Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

2nd Edition Tyrell Thread

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
353 replies to this topic

JCWamma

JCWamma

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 2033 posts

Apologies for the filthy crosspost, but I done wroted an article about the Tyrell deck I've been playing for the last 3 months or so for the white book website, which you can find here. I'd love to hear if anyone else has been trying similar stuff? I feel like there's so much Tyrell can offer in the current meta but it's just being ignored in favour of "big, beefy guys" decks.

• LorasTyrell, VonWibble and NikolaP like this

Radix

Radix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
I have been experimenting with something similar.

I imagine you will include the Ocean Road when it gets released instead of the Blood Groves?

As for attachments, would removing their Int icons also be helpful to preserve your hand and destroy theirs easier?

JCWamma

JCWamma

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 2033 posts
Ocean Road is definitely a direct upgrade, yes. The problem with Attainted is simply space; without Tears or Tyene is nowhere near as important as Imprisoned, and generally I can manage each player's hand size without it so why would I cut anything for them?

LorasTyrell

LorasTyrell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Apologies for the filthy crosspost, but I done wroted an article about the Tyrell deck I've been playing for the last 3 months or so for the white book website, which you can find here. I'd love to hear if anyone else has been trying similar stuff? I feel like there's so much Tyrell can offer in the current meta but it's just being ignored in favour of "big, beefy guys" decks.

Props for testing this and getting good results, it must have been really challenging, it's an awesome deck. Can I please ask you to explain a bit your choice of 3 vipers eyes and hands judgement? I get they are mostly key in order to cancel Treachery and I cannot make up my mind about which one I would have to choose in case I didn't have enough room for both in my deck. Which one would you recommend as a counter? Can you also please tell us about some key situations were you would have liked one over the other?

Thanks again!

JCWamma

JCWamma

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 2033 posts

Props for testing this and getting good results, it must have been really challenging, it's an awesome deck. Can I please ask you to explain a bit your choice of 3 vipers eyes and hands judgement? I get they are mostly key in order to cancel Treachery and I cannot make up my mind about which one I would have to choose in case I didn't have enough room for both in my deck. Which one would you recommend as a counter? Can you also please tell us about some key situations were you would have liked one over the other?

Thanks again!

Thanks for the kind words! Out of the two I prefer Viper Eyes (if I could run a 4-0 split I would...) in almost all scenarios. One is free and the other isn't; one gives me information and the other doesn't; one is useful even if the opponent has no events and the other isn't; and while there are times an opponent plays an event and I'll wish they'd done a military/power challenge first, the majority of the time I can remove harmful events before they do anything. Especially given my biggest focus is on screening Varys and his trigger in the dominance phase.

• LorasTyrell likes this

VonWibble

VonWibble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2996 posts
I can only think of 1 problem for the deck - Crown of Gold. I suppose the best protection against it is to win initiative and go second on the turn you need Varys?

Oh, and figure that if the opponent draws it early they got lucky, and against Targ you could bait it out with Arianne or Nymeria first?

JCWamma

JCWamma

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 2033 posts

I can only think of 1 problem for the deck - Crown of Gold. I suppose the best protection against it is to win initiative and go second on the turn you need Varys?

Oh, and figure that if the opponent draws it early they got lucky, and against Targ you could bait it out with Arianne or Nymeria first?

Against Targ Varys often isn't even needed - their dragons are HFK-bait in the extreme, they have the First Snow weakness, and Imprisoned/Nymeria does a number on them. A Crown on Varys is an inconvenience, but I almost prefer it on him than Nymeria in that match-up!

hagarrr

hagarrr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Interesting read James.

At first glance looking at the decklist it feels... 'janky'. Which would completely put me off building anything like that from the outset. As a noob getting into the game with v2.0, I suppose my idea of a janky deck is probably another man's high skill deck.

I do however like the irony from your words "I feel like there's so much Tyrell can offer in the current meta but it's just being ignored in favour of "big, beefy guys" decks" regarding a faction that has just received Bitterbridge Encampment :)

HidaHayabusa

HidaHayabusa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

It's a toolbox deck that needs tons of testing to get it right, and even if you do, there's a chance that you will be losing to very simplified strategies (i.e. the 47/13 Stark Beef), or a random Gregor that goes through ALL your defenses etc.

The deck is definitely a list that needs practice to understand, and it needs you to fully know the rules behind Action Windows in order to abuse Arianne, Gift of Arbor Red and Bear+Maiden Fair. A truly awesome deck that's high risk/high reward. Glad to see Tyrel/Martel being such a nice toolbox deck.

michaelius

michaelius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Would it make sense to swap into Summer Knights and go with mostly summer themed plots ?

And is setup consisting only of Arbour acceptable ?

hundso

hundso

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

It's a great Deck!

I'm a pretty new Player and was intrigued when i saw the Deck List on ThronesDB a few Weeks ago, so i put it together and gave it a Spin in the Local Meta and it performed very well!

It certainly feels very unique to play especially considering that most people aren't very familiar with Tyrell. The only real Downside is, that it is quite slow to win with, truly a Grinder.

I Changed a few Things however; got rid of the Blood Orange Groove and the single Hand's Judgement to cut the Deck down to 60 Cards and include one Copy of Ser Hobber Redwyne.

I didn't really miss the Economy from the Grove and while having a Judgement in Hand is great, a one of is showing to rarely to really appreciate the card.

Hobber Redwyne however is great in the Deck, with his ability to search for two of your Key Characters.

If only Nymeria were also a Lady.

How do you feel about the new Cards from the last Packs?

I thought about Including Varys's Riddle( Not just for Benefit but also for Style!) and Summer Harvest.

Summer is just an all around solid Economy Plot, and Varys's Riddle has solid Stats and can potentially be very good. You kinda said it yourself in the Article: Optimally you set this Deck up with the Arbor and a 4 cost Body, tempting your opponent to open with his marched to the wall. The Riddle would be the perfect Plot for this Situation.

The Plot i would pull is Trading with the Pentoshi. While i like it for it's Comeback Potential, it just became even riskier to play now with Summer Harvest.

What do you think?

CrocodileJames

CrocodileJames

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
Brilliant read, I'm just gutted in the last two tourneys we have both played in I never got to see it in action. I think that it looks almost vapor proof too.

JCWamma

JCWamma

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 2033 posts

It's a great Deck!

I'm a pretty new Player and was intrigued when i saw the Deck List on ThronesDB a few Weeks ago, so i put it together and gave it a Spin in the Local Meta and it performed very well!

It certainly feels very unique to play especially considering that most people aren't very familiar with Tyrell. The only real Downside is, that it is quite slow to win with, truly a Grinder.

I Changed a few Things however; got rid of the Blood Orange Groove and the single Hand's Judgement to cut the Deck down to 60 Cards and include one Copy of Ser Hobber Redwyne.

I didn't really miss the Economy from the Grove and while having a Judgement in Hand is great, a one of is showing to rarely to really appreciate the card.

Hobber Redwyne however is great in the Deck, with his ability to search for two of your Key Characters.

If only Nymeria were also a Lady.

How do you feel about the new Cards from the last Packs?

I thought about Including Varys's Riddle( Not just for Benefit but also for Style!) and Summer Harvest.

Summer is just an all around solid Economy Plot, and Varys's Riddle has solid Stats and can potentially be very good. You kinda said it yourself in the Article: Optimally you set this Deck up with the Arbor and a 4 cost Body, tempting your opponent to open with his marched to the wall. The Riddle would be the perfect Plot for this Situation.

The Plot i would pull is Trading with the Pentoshi. While i like it for it's Comeback Potential, it just became even riskier to play now with Summer Harvest.

What do you think?

I like Riddle, my one problem being lack of space. I don't like cutting Trading, simply because without it there's no way to guarantee you can afford a Varys. The 'risk' of Summer Harvest isn't too bad here, simply because we don't mind the opponent over-extending too much. Summer Harvest itself is an option, but carries its own risks (the Riddle, mostly, or hitting a low-gold plot), so I personally favour something that the opponent cannot mess up - that's a playstyle thing though, and just a reflection of my somewhat overly-cautious approach, not necessarily the actual correct choice. Glad to hear you've been enjoying the deck!

Radix

Radix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
Wjy not Calling the Banners? If you are playing Varys, the opponenet probably has at least 3 characters out.