Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Targaryen Fealty Discussion

- - - - - targaryen fealty deck

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

agktmte

agktmte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1294 posts

I figured I would start this in the shiny new subforum for deck discussion.

Let's talk Targaryen Fealty. I'll start by posting my deck list, maybe some others can post theirs and then we can talk about the differences and why we have them.

I have a deck list with a guide for it posted on thronesDB and there is a video of the tournament stream where my deck is featured in 3 of the 4 streamed matches (I forgot previously that I was under the camera in round 3 as well!) so you can see it in action.

Here is the list if you don't want to click the link.

Fire and Blood

House Targaryen / Fealty

Plots
2x A Noble Cause (Core Set)
1x Confiscation (Core Set)
1x Counting Coppers (Core Set)
1x Filthy Accusations (Core Set)
1x Marched to the Wall (Core Set)
1x Wildfire Assault (Core Set)

Characters
2x Littlefinger (Core Set)
3x Daenerys Targaryen (Core Set)
3x Drogon (Core Set)
3x Khal Drogo (Core Set)
2x Magister Illyrio (Core Set)
3x Rhaegal (Core Set)
3x Ser Jorah Mormont (Core Set)
3x Viserion (Core Set)
2x Viserys Targaryen (Core Set)
3x Braided Warrior (Core Set)
3x Handmaiden (Core Set)
3x Targaryen Loyalist (Core Set)
3x Unsullied (Core Set)

Locations
1x The Iron Throne (Core Set)
3x The Kingsroad (Core Set)
3x The Roseroad (Core Set)
3x Plaza of Punishment (Core Set)
3x Illyrio's Estate (Core Set)

Attachments
2x Seal of the Hand (Core Set)
2x Milk of the Poppy (Core Set)

Events
3x Dracarys! (Core Set)
2x Fire and Blood (Core Set)
2x Waking the Dragon (Core Set)

• Zeetro likes this

Zeetro

Zeetro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
I've used the deck once and it runs well. I wish there was a slot for a second Iron Throbe though. 1 seems too little.
  • agktmte likes this

agktmte

agktmte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1294 posts

I've used the deck once and it runs well. I wish there was a slot for a second Iron Throbe though. 1 seems too little.

Funny because I just threw one in because I wanted the "toolbox" possibility of having it to answer an opponent's Iron Throne (specifically when combined with Chamber of the Painted Table), but since it doesn't really do anything, I've thought about cutting it completely.

Zeetro

Zeetro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Funny because I just threw one in because I wanted the "toolbox" possibility of having it to answer an opponent's Iron Throne (specifically when combined with Chamber of the Painted Table), but since it doesn't really do anything, I've thought about cutting it completely.

Well if that was your intention, it worked in the one game I've used this deck. I randomly pulled it the turn after my Baratheon/NW opponent dropped his. But that is just one game, hardly any concrete proof.
  • agktmte likes this

chem2702

chem2702

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Yeah I feel that it has to be at least 2 or none for Iron Throne. I'm currently not running it.

I run Tears of Lys x2 because it's usually not too difficult to win a Intrigue challenge with Targ.

I also like to have a couple of Bodyguards to protect Dany and Drogo.

I currently don't run Unsullied nor Seal of the Hand, the latter because I feel like I already have enough standing capability with Illyrio, Rhaegal, Handmaidens and Waking the Dragon.

• agktmte likes this

agktmte

agktmte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1294 posts
Tears is a good card for sure. I am thinking about cutting the iron throne for 1, but not sure what the other cut should be. Seal is so good against Bara, having it is more for redundancy. The more stand effects you have, the more likely you are to have one when you need it. Targ does have some great stand on its own, but I'm not sure if it's enough.

chem2702

chem2702

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Yeah, Seal of the Hand would definitely be especially useful for Bara, but I guess it also comes into the Fealty vs NA decision. Fealty is my preference for Targ, so I have to keep my neutrals to 15. I opt for Tears over Seal because it cheaper, I already have other standing abilities, and Tears is also a great card against Bara.

But yeah, its a tough call either way.

agktmte

agktmte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1294 posts

Yeah, Seal of the Hand would definitely be especially useful for Bara, but I guess it also comes into the Fealty vs NA decision. Fealty is my preference for Targ, so I have to keep my neutrals to 15. I opt for Tears over Seal because it cheaper, I already have other standing abilities, and Tears is also a great card against Bara.

But yeah, its a tough call either way.

Would you post your list here? My Fealty deck is only at 13 neutrals, so I wouldn't need to cut any for two copies of Tears. I am interested in what you are using. Maybe Put to the Sword too?

GKZhukov

GKZhukov

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1055 posts

The neutral slots are an interesting one. I'm currently at 2 Littlefinger, 6 Economy, 3 Tears, 2 Seal, 2 Milk.

However I'm wondering if the 2 Milk, 3 Tears is the right amount, and whether PttS and/or Iron Throne might be better shouts in one or more of those slots.

chem2702

chem2702

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Deck Created with CardGameDB.com A Game of Thrones 2nd Edition Deckbuilder

Total Cards: (60)

Faction: 
 Targaryen

Agenda: (1)
1x Fealty (Core Set)

Plot: (7)
1x A Noble Cause (Core Set)
1x Calm Over Westeros (Core Set)
1x Confiscation (Core Set)
1x Counting Coppers (Core Set)
1x Marched to the Wall (Core Set)
1x Summons (Core Set)
1x Wildfire Assault (Core Set)

Character: (33)
3x Braided Warrior (Core Set)
3x Daenerys Targaryen (Core Set)
3x Drogon (Core Set)
3x Handmaiden (Core Set)
3x Khal Drogo (Core Set)
2x Littlefinger (Core Set)
2x Magister Illyrio (Core Set)
3x Rhaegal (Core Set)
3x Ser Jorah Mormont (Core Set)
3x Targaryen Loyalist (Core Set)
3x Viserion (Core Set)
2x Viserys Targaryen (Core Set)

Attachment: (5)
2x Bodyguard (Core Set)
3x Milk of the Poppy (Core Set)

Event: (10)
3x Dracarys! (Core Set)
3x Fire and Blood (Core Set)
2x Tears of Lys (Core Set)
2x Waking the Dragon (Core Set)

3x Illyrio’s Estate (Core Set)
3x Plaza of Punishment (Core Set)
3x The Kingsroad (Core Set)
3x The Roseroad (Core Set)

I'm still not completely set on the plots yet.

PatrickHaynes

PatrickHaynes

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 331 posts

I would say adding at least two tears would be a solid move and I might cut the iron throne for a third, hard to say though. I'm with you on seal of the hand, I think the redundancy is necessary against bara and helpful against everyone else. The only time I'm upset when I draw seal is against heavy aggro or if Dany and Drogo are dead in which case I'm probably pretty much done anyway.

• agktmte likes this

agktmte

agktmte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1294 posts

I would say adding at least two tears would be a solid move and I might cut the iron throne for a third, hard to say though. I'm with you on seal of the hand, I think the redundancy is necessary against bara and helpful against everyone else. The only time I'm upset when I draw seal is against heavy aggro or if Dany and Drogo are dead in which case I'm probably pretty much done anyway.

In a heavy aggro meta dominated by stark and/or greyjoy a strong case can be made for cutting seal of the hand. In a Bara dominated meta it is too good to cut.

Thinking about my deck specifically, I would just swap my two copies of seal for two copies of tears as tech cards for whichever type of deck I expect more. Since tears is so good against stark and j with their low intrigue presence. Obviously Catelyn is a problem, but that's why milk is in the deck.

ZenClix

ZenClix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Since Milk of the Poppy is so prevalent, is there any merit to running 2 Rattleshirt's Raiders to potentially remove it?  Or are the Neutral slots just too precious?  Thank you!

PatrickHaynes

PatrickHaynes

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 331 posts

Since Milk of the Poppy is so prevalent, is there any merit to running 2 Rattleshirt's Raiders to potentially remove it?  Or are the Neutral slots just too precious?  Thank you!

Good question, and the answer in my opinion is yes to both. Rattleshirt's raiders are pretty great but neutral slots are also really tight. If you aren't running PttS then I would say its probably worth it to find a slot for two of them. However if you run confiscation and Viserys that will probably be enough Milk protection for you so they might be able to be cut for better neutrals.

• agktmte likes this

Alexfrog

Alexfrog

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 480 posts

The biggest premium in this deck is the 15 neutral slots.

Tears of Lys is interesting, though harder to land in this than in Targ/Lanni. 

Rattleshirt Raiders is interesting.

While I like the Iron Throne in general, I dont think its good enough in this deck, so I would save the neutral slot. 

agktmte

agktmte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1294 posts

Since Milk of the Poppy is so prevalent, is there any merit to running 2 Rattleshirt's Raiders to potentially remove it? Or are the Neutral slots just too precious? Thank you!

I think Viserys and Confiscation are enough attachment removal. But Raiders are a good neutral solution.

Speaking of neutral cards, I think Targ Fealty works so well because it doesn't need as much neutral support. The faction has stand, attachment removal, and kill effects without needing neutral cards to fill those roles. That means you have a lot more flexibility in choosing neutrals to enhance one of those areas rather than filling in the minimum requirements.
  • PatrickHaynes and ZenClix like this

CrocodileJames

CrocodileJames

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
Is Seal of the Hand nessicary if you have Ilryo and the Handmaidens? Surely that's enough stand without having to sacrifice some other cards?
  • agktmte likes this

chem2702

chem2702

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Is Seal of the Hand nessicary if you have Ilryo and the Handmaidens? Surely that's enough stand without having to sacrifice some other cards?

Don't forget Rhaegal and Waking the Dragon.

But yeah, i think it might be more of a meta call.

• agktmte likes this

agktmte

agktmte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1294 posts

Yes, but Seal is added redundancy when expecting Baratheon, you can't have eniugh stand if you expect to see a lot of Baratheon. If not making a meta call for Seal, try swapping those for two copies of Tears of Lys.

agktmte

agktmte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1294 posts

Don't forget Rhaegal and Waking the Dragon.

But yeah, i think it might be more of a meta call.

Correct. A couple things to remember. Rhaegal only works if you win a challenge with Daenarys, so it doesn't help against Baratheon. And Waking the Dragon is expensive to use on Drogo or Dany without a dupe, but also works as a good counter.

There is enough stand in faction that Seal is not necessary, but to ensure drawing it during a tournament when you expect to see Baratheon is worth it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: targaryen, fealty, deck