Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Night's Watch thread

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
837 replies to this topic

JoeFromCincinnati

JoeFromCincinnati

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1346 posts

My current plot line-up is:

The Long Plan
Counting Coppers
Calm Over Westeros
Game of Thrones
Jousting Contest
Power Behind the Throne
Confiscation

Tempted by Fortified Position but worried about it screwing with my own stuff, especially Nymeria and Unsworn Apprentice.

Our plot decks are very different haha.

I like Feast for the gold and making people think twice about going full bore to get the Wall down.

Building Orders is a must, in my opinion, because there will always be something valuable in those 10 cards. Either a Boneway, A Wall or Ghaston.

And with Newly made lord running around, dupes on locations are even more important.

Calling for gold and initiative.

Calm as a safe turn 1 plot in case I think Naval is sitting around the corner.

Counting Coppers because Martell sucks at drawing cards.

Fortified Position because it counters everything in other people's deck but very little in mine. I value my locations over all other cards in the deck, so if I can blank their Balon for a turn, I'm fine with giving up the ability to steal an icon. And with no or very little stealth, it's easier to defend the Wall with just a small group of characters.

Trading with the Pentoshi to load the board following a Counting Coppers, or to empty your hand knowing you're going to be using Counting Coppers next turn to re-fuel.

I tried The Long Plan, but the gold never seemed to be worth it, unfortunately. I'd get 1 to 2 extra gold that turn. Without Tyrion or In Doran's Name, which I didn't have room for, there isn't much gold to flip to the next turn unless I intentionally don't play anything that turn.

Confiscation I thought about but ultimately, I'd rather just deal with the milks than commit a plot slot to handling them.

I really want to fit in Game of Thrones though...:\

• MagnusLothar likes this

MagnusLothar

MagnusLothar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
I like your logic about Fortified, Pentoshi and Confiscation.

I would probably swap out PbtT for Fortified. My thinking behind PbtT was to have a way of lashing out with TRV mid to late game.

I'll keep Long Plan, though, but not so much for the gold (nice if you get it). What's good about Long Plan is card advantage, especially when followed by Coppers: 8 reserve followed by 10 reserve. I'm inclined to build in your idea about Pentoshi here: Long Plan into Coppers into Pentoshi. Could make for a significant turn 3... So I may take the plunge and leave out Confiscation in favour of Pentoshi. Still, unsettling not to have a way of giving Nymeria and TRV back their mojos.

Jousting Contest is in there as another defence/stall mechanism, so that it's harder for heavy stealth and renown to run amok especially if my opponent is trying to close.

JoeFromCincinnati

JoeFromCincinnati

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1346 posts

I like your logic about Fortified, Pentoshi and Confiscation.

I would probably swap out PbtT for Fortified. My thinking behind PbtT was to have a way of lashing out with TRV mid to late game.

I'll keep Long Plan, though, but not so much for the gold (nice if you get it). What's good about Long Plan is card advantage, especially when followed by Coppers: 8 reserve followed by 10 reserve. I'm inclined to build in your idea about Pentoshi here: Long Plan into Coppers into Pentoshi. Could make for a significant turn 3... So I may take the plunge and leave out Confiscation in favour of Pentoshi. Still, unsettling not to have a way of giving Nymeria and TRV back their mojos.

Jousting Contest is in there as another defence/stall mechanism, so that it's harder for heavy stealth and renown to run amok especially if my opponent is trying to close.

I also don't run The Red Viper (too expensive) and I only run 2x Nymeria, so I consider her a bonus. If she, or Arianne who I only run 1x of, gets milked, I'll just consider that a tragedy and move on haha.

I've always liked Jousting Contest in Wall defense decks, but I've never taken the time to actually implement it. I think I have an unhealthy attachment to Feast for Crows because I seem to be the only NW player who consistently plays it (me and Drakk, actually).

In the 5 games I played this deck, I literally never came close to my reserve haha, so the reserve on The Long Plan isn't that big of a deal for me. If I had more card draw, it may become a bigger thing.

Granted, I'm running much higher income plots than you, so it stands to reason that I would be playing more cards than you, on average.

That's a good thing and a bad thing, to be honest. I am a little more victim to Varys when I play out 10 gold worth of characters haha.

• MagnusLothar likes this

MagnusLothar

MagnusLothar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
If you do decide to go with Game of Thrones you really need 3x Attainted, 3x Confinement, Nymeria at least 2x and 3x Unsworn Apprentice. The idea with the plot is not just to shut down your opponent and virtually guarantee the Wall, but also to hit back and take advantage of their intrigue deficiency with a Tears and/or Doran's Game. I tend not to play GoT before turn 4 for these reasons. Although painful for my opponent, I'd quite happily spend a quantity of gold on that turn just on negative attachments and events (i.e. Confinement) providing I had a reasonable board position.

drakk

drakk

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
people don't run A Feast for Crows?? :o

My plot deck was >

The Long Plan
Counting Coppers
Calling the Banners
A Feast for Crows
Fortified Position

Pretty much played in that order every game, and then Wildfire and Summons, probably didn't ever play Summons, but wildfire was useful from time to time and games don't often go 7 rounds so I felt comfortable with it, I'd switch Summons for Building Orders but don't think I'd change another thing

But I think you play fortified if you play noble lineage, and you play game of thrones if you play attainted, I prefer Noble Lineage because I don't play confiscation there is no removing milks and Noble lineage keeps edric/nymeria useful whilst also being awesome in setup and helps me focus on Power in the deck ( Unless going for a tears or playing against an intrigue-light deck like Stark where I can remove their only intrigue icon, I will usually use nymeria to take a power challenge and make sure if I'm winning challenges those are the ones I'm winning)

JoeFromCincinnati

JoeFromCincinnati

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1346 posts

people don't run A Feast for Crows?? :o

My plot deck was >

The Long Plan
Counting Coppers
Calling the Banners
A Feast for Crows
Fortified Position

Pretty much played in that order every game, and then Wildfire and Summons, probably didn't ever play Summons, but wildfire was useful from time to time and games don't often go 7 rounds so I felt comfortable with it, I'd switch Summons for Building Orders but don't think I'd change another thing

But I think you play fortified if you play noble lineage, and you play game of thrones if you play attainted, I prefer Noble Lineage because I don't play confiscation there is no removing milks and Noble lineage keeps edric/nymeria useful whilst also being awesome in setup and helps me focus on Power in the deck ( Unless going for a tears or playing against an intrigue-light deck like Stark where I can remove their only intrigue icon, I will usually use nymeria to take a power challenge and make sure if I'm winning challenges those are the ones I'm winning)

I've been called greedy for playing Feast for Crows so many times, you have no idea haha.

Maybe people just don't understand the power it offers, maybe they don't understand the amount of soft control it employs, or maybe I'm just crazy. But I love that plot. 6 gold and a bunch of power? It feels like a cheat code haha.

I want to give the Long Plan another shot. It's one less gold than Calm for that turn, but it almost definitely gives you more gold for the next turn, unless they basically skip challenges haha.

I just always feel so safe with Calm Over Westeros haha. I can protect what I feel I need to protect for a turn :P.

drakk

drakk

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
but if you open with calm, stopping power is pointless, so it's just mil and intrigue, and I have plenty of guys that can die (especially bastards daughters) and i'm going to counting coppers the following turn anyway so losing a card isn't the worst,

not saying don't run calm, just having more gold on a counting coppers turn is nice

JoeFromCincinnati

JoeFromCincinnati

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1346 posts

but if you open with calm, stopping power is pointless, so it's just mil and intrigue, and I have plenty of guys that can die (especially bastards daughters) and i'm going to counting coppers the following turn anyway so losing a card isn't the worst,

not saying don't run calm, just having more gold on a counting coppers turn is nice

True.

I'll give it another shot in next week's meeting.

MagnusLothar

MagnusLothar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Don't forget the card advantage you'll have with the high reserve across two turns as well, all ready for a more assertive turn 3: Calling the Banners, Pentoshi etc. Any gold I get from Long Plan is a bonus, not the main reason I play the plot. If your opponent does use up all three challenges... Well, isn't it nice to have minimum 5 gold on a Coppers turn!

drakk

drakk

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
So I'm back once again with another review of the current state of NW Fealty, took longer this time because I was too busy playing Martell/Watch and Jon Snow Lord of the Crossing, but I'm really glad I got around to trying it because it's certainly at it's best so far with this chapter pack.

Went undefeated today at a Store Championship with NW Fealty, unfortunately there were only 6 players in attendance so not the best representation of the deck at a competitive level but the faction will take whatever wins it can get.

Game 1 - Stark, Banner of the Rose
Set up was the classic Wall, Castleblack, Kingsroad, Steward, Turn 1 Pentoshi to get out a Benjen , 2 messenger ravens and aemon, and saved 4 gold (meager!) to put Alliser in to play when he did a mil.

With such an amazing start it is no surprise that I won, he won a total of 1 intrigue challenge the whole game and no other challenges, he used tears of lys which got cancelled, and he never managed to even get 1 power.

Game 2 - Targaryen, Banner of the Rose
Can't remember the setup this game but it wasn't too amazing, I managed to draw Mormont turn 1 and play him with Pentoshi, I didn't see the Wall for a long time and had been using 2 messenger ravens and drawing from insight :(. We got a 20 minute warning (Which meant we'd been playing for 40 minutes) and I had a total of 2 power, it was really scary. He got off a lady sansa's rose and had some renown on Randyl and was around 10 power. I won a feast for crows turn and had a longclaw on mormont and got up to 10 power second last turn and he hadn't won any challenges so I got to put a Messenger raven in to play with mormonts ability! Please give me the wall I said. At last my prayers were answered, got the wall on the last turn and there was nothing he could do.

Played Fortified in to his Clash of kings which meant he couldn't win the power that turn, and played wildfire in to his A Tourney for the King which meant he had to lose margery and rhaegal to keep his jorah with 4 power and randy with several too.

In the end, this was a real come back game and was much harder than the first game, if I didn't see the wall I might've lost.

Game 3 - Stark Fealty
So I had The Wall, Kingsroad, Iron throne, Steward in setup, which I'm happy with , I got a Mormont and benjen in to play turn 1, but he stealthed past mormont with Arya, and had a bunch of mil guys, he played PTTS on Mormont and I lost a benjen dupe and some other guy to mil claim (Sneak attack). Next turn was Marched to the Wall and my board is looking small, I haven't got any card draw and I'm down to like 3 cards in hand, with no more economy for the whole game I was essentially just playing one guy a turn to counteract the mil claim, but I kept the Wall up I think every turn except one where he managed to intimidate an intrigue guy and stealth past the other. I bluffed drawing nothing and sat on all my gold, and got to surprise play Alliser who actually allowed me to win the mil challenge (and he had more mil guys who could've come too!) which was pretty much the game winning play, as not losing a guy for a turn meant I could finally get enough guys out to Seal the game on a Feast for Crows turn, I had 13 power, even he got the wall down and won a power I could get the 3 in dominance and there didn't seem to be a way of even doing that.

Overall - I think this deck has been improved greatly by the release of Practice Blade and Unsworn Apprentice, making your guys stronger and bicons is especially useful , whilst also being set up friendly and saving people from raiding longship / plaza / seastone chair.

Do I think it's tier 1? Probably not, Lanni is still a good matchup for it (can go either way) Bara still probably stomps on it, and Targ can often do pretty good but again its a lot more even than it used to be.

Whilst I like the deck for right now, I think the next pack hurts it and I'm feeling more likely to take a Targ deck to regionals, unless the pack comes out and it's somehow amazing

starkjoy

starkjoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Night's Watch fealty is pretty decent.

I placed 4th out of 12 in a weekly tournament recently. Surprised the hell out of me. All 3 wins (only loss to Grejoy) were routes: 15-1, 15-2, 15-3.

Hmm. That was before practice blades and hedge knights got to be moved in.

Will sub the Knights for Wildling scouts since I'm trying to get Jon involved and using more intrigue characters for tears.

Want me to go first? Kiss Balon, Bob, Robb, etc. goodbye.

Guardian1985

Guardian1985

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

New player trying my luck at nightwatch fealty.

This is my latest iteration of the deck i have come up with and played to some success.

Any suggestions are welcomed!

JoeFromCincinnati

JoeFromCincinnati

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1346 posts

unnamed-4.png

I'm pretty happy about this card.

2 Rangers is a high cost, and it makes running all the rangers kind of important.

Still, the best event for the NW that makes attacking the Wall dangerous in a lot of cases.

• drakk, GalacticTaco and Guardian1985 like this

Odrl

Odrl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

You could also use this to kill your own Benjen, if that gets you to 15. Usually your opponent will stop playing military and avoid Wildfire if you are on 13 or close to it, but now you can just kill him yourself. :)

JoeFromCincinnati

JoeFromCincinnati

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1346 posts

I just run Wildfire, personally.

But who knows. Maybe now I won't have to haha.

chrsjxn

chrsjxn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

unnamed-4.png

I'm pretty happy about this card.

2 Rangers is a high cost, and it makes running all the rangers kind of important.

Still, the best event for the NW that makes attacking the Wall dangerous in a lot of cases.

Just realized: This card is Ranger traited, so The Watch Has Need can fetch it for you... Just need a few more Rangers to go with it now.

JoeFromCincinnati

JoeFromCincinnati

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1346 posts

Just realized: This card is Ranger traited, so The Watch Has Need can fetch it for you... Just need a few more Rangers to go with it now.

Unfortunately, The Watch has Need can only fetch characters.

LoneElfRanger

LoneElfRanger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

That was my first thought, too. There are similar cards in Lord of the Rings that let you search for cards with a Trait that aren't Characters.

GalacticTaco

GalacticTaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Still, the watch has need can probably be used to get a missing ranger (or two) to trigger this event. 

Now, if only NW could have ambush characters...

chrsjxn

chrsjxn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Oh, that's disappointing. Such a potentially cool bit of trait synergy that's been left on the floor.

I think we still need some more rangers to make it really good. It's going to be rough to pay by kneeling out two 4+ cost characters.