Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Saving from "Waking the Dragon"'s delayed effect

- - - - -

Best Answer Shadowist , 15 August 2015 - 07:41 PM

It can be saved by a dupe which can save from any leaves play effect, but not bodyguard (as this only saves from being killed or discarded). In 1E there was no response save/cancel or response window at the end of phase framework actions so saves could not be activated from effects like The Battle of Oxcross. However as saves in 2.0 are Interrupts they work against any eligible effect regardless of timing, including things that trigger during end-phase framework actions. 

Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Krokmaster

Krokmaster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Waking the Dragon reads: 

Action: Choose and stand a unique [Targaryen] character you control. At the end of the phase, if that character is still in play, return it to your hand.

Since it doesn't have the "cannot be saved" text, is there any reason this can't be saved with dupes? What about an attachment (like Bodyguard) already on the target. Would an event (something like Risen from the Sea) work? I only ask because I recall from looking at 1E rules that there was some oddness about having effects trigger at end of round. 

Shadowist

Shadowist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
✓  Best Answer

It can be saved by a dupe which can save from any leaves play effect, but not bodyguard (as this only saves from being killed or discarded). In 1E there was no response save/cancel or response window at the end of phase framework actions so saves could not be activated from effects like The Battle of Oxcross. However as saves in 2.0 are Interrupts they work against any eligible effect regardless of timing, including things that trigger during end-phase framework actions. 

ktom

ktom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1463 posts

Note that reactions can be used at the end of phases and rounds in 2.0, too.

The important thing to look for in 2.0 is whether or not the triggering condition for your Interrupt of Reaction is taking place. If it is, you're good to go. But pay close attention to what that triggering condition is. As Shadowist says, save effects like Bodyguard and Risen from the Sea will not help against Waking the Dragon because they do not save from a card being returned to hand. 

Krokmaster

Krokmaster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Thanks for the help, and good eye/memory on bodyguard. That makes me like Waking the Dragon a lot more now.

smeehee

smeehee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
do you need multiple dupes to save from multiple Waking the Dragons? i.e. i use 2 waking the dragon to stand the same character twice (at different times) at the end of the phase do i need 2 dupes to save both return to hand effects?

Khudzlin

Khudzlin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1051 posts

Yes, each Waking the Dragon creates a separate delayed effect.