Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Targ Melee Thread

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

scantrell24

scantrell24

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3041 posts

I'm torn between Fealty to threaten Dracarys, or No Agenda with Varys. Targ struggles with card draw, so I'm probably targeting the Master of Laws by default, at least in the early game.

Targ Fealty

I'm debating between Clash of Kings and Sneak Attack for my "final turn" plot. I'd like a 2nd Littlefinger, but maybe he isn't as necessary with Counting Coppers in the plot deck. No Milks because of Fealty.

Plot (7)  

1x  Summons

Character (33)  

Attachment (5)  

Location (12)  

Event (10)  

Targ No Agenda

Dupe up, wipe the board, win with renown from Khal, Dany, and Jorah. I might drop Calling the Banners for Building Orders, then pay for Varys with Master of Coin money. 

Plot (7)

1x  Summons

Character (31)
3x  Drogon
3x  Rhaegal
2x  Varys
3x  Viserion

Attachment (7)
3x  Bodyguard

Location (11)

sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2038 posts

Targ Fealty is better because all events potentially cost 0. So much bluff/threat leverage. Love it.

Varys is surely flawed in melee? Need to play him 4th to avoid Milk and maximise over commitment. 4th is premium spot. Then you weather attacks from everyone trying to implode you, put him to the sword, paramour him to burn or just treachery him. He's just too telegraphed a play surely? He's no Westeros Bleeds.

Instead of constructively critiquing your build, I'll list my own Fealty with reasons why below.

TARG PLAZA
Total Cards: (60)
Faction: Targaryen

Agenda: (1)
1x Fealty (Core Set)

Plot: (7)
2x A Clash of Kings (Core Set)
1x Calling the Banners (Core Set)
1x Calm Over Westeros (Core Set)
1x Confiscation (Core Set)
1x Counting Coppers (Core Set)
1x Summons (Core Set)

Character: (32)
3x Daenerys Targaryen (Core Set)
2x Drogon (Core Set)
3x Handmaiden (Core Set)
1x Khal Drogo (Core Set)
1x Littlefinger (Core Set)
3x Magister Illyrio (Core Set)
1x Rattleshirt’s Raiders (Core Set)
3x Rhaegal (Core Set)
3x Ser Jorah Mormont (Core Set)
3x Targaryen Loyalist (Core Set)
3x Unsullied (Core Set)
3x Viserion (Core Set)
3x Viserys Targaryen (Core Set)

Attachment: (1)
1x Seal of the Hand (Core Set)

Event: (15)
3x Dracarys! (Core Set)
3x Fire and Blood (Core Set)
3x Superior Claim (Core Set)
3x The Hand’s Judgment (Core Set)
3x Waking the Dragon (Core Set)

3x Illyrio’s Estate (Core Set)
3x Plaza of Punishment (Core Set)
3x The Kingsroad (Core Set)
3x The Roseroad (Core Set)

I'd probably open Calm over Westeros citing Intrigue (because how else to protect vs Whispers? Your hand is invaluable as it's your deterrent.)

A Plaza build needs Power icons (so does Superior Claim) hence Unsullied. Plaza is amazing leverage vs players, targeting any player so can be used to extort unopposed on promise of hitting someone else. Unsullied cannot be blocked by reducers, this is valuable. Extorting unopposed Power in melee is big.

Braided are just dumb monocons and why on earth kneel twice for military? This isn't aggro crushing of Joust but a subtler game. So 0x Braided (you have sufficient weenies), 1x Khal.

Seal of the Hand x1 is for that alpha turn when you win with Clash of Kings go first pray Hand is in play. You have military deterrent Viserys x3 (Waking x3), Raider x1 (Milk deterrent when in play) and Confiscation to control attachments.

Plot choices are obvious (Clash x2 explained in Greyjoy Thread) with Supporting the Faith rejected because of 4 Reserve, Illyrio and giving Tyrion too much power (nobody can cancel his events).

The reason to play Targ in melee is its stand and the reason to play Targ Fealty in melee is those events. All 3 of them are great for the format (ambush defend a dead dragon, show you can stand defend out of spite, threaten burn) and most importantly free potentially, making people wary of attacking you even when you don't have them.

Hope that explains the small variances between our Fealty builds!

I'm looking forward to more posts in this section. Anyone else play melee?

scantrell24

scantrell24

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3041 posts

Targ Fealty is better because all events potentially cost 0. So much bluff/threat leverage. Love it.

Varys is surely flawed in melee? Need to play him 4th to avoid Milk and maximise over commitment. 4th is premium spot. Then you weather attacks from everyone trying to implode you, put him to the sword, paramour him to burn or just treachery him. He's just too telegraphed a play surely? He's no Westeros Bleeds.

Good points regarding Varys' limitations in Melee.

I like the Unsullied here to deter opposition and trigger Plaza/Superior Claim, but they can be expensive and you only have a 1 Calling the Banners and 0 Noble Cause. 

sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2038 posts

Good points regarding Varys' limitations in Melee.

I like the Unsullied here to deter opposition and trigger Plaza/Superior Claim, but they can be expensive and you only have a 1 Calling the Banners and 0 Noble Cause.

Good point on the economy of the plots. Will review.