Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[Data Collection] - "Annals of Castle Black"

- - - - - Data Collection Tournament Results Meta Upcoming Tournaments

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

istaril

istaril

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1741 posts

The Annals of Castle Black

The Annals of Castle Black is a repository for AGOT tournament information dating back to 1st edition. Inspired by 2C1C's regional data collection and L1b3rtine's attempts to get a google spreadsheet to faciliate the process in 2013, I launched this project as a google spreadsheet in early 2014. In February 2016, with the help of James E. (dRakk), I was finally able to turn The Annals into a queryable database - alleviating a number of size and computational constraints that had arrisen with the influx of 2nd edition players.  

As a user, the Annals allows you to browse current and historical data for tournaments throughout the world. These data can be very useful for analyzing the meta-game – player choices of decks and decktypes. Now that it is queryable, you can set custom parameters to 'define' the meta-game that interests you; do you only want to know the results of European tournaments? Only tournaments with a top 4 or larger cut? Only tournaments using the latest Chapter Pack? 

However, this database is only useful if the data continue to be robust. This is entirely dependent on continued community participation in submitting tournament data. Please do your part to obtain and input data!

Where is it: 

The current version 

Archived Versions can be found here: 1st Edition Annals, 2nd Edition Spreadsheets

Instructions: 

For all events you attend, check to see if someone's already submitted your tournament (under "Recent") - if not, proceed to "Add Event"

1. Fill out "Step 1" Tournament Details. Pay particular attention to Latest CP and FAQ, which default to the latest available in the USA
    -Type: Casual/Competitive/Premier is defined by FFG's tourney rules - suggestions are provided in bold.
    -Note that a tournament where the swiss champion is crowned winner is considered a cut of "Top 1"
  2. In "Step 2", Input the Faction/Agenda and any additional information of all the players in the standing they finished the swiss rounds. Please refrain from using full names of players. When using real names, limit yourself to a full firstname, followed by last initial.
  3. For "Step 3" the cut, simply click on the name (or standing) of the player who won the cut match. If the pairings are not identical to those you used, you can manually re-pair them using the "Set Pairings" function.
  • If you are a tournament organizer, filling in the standings after the swiss rounds will allow the spreadsheet to sort out your pairings automatically.
  • While using player names can be useful to serve as a frame of reference and help other players fill in their information, refrain from using full last names. 

What's New?

Queryable database! We've left the land of spreadsheets!

What's Coming?

The new system allows us to do a great deal more than the old spreadsheets, so expect a slew of new features (and, of course, some hitches as we get them implemented). In order of priority, we're working on:
- Ensuring colours tied to a slice stay constant, even when a faction/agenda is missing from the dataset.
- A means to allow a user that has submitted a tournament to readily edit it, and for other users to flag incorrect data.
- A calendar selection for date input, to avoid date format conflicts.
- Fixing compatibility with non-Chrome browsers
- A way to import standing/name/faction data from Tome (Agendas will still have to be manual) or The Jousting Pavilion
- The ability to zoom into a slice of any meta-data pie to get a more detailed breakdown (e.g. by clicking on a faction that won, you'd see which agendas compose that slice). 
- The ability to filter the 'recent' tab in the same way you filter the "The Annals" tab.
- A Mobile Version

FAQ:

1. Entering Data

• I accidentally made a mistake in entering my tournament - what do I do?

While making entries editable by their submittors is our top priority, for now we'd ask you to resubmit the tourney with the correct information, and PM either myself or drakk (or both) to delete the old version. This is just a temporary measure until we get correct editing/flagging in place.

• I only know the top cut, but not the standings of swiss ranked players - what do I do?

The rankings of swiss players outside the cut won't be used in any of the data collection; just list all the other house/agenda/restricted in any order you like.

• I don't know the House/Agenda for a player - what do I do?

Enter them as "unknown"

• My tournament was really small, should I bother adding it?

Yes

• What if we didn't use the same pairings in our cut as the form suggests?

You can overwrite the existing pairings by writing in your own (1 Wins vs 2, for instance).

• What about Melee, and/or other alternate formats?

The data collection for those is more complex, and (in many cases) generates less meaningful statistics for the community at large, and aren't supported by this sheet.

2. Using Entered data: 

• There's a feature I'd like to see, how do I get it incorporated?

Contact me directly here on the boards, or email me here.

• What if I want to use the data you've collected?

Go ahead; the data is for the use of the community. If you specifically need special access to the data, contact me directly either here on the boards, or by email here.

• BDFlory, scantrell24, Ironswimsuit and 3 others like this

istaril

istaril

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1741 posts

As an additional point, I have a few long-term concerns about the Annals. 

• I really lack the time to continue my involvement in it. Of my current Thrones community commitments, this is the one I feel least qualified to run, and I'd really love to have someone  with some more coding experience than I have to pass the torch to.

• I'm not sure what the best model for the "meta-data" is right now. In 1.0, we allowed a "Season" to be defined by FAQs, which, by adding cards to the restricted list, did more to define the meta than the addition of 20 card packs to a 2000 card cardpool. In 2.0, though, the card influx will have a much higher impact, and restricted lists may be non-existent. I'm currently leaning towards having the Meta-data only pull information for the last 2 months of tournaments, but the trouble with that is that the sheet will eventually reach the limit of entries unless I can think of a good way to "break" it into discrete components. Any suggestions?

LaurenF

LaurenF

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 424 posts

As an additional point, I have a few long-term concerns about the Annals. 

• I really lack the time to continue my involvement in it. Of my current Thrones community commitments, this is the one I feel least qualified to run, and I'd really love to have someone  with some more coding experience than I have to pass the torch to.

• I'm not sure what the best model for the "meta-data" is right now. In 1.0, we allowed a "Season" to be defined by FAQs, which, by adding cards to the restricted list, did more to define the meta than the addition of 20 card packs to a 2000 card cardpool. In 2.0, though, the card influx will have a much higher impact, and restricted lists may be non-existent. I'm currently leaning towards having the Meta-data only pull information for the last 2 months of tournaments, but the trouble with that is that the sheet will eventually reach the limit of entries unless I can think of a good way to "break" it into discrete components. Any suggestions?

What about seasons? I.E., SC, Regionals, Nats, Worlds/Stahleck. I suppose the SC season will be the largest--do you think the spreadsheet could handle that as one section?

istaril

istaril

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1741 posts

I've made a lot of efficiency changes, so at the moment, I think I can now handle about 180 different sheets (different tournaments entered). I can improve that number significantly (and fairly quickly) by manually pruning the cells that are there for larger tournaments given that most tournaments won't have 200 participants, meaning I expect I can get that number up to about 250 tournaments without much trouble.

• kizerman86 and Barnie25 like this

drakk

drakk

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Would it be better to do this through a web page hooked up to a database rather than through a spreadsheet?

If you think so I can code it, just tell me how you want it to work.   The advantages would be anyone could submit data, it could be "approved" by a moderator of some description if we wanted and it would always be up to date, plus probably a lot easier to expand and not realistically a limit on how much data it could handle.

• scantrell24, istaril and agktmte like this

istaril

istaril

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1741 posts

Would it be better to do this through a web page hooked up to a database rather than through a spreadsheet?

In short, yes. It's been my intention for a while, but I haven't had the time to do any of the ambitious things I'd had planned. If this is something you're willing to get involved with, send me an email (I see the new cloudflare stuff prevents direct links; the podcast's gmail account (beyondthewallpodcast) would be perfect) and we can chat!

istaril

istaril

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1741 posts

Fixed a bug where figure legends were not showing up for individual tournament data. This is not retro-active, so tournaments entered before today will still not have updated figure legends, but all those entered from now on will. 

None of this affects the metadata or faction data sheets.

istaril

istaril

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1741 posts

Some updates!

1. This is now the largest Annals ever, with 1718 datapoints from 108 tournaments (Oct 10th 2015-Jan 13th 2016). Previous was 4.2, with 1701 (from Nov 2013 - April 2014). Keep in mind that while 1718 decks may not seem like that much data, as the ones in the cut/win are typically playing 4+ matches, performance tracking is actually somewhat robust (it would be the equivalent of an Iron Link database more than 4 times the size, AND there's less likely to be a bias in data submission or from playing "non-optimized" decks).
  2. The optimizations and script are holding up, so this database is still easily navigable and can continue to expand (although not indefinitely, I will reach some hard limits in google sheets - thankfully, it looks like I'll hit the 200 sheet limit and not the 2 million cell limit).
  3. I currently plan to create a new edition of the Annals at the end of Store Championship season (sooner if we hit technical limitations) to break the meta-data into meaningful chunks. This is a temporary measure, because:
  4. There are some efforts underway to turn this into a database (thanks Drakk) you can query (to return results from a selection of criteria, like "All tournaments with more than 20 people using Taking the Black as their most recent pack"), but no progress to show or estimated date of completion. We're looking into several important features to make data submission easier (e.g. copying the output from TOME).

Thank you all for the submissions so far - keep doing so!

• Ratatoskr, kizerman86 and bluebird503 like this

istaril

istaril

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1741 posts

With the help of drakk, the new version of the Annals is now LIVE. I'm extremely excited about it's funcitonality, and some of the things we can do with it now that it's in this form - but James (drakk) deserves the credit here. I've been contacted *many* times by people offering to help move this to a database system, but drakk is the first to really work and make it happen!

• BaraBob likes this

BaraBob

BaraBob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

With the help of drakk, the new version of the Annals is now LIVE. I'm extremely excited about it's funcitonality, and some of the things we can do with it now that it's in this form - but James (drakk) deserves the credit here. I've been contacted *many* times by people offering to help move this to a database system, but drakk is the first to really work and make it happen!

Great work guys! Is there a way to copy-pasta the results in the new system? Either from a spreadsheet, text doc, or tournament software?

Bomb

Bomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2588 posts

Nice job guys!

Is it me, or are all the controls for the new annals website disabled?  I tried this in FireFox and IE so far.

EDIT:  They work in Chrome, however.

drakk

drakk

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
Sorry I've only being doing testing in Chrome, I'll try it out on Firefox soon, IE will never be supported (get a better browser)

Bomb

Bomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2588 posts

Sorry I've only being doing testing in Chrome, I'll try it out on Firefox soon, IE will never be supported (get a better browser)

I found that turning on Compatibility View in IE for the site allowed the controls to be functional.

istaril

istaril

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1741 posts

Great work guys! Is there a way to copy-pasta the results in the new system? Either from a spreadsheet, text doc, or tournament software?

Not currently. We're (read: dRakk, the amazing, is) working on an import system from TOME, the official FFG software, to facilitate data entry - after that, I (actually me) can play around with some alternative solutions to parse text input - but given that if I made it, it'd probably have pretty severe formatting constraints, I'm not sure how globally useful it would be. 

majormarkd

majormarkd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Fantastic work guys, it looks incredible! The data selection points are very intuitive as well as responsive.

I realize this is early and changes may be in the works (or not possible) but I would throw out a few suggestions to maybe streamline the visual processing of information:

• Standardizing Faction colors on the top 3 charts so that Lanni is always red, GJ is always blue, etc, etc. 
  • Maybe doing the same on the banner agendas + NA/Fealty on the lower 3 agenda charts? More agendas will make color coordination very difficult in the future so that may not make sense or be feasible. Edit: Just read the "what's coming portion
  • Ordering factions / agendas lists on the left of the chart by largest to smallest % representation rather than what currently appears to be a pre-set list that isn't even alphabetical or data related its simply always bara -> Lanni -> Targ -> GJ -> Martell -> Tyrell -> Stark -> NW with subtractions for when a house isn't represented.

I'm tossing these thoughts out there because right now I'm looking at 3 faction charts and Lannister is represented as Yellow / Red / Red. Nights watch is Blue / Green / Grey and so on.

On the agenda charts it's also tricky at a glance to process info. The winners chart currently shows Fealty 1st on list - Pink - 29% (largest portion). The Cut chart shows N/A 1st on list - Pink - 4% (Smallest portion). On the 3rd "Played" chart N/A is 1st again - Pink - and a middling portion % (not largest or smallest). The triple variance here can be a bit confusing at first glance.

The way it currently is will also always require re-processing information provided as each time you adjust the data ranges  houses and agendas will inherit new colors as they appear and disappear from representation.

It might streamline processing the data represented just a bit more.

Please don't confuse these comments with lack of appreciation though! It's extremely excellent work and easily the most useful and interesting AGoT tool (outside of a deck builder) that exists.

• istaril likes this

istaril

istaril

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1741 posts

Thanks majormarkd! 

We were a little rushed in pushing this forward (The spreadsheet had about a max of 2 weeks before I had to manually fracture it to accommodate submissions again), so we do have a number of those features on the to-do list. I hadn't thought of the order of presentation (it was fixed in the sheets to tie colours to specific factions), but you're right that a different sorting might be most logical - probably based on representation.

Right now, I think our #1 priority is going to be anything that eases submission - if submitting data becomes a perceived barrier, then the usefulness of any features we had to analyze data plummets drastically. Once we're happy with the functionality of the "input", we'll clean up some of the visualization and add some more information people can pull from the database.

• scantrell24 and majormarkd like this

drakk

drakk

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
Currently the only way I can match Colours to specific Factions/Agendas is to have them ordered in a particular order, hence why it is always bara/lanni/targ etc. and hence why the colours don't match if the data is missing factions/agendas.

It is definitely something that can be worked on in the future but it's not priority atm.
  • majormarkd likes this

theamazingmrg

theamazingmrg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Finally got round to checking out the Annals - excellent stuff!  Easy on the eye and responsive.  Just what I like to see.

Also, entered results for my only event so far in 2016 - simple and straightforward! Keep up the good work!

scantrell24

scantrell24

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3041 posts

Is anyone else getting "webpage not available" on Chrome?

istaril

istaril

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1741 posts

Is anyone else getting "webpage not available" on Chrome?

The site is down today, and will be for a few more hours (till morning in Australia).

Edit: Back up now.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Data Collection, Tournament Results, Meta, Upcoming Tournaments