Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What's With People Quitting on OCTGN?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

Gingerben

Gingerben

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

So I've played around 3-4 games today on OCTGN, and in all but 1 of those, my opponent conceded before the end of round 1.  

Is this general practice?  It just seems kind of weird to me that all these different players would concede after being Milked, or Marched to the Wall, or even just after I blocked their Sneak Attack challenge?

To be fair, I've been playing a pretty annoying Martell/Lanni deck, so maybe that's just pissing people off . . . 

Do you usually play out your OCTGN games? Or do you concede once one player has established an advantage?

scantrell24

scantrell24

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3041 posts
I go until I have zero hope of winning - almost always at least turn three. Quitting on turn one strikes me as poor sportsmanship.
  • widowmaker93, Kaic, cooleo1c and 1 other like this

istaril

istaril

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1741 posts

I play them out, but admitedly, I tend to play against people I know more often than not - or ask for games through the skype group, where you're more likely to get someone a little more experienced (or at least keener).

If you'd like to joint the skype group, just paste the following into a skype window then click it, or add someone (like myself, aphynes) so I can add you.

skype:?chat&blob=Z7NWAVjnMG3aapdqaeNqhQYeMsmMDsb0BqhgRXfpby9pZZKe22ZYB_3udr5auSmuyeYnHNqIlD2prPCaGcZ9ex7OO8LBX2cVVQtQaEv4ubCGVMl9l6dt4C7gc6W0cfuQ9JWX08H5EXfoay_ls2AUNHwy1lnxfvDxKCQ45LkrYcMSG-O9-2jXcZ6ytWLILdk

• stevehouston and Gingerben like this

chem2702

chem2702

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Conceding in the first round is rare. I've done it occasionally, but not because I got off to a poor start, but because I can't conceivably think of a way to come back from the position I'm in.

dominion

dominion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

some people may be deck testing. and upon realising how their deck needs to be tweaked, they decide to end the game. it wastes your time obviously, but they couldnt be bothered to do some work on checking their cost curve etc first

ingsve

ingsve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

I usually play them out. I'm usually curious to see if there is suddenly something I could think of to turn the tidebut in the core set more often than not you lose once you get behind. Or if you know that you have no answer for a perticular decktype.

Libor

Libor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Maybe it´s bad luck on opponents, I forced my opponent to quit in first round only once when I hit his Marching Orders with Naval superiority. As others I think that quiting the way you describe is very impolite and rude and definitely not your fault. I play my games to my last drop of blood and concede only when I have absolute no chance to get back (12-0 power and nothing on board) and never concede a game that seems close.

I keep track of all my opponents I played with and don´t play again with the ones that behave that way you describe...

szczudel

szczudel

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

I also have noticed significant increase of such behavior. In my opinion it is connected to growing number of new players. New in general not only to AGOT but also to OCTGN.

I call it the "offline" syndrome. Some, that do not see you f2f just does not develop sense of respect to opponent. Probably they do not percept you much different than AI.

saymekian

saymekian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
Well, my opponent last night said they have come across some real jerks lately on OCTGN. So maybe people should also try and be friendlier. I have not experienced the first round concession yet, though. I think my biggest pet peeve online is that people just DON'T TALK unless they have to, keeping it minimal, such as, "Action. Mil. Int. Action." A big reason I love this game is the comeraderie, and at that point, I am basically playing against a computer. So try to be friendly to your opponent! Ask them where they are from, talk strategy, favorite food! Just talk!
  • widowmaker93, Raven1015, 14Shirt and 4 others like this

szczudel

szczudel

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Define "Jerk".

Because one thing is to be rude and one thing is to allow to change a crucial move.

When someone asks after lost challange (due to event or location action) - "Can I take it back?". It is like asking "do you want to loose the game?". 

No, I do not. It is not the reason I went online and spend spent 40 minutes playing. 

When I want to teach someone new something I enter games taged "beginner" or "new player". Then I allow taking steps back and give hints even if it means my loosing the game. Lately I even started asking people before the game if they are beginners. I do it when I do not have 1:20 of time to teach someone, but ~40min for a quick games.

• Gingerben and KvotheBCN like this

ingsve

ingsve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

I Think part of why people tend to quit is that games have a tendency to move slowly compared to live games so you can save a lot of time by giving up on a hopeless situation and go on to another game instead.

• taider54 and zoltan like this

Libor

Libor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Well, my opponent last night said they have come across some real jerks lately on OCTGN. So maybe people should also try and be friendlier. I have not experienced the first round concession yet, though. I think my biggest pet peeve online is that people just DON'T TALK unless they have to, keeping it minimal, such as, "Action. Mil. Int. Action." A big reason I love this game is the comeraderie, and at that point, I am basically playing against a computer. So try to be friendly to your opponent! Ask them where they are from, talk strategy, favorite food! Just talk!

I definitely do it the way you say, I really like to know from where my opponent come from, altough I don´t care for his favorable meal :)  But it´s great to know you play with someone from Taiwan, USA or Chile (I´m from Central Europe). I like to comment his or my moves, good / bad draw (not in impolite way) but after a while you can know if it is pleasant for my opponent or not. Then I concentrate for the game itself.

I personally really don´t like when someone quit after the game is lost (or won, doesn´t matter) without a word but can move across this. 

ojimijam

ojimijam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

But it´s great to know you play with someone from Taiwan 

Either this is me, or there are more out there that i need to know about...

I like to chat a little  during the games, but by far my favourite is when someone sticks around after a particularly close or interesting game just to have a chat. Its great getting a fresh and honest opinion from someone about your deck, or the meta in general especially as it will often be a person you wouldnt get a chance to meet at your normal game night.

JoeFromCincinnati

JoeFromCincinnati

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1346 posts

I've played a pretty good number of games on OCTGN and no one has ever surrendered, even when they probably should have.

I think you just had a bad string of people who either didn't have the time to play, or built inconsistent decks that gave them two terrible set up hands and frustrated them into rage quitting.

Libor

Libor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Either this is me, or there are more out there that i need to know about...

I like to chat a little  during the games, but by far my favourite is when someone sticks around after a particularly close or interesting game just to have a chat. Its great getting a fresh and honest opinion from someone about your deck, or the meta in general especially as it will often be a person you wouldnt get a chance to meet at your normal game night.

It were you :)  We played two or three games somewhen in summer shortly after the game was released. My nick on OCTGN is tyrion003 (I had tyrion nick long before I started with card games based on my book preferences, I used it in various ice-hockey and music forums, keep in for OCTGN but lately when I joint this forum I changed it because I was afreid that there will be too much tyrions here :)   ).

I have you in my "reference book" as very nice a recomended player but I don´t "meet" you very often there - surely due to different time zones.

Sorry to anyone else for off-topic.

• ojimijam likes this

Libor

Libor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

I've played a pretty good number of games on OCTGN and no one has ever surrendered, even when they probably should have.

I think you just had a bad string of people who either didn't have the time to play, or built inconsistent decks that gave them two terrible set up hands and frustrated them into rage quitting.

I have to say that I almost didn´t meet with ragequitters in the first edition era. I still think that even now there is a lot of nice players but sometimes you meet someone who quit the game, is rude and vulgar because I drew good card against his strategy an so on. It happens sometimes. More players in this game mean bigger anonymity and more people that test the game without intention to play it in long term and sometimes they behave that way. 

I remember a person in first edition that commented in the way: you play too slow (I awaited for him to declare the first player) and you play City plots and quit immediately. He drew one more card in marhsalling hoping that I won´t see it during my marshalling action (twice inthe game). After this experience I saw him often hosting games for 2 or 3 hours maybe without anyone to join him because perhaps no one wanted to play with him.So bad reputation in limited number of players worked...

There´s no reason not ask your opponent if he wants try the game from beginning because you have no chance after terrible mulligan (and no reason not to rarely allow new mulligan in casual on-line game). There is no point in crushing your opponent to dirt thanks the truly bad start no matter of you play for fun or for testing your deck. My oppinion.

Butaman551

Butaman551

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

I remember a person in first edition that commented in the way: you play too slow (I awaited for him to declare the first player) and you play City plots and quit immediately. He drew one more card in marhsalling hoping that I won´t see it during my marshalling action (twice inthe game). After this experience I saw him often hosting games for 2 or 3 hours maybe without anyone to join him because perhaps no one wanted to play with him.So bad reputation in limited number of players worked...

I'm getting this strange sense of deja vu. Perhaps....

this is from him
  • Raven1015, VonWibble, stevehouston and 2 others like this

szczudel

szczudel

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

@Libor - what about my entry? If i remember correctly you asked me if you can record game I was playing Targs :)

Masterdinadan

Masterdinadan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
If I had a really terrible setup or a mediocre setup with terrible cards following (like drawing all my limiteds and no characters) I could see giving up early. But I will always at least play out the first round, because you never know what hand your opponent is looking at (it could be as bad as yours)

Wigg

Wigg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

I play games out to the bitter end.  You won't learn how to make a comeback if you never leave yourself in a position to do so.  Plus, if someone finally gets out some crazy sort of combo, they'll be excited to see how it all functions.  While it may be awful to be on the receiving end of it, I think it's something that the player who built the deck would like to see.  That, and it's a learning experience for both players.