Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Organizing thread - CoC Legacy and Support

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

Unnamable

Unnamable

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

I understand your reservations.

If a exfansion happens I imagine it as community submitted themes and mechanic concepts and not as a chance to offer finished card designs. Therefore the opportunity to design a specific card with your image on it still remains as a very unique opportunity. Having a card with a player's image as the art is also a perfect opportunity to use photographs artfully altered using photoshop. I propose that a group of individuals deemed capable by the community head up Theme Development, Art Direction, Mechanic Design, and Development (Playtesting). We could have a mishmash of desperate designs and themes or a coordinated, cohesive balanced effort with the proper organization.

Initially I'm not a fan. Mostly because of the logistics.
1. If there is a fan expansion... People are already designing their own cards.
2. If we want people's face on the card, that'll involve commissioning new art. Which who is paying for that?
3. If people are making their own cards why wait to win a tournament?
4. Who is acting as the developer that your supposed to work with?

Honestly this comes down to not only a question of how many player designed cards but if we can even do them at all.

• Venenos likes this

Mulletcheese

Mulletcheese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1047 posts
Designing cards for prizes is something that should be left to world champions, so the card will work with hall of champions. The other benefits are greatly reduced if the community start releasing their own cards.

The 2016 world championship tournament should happen on OCTGN so the whole world can compete and not just Americans and rich kids :)

alexbobspoons

alexbobspoons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
I think there are actually arguments for the world championships being live person AND octgn.

Live meets keeps the social side alive, gets friends meeting, people watching games, having a drink together. Its an occassion. Previous world championships as far as I know have always needed live meetups so I do think this aspect needs to be preserved. Its an event, a big thing, that gives it weight.
But...
Also, we might now have a lesser limited player base and so we do need inclusion and protection of this valuable commodity. True some people would like to attend and cannot due to location/cash and in the past that was simply "tough luck" but now I think we need to look after the interests of such people a bit better.

We need to preserve the player base on all sides.
So if organisers are available fir this AND willing to cooperate between the two, I think world championship LIVE and OCTGN would be a good idea. Kinda like Wimbledon tennis where you can be singles champion, doubkes champion etc etc. I dont think two seperate catagories would be a problem (but then its not me organising it)
  • tdnordine likes this

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

I just wanted to compile the suggestions so far.

A )    What we can ask from FFG:

1.     Unprecedented prize support at Worlds consisting of residual Call of Cthulhu CCG, LCG, Draft, and OP product.

2.     Special Print-on-Demand story decks created either for Worlds for participants, or for purchase via FFG’s Print-on-Demand system.

3.     An official Send Off event at Worlds with those people who have touched CoC over the years: Eric Lang, Christian Petersen, Steve Horvath, Nate French, Damon Stone, Brad Andres, etc. Mostly for fun, but also perhaps integrating a component where we design a “Legacy” story deck for PoD or a final PoD card or two.

4.     Official side-events at Worlds where you can play pick-up games with the above individuals.

5.     Print-on-Demand packs of a limited selection of CCG cards. (We certainly couldn’t ask for all, as this is hundreds of cards.)

6.     Release of Photoshop or GIMP templates of the CoC card frames, as well as official fonts, to a designated team of individuals responsible for fan creation.

#1-4 should be directed to organizedplay@fantasyflightgames.com.

#5 should be directed to customerservice@fantasyflightgames.com

#6 may need to go higher, so perhaps this should be left to those who already have contacts with Management at FFG, once we appoint the Council (see below).

B )    What we can organize as a community:

1.     Developing fan expansions.

2.     Maintaining an “official” FAQ.

3.     Create rules for multiplayer format.

4.     Create rules for story drafting, or a definitive story set version.

In order to accomplish the goals of Designate a small team of community members to serve as the committee for fan expansions. They would be responsible for vetting fan suggestions, organizing playtesters, developing and editing cards and creative content, raising funds (if necessary), producing a “deliverable”, and communicating with the community at large. It could even be called “The Red Council.” Hehe. There should be a system for nominating and approving the Council.

• MagnusArcanis, Corwin81, Sadric and 1 other like this

MagnusArcanis

MagnusArcanis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
Following up to the stuff at the end of Dan's post.

Before traction is lost, I think there needs to be a team of sorts with at least the following positions

Executive- team lead, point person with ffg.
Lead developer - manages card design, faq, and play test
Op organizer- manages events and prizes
Production manager- puts cards together for and manages whatever distribution model is used.
Editor- provides QA and professionalism to outgoing commission
  • Danigral, RichardPlunkett and alexbobspoons like this

Mulletcheese

Mulletcheese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1047 posts
Don't forget art, story and playtesting teams.

If their are any artists on this forum (or BGG) or you are married to an artist or your kid does art at college and you can bully/bribe them into drawing cthulhu then hastur needs you. We need a central location where people can donate art for future card usage (in return for recognition).

Story has always been important in call of cthulhu, whether in the short stories included in the asylum packs an deluxe boxes, the flavour text on cards or cards based on characters and events from stories. If any author's want to allow us to use their characters or quote their stories in flavour text. Each fan expansion should have a story behind it.

The community as a whole can help with proofreading and playtesting but there needs to be some organization behind it. Advice from people who have already done playtesting would be most welcome.
  • Corwin81, Sadric and alexbobspoons like this

alexbobspoons

alexbobspoons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Following up to the stuff at the end of Dan's post.
Before traction is lost, I think there needs to be a team of sorts with at least the following positions
Executive- team lead, point person with ffg.
Lead developer - manages card design, faq, and play test
Op organizer- manages events and prizes
Production manager- puts cards together for and manages whatever distribution model is used.
Editor- provides QA and professionalism to outgoing commission

Losing traction is an important point. While the final deluxe isnt even with us yet, if this loses traction or forward momentum then it could be dead in the water as interest fades. Very good point.

alexbobspoons

alexbobspoons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
Duplicate post sorry

alexbobspoons

alexbobspoons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
Duplicate post sorry

MagnusArcanis

MagnusArcanis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Don't forget art, story and playtesting teams.

If their are any artists on this forum (or BGG) or you are married to an artist or your kid does art at college and you can bully/bribe them into drawing cthulhu then hastur needs you. We need a central location where people can donate art for future card usage (in return for recognition).

Story has always been important in call of cthulhu, whether in the short stories included in the asylum packs an deluxe boxes, the flavour text on cards or cards based on characters and events from stories. If any author's want to allow us to use their characters or quote their stories in flavour text. Each fan expansion should have a story behind it.

The community as a whole can help with proofreading and playtesting but there needs to be some organization behind it. Advice from people who have already done playtesting would be most welcome.

Need to establish the base team first before I'd worry about Playtesters, Authors and in fact, an editor might not be THAT critical either. However, those wishing for one of the top positions should begin their campaigns now.

• HappyDD likes this

jc1138

jc1138

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

I do artwork, and would probably be best suited, for CoC:LCG, monsters/ancient ones/creatures, and spells.  Could also do items and locations.  I work in watercolor, pencil, pen and ink, calligraphy, etc.  I do not do any computer artwork, but can scan images.  I would be interested in submitting artwork for fan-created sets, and am not bad, but am not at the FFG-artist level.

Cheers!

• Mulletcheese, Carthoris, jasonconlon and 2 others like this

GrahamM

GrahamM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

I'd be happy to work as an editor, although there are no doubt people more qualified than I am.

• jasonconlon likes this

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

Great, thanks for volunteering guys. Anyone else interested in trying to head up the organized effort for continuity of the game?

Skelton

Skelton

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2081 posts
I'll help in whatever capacity I can.

tdnordine

tdnordine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
I am also willing to help out, I'm just not the right person to lead any efforts.

I am located in the Twin Cities though, so I might be useful in situations that require a physical presence.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

I have no art skills, but I can help with playtest or editing.

Mulletcheese

Mulletcheese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1047 posts
Should there be a dedicated sub-forum for the people working on keeping cthulhu alive, with sticky threads for each of the teams we'll need?

I'll help in any way I can, I've started documenting the ccg card pool and I've got plenty of promos that I'd donate as prize support. I've also got the only uk national trophy in existence ;) if there is enough interest for a 2016 uk national I'll defend my title and throw the trophy into the prize pool.

I think top priority is establishing a group of yithian scholars, well respected and very knowledgeable members of the community, who can take ownership of maintaining the FAQ and restricted list as well as providing "official" answers to rule questions.
  • RichardPlunkett and Corwin81 like this

Corwin81

Corwin81

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Wish I could offer my services to lead any team but I essentially spend all my time developing a direct democracy platform (when we're launching I'll post in the Cardgame DB General forum)

Besides I don't think I have the right skills for the positions listed by Magnus.

Here's what I can assist for: card design, art direction and theme coherence, co-authoring stories - basically working in the lead Developer's team.

Corwin81

Corwin81

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

I do artwork, and would probably be best suited, for CoC:LCG, monsters/ancient ones/creatures, and spells.  Could also do items and locations.  I work in watercolor, pencil, pen and ink, calligraphy, etc.  I do not do any computer artwork, but can scan images.  I would be interested in submitting artwork for fan-created sets, and am not bad, but am not at the FFG-artist level.

Cheers!

Do you have any scans of your work available online, e.g. on DeviantArt ?

By the way: I suggest some of us browse DeviantArt to find independent artists interested in Cthulhu mythos who may not necessarily know about the LCG. I'm starting this weekend.

We can reach out and try to convince them to give us the rights to use their work for the expansion.

• alexbobspoons likes this

Corwin81

Corwin81

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Can we pin this topic ? I think it's crucial to keep the momentum.