Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Bara Fealty Deck Thread

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

Slippy

Slippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

I have been playing around with Bara Fealty for a bit. I have two questions for you seasoned Bara players.

How do you guys handle the increased amount of attachments that are being played to battle Bara Fealty? With Seal of the Hand and Milk of the Poppy begin very strong against Bara, it seems that with just Cressen and a Confiscation Plot it's hard to battle attachments.

Would it be worth it playing a third Cressen? Would you take a second Confiscation plot and give up a Filthy Accusations for it? Are there any other options? Or do you just roll with the punches and hope they don't draw multiple attachments in one game? 

Second question. I've seen Bara Fealty decks with and without the Summons plot. What would you say are your pros and cons to playing Summons? The deck seems dependent on getting key pieces so I don't see you wouldn't run one, even if the gold on the plot if rather low (you can set it up with a variety of economy cards). 

JoeFromCincinnati

JoeFromCincinnati

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1346 posts

I have been playing around with Bara Fealty for a bit. I have two questions for you seasoned Bara players.

How do you guys handle the increased amount of attachments that are being played to battle Bara Fealty? With Seal of the Hand and Milk of the Poppy begin very strong against Bara, it seems that with just Cressen and a Confiscation Plot it's hard to battle attachments.

Would it be worth it playing a third Cressen? Would you take a second Confiscation plot and give up a Filthy Accusations for it? Are there any other options? Or do you just roll with the punches and hope they don't draw multiple attachments in one game? 

Second question. I've seen Bara Fealty decks with and without the Summons plot. What would you say are your pros and cons to playing Summons? The deck seems dependent on getting key pieces so I don't see you wouldn't run one, even if the gold on the plot if rather low (you can set it up with a variety of economy cards). 

For the first question, you could try Here to Serve. Getting Cressen on demand is practically a confiscation plot, but it is effectively a 6 gold plot that gets a power icon on the board.

It isn't the best plot in a fealty deck because right now no faction has more than 1 maester, but it is an option.

Playing Summons is great for Bara because they have three guys in the deck that they want to see as quickly as possible. If you use Summons and there is no Robert, Stannis or Mel in the top 10 cards of your deck, then you get to shuffle the deck and maybe they will be closer to the top of the deck after the shuffle. On the other hand, if you didn't have Summons in that same scenario (where there is no Stan/Rob/Mel in the top 10) then you'd be stuck drawing and not seeing any of them for ~5 turns (assuming you don't have additional card draw. Quicker if you have the Red Keep out)

The downsides are it only has 4 gold and the 0 initiative is terrible for a faction that does like to go second more often than not.

Take this with a grain of salt because I don't play Bara (nor do I even like Bara as a faction), but I play against them a lot because they are such a huge hurdle in deck building in the current meta. And those are the answers I would give concerning those plots.

Slippy

Slippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

I guess you Summons on the first turn anyway to get Mel. Not being able to trigger her on marshalling seems like a small price to pay if the alternative is not having her at all. I am not sure how big a drawback having to go first on the first turn is for Bara, I haven't played them enough to comment on this. I am in no way a good or experienced Bara player but Summons seems worth it to get key characters out. Even if you draw Mel on the first turn, Summoning Bob, Stannis, Fiery Followers or heck, even Selyse if you fear Tears are strong plays. The Gold on Summons isn't too shabby either. 

Here to Serve (The Maester plot) looks pretty strong to me. It puts the character into play, saving you 3 gold, and makes it possible to lower the number of Maesters you have to play. Being able to remove Poppy on demand without having to use the only Confiscation in the plot deck seems pretty good to me. That leaves you with the Confiscate to remove Seal of the Hand. 
Here to Serve isn't the ideal solution to the increase of attachments, I guess, but it's a start. 

How do you guys feel about King Robert's Warhammer that's coming out in Taking the Black? I've read people that were quite excited about it, but I don't see it (yet). The price, the fact it's not R'hllor, that it's better on a large character, that you need to win a challenge first and that it's underwhelming if you are the second player seem to make this card a bit lacklustre to me. What do you think?

Support of the People does feel very strong here. Bara is pretty well represented in the Power challenge and it allows us to tutor The Red Keep or Painted Table (and trigger them in the same turn), key cards in the Bara deck. I am not sure what we would cut for Support though. 

Has anyone ever tried No-Agenda Baratheon to remove some of the weaker in faction cards and add more neutrals? How did that work out and how do you feel Support of the People would fit into it?

Cheers

supercuts

supercuts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
I had never looked at this thread before. Patrick gets more baller points for laying his opinions on the line and making predictions about a tournament HE WAS GOING TO ATTEND. Then he backs it up and the results support his point.

Now, the results of one tournament really shouldnt be considered strong evidence towards any conclusions about the meta - especially a core set tournament. But I respect being willing to put your rep on the line.
  • cml likes this

Shawluck

Shawluck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I try to build decks without peeking at established ones first, so take a look at this and tell me where it goes wrong. It's currently at 61 cards; I'm trying to see where to make the cut at.

Characters
2x Littlefinger (Core Set)
2x Maester Cressen (Core Set)
3x Melisandre (Core Set)
3x Robert Baratheon (Core Set)
1x Selyse Baratheon (Core Set)
2x Shireen Baratheon (Core Set)
2x Stannis Baratheon (Core Set)
2x Bastard in Hiding (Core Set)
3x Fiery Followers (Core Set)
3x King's Hunting Party (Core Set)
3x Dragonstone Faithful (Core Set)
3x Vanguard Lancer (Core Set)
3x Royal Entourage (The Road to Winterfell)

Locations
1x The Iron Throne (Core Set)
3x The Kingsroad (Core Set)
3x The Roseroad (Core Set)
3x Dragonstone Port (Core Set)
3x The Red Keep (Core Set)

Attachments
2x Seal of the Hand (Core Set)
2x Bodyguard (Core Set)
2x Milk of the Poppy (Core Set)
2x Lightbringer (Core Set)

Events
1x The Hand's Judgment (Core Set)
2x Consolidation of Power (Core Set)
2x Ours is the Fury (Core Set)
3x Seen In Flames (Core Set)

agktmte

agktmte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1294 posts

I try to build decks without peeking at established ones first, so take a look at this and tell me where it goes wrong. It's currently at 61 cards; I'm trying to see where to make the cut at.

Characters
2x Littlefinger (Core Set)
2x Maester Cressen (Core Set)
3x Melisandre (Core Set)
1x Selyse Baratheon (Core Set)
2x Shireen Baratheon (Core Set)
2x Stannis Baratheon (Core Set)
2x Bastard in Hiding (Core Set)
3x King's Hunting Party (Core Set)
3x Vanguard Lancer (Core Set)
3x Royal Entourage (The Road to Winterfell)

Locations
3x The Kingsroad (Core Set)

Attachments
2x Seal of the Hand (Core Set)
2x Bodyguard (Core Set)

Events
1x The Hand's Judgment (Core Set)
2x Ours is the Fury (Core Set)

Plots?

• Barnie25 likes this

Alexfrog

Alexfrog

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 480 posts

I think you should definitely be playing 1 Chamber of the Painted Table, and 2 Support of the People.  This combo is too strong, and tutorable, so its too good to not be worth the small amount of deck space.

Little Bird is also a great card in this deck, protecting you from Tears and Greyjoy shenanigans.  But I cant find room in this list.

You therefore need to cut at least two neutrals, so -1 Seal of the hand (sad to lose, but really only Robert is a great target), -1 Hands Judgement (sad but with just one I think the event decks are going to counter it with theirs, and we gotta cut something). 

I don't think most people are playing 3 Kings Hunting Party.  Its really only good for defending you in military challenges, as Baratheon doesn't tend to care much about attacking in military, and its high enough on the cost curve that its harder to play.  To keep the character count up, I would add more dupes of Cressen and Selyse.  They are useful characters and dupes can be taken as claim, which is better than paying 2 for your military claims.

I think I would cut 1 Lightbringer as well, because we have to cut something. 

So maybe:

-3 Kings Hunting Party, -1 Lightbringer, -1 Seal of the Hand, -1 The Hand's Judgement

+1 Chamber of the Painted Table, +2 Support of the People, +1 Selyse, +1 Cressen

And then youre at 60.

Shawluck

Shawluck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Plots?

I haven't settled on a concrete list of plots. I tend to switch out 1 or 2 depending on whether or not I know who I'm facing. Likely x2 Filthy Accusations, x1 Summons, x1 Game of Thrones, x1 Marched to the Wall, x1 Confiscation, x1 A Noble Cause

I think you should definitely be playing 1 Chamber of the Painted Table, and 2 Support of the People.  This combo is too strong, and tutorable, so its too good to not be worth the small amount of deck space.

Little Bird is also a great card in this deck, protecting you from Tears and Greyjoy shenanigans.  But I cant find room in this list.

You therefore need to cut at least two neutrals, so -1 Seal of the hand (sad to lose, but really only Robert is a great target), -1 Hands Judgement (sad but with just one I think the event decks are going to counter it with theirs, and we gotta cut something). 

I don't think most people are playing 3 Kings Hunting Party.  Its really only good for defending you in military challenges, as Baratheon doesn't tend to care much about attacking in military, and its high enough on the cost curve that its harder to play.  To keep the character count up, I would add more dupes of Cressen and Selyse.  They are useful characters and dupes can be taken as claim, which is better than paying 2 for your military claims.

I think I would cut 1 Lightbringer as well, because we have to cut something. 

So maybe:

-3 Kings Hunting Party, -1 Lightbringer, -1 Seal of the Hand, -1 The Hand's Judgement

+1 Chamber of the Painted Table, +2 Support of the People, +1 Selyse, +1 Cressen

And then youre at 60.

Thank you kindly. We'll see how it fares. 

scantrell24

scantrell24

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3041 posts

Here's my Bara Fealty updated with the dominance-themed cards from NMG. 

kizerman86

kizerman86

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1177 posts

Is anyone else finding First Snow to be absolutely amazing for Bara Fealty?

You get all the R'hllor characters back, Gendry stays, Dom is easier to win, the First Snow turn is basically a free turn for you because their board is so much smaller and easier to kneel out, etc....

Oh, and Vanguard Lancers are reusable if you need to buy time for Chamber / Throne / Gendry to just win.

• LoneElfRanger likes this

LoneElfRanger

LoneElfRanger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Is anyone else finding First Snow to be absolutely amazing for Bara Fealty?

You get all the R'hllor characters back, Gendry stays, Dom is easier to win, the First Snow turn is basically a free turn for you because their board is so much smaller and easier to kneel out, etc....

Oh, and Vanguard Lancers are reusable if you need to buy time for Chamber / Throne / Gendry to just win.

This^ so much.

I think, though, you have to run extra protection for your heavies in the form of Bodyguard since you can't rely on feeding a chump to the Stranger.
  • kizerman86 likes this

Odrl

Odrl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

I am however curious to see how my build differs from others as I'm always willing to learn insights and incorporate them in my decks (it's why we come to this subforum). So let's discuss the tiny differences your build has and the reasons why so that we can all refine The Deck To Beat.

Ongoing, this archetype will continue to be strong but hopefully not too strong. The design team & playtesters dropped the ball with this (let's face it, none of us thought this Hyperkneel would be this strong, it looked a bit janky on paper). I'm hoping for a 1-cost neutral attachment (ambush 2) that you discard to stand host or something like that to weaken this dominant build but but fatally.

So post away with your differences. And let's see how this thread develops (eg. do we drop Lancers for Entourage? I say yes!)

So, did we drop Lancers for Entourage? My short answer would be "no", but since it feels like an end of an era today, perhaps a slightly longer answer is in order...

First of all, I hope we are past the point where admitting you play this deck brings shame on you, or calls your mental state into question. I admit it was initially my favourite deck to play, but the negative energy surrounding it ruined it a little for me, and like a lot of people, I prefer to try out new things, so Baratheon just became a boring choice after a while. I came back to this deck after its popularity dropped and found it to still be quite formidable, but new threats have emerged since the Core Set, so it required a little adjustment in how it was played.

The first game against Nymeria was a bit of a shock. I managed to get Melisandre killed with Tears of Lys and Stannis killed for military claim, which would have been very unlikely in the past. Syrio Forel completely changes the equation in military challenges even when kneeling, and the Hound can almost completely avoid kneel by bouncing in and out of hand. Decks that play strong intrigue and lots of Tears of Lys have always been tricky to play against, especially if they play Varys as well, so new tricks for Lannister and Martell have definitely made it more difficult for Baratheon. I was worried this deck was a little outdated, but as I played it more I was beginning to find answers for most problems. I think the main strength of Bara Fealty is its adaptability. It's basically a deck designed to counter your opponent's strategy rather than push your own, so the most important thing is being aware of the biggest dangers and potential threats. You often learn more in defeat than you do in victory, and there really is no substitute for experience...

On a positive note, the emergence of Knight and Crossing decks has made things a little easier again, since those decks don't like Wildfire and they really struggle to overcome the Stannis lock. Greyjoy usually struggles against this deck as well. They don't like to see so many attachments and they especially don't like to be knelt all the time. Targaryen is difficult, and I can't see that changing anytime soon, so the best you can do is to hold your own against them.

So, this was my deck just prior to the release of No Middle Ground:

Total Cards: (60)

Faction: 
 Baratheon

Agenda: (1)
1x Fealty (Core Set)

Plot: (7)
1x A Clash of Kings (Core Set)
1x A Noble Cause (Core Set)
1x Calm Over Westeros (Core Set)
2x Filthy Accusations (Core Set)
1x Summons (Core Set)
1x Wildfire Assault (Core Set)

Character: (30)
3x Bastard in Hiding (Core Set)
3x Maester Cressen (Core Set)
3x Melisandre (Core Set)
1x Moon Boy (The King's Peace)
3x Selyse Baratheon (Core Set)
2x Ser Davos Seaworth (Core Set)
1x Shireen Baratheon (Core Set)
3x Stannis Baratheon (Core Set)
2x Vanguard Lancer (Core Set)

Attachment: (9)
2x Bodyguard (Core Set)
2x King Robert’s Warhammer (Taking the Black)
1x Seal of the Hand (Core Set)

Event: (8)
1x Ours is the Fury (Core Set)
2x Support of the People (Taking the Black)

1x Chamber of the Painted Table (Core Set)
2x The Kingsroad (Core Set)

Looking at this list, it's still remarkably similar to the one from the Core Set environment. It only includes two of the six cards Baratheon got in the chapter packs up to this point, and only one additional neutral card. I've tested a few others as well but I felt they weren't contributing much, so I've kind of gone back to basics. Let's discuss some of the choices, then perhaps a quick look into the future...

THE MAIN PROTAGONISTS
3x Melisandre
3x Robert Baratheon
3x Stannis Baratheon

No controversy there. We have three cards that work really well together, and you are generally looking to get at least two of them on the board. Stannis is a somewhat underrated member of this trio, and I sometimes see only two copies of him played, but I think that's a mistake. He is more situational than the other two, but there are some decks that just cannot deal with him, especially since the Lord of the Crossing came out. These decks rely on lots of different icons and characters, and they can't deal with most of their board being knelt. I have fond memories of two games where Melisandre got hit with Heads on Spikes in round 1, but I still won comfortably because of Stannis. Just thinking about it, it was against the kind of decks where one targeted kneel wouldn't have been that powerful, so I never really missed Melisandre. If you don't have any of your big characters in your opening hand, you will probably be playing an early Summons, and you might need to make a decision. Don't automatically take Melisandre without considering how Stannis would affect the game...

KEEPING THEM ALIVE
2x Bodyguard
3x Seen In Flames
3x Selyse Baratheon

The deck is generally very resilient and hangs in there even with a slow start, but one thing that can ruin your chances is if someone dies who wasn't supposed to die. If you are playing three copies of your main characters, there is a decent chance you can dupe them, and you have two Bodyguards for additional protection. The Bodyguards automatically protect you from the Seastone Chair as well. The first round or two are where you are the most vulnerable, so you have to be careful not to play a big character if you can't protect them. Opening with Calm Over Westeros is a good move most of the time. It protects you from high military claim, and it wins initiative against plots such as A Noble Cause and Summons, so there is a decent chance you could go second and know exactly what kind of threat you are facing.

Targeted kill can be a problem for this deck. Three copies of Selyse may seem excessive, but I've found Tears of Lys to be a bigger danger than Put to the Sword or military claim recently. Her cost is a problem though, as it's difficult to play her alongside Robert or Stannis early on and still have the gold left to pay for her ability. I think the role of Seen in Flames has changed a little since the Core Set days. It used to be a luxury to be able to look at your opponent's hand and just discard their best card, but now I see Seen in Flames as more of a defensive tool. It basically works as a Hand's Judgement with a cost of 1, and it helps you pre-emptively discard Tears of Lys or Put to the Sword, or at least check if your opponent has it. You might also need to use it as a "delayed kneel", in case you are going first and something nasty comes on, such as Ice on a character that is still standing.

The other problem you might be facing is the Varys reset, so it's very useful to keep one of your big characters on the board after it happens, along with something you can march to the wall. That's easier said than done though...

SUPPORTING CHARACTERS
2x Ser Davos Seaworth
3x Selyse Baratheon
3x Maester Cressen

Davos is a nice character to have on the board, but he is not really essential, and there is no real need to dupe him. I think two copies are fine. He also works well with Wildfire, especially in the later rounds where you usually have the gold to just replay him. Selyse has some use beyond protecting from Tears as well. She can give someone like Robert or Davos an intrigue icon to use offensively, or she can just participate in intrigue challenges herself, since Baratheon doesn't have that many intrigue icons currently. She also works even when kneeling, which is great for the Stannis lock, and of course she has the R'hllor trait.

Maester Cressen is an extremely important piece of the puzzle for this deck. You have a couple of options here... You can play Confiscation to make him less essential. You can play Here to Serve to find him on demand, which I've decided against, because I didn't want to play a search plot with only one available target. Or you can play all three copies and hope to draw him, or perhaps find him with Summons as a last resort. I think this is probably the best option. I like to keep him in my hand until I actually need to use his ability, otherwise he tends to die in Wildfire and you might be stuck with an unremovable Milk and no Confiscation.

EXPENDABLE CHARACTERS
3x Bastard in Hiding
2x Vanguard Lancer
1x Shireen Baratheon
3x Dragonstone Faithful

Now we come to the Royal Entourage dilemma. Frankly, I think its forced reaction is too difficult to play around. Intrigue decks are everywhere and they kneel it immediately if they go first. If they go second, you often have no real need for Royal Entourage in an attack, but if you leave it to defend, the opponent will just open with intrigue and kneel it anyway. There are still a lot of situations where it might work, but it's a little too unreliable for my taste. Bastard in Hiding is clearly better, and I prefer the Vanguard Lancer as well, despite it only having one icon and an uninspired ability that only makes a difference in a small percentage of games. The Royal Entourage just doesn't impress me, so I will wait for the next generic Baratheon character to come along before I consider replacing the current ones.

CONTROLLING YOUR OPPONENT
3x Fiery Followers
2x Lightbringer
1x Seal of the Hand
2x King Robert’s Warhammer
2x Consolidation of Power
2x Milk of the Poppy

Since preventing your opponent from playing is your main strategy, you need as many cards as possible that help you do that. Three copies of Fiery Followers is a pretty unanimous choice in Bara Fealty decks, as they work so well with Melisandre, Stannis and the Chamber of the Painted Table. The other cards in this group, however, are more debatable.

Lightbringer is not the most inspired of weapons. Robert and Stannis are its only realistic targets in this deck, and it's a completely dead card on anyone else. It's even dead on Robert if he gets milked. Still, I like to see it in my hand. If nothing else, it's a very cheap R'hllor card to trigger Melisandre, and it's great on Robert once you have succeeded in stalling your opponent and you start accumulating power yourself. It basically works as a cheaper Seal of the Hand in that case, but I prefer to include a copy of Seal as well, in case Robert gets knelt before challenges.

King Robert's Warhammer is one of the few new cards I have included since the Core Set, and I've been very pleased with it. Ideally you want it on Robert to kneel virtually all of your opponent's board, but it's a bit of a waste if everything stands at the end of the round, so this card is at its best when combined with Stannis. It's a great advantage that Baratheon doesn't really need to obsess about the initiative battle. Usually you want to go second to make sure you use Melisandre on the biggest threat, but going first means that Robert can intimidate someone big most of the time, and your opponent definitely doesn't like to see you play the Warhammer when going first. Stannis means you can use the Warhammer to great effect even when going second, since it's more of a long-term investment in that case. And if you only have Stannis out with no Robert, I would still use the Warhammer at the earliest opportunity. Consolidation of Power goes along nicely with this tactic as well. Yes, you can use it to kneel a 4-strength character if that gets you out of trouble, but it can also be good to go for quantity over quality with this card sometimes. Kneeling two reducers and a Lordsport Shipwright is as good as anything, especially with Stannis out. You can also surprise your opponent with this when you go second, since you can reduce its cost to 0 with Fealty. It's such a great card that even three copies wouldn't be excessive, but alas, you can't have everything.

Could we do without Milk of the Poppy in this deck? Possibly, but kneel doesn't work against everything, and I like to have an answer for characters that still hinder you even when kneeling. Robb Stark is the single most annoying character for this deck, as mass stand completely destroys your strategy. Nymeria is a great target as well, as are Tyrion, Arianne and Drogo. It's nice if you can intercept Varys with a Milk as well, but that's not something you can realistically plan on.

DRAW AND DOMINANCE
3x The Red Keep
1x Moon Boy
2x Support of the People
1x The Iron Throne
1x Chamber of the Painted Table

I think the Red Keep is non-negotiable, you want it in play as soon as possible. Once in play, it helps to defend itself and makes triggering Support of the People a lot easier. Baratheon should generally be strong enough in power challenges to trigger the Red Keep more often than not, and if the opponent goes out of their way to prevent it, at least they are wasting most of their resources on something that is only mildly annoying for you. The addition of Moon Boy has been very helpful in recent times. Unlike Royal Entourage, Moon Boy's forced reaction is quite easy to play around. You can usually tell whether you are going to win the challenge before declaring Moon Boy, and if there are any possible surprises, just leave him out. I mostly just stick him in a challenge that I can't fail to win, possibly alongside Robert or Davos. He can also be used as a sort of a consolation prize when the Red Keep doesn't trigger. If your opponent plays a big power challenge that you can't defend, just concede it and save Moon Boy for your counter to at least draw one card. It's really nice to draw Moon Boy early, but I'm reluctant to include more than one copy, since he dies pretty easily.

I have seen two copies of Support of the People in a lot of Bara Fealty decks and I like this idea myself. It basically replaces additional copies of the Iron Throne and the Chamber of the Painted Table. I usually wait until I have one of the locations in hand, then search for the other one with Support of the People, which is fairly easy to do in this deck. The downside of having only one copy of each is that it's gone forever if something happens to it, and of course the Newly-Made Lord is something you can't really defend against. The Iron Throne and the Painted Table is a nice combination to have on the board, but at the end of the day, having only one is still pretty good. You can also use Support of the People to find the Red Keep if you haven't drawn it early, so it's definitely an event worth including.

ECONOMY
3x Dragonstone Port
3x The Roseroad
2x The Kingsroad

I think this deck can do without the third Kingsroad. The only really expensive characters are Robert and Stannis, both reducible by Fealty, and you are playing A Noble Cause to make sure you can always play them. My version of this deck has an additional economy bonus, because all 30 characters are Baratheon, as are most of the locations and attachments. So Dragonstone Port reduces almost every card, which is bound to make a slight different over the course of a game. If you include more expensive neutrals such as Littlefinger or Syrio, or even Varys, then a third Kingsroad will probably be needed as well.

LUXURY CARDS
1x Ours is the Fury

I'm not sure what else to call this card. The beauty of this deck is that the cards work so well with one another and most of them perform more than one task, but Ours is the Fury doesn't really have much synergy with anything else. It's useless if you go second, which is mostly going to be the case against decks that try to kill your big characters early on. It's also a little too expensive to play when you are already under pressure, and Robert is your only character that can single-handedly turn challenges in your favour, so ideally you want to use it on him. On the plus side, its cost can make it difficult for your opponent to cancel, and it is a strong play when it comes good. I am not a fan of cards I can't fully rely on, so I will either replace this with something better in the future, or find a more reliable way of using it.

NOTABLE OMISSIONS
King's Hunting Party - Too expensive for what it provides, and no power icon is a big liability in this deck.

Renly Baratheon - Designed with the banner agenda in mind. His text may as well be blank in this deck, and 6 cost for a 4-strength blank tricon is just not worth it.

Littlefinger - I was surprised by how little use I had for Littlefinger in recent games. For some reason the Red Keep seems easier to defend these days. Maybe it's because the opposition is different, or perhaps I've just learnt to play a little better. Littlefinger just seems like a really expensive way to draw two cards now, so I've dropped him.

Syrio Forel - Annoying to play against, so perhaps this is one card I should consider. I don't really play much offensive military though, so the main use of Syrio would probably be to make sure Robert can't be stealthed on defence.

Put to the Sword - As above. Robert is strong enough to allow you to occasionally trigger this, but I prefer kneel over kill. I would actually rather include Put to the Torch, because Ghaston Grey blocks all of your plans with Robert, but that's just one card...

Superior Claim - I used to have three copies of this at one point, but the chapter packs have made it increasingly more difficult to survive the early game, so Superior Claim was a luxury I could no longer afford.

The Hand's Judgement - I think we can do without this for the moment, as Seen in Flames can be used for a similar purpose.

In the Name of Your King! - I've tried this and it was nice the one time I used it successfully, but it can easily become a card that does nothing and just sits in your hand. Also, it clashes with Fealty.

PLOTS
1x A Clash of Kings
1x A Noble Cause
1x Calm Over Westeros
2x Filthy Accusations
1x Summons
1x Wildfire Assault

These are pretty standard. Playing only 30 characters is very low in the current environment and I do get an occasional weak setup because of it. Opening with Calm Over Westeros on military claim is therefore a common play, and I find that the deck survives slow starts fairly well. Summons is needed if you don't see any of your big characters early on, or it can grab Cressen or a R'hllor character mid game. I try not to waste it when it's not needed though, because things can happen. Still having Summons available after a Varys reset can be invaluable, for example.

Wildfire Assault usually splits opinion. I like it in this deck, because the deck is very strong in a 3 on 3 situation, and kneel can turn the numbers even more in your favour. It also has Shireen who dies well in Wildifre, and Davos who returns to your hand to be played again. Another thing you need to be careful with is committing fully to the Stannis lock, because it can get broken unexpectedly. An untimely Milk or a Fortified Position can be devastating, so it's nice to save your Wildfire to counter a potential mass stand situation. Most games involving this deck are decided in Round 5 or 6, so there is decent chance you can avoid playing Wildfire if it doesn't suit you. There will be various resets and partial resets available in the future, but I can definitely see Wildfire surviving as Baratheon's preferred choice for some time.

A Clash of Kings is a very important plot in this deck, and I usually play it in the round I plan to win in. It wins initiative against closing plots such as Rise of the Kraken and A Tourney for the King, and also against Wildfire and Marched to the Wall. You just need Robert with one of his attachments and it should be enough to either get you over the line or close to it.

Filthy Accusations can be a luxury in some situations, but you do need it when you don't have Melisandre, and it does have half a chance of winning initiative as well. I have two copies, because I see it as the default plot to include when there is no other obvious choice. A Feast for Crows was a decent alternative, as Baratheon is strong in dominance, but the low reserve makes it impossible to play early, and the low initiative is a problem later in the game. Besides Confiscation and Here to Serve, I've also considered the two high-gold plots, Trading with the Pentoshi and Calling the Banners, but I reckon your economy is strong enough to make the extra kneel of Filthy Accusations a more valuable option. Heads on Spikes is another plot I tried out. I thought it would be a good counter for characters such as Arianne and the Hound that go back to hand, and Seen in Flames could maximize your chances of hitting a character. It was a nice theory, but unfortunately it didn't work as well in practice as I'd hoped.

Oh, and before I forget, I obviously considered the King's Peace as well but I think it would be an awful choice. The gold is nothing special, it automatically loses initiative, and just to rub it in, it has poor reserve as well. As for the text, I can just imagine the opponent laughing in my face after reading that. There is no chance in hell I would even consider it if it was a neutral plot.

So, where do we go from here?

There are only 13 neutral cards in my deck at the moment, so there is definitely some room for improvement there. It's interesting, the First Snow of Winter is expected to be a pivotal plot that changes the way this game is played, but most people are focusing on the negative effects it will have on their deck, rather than the potential to use it to their advantage. That makes me think everyone will prepare for this plot, but it might end up seeing less play than is expected at the moment. Still, at least two copies of Gendry will probably need to be included, and it's a nice card regardless of First Snow. The forced reaction doesn't seem too bad, and you do have the Bastard in Hiding to sacrifice if the worst happens. Tobho Mott's Armory could be another good target for Support of the People, so I would initially include one copy. Both cards enhance Baratheon's dominance theme, so A Feast for Crows just might replace one Filthy Accusations, as you could now gain 5 power in one round from dominance alone.

The King's Hunting Party might also be worth considering now. It's a strong military presence that survives First Snow and helps protect your key characters, and the upcoming King characters in the next cycle will make it more likely for the Hunting Party to get the intrigue icon, which has been almost unheard of until now. I would also reconsider In the Name of Your King!, because avoiding military claim when you have no expendable characters on the board will now be a necessity.

Personally, I am more worried about Blood of the Dragon than First Snow. The Crown of Gold is already annoying enough when it kills Melisandre, but the prospect of it killing Robert or Stannis in the Marshalling Phase, and no way to prevent it? That really would be a setback that would be difficult to recover from. The upcoming Quentyn Martell will be tough to play against as well, with his ability to kill Robert in the Plot Phase during Wildfire. It seems the Eyrie will have to be seriously considered, despite its cost. Anyway, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. As for know, these would be my updates of the above deck:

-1 Filthy Accusation
+1 A Feast for Crows

-1 Selyse Baratheon
-1 The Red Keep
-1 Seal of the Hand
-1 Ours is the Fury
+2 Gendry
+1 Tobho Mott's Armory
+1 In the Name of Your King!

Selyse's value goes down a little with First Snow, so replacing her with Gendry seems obvious. Another copy of Gendry also makes it 31 characters now, still low, but slightly better than it was. I said the Red Keep was non-negotiable, but the Armory seems like a fairly reliable card draw as well, and this gives you the chance to get both on the board and draw three cards per round. Too optimistic perhaps? I'm also not sure about In the Name of Your King! Only one copy means you are less likely to have it in your hand when you really need it, but I think it could get you out of trouble more often than Ours is the Fury can. The Seal also has to go, in favour of the second Gendry. It's a shame, but I can't think of any other card to cut.

Time will tell I suppose. As someone who is relatively new to this game and the concept of card games in general (I've enjoyed it immensely, so I only wish I'd discovered this passion sooner), I can admit that a lot of decks I build are fairly weak at first, and quite often I just have to concede that they don't work and give up on them. But Bara Fealty has a habit of eventually finding answers for most problems, and after losing with it, I always feel like there was something I could have done differently to give myself a chance. I think I probably have a slightly better record with Targaryen Fealty (though I'm not keeping any stats), but at the risk of being called "mean spirited", I just find Bara Fealty more fun to play. Hopefully it remains a formidable force in the game for the foreseeable future. :)

• OKTarg, agktmte, mplain and 1 other like this

scantrell24

scantrell24

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3041 posts

I set out to build a deck with the most kneel possible, and I arrived at this Bara Fealty list. I'll probably have to cut one of the ability plots for more money (a second Calling?) but here's the first draft.

1x  A Game of Thrones (shut down Greyjoy)
1x  Filthy Accusations (maybe double this over Building Orders or Game of Thrones)
1x  Summons

Character (29)
1x  King's Hunting Party (could be Gendry instead)
2x  Moon Boy

Attachment (7)
1x  Bodyguard
2x  Motley

Location (13)
1x  Shadowblack Lane (conflicts with Fealty, unfortunately)

Event (11)
3x  Even-Handed Justice (maybe replace the 3rd with a Chamber of the Painted Table)

JCWamma

JCWamma

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 2033 posts

Firstly on your notes, I don't think you should run Chamber of Gendry in this build unless you also find room for Iron Throne, otherwise Stannis's ability effectively means you actually give up dominance every round to anyone running the Throne. This isn't a dominance build in essence, it's a kneel build.

The character base is quite small at only 29, and only includes 8 intrigue icons. I don't think Shadowblack Lane is therefore justifiable - and in any case it clashes with the agenda as you point out. Support of the People also seems like it's doing a whole lot of nothing for a valuable slot in the deck. You only really need to fetch the Red Keep with it, but it's easiest to trigger once you've already found said Keep.

I personally think that, post-First Snow, only 1x Davos is a mistake. You need to increase your chances of seeing him by that key turn. I'd cut the King's Hunting Party and up him to 3x (using one of the slots created before). In that other remaining slot I'd put a second copy of one of your weenies, probably Vanguard Lancer due to him being nice to replay post-First Snow and the intrigue weakness making Royal Entourage worse. Other good options for that slot would be a second Cressen (Frozen Solid, icon-removal attachments and Milk are all bad news for you), a second Lightbringer or a first Seal of the Hand, and also Rattleshirt's Raiders - I know you have Cressen x1 and the plot, but there are quite a lot of attachments going round, and you need to be able to answer the attachments I mentioned before, especially FroSo.

Lastly in the plots, I disagree on Game of Thrones. Yes it's good versus Greyjoy, but so's kneeling all their stuff :P. You have 8 intrigue icons as I mentioned before, and in every non-Greyjoy match-up (and possibly even some Greyjoy match-ups) I only see this effect hurting you. I'd definitely change it to a second Filthy, and probably change Building Orders for A Noble Cause since being able to play your 5, 6 and 7 cost characters is so important for the deck.

sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2038 posts
Here's a statement we could discuss...

Both Motley and Even Handed Justice (when not played in melee) are better suited for Banner Stag than Bara main.

Rationale: you have Stannis in Bara main (also neither loyal Fealty discount bonus here) and once he is on the board, you want net kneel effects, neither of which are these cards.

Even Handed seems what a Stark Stag deck (Robb) or Greyjoy Stag (UO) or weenie Martell Stag would play. Mötley interferes with current Longship builds but again suits Stark Stag who don't otherwise pressure intrigue with the negative bouncing back to military claim. It would be weak when bannering to an Intrigue house like Martell.

I think they're really well designed cards, they feel very balanced. The steep cost of Even Handed (1C2G + action of own character) is nicely costed with its potential impact in a critical challenge phase and the rest of the game.

Mötley seems to be more for long game control resource attrition whilst Even Handef is pure tempo burst because you both paid 2 actions and you paid 1G2C - but what is the disparity in the 2 actions paid? The surprise of playing it mid-challenge. And the opportunity cost of an alternate card drawn instead?

There seems to be too little room in my Bara Fealty to fit them, not even as a toolbox 1x for options if I draw it (but I prefer focused builds). Does anyone else find this issue? The trade off of losing the dominance module which I feel is stronger in the current small boards meta is too great in my view.

Without Stannis, kneel has diminishing returns in tempo generated. The first card you kneel in a turn will have far more impact than the next card you kneel usually etc.

I may well be wrong here (often am). Thoughts?

JCWamma

JCWamma

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 2033 posts

If we're just talking synergy with Stannis, I think both cards have uses, although whether those uses are as strong as they are without Stannis is tougher to say.

For Even Handed Justice, there's the simple fact that the fewer characters an opponent has standing on the board, the greater the impact of each kneel card you run is because you're kneeling out a larger percentage of their quality characters. Obviously the tempo hit with kneeling your own character hurts more too, but all it takes is playing a weenie the next marshaling phase and you're fine with that. And looking at it from the other way, one of the larger downsides of EHJ is the cost of 2 gold; but once you have Stannis out, the incentive play out more characters is lessened, which means you're likely to have that 2 gold to spend. So overall I think the card isn't being used optimally in a Bara Fealty deck with Stannis, but it still definitely a worthwhile include if you can find room for it.

Motley is a bit ickier. On the one hand, one of the ways to dodge the downside of having this placed on your character is simply not to use them in challenges, which is a far harder sell once you only have 2 standing; on the other hand, the Stannis version of the build isn't really fussed about intrigue attrition (are you really going to kneel a precious character for a challenge you probably don't focus on?), which means that the average card quality of an opponent's hand is likely lower - you're less likely to be picking out particularly juicy targets and far more likely to be picking out duplicates of locations, dead character dupes and the like. However, if you specifically tailor your deck to have more hand attrition in it, then running 3x Motley and Stannis seems like it would be an excellent 'vice grip' to place any opponent under.

Overall I agree they work better in banners, but I think they do have a place in the traditional Bara Fealty - EHJ moreso than Motley though.

• sparrowhawk likes this

scantrell24

scantrell24

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3041 posts

JC and Sparrowhawk, those are all great points. Regarding Game of Thrones, the deck does have 2x Selyse so it's not that short on intrigue really, but you're right that Filthy is better. 

Here's a quick revision.

Plot (7)

1x  Summons

Barnie25

Barnie25

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 589 posts
Drop the milks.

Add:

1 Lightbringer
2 Hands Judgement

More stand and protecting is much more valuable. Tourney Grounds also works with HJ.

And drop a Flithy for a Wildfire, Wildfire is really important for Bara to keep a grasp on the game.
  • scantrell24 likes this

JCWamma

JCWamma

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 2033 posts

Oh, I missed the lack of Wildfire. Yeah, Wildfire isn't for every deck but it's definitely for Bara Fealty.

scantrell24

scantrell24

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3041 posts

Drop the milks.

Add:

1 Lightbringer
2 Hands Judgement

More stand and protecting is much more valuable. Tourney Grounds also works with HJ.

And drop a Flithy for a Wildfire, Wildfire is really important for Bara to keep a grasp on the game.

Done. I can get behind all of that. Thanks Ruben!
  • Barnie25 likes this