That would be interesting.

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts

If it comes back I think it needs to be the same. 2/0/0 stats and a reserve of 4 would be fitting. Or, it could even come back as an event that cost 4-5 gold instead of a plot. That would be interesting.

Umm weteroes bleeds?

widowmaker93

widowmaker93

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1418 posts

Umm weteroes bleeds?

Yeah basically the 2.0 Westeros Bleeds but kill all characters instead of discard. Hell give it cannot be cancelled for all I care just don't make it such as easy button.

• mnBroncos likes this

Reclusive

Reclusive

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts

I thought i wouldn't like it but i don't mind anymore.

Varys is a better option with strong counters that someone being ahead should be able to utilize.

We could argue though that by having the reserve mechanic a toned down version of Valar would be ok. But that's another story.

ScionMattly

ScionMattly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1281 posts

I can't wait for someone to cancel Valar as a 4 gold event.

jstrong77

jstrong77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
Is like to see a more elegant design for a"valar effect.". Maybe a plot that had some condition in order to trigger it, or an event that can only be run 1x per deck.

I'm enjoying 2.0 without valar and wouldn't want to see 1.0's "easy button" approach replicated.
  • widowmaker93, mnBroncos and Meromero like this

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts
My only complaint about not having valar is makes it impossible for a real control deck right now. I hope we get more ways to play control focused because think every card game needs control to be viable option for a good card game.

And no kneel (especially one or two cards max turn) is not control

widowmaker93

widowmaker93

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1418 posts

My only complaint about not having valar is makes it impossible for a real control deck right now. I hope we get more ways to play control focused because think every card game needs control to be viable option for a good card game.

And no kneel (especially one or two cards max turn) is not control

Well obviously more control effects will come. I mean do you really think Dracarys and Plaza are the only burn effects that Targ will be getting? Or that Stark isn't going to get some more kill? It'll come guys we just have to be patient. :)

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts
Oh I know just wish was a way to play control deck with just core. But probably for the best of fresh game.

widowmaker93

widowmaker93

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1418 posts

Oh I know just wish was a way to play control deck with just core. But probably for the best of fresh game.

Well Baratheon with the full Melisandre suite and Lightbringer on Robert Baratheon is the only way to really play any sort of control right now.

Speaking of that...who else is super excited that Baratheon has all the kneel?!

• theamazingmrg likes this

RobbyStark

RobbyStark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

about that "mouse and cat race"

with valar it would still be a race, but a most boring one. it would just be whoever drew the dupes and bodyguards

• widowmaker93 and JCWamma like this

widowmaker93

widowmaker93

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1418 posts

with valar it would still be a race, but a most boring one. it would just be whoever drew the dupes and bodyguards

I love that dupes(and attachements) have real value now! When my opponent dupes a unique character now it just makes me want to cry(unless I'm playing Targ then I don't care). Love that feeling.

kizerman86

kizerman86

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1177 posts

But we have dupes and bodyguard in 1st edition, too.  There are just better options than 2 and 3 copies of each unique, better 2 claim plots to punish the hand (below reserve), etc....

I'm not saying we need Valar *now*, I'm saying I want Valar *and the cardpool to support it* now.

I know, I'm being unreasonable, I just can't wait for this game to hit its stride!!

• Nate and PulseGlazer like this

widowmaker93

widowmaker93

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1418 posts

I still don't think Valar is needed and I would love for the designers to just push more targeted kill and discard effects than to give us an easy button board wipe. I hope they at least let the card pool grow and then make a determination on whether the game needs it later on down the line. Even bringing back old school control plots like Winter Storm or First Snow of Winter(the discard version not that LCG crap) would be preferable to Valar.

• IdeYoshiya and Shurdus like this