Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Valar Morghulis(or the lack thereof)

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

Troopershark

Troopershark

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

I certainly am one that wants a real board wipe in the game, even if it discards vs kills, Varys does not work, he's too expensive and conditional considering how often you just don't get to trigger him given every deck has 3 x milk and multiple challenge based kill effects (and I don't see that changing)

• taider54 likes this

michaelius

michaelius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Valar never worked as reset - it had so pathetic stats that if opponent caught you with claim 2 plot you ended even more behind than before it.

It was only usefull as tool to punish people who overcommited to the table.

But it had side effect of forcing almost everyone to play chars x1 so I kinda prefer 2.0 where I can play big icon guys instead of common noname grunts.

• widowmaker93 and theamazingmrg like this

widowmaker93

widowmaker93

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1418 posts

I certainly am one that wants a real board wipe in the game, even if it discards vs kills, Varys does not work, he's too expensive and conditional considering how often you just don't get to trigger him given every deck has 3 x milk and multiple challenge based kill effects (and I don't see that changing)

I'm not hearing any reasons as to WHY you would want a board wipe? I understand that Varys doesn't work as well as everyone thought he would, but he's not really that bad. Milk won't be 3x in every deck forever so once they are played less he will get better.

sidefor

sidefor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Any effect as game-changing as getting every single character off the board absolutely needs to have a huge cost and/or risk associated with it. If that kind of feat should ever become easy, the game just becomes silly

Zigur

Zigur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Valar was a lazy, boring, and stupid card. I am glad that it is gone. You shouldn't be able to ignore the board for two turns and reset the game to cover for your poor planning.

• widowmaker93, starkjoy and Erry81 like this

chem2702

chem2702

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

I have mixed feelings about it. I do agree that it was a bit too easy, like just pushing a button. However, I feel like at the moment, a poor setup is even harder to recover from. Wildfire can be useful, but it rarely does anything more than remove chuds.

widowmaker93

widowmaker93

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1418 posts

I have mixed feelings about it. I do agree that it was a bit too easy, like just pushing a button. However, I feel like at the moment, a poor setup is even harder to recover from. Wildfire can be useful, but it rarely does anything more than remove chuds.

I think Wildfire Assault should have been the 2.0 version of The Aftermath. End of Marshalling choose 3 characters kill the rest. That at least would have had the desired effect of getting the board state closer to being even going into the challenge phase. I think that Wildfire Assault isn't a very good reset option in general. It's just a bad card.

• taider54 and starkjoy like this

chem2702

chem2702

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

I think Wildfire Assault should have been the 2.0 version of The Aftermath. End of Marshalling choose 3 characters kill the rest. That at least would have had the desired effect of getting the board state closer to being even going into the challenge phase. I think that Wildfire Assault isn't a very good reset option in general. It's just a bad card.

Agreed! I miss Aftermath!

• widowmaker93 likes this

starkjoy

starkjoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Agreed. I loved that plot. Reset to three and only three (other than shadows and other effects) was awesome.

On topic, I'm loving having Euron, Balon, Asha, Theon, and friends on the board for a large portion of the game. Feels amazing to have your beloved characters actually get to play the damn game.

• widowmaker93 likes this

IdeYoshiya

IdeYoshiya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

On topic, I'm loving having Euron, Balon, Asha, Theon, and friends on the board for a large portion of the game. Feels amazing to have your beloved characters actually get to play the damn game.

Truth. Just because it's a lethal setting doesn't mean Valar is necessary or even warranted. At no point in the saga does everyone in the world suddenly drop dead simultaneously.
  • widowmaker93 and Meromero like this

widowmaker93

widowmaker93

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1418 posts

Agreed. I loved that plot. Reset to three and only three (other than shadows and other effects) was awesome.

Who knew actually getting to play with your favorite characters for more than 1-2 turns could be an enjoyable experience? Oh...anyone who every played God Mode TRV, that's who.

Truth. Just because it's a lethal setting doesn't mean Valar is necessary or even warranted. At no point in the saga does everyone in the world suddenly drop dead simultaneously.

Hah. It's funny cause it's true.

Solaris

Solaris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1242 posts

I decided to get into 2.0 after reading up on 1.0, and I don't like the Valar environment that forced players to ditch their unique, expensive characters for cheap, nameless, bored characters. I thought 2.0 was going to fix this problem once and for all. For all the talks about being Nedly when playing the game, nothing is less Nedly than choosing a non-unique character over the likes of Eddard Stark, Tywin Lennister, The Red Viper, etc. due to fear of Valar. If Valar's introduction is going to make 2.0 feel more like 1.0, then I question the reason for making 2nd edition in the first place. 

widowmaker93

widowmaker93

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1418 posts

If Valar's introduction is going to make 2.0 feel more like 1.0, then I question the reason for making 2nd edition in the first place. 

Well, the rules were just convoluted to the point where it was getting hard to get new players interested. Add that to the growing card pool and the stagnant meta and it just had to happen. Valar or no Valar Thrones 1.0 needed sent to the incinerator.

taider54

taider54

Advanced Member

• Podcast
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

I believe valar is needed or some other type of board wipe. I would be fine if that card was first snow instead of valar. The reason I think the game needs something is it seems to me whoever gets the lead early rarely loses it. The game is very snowbally at the moment. Better players can stay in the game longer but I've only seen one real comeback so far in this game. We need something to mitigate a poor start. Again it doesn't have to be valar but I believe we need a better board wipe than Varys.

• PulseGlazer likes this

taider54

taider54

Advanced Member

• Podcast
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Another answer could be more draw and more resources. If drawing Varys was easier and having the gold to play him wasn't so difficult maybe he could be the answer. I understand we are only a core into the game. The first cycle could fix this problem. For now I think we need something to make comebacks easier.

ooo

ooo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts

6.jpg

I'd play it.

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts

6.jpg

I'd play it.

get this garbage off the forums of a far superior game. 

• widowmaker93 and FedericoFasullo like this

Solaris

Solaris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1242 posts

6.jpg

I'd play it.

This card was restricted for very good reasons.

ooo

ooo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts

This card was restricted for very good reasons.

Very surely, thought AGOT is a different game with different flow and different rules.  Hell, if you're making Wrath of God a 0 cost card that everyone can start in hand with guaranteed (Valar) then you can play Balance as well.  Wildfire Assault is kind of on the way to being Balance anyway, Balance would just sit somewhere between Valar and Wildfire.  Would actually work pretty nicely I think, but would definitely be highly competitive and heavily played (like Valar).

ZackyMidnight

ZackyMidnight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
I like how it is now.

-varys
-lys
-put to the swords
- wild fire assault
- poppy

Lots of different ways to control the big hitters that you can play around. Just add more options like this