Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Reaction timing (Cards blanked/in deck at time of triggering condition)

- - - - -

Best Answer Staton , 16 August 2015 - 08:55 PM

Yes, you can do that.

Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

palpster

palpster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Suppose I have The Red Viper in play with a Milk of the Poppy on it. I also have Rattleshirt's Raiders. Now if attack in a military challenge with both and the challenge is unopposed I could choose the order of my own reactions, right? So in this case I would first use the Raiders' reaction, discarding the Poppy and then I could still use The Red Viper's reaction and gain 2 power on him for winning a challenge by 10 str

Or does the reaction on Red Viper not exist at that moment, because when the triggering condition was met I in fact didnt HAVE a reaction on Red Viper because of Milk?

For ease of reference:

The Red Viper:

Reaction: After you win a challenge in which The Red Viper is participating as an attacker, he gains 1 power for every 5 STR by which you won the challenge.

Rattlehirt's Raiders:

Reaction: After you win a challenge in which Rattleshirt’s Raiders is participating as an attacker, choose an attachment controlled by the losing opponent, and discard it from play.

Milk of the Poppy (attachment):

Condition.
Terminal. (If attached card leaves play, discard this attachment.)
Treat attached character’s printed text box as if it were blank (except for Traits).

Staton

Staton

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1207 posts
✓  Best Answer

Yes, you can do that.

• emptyrepublic likes this

istaril

istaril

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1732 posts

To expand on what Staton said, there's no language *anywhere* that says that you had to have a card/actionnable card text at the time its triggering condition occured - merely that you have to have the card when the window opens to play it. If a card lets you draw for winning an intrigue challenge (e.g. Lannisport), and that draws you a tears of lys (which can be played as a reaction to winning an intrigue challenge) - since you're still in the "reacting to determining challenge winner" step of the game, you can play that card you just drew. Your situation is basically identical to this one.

• uPoHu4Hu9 likes this

ktom

ktom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1462 posts

There is a small caveat to be aware of, though. A reaction cannot change the characteristics of the triggering condition it is reacting to.

For example, let's say that I do a MIL attack with Asha and Theon Greyjoy (STR 4 and 3 respectively). You defend with Knight of the Tumblestone (STR 2). I win the challenge, 7 to 2. Of course, it's not an unopposed challenge because you have a defender and 2 STR, so it looks like I'm not going to be able to use Asha and Theon's "after you win an unopposed challenge" abilities. But I can react with Put to the Sword (because I won a MIL challenge by 5 or more total STR) and kill your defending Knight of the Tumblestone, removing the only participating defender.

BUT - and here's the point - I still cannot trigger Asha and Theon's "after you win an unopposed challenge" abilities, even though we are still in the reaction window for winning/losing the challenge and you no longer have any defenders. This is because killing the defender didn't change the fact that the challenge I won was not unopposed, and the score counted was 7-2.

• Staton, Bomb, emptyrepublic and 1 other like this

Grimwalker

Grimwalker

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

I've been playing a Stark deck lately and this comes up very often when I play Like Warm Rain.

I still lost the Intrigue Challenge, and even though I just killed the only attacker, it was still probably unopposed (because Stark) and I still have to lose a card, but thankfully Keywords are usually not applicable as the attacker is too dead to resolve them.

Khudzlin

Khudzlin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1000 posts

And Cersei is also too dead to raise the claim if she was killed by Like Warm Rain.

• Grimwalker, FallenOn3 and Mitya like this